Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

We're fifty episodes/two years (in like two weeks) into the Russian Revolution and Mike just introduced Rasputin; we've probably got at least two more years to go, especially since he's got another book coming out that'll he have to tour and promote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Appoda posted:

I was into Our Fake History until he started doing subjects that either didn't have much of a story, or was obviously false like "did aliens build the pyramids." I think he's trying to speak to a younger audience and disprove some of the more dangerous conspiracy theories out there, which is part and parcel with the pod title and not a bad thing at all, but I get that stuff well enough from my more in depth pods.

His podcasting style is also like he's always stretching for time. Between the intro, his second intro, the ads, his slow and deliberate delivery method, and the patreon shill, there's like 15-20 minutes of podcast in every episode.

Yeah... I haven't listened to it before but was interested in the Ethiopia episodes. I'm on the second one, it's 23 minutes into a 66 minute podcast, and he hasn't started yet. Probably not going to listen to any of the other ones after this.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Lions Led by Donkeys is the podcast I keep meaning to listen to. Heard the host guest on a couple other pods and he seemed like a cool dude.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Appoda posted:

Lions Led by Donkeys is the podcast I keep meaning to listen to. Heard the host guest on a couple other pods and he seemed like a cool dude.

It's real real goddamn good. The Iran-Iraq series is great, the Soviet-Afghan one is even better.

Everyone seems to rave about the Napoleon in Russia series (and it's v.good) but those two are really some next-level work.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 8, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

It's real real goddamn good. The Iran-Iraq series is great, the Soviet-Afghan one is even better.

Everyone seems to rave about the Napoleon in Russia series (and it's v.good) but those two are really some next-level work.

Huh, this is very much my thing, I'll look into it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cockblocktopus posted:

We're fifty episodes/two years (in like two weeks) into the Russian Revolution and Mike just introduced Rasputin; we've probably got at least two more years to go, especially since he's got another book coming out that'll he have to tour and promote.

I wonder if he regrets doing 1905 at this point. Obviously there were delays not related to his pace in the actual podcast, but even if it's not actually another two years, he's going to dramatically overshoot his summer 2021 mark for ending this thing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sinteres posted:

I wonder if he regrets doing 1905 at this point. Obviously there were delays not related to his pace in the actual podcast, but even if it's not actually another two years, he's going to dramatically overshoot his summer 2021 mark for ending this thing.

The problem is, in order to tell the narrative in a digestible way for the kind of audience that listens to history podcasts, you are obligated to do 1905 if you do 1917 and there is no way to get around that.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I suspect Mike Duncan's regrets are more along the vein of "gyah, I should have spent more time on"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Arrhythmia posted:

I suspect Mike Duncan's regrets are more along the vein of "gyah, I should have spent more time on"

Especially on the English Civil Wars

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CommonShore posted:

*chuckles softly every time mike duncan says the series will be 13 episodes long each*

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He's also on record that were he to do the American Revolution over, he'd take a completely different approach to it.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

CommonShore posted:

I would love nothing more than for Mike to do 30 episodes on the English Civil War

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It gets weird trying to sort through sort through important events that you were brought up mythologizing. Even when you push past the myth, you'll be prone to putting all your philosophical thoughts about the country into your read of the events and maybe just fall into a hole of being blanketly contrarian towards the myths.

At the very least, Mike Duncan has got the hang of digging deep into events to bring out some interesting stuff while still keeping episodes in digestible sizes. I hope he manages to finish the last season and do it justice, but if he doesn't, he'll at least learn something about pacing his projects.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I remember him mentioning how much he liked John Lambert and wishing he'd had more time to go off on that. Seems like an interesting dude. Pax Britannica is coming up on that time period though

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Turns out there's a new episode of HH Addendum (Malcolm Gladwell on American bombing campaign in WWII).

I'm not sure that anyone ever referred to The Hitler Channel as "The WWII Channel".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gladwell is one of the most boring people I've ever had the displeasure of listening too. I can't imagine he has any good insights or thoughts on anything of note

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

He's happy to talk about how little he knew Jeffrey Epstein when they hung out together.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gaius Marius posted:

Gladwell is one of the most boring people I've ever had the displeasure of listening too. I can't imagine he has any good insights or thoughts on anything of note

what sucks is the topic is an interesting one but i know he will just turn it into some dumb asspulled fable for some self help grift poo poo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you're tempted to listen to Malcolm Gladwell download a podcast on a topic you know a lot about and then count how many times he says things that are wrong in the first 10 minutes and then delete it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm a big fan of the one episode of the podcast I listened to where he made sweeping claims about US policy in Vietnam after interviewing one person. Then somehow spent more than half the rest talking about himself.

It was a tour de force, I've never seen someone so completely fail at analyzing a historical event.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CommonShore posted:

If you're tempted to listen to Malcolm Gladwell download a podcast on a topic you know a lot about and then count how many times he says things that are wrong in the first 10 minutes and then delete it.

Could pretty much say the same thing about Carlin lol. The perfect HH guest host.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I feel like Gladwell had a semi-interesting podcast years ago that I've long since stopped listening to. I can't even remember what it was about lol, just that it had a lot of ads for Zip Recruiter

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

I feel like Gladwell had a semi-interesting podcast years ago that I've long since stopped listening to. I can't even remember what it was about lol, just that it had a lot of ads for Zip Recruiter

Isn’t that the podcast where he literally wanted people to not have an episode title or topic in the description and just to listen to whatever he wanted to talk about no matter what?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

CommonShore posted:

What I call the 'Yuval Noah Harari experience'.

I just listened to the tides of history episode on the indus valley civilization, super interesting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BTW the Malcolm Gladwell episode I had that experience with was the one about satire, where he makes the claim that history's most (and only?) successful piece of satire is some dumbass British fish out of water class comedy from the 90s, like this show changed the world in a way that nothing else has. Like, never mind literally every other piece of loving historical satire. There are so many easy counter examples that I'm tripping over myself and sputtering mad just thinking about how to choose good and illustrative examples that meet his criteria but in a way better and clearer way. It's such a nonsensical claim that I can't even formulate a coherent response.

e. productive edit
I've worked through Fall of Civilizations - that one had a couple episodes where there were a few suspect claims, particularly the Aztec one. We got into discussing this in the MilHist thread, but he had this bit about Old World / New World historical/technological progress that made me raise an eyebrow, and then someone posted a paragraph from a book about the Comanche which makes me wonder if FoC plagiarized from it. Overall I've enjoyed the series but that left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm getting into When Diplomacy Fails now, beginning with the World War I special and I'm enjoying this too. This guy is quite good at letting the material be entertaining, and sometimes even funny, without having to shoehorn jokes in there.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 16, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kanonvandekempen posted:

What I call the 'Yuval Noah Harari experience'.

I've picked up Sapiens in a book store several times because it sounds super interesting. I flip it open to a random page, read it, then put it down and back away. It feels like superficial observations passed off as profundities.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Count Roland posted:

I've picked up Sapiens in a book store several times because it sounds super interesting. I flip it open to a random page, read it, then put it down and back away. It feels like superficial observations passed off as profundities.

That's like half of all pop science publications.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CommonShore posted:

e. productive edit
I've worked through Fall of Civilizations - that one had a couple episodes where there were a few suspect claims, particularly the Aztec one. We got into discussing this in the MilHist thread, but he had this bit about Old World / New World historical/technological progress that made me raise an eyebrow, and then someone posted a paragraph from a book about the Comanche which makes me wonder if FoC plagiarized from it. Overall I've enjoyed the series but that left a sour taste in my mouth.

Yeah, that's a strange lapse from him given the way he approached the story of Easter Island and the Greenland Vikings, but when it comes to the civilizations of the Americas writers seem to lose their minds at the scale of their collapses and lurch from one over-generalization to another. Like you said, he had a lot of detail about their agriculture that didn't bear on the essential details of the events that led to their defeat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The problem with creating historical content about the native civilizations of the Americas is that there is incredibly sparse historical record to work from. Many of them didn't keep written records in the traditional sense (ie: quipus) or if they did the conquistadors systematically hunted them down and burned them because they considered them heretical. So you're primarily left with archeological findings, first hand accounts from the Europeans who invaded and destroyed the native empires, and a handful of interviews of native survivors by curious Europeans about what their life was like after it was mostly already destroyed. That's a really shaky and potentially unreliable base to start from, and there are only more gaps to fill in from there. I'm not saying any of this justifies the huge leaps in logic and sweeping generalizations historians tend to break out when talking about the Aztecs, Mayans, Inca, etc; I can see though how it would be really difficult to create a three hour podcast about the history of the Aztecs without doing so though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Question about Donkeys leading Lions: I started listening to it as I do, a couple of the first episodes coupled with the latest, before doing all the archives, as I'm a completionist. It's fine so far, but are they military fetishists? I know they are soldiers themselves, but something that I really hated from the latest Carlin interview and Carlin in general these days is how much he lionizes (no pun intended) the military, and I got that a bit from these dudes. I get the necessity of an army and I get why a lot of people enlist, but I'm pacifist enough that I don't wholly subscribe to Our Army=Heroes mentality and it's not something I feel like listening to.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Theyre current and former military and are 100% non-moto. They named the podcast after a wry British phrase from WWI that is about the futility of war and the common soldier being meaningless to The Brass, who are out for themselves. The theme of the podcast is historical military blunders and how for the past 4000 years both Joe and war have never changed. When they talk about their own experience, it is rarely flattering to either themselves or militarism.

If you find them to be too rah-rah for ARE TROOPS perhaps Pacifica Radio has some podcasts for you.

Edit: The creator/host wrote a book about his time on active duty called "The Hooligans of Kandahar: Not All War Stories are Heroic." Rest easy that he is not pro war or even pro military.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 16, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool thanks. The thought came up with the Bill Millin episode, but even it came with a grain of salt. I just wanted to be sure. The early episodes are a bit rough, but the latest ones show promise and I think I'll overall enjoy the archives of this show.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sydin posted:

The problem with creating historical content about the native civilizations of the Americas is that there is incredibly sparse historical record to work from. Many of them didn't keep written records in the traditional sense (ie: quipus) or if they did the conquistadors systematically hunted them down and burned them because they considered them heretical. So you're primarily left with archeological findings, first hand accounts from the Europeans who invaded and destroyed the native empires, and a handful of interviews of native survivors by curious Europeans about what their life was like after it was mostly already destroyed. That's a really shaky and potentially unreliable base to start from, and there are only more gaps to fill in from there. I'm not saying any of this justifies the huge leaps in logic and sweeping generalizations historians tend to break out when talking about the Aztecs, Mayans, Inca, etc; I can see though how it would be really difficult to create a three hour podcast about the history of the Aztecs without doing so though.

Yeah but the claim was not load-bearing to his narrative in any way - was basically "Agriculture started in the Americas five thousand years later than in the Old World, so the Old World had a five thousand year head start on Civilization, and so the Americas were so far behind that they never had a chance." It was sandwiched between descriptions of the technical ingenuity and cultural complexity of the societies in question on one hand, and on descriptions of the massive depopulation from disease on the other.

Had that section simply been deleted from the podcast nothing would have been lost.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Porfiriato posted:

As a complement to those two, I'd also mention With Chinese Characteristics. They take a bit lighter approach to Chinese history while still managing to cover the bases of whatever topic they're talking about.

I've started listening to the last several episodes after, of all things, seeing a banner ad it for it here, and found it worthwhile. Apparently at least one (maybe both?) of the hosts are goons - any podcast that uses this graphic for their episode on the kidnapping of Sun Yat-Sen definitely has some goon stink on them:

Yes, that is us! I appreciate the kind words.

I know some people in here prefer the very focused and lengthy exploration of topics some other podcasts do, but neither of us is a professional historian (and we both have day jobs) so we'd never be able to match that level of detail. Also sometimes we talk about modern stuff because modern chinese politics and society gets us down and we need to vent.

Instead we try to find topics that interest us personally, and do as much research as we can to give context to the event (and hopefully get across why we think its interesting). Chinese history and culture of the past 200 years is so crazy and chaotic and interesting that we enjoy doing the podcast for fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CommonShore posted:

I'm late to Duncan-chat but yeah. I actually started at French and worked forward, only rolling back to ECW after catching up on Russia, and it is almost comedic how rushed and shallow the ECW series feels relative to anything French and forward. I honestly am not even sure if I listened to his ARW series, but just from the episode descriptions it does not look good.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

PittTheElder posted:

I'm late to Duncan-chat but yeah. I actually started at French and worked forward, only rolling back to ECW after catching up on Russia, and it is almost comedic how rushed and shallow the ECW series feels relative to anything French and forward. I honestly am not even sure if I listened to his ARW series, but just from the episode descriptions it does not look good.

If you listened to the rest of it you might as well

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Don't bother with the American Revolution episodes imo, especially if you're actually American. As noted earlier, he's said he'd cover them differently if he did it now (inspired by doing the Haitian Revolution), but as it stands if you already have familiarity with the subject you aren't going to get much in the way of a new perspective.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Don't bother with the American Revolution episodes imo, especially if you're actually American. As noted earlier, he's said he'd cover them differently if he did it now (inspired by doing the Haitian Revolution), but as it stands if you already have familiarity with the subject you aren't going to get much in the way of a new perspective.

OTOH, I've heard non Americans be pretty OK with it, because a basic primer is less offensive when you're not already familiar with the material.

Gentleman Johnny's Party Train is the Revoltuions shirt I ended up with, so maybe I'm biased. I wish he one about Robespierre's very narrow path.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As a non-American I though they were pretty decent. We get a fair amount of American history in Canadian classrooms but outside the classroom you don’t really get any ARW stuff so the primer was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jordan7hm posted:

As a non-American I though they were pretty decent. We get a fair amount of American history in Canadian classrooms but outside the classroom you don’t really get any ARW stuff so the primer was good.

Same