Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

First time reading the Hobbit for the kids. Got to 'Riddles in the Dark' with my 7 and 5 year old last night. Gollum is creepy, I had to lie with them to get them to go to sleep, and today I was repeatedly quizzed on the exact wording of the dark riddle by the oldest. They are desperate to know what happens next.

Another generation hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Imagine her ballooning and welcome to your worst nightmare.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

He didn't leave it, he lost it. Its established the ring is sentient and trying to get back to its master and it left Gollum of its own accord (fell out of his pocket or what have you). Its also why later Frodo wears it on a chain, because Bilbo tells him it has a disconcerting habit of changing size and falling off and that's why he put it on a chain in the first place.

edit: beaten like Gollum in a riddle contest

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Levitate posted:

Tolkien's life work was really the Silmarillion and he worked long and hard on that but it was never quite to his satisfaction. Then one day he sat down and wrote "In a hole in the ground lived a Hobbit". He didn't know what a Hobbit was, or if it even related to Middle Earth, but he started from there and wrote a book. Suddenly that book became a success and people were clamoring for a sequel, and he realized he could join this all together with his work on the Silmarillion. The Ring became something more than it was originally intended and things took off and suddenly the Lord of the Rings is known as his major achievement, while he's still really trying to get the Silmarillion just right.
In other words, Leaf by Niggle.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I remember the first time I read LOTR and getting to the end of ROTK and being confused and pissed off. 'Well, I'm home.' Frowns, turns page... but there's still like a fourth of the book left? What the hell is an Appendix? (in my defense I was like 11/12).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is a formula for determining the quality of any given fantasy work:

Good fantasy steals from mythology.
Mediocre fantasy steals from Tolkien.
Bad fantasy steals from D&D.

Counterpoint: Percy Jackson, which is pretty mediocre.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Greek and Roman mythology out the wazoo!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tolkien was very, very very Catholic. Like raised by a priest Catholic. If he could have reasonably swung it I'm pretty sure there would have been no sex at all in Middle Earth.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Heironymous Alloy posted:

How on earth did they leave anything out at all with that running time?
Lots of elf-inserts.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

HIJK posted:

I always thought that too. There are lots of hobbits like Sam who have dark skin. I like to take those passages and point them out to people who try to tell me that Tolkien hated brown people. Every person I've shown it to got really mad.
It was a social signifier. Back in the day, if you were tanned it meant you worked outdoors and thus were some kind of field hand or manual laborer ergo less-than. If you had milky white skin and soft hands you could afford to sit around inside all day and do nothing therefore must be rich/upper class.

Ironically enough, it switched sometime in the Roaring 20s where office work/factory work all day made you pale and sickly while having the free time to lay in the sun and work on your tan meant life of leisure.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Upon re-reading Fellowship to my son I was surprised to (re)discover that Galadriel was Celebrian's mom and thus Arwen's grandma, and Elrond was her son-in-law. That blew my mind a lil bit.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Josef K. Stardust posted:

I know LOTR's draft has been published in annotated form in a series of volumes but has there ever been a move to publish the final draft as a single volume?
Yup.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, once they left Bree Strider determined that between the 'swarthy half-orcs' that were giving them the stinkeye there and the black Rider attack afterwards their best bet was to head for the hills and take the scenic route to Rivendell. Then after the Council of Elrond the whole secret mission thing necessitated they take yet another long, circuitous route to avoid any settlements, bad guy, good guy or ? (see: Orthanc). So while they could've gone across the Misties where Bilbo et al went and hit up the Beornings and sailed on down the Anduin the whole way they decided that way was too populous/watched and went for Caradhras (which Sauron was able to throw snow at them and make them back down) then finally settled on Moria, since going through the Gap of Rohan would take them way too close to Saruman for Gandalf's liking and he didn't know what was up with the Rohirrim either since rumors of them selling black horses to Mordor were being bandied about and Gandalf and Aragorn were paranoid as all heck. Not to mention Boromir's growing obsession was probably not a good sign about going anywhere near Gondor.

Then after Lorien the river was the easiest way to avoid having to make a decision to go straight for the Black Gate or detour to Gondor and it went through what was basically no man's land between the orcs on one side of the river and the Rohirrim on the other. Boromir I think mentions that the orcs had been raiding villages on the Rohan side of the river and that's why it was so deserted, people had all pulled back to the towns and fortifications.

But yeah, Middle Earth was pretty depopulated compared to when say, the Numenoreans held sway or the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor were at their peak. I think it was supposed to be more of a post-Roman pre-midieval period.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

No Pants posted:

It isn't explicit in the book. Boromir says he hears voices in the wind and thinks the falling rocks are aimed at the party, Aragorn doesn't think there are voices but mentions old evils in the world not necessarily aligned with Sauron, and Gimli gets tinfoily about the actual mountain hating dwarves and elves. The movie takes Boromir's voices and attributes them to Saruman.

Aragon says something like 'Sauron's arm has grown long indeed if he can hurl snow at us from 300 miles away' and Gandalf replies in typical Gandalf fashion 'His arm has grown long' which I always took as confirmation that Gandalf at least thinks its Sauron behind it, but yeah ultimately its left up to the reader which they believe.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I also think Tolkien's take on PTSD (for lack of a better term) wrt Frodo was also incredibly nuanced and unprecedented both for its time and today and is also rather overlooked in any analysis of his writings. I believe Tolkien himself suffered from 'shell shock' and kind of made himself sick to avoid going back to the front. Frodo's story really is probably the most tragic of anyone's in the books.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

Tolkien didn't "kind of made himself sick to avoid going back to the front", and he didn't get 'shell shock', he had trench foot. There are :nms: images of that online if you want to see what it looks like. He served on the front for only a few months before being invalided, but that was quite common.
It wasn't trench foot, it was trench fever.

Forces War Records, National Archives posted:

Tolkien was suffering from trench fever, which is transmitted by lice, and causes fever. His records detail he had “pyrexia of unknown origin” – headaches, rashes, eye inflammation and leg pains.
He had several relapses, which I want to say I read somewhere as being interpreted by him as his body trying to keep him from going back to the war front but damned if I can find it now.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pong Daddy posted:

Nah, the Scouring was cool in the books and all but I can see how it would be jarring and detract from the climax in the films. The greatest tragedy was ghosts at Minas Tirith. All they do in the books is scare the poo poo out of some pirates at Pelargir, living men do all the real work.
Yeah, Jackson et al really dropped the ball on this theme in the translation from books to movies. Another jarring change was having the elves of Lorien show up at Helm's Deep. The elves were also part of that 'this is a world of Men now, the Elves' time is over, its up to you guys to fix this poo poo' theme that Tolkien had constantly going through the work. That's why Legolas presence is meaningful; he's supposed to be a token, not the cavalry. 'The Elves support you and all, here have an ambassador from us but that's all you'll get.' Even Elladan and Elrohir who actually DO show up and bring some Dunedain (again, Men) are only half-elven.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe most elves are utterly un-ambitious, like as long as they have wine and a tree they're cool. We only see two Elven societies (not counting Rivendell) and both of them seem to just like party in the trees all day long while occasionally taking pot-shots at passing orcs.

Hell, it takes some of them like ten thousand years just to walk across the continent westwards.

Basically what I'm saying is that Elves are mad lazy.
Get that humanocentric worldview out of here. If you functionally lived forever, why would you be in a such a goddamn hurry to do anything or go anywhere? You literally have all the time in the world (barring orc ambush or earthquake or w/e).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bendigeidfran posted:

murdering lazier Elves who refused to do something depends on their mood.
Crabs in a barrel, man, crabs in a barrel *shakes head*

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm. Question. Is the horn that Eowyn gives Merry one of the horns that gets blown on the Pellennor Fields?
Possibly. They did blow a hell of a lot of horns that day. I don't think its ever made explicit in the books though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Still pissed about Haldir and the Lorien elves showing up at Helm's Deep.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nessus posted:

I believe the Noldor had been able to kill Balrogs through force of arms at times, Galadriel could totally have made Sauron eat the mat. :colbert:
Yeah she could've taken him but not without risking putting herself up in his place because she'd have had to actively use her ring to do it. Passive use of the rings (e.g. keeping Lorien ageless) doesn't seem to trigger the 'Sauron gonna get you' condition but active use...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nessus posted:

You would think they might have perhaps cut it, that's what's typically done with gems...
I think the idea was it was so bitchin' and perfect when they found it that they didn't want to.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Has anyone ever tried to explain what's wrong with a nice deep dungeon? Surely the Numenoreans would have had use for one, even if Saruman himself never had the time to get round to digging one out.
Tend to get infested with Balrogs.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

joat mon posted:

Granted. How about express trains?
Obviously a quickly-made trailing bit of dress, decorated quite 'loudly.' (Where's my no-prize?)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

End Of Worlds posted:

the elf vagoo post is an outstanding work of scholarship and merits publication in a peer-reviewed journal
That is elise. She is amazing. Go read her ICU nurse blog. I think she's actually writing a book.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Has anyone ever given LOTR or the Hobbit the Wide Sargasso Sea treatment? Written from the perspective of say, Sauron, or Saruman, or the orcs or what have you?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

tha'ts the last ringbearer

People in thread were making it sound more like a parody not a serious treatment.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ashcans posted:

The weirdest thing about that (I mean besides the obvious) is that he's claiming descent from the Kings of Wales, not England. So even if he could prove it, all he would be demonstrating is a claim to the theoretical crone of Wales, which hasn't existed since it was annexed by England. I mean he could return to Wales and claim his birthright and try to raise an army to seize independence or something, but nothing about his claim entitles him to the throne of England. :shrug: Why would you go to all that trouble and not at least claim the right lineage?

Isn't one of the titles of the crown prince Prince of Wales?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skasion posted:

This much is clear, but Tolkien doesn't really say whether it was a functional state or more of a northern vacation spot for the King. The north kingdom doesn't ever seem to have been very populous or well founded: it doesn't seem to have had any major population centers besides Annuminas and later Fornost, which is more a fortification than a town (contrast Gondor with its major city and two large heartland castle towns, as well as the major port cities of Pelargir and Umbar and another fortified town at Dol Amroth). The fact that Annuminas was abandoned either before or at the same time as the partition of Arnor suggests that the kingdom, or certainly the successor principalities, had no especial use for it; possibly its construction was never more than a boondoggle on Elendil's part.

e: now that I dig at it I see Tolkien alludes to Rohirric settlers in Enedwaith during the fourth age, which does hint at a larger effort to revitalize and repopulate Eriador under the King.
I don't remember where I read it but supposedly Tolkien was setting all this in a post-plague era, which is why you have such sparsely populated once-settled and civilized now returned to nature feel about the lands they travel through.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

One of the hallmarks of Tolkiens 'wise' characters is that they seldom tell anyone exactly what to do, but instead lay out the situation so that what needs to be done is obvious. But as Frodo pointed out to Gildor, this leads to real problems when the right course of action isn't clear. But part of the wisdom of the wise is that they can't make people's decisions for them. That is really what separates Saruman and Sauron from Gandalf. Saruman and Sauron want to control, while Gandalf is content to be an advisor and helper. This is also why the ring is such a threat to Gandalf, because it would make him want to contol people.
I thought this was Tolkien's Catholicism peeking through vis a vis all powerful beings knowing what's going to happen but still having to give people free will to screw up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My 11 year old told me the other night he liked the Eragon series more than LOTR. I told him to get out of my house. Some things are just inexcusable. But he's a dumbass 11 year old I'm sure as he matures he'll come around.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nessus posted:

I feel like Denethor is more about semi-willing embrace of defeatism. If you want a Hitler in the story you’ve got about five better candidates.

Denethor is the personification of the mortal sin of despair. Tolkien's Catholic as gently caress.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Glorfindel also has weird poo poo going on since he explicitly died in the Silmarillion iirc.

Elves are reincarnated, they're bound to the 'circles of the world' and thus do not enjoy/suffer the Gift/Doom of Man (e.g. to leave the circles of Middle Earth after they die. And go where? Nobody knows, but its why its such a big deal for elves to choose to marry a human and why only three had done it in the recorded history of the elves.) IIRC they chill out in the Halls of Mandos for awhile before being reborn.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wasn't there something about Saruman using foul magics to make half-breed men-orcs also though? WHich would explain why the Isengard orcs were taller and able to bear the light of day though they still hated it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

http://pyrrhiccomedy.tumblr.com/post/152255810742/first-things-first-we-actually-do-know-what-elves No idea who this tumblr is or whether its properly credited, but I think this is Elise's original post in full.

They do credit elise at the end of the post only its ascribed to the 'ask me about making fantasy dildoes' thread and not this one (where I believe it was reposted or a link was provided).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I think that post fails to support the claim that the elven vagina is a mass of tentacles. It supports there being at least one tentacle well, though

It'd have to be at least two: one for the cock-ringing and one for the sounding effect.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I took it as an article of faith; Men and Elves don't know where Men go when they die they just know Man's fate isn't tied with the world itself which will eventually end forever, whereas the Elves are 'bound up within the circles of the world' and so Middle Earth's fate is theirs as well. It was called the Gift of Man because to undying elves they get to escape this never ending circle of life death rebirth thing, later it became the Doom of Man because WHO KNOWS and at least knowing what's going to happen is better than not knowing at all and just having to take Manwe or whoever's word for it that whatever happens is a blessing.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skasion posted:

Doom isn’t necessarily negatively connoted word in Tolkien either (it comes from OE word meaning judgment or decision rather than like, inevitable disaster). The doom of men is what was foreordained for them, it’s only as terrible as fear makes it.

This still ties into faith, though. The first thing every messenger of the Lord in the Bible says upon first showing up and scaring the piss out of whoever they're there to talk to is 'Be not afraid.' They KNOW they're scary as poo poo to mere mortals. You just have to take their word for it they're not there to hurt you. Also when you're using 'Doom' as a counterpoint to the original 'Gift' that does seem to hint at a bit of forboding. Nobody likes to be judged, even if they think the judgement's going to go in their favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skasion posted:

This is a surprisingly common take, but it’s factually inaccurate as to how Tolkien composed LOTR. Its world and history were made up on the fly to service his plot.
No.

The world and its history were made up years and years before he started writing, the man was an utter nerd and this was a lifetime hobby of his. He liked languages so made up his own then wanted to make up a people who would speak them and a world in which they would live.

JRR Tolkien his own self, in his own words posted:

The invention of languages is the foundation. The ‘stories’ were made rather to provide a world for the languages than the reverse. [. . .] It is to me, anyway, largely an essay in ‘linguistic aesthetic’, as I sometimes say to people who ask me ‘what is it all about’ (Carpenter 219-220).

Nobody believes me when I say that my long book (LOTR) is an attempt to create a world in which a form of language agreeable to my personal aesthetic might seem real, […] it was an effort to create a situation in which a common greeting would be elen sila lumenn omentielmo (Carpenter 264-265).