Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Gave a listen to the first few episodes of the British History Podcast, and I gotta say I don't like it. The host sounds like he should be narrating listicle videos on youtube.

yeah same I dropped it after a couple episodes because of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've been listening to the history of ancient egypt podcast, it's good and right now at Akhenaten so it's an exciting time. The host has a calm way of speaking which is nice, it can even get a little dull if you listen for too long.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

mike12345 posted:

yeah same I dropped it after a couple episodes because of that

Those first episodes are rough, but in his defense, this was right after he started podcasting. He gets a lot better/less rambly as things go on. That said, I get why you wouldn't necessarily want to sit through a few dozen episodes waiting for him to get his feet under him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

Player FM is what I use. I don't think there's a download queue, if there is one I haven't needed to use it, but when you subscribe you can choose how you want it to download. So for like a history in order podcast you can set it to start with the first episode and download X episodes when you're on wifi, and it'll always keep X number of episodes ready for you.

E: To be clear subscribe to the podcast, Player FM is free.
I thought I was the only one. Yeah, the player works and it lets me download everything, which I needed when I was commuting through multiple dead zones every day.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What are some good "History of-" podcasts? I'm already listening to History of English and History of China, and could use a few more. Other history/geography podcasts I enjoy include Fall of Civilizations, Our Fake History and Extremities. I've seen people suggest History of Rome and Byzantium so those are already on my to-do list.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ibblebibble posted:

What are some good "History of-" podcasts? I'm already listening to History of English and History of China, and could use a few more. Other history/geography podcasts I enjoy include Fall of Civilizations, Our Fake History and Extremities. I've seen people suggest History of Rome and Byzantium so those are already on my to-do list.

Rome

You've got 100 hours right?

There is a reason why Mike Duncan is a celebrity in the podcast world

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
History of Rome is I think a must listen if you're into this kind of podcast.

There has also been a certain amount of joy in watching the multi-year radicalization of Mike Duncan.

There was an episode earlier on in the History of Rome where he said something to the effect of "this just goes to show how easy life is when you meet your obligations" in reference to some Roman aristocrat. I smacked of a certain amount of comfortable suburban Republicanism. Then listening to him slowly become more and more sympathetic to the working class and lower strata of society over the course of Revolutions after focusing on the elites at the start of the series. Then today following him on twitter where he seems on the verge of being sympathetic to calls for the guillotine if not quite supportive.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Yeah, I feel like the Haitian and Southern American revolutions really changed something in him

It's been fun to watch

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I did say that Rome and Byzantium are already on my to-do lists :v: I'll add Revolutions too it seems.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
fwiw I think revolutions is better than Rome, but Rome is Rome

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Kazak_Hstan posted:

fwiw I think revolutions is better than Rome, but Rome is Rome

Yeah, by Revolutions he had figured out what he was doing, Rome is pretty charming and the back half is filled fun emperors no one knows, like Maximunius Thrax

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kazak_Hstan posted:

History of Rome is I think a must listen if you're into this kind of podcast.

There has also been a certain amount of joy in watching the multi-year radicalization of Mike Duncan.

There was an episode earlier on in the History of Rome where he said something to the effect of "this just goes to show how easy life is when you meet your obligations" in reference to some Roman aristocrat. I smacked of a certain amount of comfortable suburban Republicanism. Then listening to him slowly become more and more sympathetic to the working class and lower strata of society over the course of Revolutions after focusing on the elites at the start of the series. Then today following him on twitter where he seems on the verge of being sympathetic to calls for the guillotine if not quite supportive.

Revolutions by his own admission radicalized the hell out of Duncan and it rules.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

How could it not? I get being afraid of "the mob" due to the violence it can cause but once you scratch a bit more, it's 300% justified, considering the horrors they had to deal with

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He specifically points to Haiti as his breaking point, with everything downhill from there. Particular standout points are his clear support of the communards for Paris, his disdain for the liberal in 1848 (and everything else really), and his opening Russia with 10 episodes that are basically one of the best revolutionary theory 101 breakdowns you are going to get.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

He specifically points to Haiti as his breaking point, with everything downhill from there. Particular standout points are his clear support of the communards for Paris, his disdain for the liberal in 1848 (and everything else really), and his opening Russia with 10 episodes that are basically one of the best revolutionary theory 101 breakdowns you are going to get.

Did he finish Russia yet? I only listen when they're done as they're great to binge and it's easier to keep track of who is who.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He has one more episode for 1905 and then he is going on hiatus until October.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rody One Half posted:

Yeah Russian revolution has been extremely good so far. I expect I will re-listen to it whenever he finishes. I’m sad he is going to end Reveolutions when this is over, but this is a great final season. Seems like there are some really good revolutions left he could do, like Cuba, or China, or Vietnam, but it’s probably unreasonable to expect him to put the effort in to cover every single revolution.

I really hope whatever his next project is is a podcast.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

He has one more episode for 1905 and then he is going on hiatus until October.

Is he going to do the 1917 one?

If not I think it makes sense why he isn't doing the 20th century revolutions. They're a different paradigm from the movements of the 19th century of which you could argue the 1905 Russian Revolution is the "last" of them.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he’s doing the whole shebang.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

1917 is why he is coming back from hiatus in October

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

History of Egypt is very well presented and researched and gives a great appreciation for just how drat long Egypt has been around.

History of the Crusades has a rough first season, which is unfortunate as it's wear she covers all the Crusades people have heard of. But even if the mic quality sucks and she mis names the hagia Sophia for a hundred episodes it's still well researched and entertaining, once she hits the crusade against the cathars though is when it really hits it's stride. She slows down massively and introduces you to some real interesting and weird dudes who radically changed the trajectory of southern France.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
Are there any decent Mexican history podcasts in English? I want something longform and dense if possible. Every one-off I hear on the topic seems to only cover the basics of Mesoamerican societies and/or conquistador atrocities.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Are there any decent Mexican history podcasts in English? I want something longform and dense if possible. Every one-off I hear on the topic seems to only cover the basics of Mesoamerican societies and/or conquistador atrocities.

The Revolutions series on the mexican revolution is good. The first few episodes cover mexico's history from independence to the Porfiriato, before getting stuck into the reasons the porfirian regime collapsed and the course of the revolution.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Eggplant Ronin posted:

There's the Mexican Revolution series of Revolutions, that has a p.deece amount of additional history in it.

IIRC he did a bunch of Mexican History coursework at one point so he seems to know what he's talking about?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, at one point he just records himself reading an essay he turned in on the fall of the porfiriato.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

History of Egypt is very well presented and researched and gives a great appreciation for just how drat long Egypt has been around.

History of the Crusades has a rough first season, which is unfortunate as it's wear she covers all the Crusades people have heard of. But even if the mic quality sucks and she mis names the hagia Sophia for a hundred episodes it's still well researched and entertaining, once she hits the crusade against the cathars though is when it really hits it's stride. She slows down massively and introduces you to some real interesting and weird dudes who radically changed the trajectory of southern France.

The Egypt one was on my radar, thanks for the one on the Crusades though. Looks like it ended last Dec, I assume the Baltic Crusades were the last ones anyway? :v:

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

I bounced off the show before but I'll give those Revolutions eps a try. I'm just hoping it's more than a White academic detailing how and when my ancestors got hosed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

The Egypt one was on my radar, thanks for the one on the Crusades though. Looks like it ended last Dec, I assume the Baltic Crusades were the last ones anyway? :v:

She's taking a break and then coming back with a series on the reconguista actually, it's probably also worth noting that for a buck on her patreon, you get access to about forty episodes on the war of the roses, and one on Joan of arc. If your looking for more content it's highly worth it

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Eggplant Ronin posted:

The Fall of Civilizations podcast has an Aztecs episode that is a few hours long but might fall a bit to far into what you're not looking for.

Eggplant Ronin posted:

I bounced off the show before but I'll give those Revolutions eps a try. I'm just hoping it's more than a White academic detailing how and when my ancestors got hosed.
I have some bad news for you about the demographics of podcasters and the history of Mexico.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Even during History of Rome, Duncan talked about what the Gracchi wanted to do, did an episode on the lousy class dynamics of the Empire even in the best of times, and cited elite greed in various forms as a major contributor to the collapse of Rome. So it's not like there was ever a point where he was recording from an overstuffed chair in a lounge at Harvard.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I did kinda lose a lot of interest in the History of Rome after the emperors consolidated their power away from the rest of the public and you only occasionally got to hear what normal people's lives were like because everything is either dynastic politics dealing with the whims of the emperor and the small circle around him or career military officers having their go at making their own dominion.

I've been trying to get more into ships or planes lately, and since, well...I can't poke around in a library right now...Are there any good podcasts on aviation or maritime history? I'm not even particularly interested in the military aspects, although I get that a LOT of development happens at once during wars that later gets repurposed for civilian use.

I did find the maritime history podcast, but I was hoping for something in an era where we actually know what was going on with the people making the craft instead of ancient history.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SlothfulCobra posted:

I did kinda lose a lot of interest in the History of Rome after the emperors consolidated their power away from the rest of the public and you only occasionally got to hear what normal people's lives were like because everything is either dynastic politics dealing with the whims of the emperor and the small circle around him or career military officers having their go at making their own dominion.

I've been trying to get more into ships or planes lately, and since, well...I can't poke around in a library right now...Are there any good podcasts on aviation or maritime history? I'm not even particularly interested in the military aspects, although I get that a LOT of development happens at once during wars that later gets repurposed for civilian use.

I did find the maritime history podcast, but I was hoping for something in an era where we actually know what was going on with the people making the craft instead of ancient history.

Was that the one where he was talking about the Black Sea and the Dardanelles and poo poo from like early bronze age?

That was neat as gently caress but I can't say my interest was sufficient to listen to the next episode. :negative:

E: Apparently I can spell "Dardanelles" correctly on the first try? :peanut:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

History of Rome is effectively the reason that all the other History of - podcasts exist.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
lol speaking of:

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1246158213042536448?s=21

embrace the guillotine mike!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SlothfulCobra posted:

Check out Drachinifel on Youtube. He does naval history mostly centered around WW1/WW2, but also sometimes covers more broader stuff and even recently had an episode where he brought in an aviation expect to breakdown all of the myths about the A6M Zero for two and a half hours. There is a visual component to it but it's usually just stills and the occasional diagram, so you can afford to just listen to it.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Sydin posted:

Check out Drachinifel on Youtube. He does naval history mostly centered around WW1/WW2, but also sometimes covers more broader stuff and even recently had an episode where he brought in an aviation expect to breakdown all of the myths about the A6M Zero for two and a half hours. There is a visual component to it but it's usually just stills and the occasional diagram, so you can afford to just listen to it.

His April Fools episode about the HMS Thunderchild was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQBund8uLmo

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Firstscion posted:

This is great!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Firstscion posted:

lol I didn't see this, that's fantastic.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Fall of Civilizations podcast has an Aztecs episode that is a few hours long but might fall a bit to far into what you're not looking for.
I listened to this over the course of the evening and it was perfect. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Got started on the History of English and remembering why I enjoyed the survey of linguistics course I took one semester in undergrad so much. The process of reverse engineering a dead language is fascinating. Nobody has spoken proto-Indo-European for thousands of years, it existed before writing was invented, and yet we have a very good idea of what the language was and how it sounded. And where the people who spoke it came from, based on words they have for things in specific geographic areas! Amazing!