Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

radlum posted:

Same; I actually don't really care that much about Lafayette, but I wanted to support Mike so I ended up preordering the book. Hopefully the next one is on something that interests me more (but I'm gonna buy it anyway).

Hope you like the Crisis of the Third Century!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The only problem I can see is the crisis is kind of weak on details that a narrative historian like Mike likes

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, there are only so many ways you can say "he was stabbed by his bodyguards"

Still looking forward to it though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only problem I can see is the crisis is kind of weak on details that a narrative historian like Mike likes

That's why I'm looking forward to it. Like the previous book, it's a period that shows up in other books but (at least in English) has very little in the way of books focused entirely on it. Having a single compilation of current research on the crisis would be fantastic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though I guess it depends on when he starts the crisis. The death of Septimus? Caracalla? The defeat of Decius? Many different points

Though we will see a lot of “they called him Phillip the Arab and we have no idea why”

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

When I borrowed The Storm is Upon Us from the library to read about Q nonsense, I did not expect multiple appearances from Brian Dunning of all people. All I could think of when he was quoted (multiple times!!) was the poster in this thread who listened to Skeptoid after Dunning was arrested for wire fraud and had a good lol about how often he had sour grapes about people giving money to 'pop stars' instead of him. Is there a reason I don't know about why he'd be good to quote in a book about Q, or was he just, like. Not busy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No idea why they'd quote the man whose all about being rational and following evidence instead of jumping to conspiracy theories in a book about Q

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I wouldn't quote a convicted fraudster in a book about fraudsters unless he was talking shop

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Dunning is very much in that class of sceptic / debunker whose explanations involve labelling other people as stupid and who think they're too smart to be fooled. The whole fraud thing is a natural extension of that.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Nice, looks like Slow Burn is coming back in a few weeks with a series on the ‘92 LA riots. Hosted by Joel Anderson who did their Biggie and Tupac series a few years back so it should be pretty solid.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

Nice, looks like Slow Burn is coming back in a few weeks with a series on the ‘92 LA riots. Hosted by Joel Anderson who did their Biggie and Tupac series a few years back so it should be pretty solid.

I did like the biggie and Tupac series a lot, but was one year at all good? Their Iraq war series felt a little too into the Democrat narrative, if I remember correctly, rather than actually taking all the culpable folks to task on both sides. But again, if I remember correctly. I dipped like halfway through because it felt like it would take a moment to thank the Daily Show for saving the country or something. Yes, I am being hyperbolic.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Any tips for a podcast or audio book that covers the Russian Civil War? I'm enjoying Revolutions covering the Russian revolution, but it's such a slow drip and I don't know how much further into that period the show's going to go.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

He said the other day on Twitter he’s fully intending to cover the civil war period as well.

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1455909715016306690?s=21

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I totally get why after so many years he'd like to put a bow on things after Russia and move on to another project, but it is a drat shame Duncan isn't going to cover the Iranian Revolution.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

webmeister posted:

He said the other day on Twitter he’s fully intending to cover the civil war period as well.

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1455909715016306690?s=21

I'm pretty sure he said he's going up until the death of Lenin

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Sydin posted:

I totally get why after so many years he'd like to put a bow on things after Russia and move on to another project, but it is a drat shame Duncan isn't going to cover the Iranian Revolution.

He said that the top of the pile of considerations that he just wouldn't be able to get to was the Irish and Iranian revolutions. But you have to admit that the Iranian revolution especially would be a challenge. The pronunciation would be dreadful, but even more than that it's way outside of European history and sources will be difficult for an American who doesn't speak even a scrap of the language.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I suppose I would want to know if there are any podcasts which DO cover those revolutions.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

twerking on the railroad posted:

He said that the top of the pile of considerations that he just wouldn't be able to get to was the Irish and Iranian revolutions. But you have to admit that the Iranian revolution especially would be a challenge. The pronunciation would be dreadful, but even more than that it's way outside of European history and sources will be difficult for an American who doesn't speak even a scrap of the language.

Well I guess he just needs to learn Farsi then :colbert:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I guess I'll just have to be patient, then. I'm kind of surprised how few audio resources I could find on the subject, though - it seems like sort of a big deal in history!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My suspicion, based on absolutely nothing other than having paid attention to him for many years worth of his work, is that Duncan will do his next project for a while and then maybe bop back over to do another Revolution season in a year or two or three. The way he has structured his inquiry and organized his material makes that basically a seamless and effortless prospect.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m about 5-6 episodes into the Spanish American series on Revolutions and it’s not grabbing me the same way as the previous ones.

I’m not sure if it means that I just need to take a break so I can listen with fresh ears or if it’s genuinely less interesting than the earlier seasons. Maybe it’s because it seems to focus a lot of time on Spain relative to the Americas?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

whydirt posted:

I’m about 5-6 episodes into the Spanish American series on Revolutions and it’s not grabbing me the same way as the previous ones.

I’m not sure if it means that I just need to take a break so I can listen with fresh ears or if it’s genuinely less interesting than the earlier seasons. Maybe it’s because it seems to focus a lot of time on Spain relative to the Americas?

It also heavily overlaps with the French and Haitian Revolutions and hits on themes also explored in the American Revolution, so I can see how you might find it less interesting coming off of those 3.

I enjoyed it, though, so I'd suggest a break and then coming back to it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the Spanish American season had issues with having to keep track of too much at once and a lot getting dropped in the process, which kinda mirrors Simon Bolivar's issues with keeping track of all the places he was winning independence for and failing to keep them together as his dreamed Gran Columbia. Argentina and Chile only barely got touched on.

I think more of the season ends up focusing on Venezuela/Columbia and Simon Bolivar than on Spain. so I'd encourage you to at least hold on until those make it into the picture, but if your issue is that it's too loose of a narrative, maybe you could jump into the Mexican Revolution instead, because that is just such a tight narrative over a cast of characters it feels like a TV drama. If you want more philosophical developments, then the 1848 revolutions also have issues with jumping around, but they explore Europeans having to develop new systems instead of just aristocrats winning independence from old monarchs.

There is a sort of overarching narrative you get through the podcast where previous revolutions keep leading to the expansion of thought into what future revolutions could do, so there's that interlinking the seasons (and of course, a bunch of faces from previous revolutions keep popping up in the later ones), but you don't have to go through fully chronologically if you feel like you just don't enjoy a bit.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I actually started with the Mexican season and that was actually really nice even if I didn't see the structure from previous seasons

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I keep trying to start from the very beginning but its just so dull. Will i miss some sort of context for skipping English Civil War? Where do you recommend I start in that case?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

I keep trying to start from the very beginning but its just so dull. Will i miss some sort of context for skipping English Civil War? Where do you recommend I start in that case?

The French revolution.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

In terms of narrative you can safely skip the English Civil War and American Revolution if you find those periods boring.

The French Revolution, 1830 Revolution, and 1848 are hugely important and a must-listen

Haitian Revolution is it’s own separate narrative but a must listen because it gets 0 attention anywhere else. I knew nothing about this Revolution and this series imo is one of Duncan’s best.

South American Revolution and the trials of Francisco de Miranda and Simon Bolivar gets unwieldy so I don’t blame anyone if they bounce off of it. The narrative doesn’t really play into the other Revolutions. That said, I suggest giving it a try since again, South American history barely gets any coverage in Europe/N. America.

The rest (Mexican, Paris Commune, and the ongoing Russian) are of course also must-listens.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I skipped the French Revolution (not out of any principle; I just found the podcast when he was already 20something episodes in) and everything before it. He makes the odd reference to Danton or Robespierre but for the most part I'd never know I was missing anything (outside of the other parts that happen in France).

Haiti is a good starting point but also probably the most French Revolution-heavy segment aside from the 1830 and 1848 French sections.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I listened to France then jumped straight into the Napoleon biography he recommended. It really was a good throughline.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

just listen to them all they're free and you're not doing anything better with your life also the English Civil War is amazing and I want him to go back and give it the 50 episode treatment it deserves

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I think the Spanish American Revolutions is probably the second weakest after the American Revolution series.

I actually quite liked the English Civil War series but I think that's just because I'm british and it does not get talk about enough here, especially the proto-revolutionary aspects, plus I think one of Mike Duncan's key reads of the early French revolution is Louis XVI's desire to not being Charles I which is worth getting context for.

Haiti is obviously phenomenal and could be a good jumping on point.

I'm not actually enjoying the Russian Revolution all that much, it's just gotten a bit bloated and unwieldy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AceOfFlames posted:

Nah the ECW series I also found very dull, same with the ARW series. It really picks up with the French series, Haiti is amazing, as is 1848 and Russia so far.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PittTheElder posted:

Nah the ECW series I also found very dull, same with the ARW series.

Same, I found both of those boring. I'd probably start with Haiti. There is obviously a French Revolution context there, but if you're the kind of person who listens to history podcasts you probably already know enough about the French Revolution you aren't going to be confused by anything.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Duncan also deserves credit for making 1848 into something listenable which is a miracle.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

OPAONI posted:

I listened to France then jumped straight into the Napoleon biography he recommended. It really was a good throughline.

Which biography was this, exactly? And I thought I was weird for not really feeling the Spanish-American independence section - good to know that I'm not the only person to bounce off of it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Which biography was this, exactly? And I thought I was weird for not really feeling the Spanish-American independence section - good to know that I'm not the only person to bounce off of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-Life-Andrew-Roberts/dp/0143127853

I really enjoyed it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Has anyone listened to Pax Brittania? What's it like? I heard an ad for it this week and it caught my attention.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Thank you!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Carlin's got an episode with Elon musk on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Gaius Marius posted:

Carlin's got an episode with Elon musk on

:ohno: