Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cockblocktopus posted:

The Facebook is absolutely terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Cockblocktopus posted:

The Facebook group for The Weeds is absolutely terrible, regardless of your feelings on the podcast and its hosts.

It's almost a law that the supporting community for any podcast is terrible, taking any faults of the source and magnifying then up into a lifestyle. See My Favourite Murder, etc.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've heard him do that sometimes, yeah; my defense of Matt Yglesias would be that he's insightful. I listened to the "School's out for Covid" episode this morning and there's his bit starting at about 28:00, about the tension between teacher's unions and teachers, and their differing goals regarding Covid. If you're going to give that one episode a go, you'll also see he doesn't steal the limelight from his coworkers, I think he's gotten better about it over the years.

He was really into "what if we took this good idea, and made it worse and more comomicated" when I stopped listening a couple years ago. The female host (Sarah?) was the reason I listened but she got way less time than the two men.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sarah was great but yeah she left to take a job somewhere else; not to dwell on old Matty but he chocked up saying good bye to her on the last pod. Anyway, the good news is that nowadays his most regular co hosts are two women.

I want to Nth recommendations for The Canon Ball podcast, it's like a "great courses" lecture series but looser and more approachable.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 18, 2020

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my criticism of Matty is specifically with regard to bulldozing Sarah with masturbatory bullshit when she had insightful things to say.

Willing to believe it’s gotten better, not willing to actually find out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Part five of the diem experiment is up

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Gaius Marius posted:

Part five of the diem experiment is up

It's also (I assume) the last part given that he ends up dead in this episode if you've been waiting to do the whole thing in one listen and didn't get bamboozled by part four like I did.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cockblocktopus posted:

It's also (I assume) the last part given that he ends up dead in this episode if you've been waiting to do the whole thing in one listen and didn't get bamboozled by part four like I did.

Spoiler that poo poo! :wtf:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Love inward empire and gonna redownload all of them, thanks for the heads up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You can lead a horse to water... (Shamelessly stolen from IOSM):

https://mobile.twitter.com/chiefpad...agenumber%3D262

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
lol I've been waiting for the new episode of Tides of History for like three months but turns out it's just not on Stitcher Premium anymore so the feed stopped updating.

I tried to listen to the normal version and the first ad was so loud and obnoxious (I listen in bed) that I turned it off immediately. It sucks because I really loved that podcast.

For any other bedtime-podcast-listeners I cannot recommend The History of English enough. Nice relaxing voice, no ads, no music, very interesting content but not so gripping that you can't fall asleep to it.

It's basically a history of the whole of Europe starting with Indo-European migration and then slowly zooming in on England, with just constant etymology zingers all the way through. Like he'll be talking about life in Feudal England and then throw in "and that's were we get the word bread :)" or whatever, and I'm like :aaa:

It's the first Patreon I've subscribed to.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anyone listen to the podcast by Slate, “what next?” Is it any good?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Finally caught up on my history podcasts backlog by listening to the Fall of Civilisations Byzantium show (fantastic, as usual), then the most recent two episodes of Supernova in the East. Yeesh, what a contrast.

Think I'm about ready to give up on Dan Carlin honestly. I don't mind the length of his shows, but the endless rambling is becoming more intolerable I think. Spending 45 minutes to explain that MacArthur was a bad general with a good PR team just feels like borderline insanity to me. I reckon you could do a pretty comprehensive summary of the entire Pacific War in that time. I enjoy the colour he brings to the table, but Fall of Civ guy does colour just as well. The last section where he's talking about the Ottoman cannon inching towards the Theodosian Walls, causing random panic because they can only fire it a few times a day, cooling it with sizzling olive oil because water would crack the muzzle was exceptionally vivid.

I vaguely remember Carlin saying once that his podcasts turn into monsters because he's addicted to context. Like, you can't discuss the Pacific Theatre without talking about Manchuria, so you have to talk about Japanese imperialism which means talking about rapid industrialisation, thus prior isolationism and so on. But then, the Fall of Civ guy starts his Byzantium context with the flooding of the Med six million years ago, and easily summarises Rome's expansion up to Constantine in like 15 minutes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wonder if he's seen a significant listenership decline, because literally everyone I've talked to about HH in the past year has said that they've already given up on, myself included.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Its also the kind of thing where I dont mind him spending 30 minutes on some inane topic when its something I dont know much about. The King of Kings series was great because I didn't know about about the early Persian empire. But if you're covering something like the WWII pacific theater AND you've dropped the conceit of covering it from primarily the Japanese perspective, I have way less interest in it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I haven't listened to the newer episodes of HH because the start of the series wasn't all that great in the first place. I'm not giving up on it though, once he moves on to another topic I may take it up again. Trouble is he spends years on big series.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Carlin is the victim of the realities of modern life far outpacing his ability to commentate or narrate events even in a historical context.

He still comes at things from the angle of a History channel Dad and that's just not interesting anymore.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, I'd still pop in if he did some shorter one-off episodes about, well, anything before WWI, but I'm not seeing any indication that he has the interest or inclination.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I feel like he does best when he describes a unique moment in history, like stalingrad, munster or the one with all the sharks. There isn't much interesting to gain from "the Japanese had this very narrow win condition, aaaand... They hosed it up, here's four more hours of podcast"

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Carlin is the victim of the realities of modern life far outpacing his ability to commentate or narrate events even in a historical context.

He still comes at things from the angle of a History channel Dad and that's just not interesting anymore.

The one-off episodes I've listened to recently have been enjoyable (Olympias, Painfotainment) but I still haven't listened to the newest episode of Supernova. I don't mind the History Channel Dad approach, but it's not something I'm chomping at the bit for. Another big issue for me is I had a 45-60 minute commute to work, and working remotely I'm more interested in listening to lighter subjects or music.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Count Roland posted:

I haven't listened to the newer episodes of HH because the start of the series wasn't all that great in the first place. I'm not giving up on it though, once he moves on to another topic I may take it up again. Trouble is he spends years on big series.

Yeah it's this for me. WW2 has been done to death, particularly from the perspective of the oh so brave and valiant and noble USA, so Carlin taking actual years to pump out a bunch of five hour episodes where he meanders though dad stories about how wacky MacArthur was or how badass the marines were just isn't great. I didn't even finish his most recent Supernova episode: I got up to the part where decided he needed to stop and both-sides the Japanese internment camps and decided nah I'm out.

Appoda posted:

I feel like he does best when he describes a unique moment in history, like stalingrad, munster or the one with all the sharks. There isn't much interesting to gain from "the Japanese had this very narrow win condition, aaaand... They hosed it up, here's four more hours of podcast"

Also this, he does really well with one-off obscure events that can be structured with a clear beginning-middle-end arc that fits his "dad tells you an old story" style.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Has anyone listened to Fiasco? The David Duke season of Slow Burn was fine I guess but I missed Leon Nayfakh in a way that I didn't in the Biggie & Tupac season, so I was wondering if his new(er) podcast might scratch that itch.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Appoda posted:

I thought his Munster episode was one of his best, but when I started looking into it, it seemed that most of the crazier stuff was unverified anti-munster propaganda coming from the side of the besiegers.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cockblocktopus posted:

Has anyone listened to Fiasco? The David Duke season of Slow Burn was fine I guess but I missed Leon Nayfakh in a way that I didn't in the Biggie & Tupac season, so I was wondering if his new(er) podcast might scratch that itch.

I don't mind paying for podcasts but do you have to use a bullshit luminary app

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

webmeister posted:

I vaguely remember Carlin saying once that his podcasts turn into monsters because he's addicted to context. Like, you can't discuss the Pacific Theatre without talking about Manchuria, so you have to talk about Japanese imperialism which means talking about rapid industrialisation, thus prior isolationism and so on. But then, the Fall of Civ guy starts his Byzantium context with the flooding of the Med six million years ago, and easily summarises Rome's expansion up to Constantine in like 15 minutes.

It's become Paul's signature that he starts with the prehistoric geography of the region in question and links it swiftly with the beginnings of human habitation and initial cultures of the area. It gives you context for the roots of the civilization he's discussing and is often the through-line for its destruction, notably the fall of the Khmer Empire where they had tamed the floodplains through a sophisticated irrigation and dam system but once the Empire itself began to collapse it got into a bad state of repair and did not survive a drought/flood cycle.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think Dan might have to transition to actually writing scripts as he gets older.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Megazver posted:

I think Dan might have to transition to actually writing scripts as he gets older.

Yeah, by his own admission his memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Plus it would allow the thing to be *edited* beforehand by another person which Dan could oh so sorely use.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Patrick Wyman went on Chapo fyi.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Space/cosmology/science nerd must listen:

Walkabout the Galaxy

http://walkaboutthegalaxy.com/

Freakin' love it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

gfarrell80 posted:

Space/cosmology/science nerd must listen:

Walkabout the Galaxy

http://walkaboutthegalaxy.com/

Freakin' love it.

I'll try it out

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
History of WW2 Podcast with Ray Harris is cool but the narration irks me to no end. The sharp inhales with each sentence fragment are so hard for me to get used to, more than the stilted way he goes though each sentence. Any other recs for WW2 podcasts?

Also any good Korean War podcasts?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When diplomacy fails did a really nice series about the Korean war, with an eye on it's place and importance in the cold war

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Gaius Marius posted:

When diplomacy fails did a really nice series about the Korean war, with an eye on it's place and importance in the cold war

Holy moly this is a lot of content to chew on. Thank you!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I've heard good things about Lions Led By Donkeys, which is about lovely commanders loving up common soldiers through their pride/vanity/stupidity, tho I haven't had a chance to give a listen myself.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Appoda posted:

I've heard good things about Lions Led By Donkeys, which is about lovely commanders loving up common soldiers through their pride/vanity/stupidity, tho I haven't had a chance to give a listen myself.

its real good.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

buglord posted:

Holy moly this is a lot of content to chew on. Thank you!

It's pretty good; the host is up front about being an amateur doing the podcast for fun but his enthusiasm really shines through and he's really transparent about his sourcing.

My biggest gripe is probably that he gets too into the weeds on his subjects but obviously that's not terrible when it's a subject you like too!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Appoda posted:

I find it a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the episodes are great, and I think especially when they can tie it to their own experiences, but on others it just feels like listening to someone read a Wikipedia page.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I find it a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the episodes are great, and I think especially when they can tie it to their own experiences, but on others it just feels like listening to someone read a Wikipedia page.

Yeah, I listened to their Winter War episode and it was pretty rough, they were getting an annoying amount of stuff wrong. Good podcast sometimes, but not flawless

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It fills my history bro needs ever since Lesser Bonapartes disappeared from the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
All historical podcasters should have to do 1940s Newsreel Announcer Voice for at least 1 of every 4 full-length episodes.

This is canon.

:colbert: