Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

sassassin posted:

It was probably a good choice as Viggo Mortensen has nowhere near the range of Bernard Hill. He couldn't pull off standing on the battlements demanding the orcs surrender as he does in the book.

This is probably an unfair comparison - anyone not speaking in their natural accent is at a huge disadvantage. It's why so many of the line readings in the movies are so awful I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Then Frodo says "Wait..." and Gandalf's eyes close like "ohhhhhh fuk"

I actually thought the best parts of the movies were the "Gandalf has a private reaction only the camera sees" bits. Same when at the council he hears Frodo offer to take it, and immediately goes "aw gently caress, this was God's plan all along, wasn't it?" before putting on a brave face for everyone.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Better Call Saul

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

6 6 is short for the nba

He’d need a big wing span and or elite quickness

Unless 6 6 is him barefoot which is about 6 8 on the nba .

I do not love the three-ball for its analytics, only for that which it spaces.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

Do you think someone sent Boromir the dream he had in order to lure him away? Perhaps not to his death, but at least to meet Aragorn?

I always assumed Boromir was just full of poo poo. Like every morning at breakfast Faramir would be all "Oh man I had the Voice from the West dream again", and finally Boromir just said "Oh yeah I totally had that one too!" so he could go.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

He was fell, and a little bit fey.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Hobbit was the best thing I had ever read when I was eight years old and life has all been downhill from there so, therefore

:same:

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

skasion posted:

SAURON (singing)
I am Sauron

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

They just sing at the goddamn wheat and it bakes itself into bread.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

skasion posted:

It tends to be associated with moral & material destitution like that of Mim or Gollum.

Yeah Mim's a degenerate for eating potatoes.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Bright blue his jacket is not

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Really? The over-the-top heroic music bursts ruin a lot of scenes for me.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

A Moose posted:

People who think the movies have too much music: I feel like its important to know, do you actually like music? There are a lot of people who don't and think its just random noise I've heard. Like Jeff Bezos for example. Apparently he thinks its a waste of time and that's actually why Amazon was so late in selling it. Some people just don't Get music.

For people who think sitcoms use laugh tracks too much, do you just not like laughter??

I don't think anyone has said the music isn't good, just that they lean on it too hard sometimes. It's been a few years since I've watched so I don't have a specific scene in mind, there's just times where I felt like it was pretty insulting that I might not get something heroic is happening if they don't toot DOO DOO DOo, DOO DOO DOO, dooodoodoo, doo doo doo

Doo doodoodoo

Or maybe you're right and I'm some kind of idiot robotman struggling to understand this human mu-sic.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Sending people off to Valinor like it's Siberia is kind of silly, but I actually do like the idea that the incoming generation of ME-born elves/humans/etc would be like "if we could just get these Boomer Noldor to shut up about their blessed treelights and the thousand years of strife we could actually build a nice pretty future here". It makes a little more sense as to how they could be arrogant enough to work with another dark lord just cause he gave himself a cool new name.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

They also have to have her (I mean not specifically Galadriel, necessarily, but whichever character they chose to represent the "we have to stay watchful" crowd) in conflict with the man to establish that everyone else thinks it's time to move on from all the doom and gloom and just make cool magic jewelry again.

I like that they made the elves more actual people, and just kind of have to accept that they've toned them down from their written versions to be more relatable. I mean the Galadriel on the page would just sing a song to that storm to put it to sleep and/or take her where she wants to go, and Elrond would probably win the rock breaking competition by whispering the terrible secrets of sediment until the rocks broke themselves. It'd be kinda funny but also boring.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

That's a description of the character before she spent centuries in a forever war against a god, in which time the brother that passage specifically calls out as closest to her heart was murdered by the guy she's now hunting. These events should have had no effect on her I guess, she should just be basically the same person from Valinor -> Fellowship?

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

"shred of evidence"... in... this fiction?

Think about it this way, if Galadriel is a perfect madonna (poster above who made this reference is spot-on, I think) through the whole history of the world, whose role is just to kinda float there unknowably while the real movers and shakers debate whether she's hotter than her niece, then what's the point of tempting her with the ring?

If she's instead acting out of character here - and other characters are pointing out this is the case, to the point her own soldiers even abandon her (and think about Elf soldiers, they're like "OK kill our cousins and take their ships? Can do", and "OK burn those ships and leave our other cousins to die in the ice? Can do") - then going from "I will do whatever it takes to bring Sauron to justice" to "Wait so I can take my archnemesis' own weapon and use it to humiliate him? Nah I'll pass" implies an interesting story I think? It kinda recontextualizes that event from being confirmation that she's a perfect angel to instead being redemptive.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I don't understand the idea that an adaptation must only be of material I've already read, and must be presented exactly as I imagined it while reading. Isn't that a waste of time? Just go read the book, it's better than TV anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

In Hobbiton slang, he was baggin' it