Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

webmeister posted:

In Our Time keeps on trucking, though I haven't listened to that for a long time. I assume it's probably still great if you want to hear professors argue while a British aristocrat snipes at them.

Ngl, I love that, especially Melvyn's snipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

kiminewt posted:

You have to search for "twentieth" literally. Some future we're living in.

Whoops! Heh-heh.

Also, for a more... Off-the-wall recommendation of historical podcasts, there is SHWEP - the Secret History of Western Esotericism Podcast. Talks about the history of unorthodox beliefs and cults throughout the 'West'. Also, not remotely conspiratorial, name of the podcast notwithstanding.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 4, 2024

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I started listening to the History of the 20th Century podcast. It can be a bit basic or simple and covers a lot of topics I'm already familiar with, but it is presented in a very organised and interesting way. I'm binging it like I would a thriller series, gotta know what'll happen in this strange world (don't spoil!).

I reached the Russo-Japanese war and it has an into from the When Diplomacy Fails guy and I guess they have a couple of episodes on the same topic. I wanna listen to it too but I'm not sure if I want to listen to two podcasts about the same topic, even though WDF can take a very different angle sometimes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Know Your Enemy is a good podcast covering the development of conservative intellectualism (such as it is) in the twentieth century US. Though they do get too close to their subjects sometimes, most notoriously when they had one of Ron DeSantis' (literal) Neo-Nazi followers on and failed to drill into him as much as they should have.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
New fall of civilisations out, time to post in the "new fall of civilisations is out" thread

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Time to bump my playback speed to 2x again lol

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Chairman Capone posted:

Know Your Enemy is a good podcast covering the development of conservative intellectualism (such as it is) in the twentieth century US. Though they do get too close to their subjects sometimes, most notoriously when they had one of Ron DeSantis' (literal) Neo-Nazi followers on and failed to drill into him as much as they should have.

on that note, I Don't Speak German just sent out a patreon ep, with the expectation that they should be able to actually get back to doing episodes. Fingers crossed!

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Cessna posted:

Ngl, I love that, especially Melvyn's snipes.

I still laugh about him getting completely exasperated about the concept of exponential growth every once in a while, love that dude

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I figure I'm probably one of the last in the thread to have not been actively listening to it already, but after bouncing off it a few times in the past but I gave Tides of History another go and this time it hooked me. I'd been in a bit of a podcast hiatus which maybe helped, since I went in with less expectations this time. Normally I go for as dry as possible with my listening, so leaping into epic_music_(world).mp3 was an immediate turnoff and gave me the impression it was pop history to the max, which it turns out was extremely unfair. For such an all-encompassing set of topics he's actually refreshingly transparent and academically grounded? A lot better than Mike Duncan and the like. I started on his survey of Eurasian languages, but have gone back to the start of the prehistory stuff now; super captivating stuff.

In fact I'd actually go as far as to say I'm enjoying his little narrative snippets and the soundtrack now I've gotten into it a bit.

e: I also signed up for the Wandery subscription to listen to it since the ads are absolutely atrocious, but it turns out the Wandery app is also kind of poo poo. Does anyone have a preferred place to listen to it? I'd happily just pay upfront to get access to it like Blowback lets you do if that's an option (I have words about their Korean War series incidentally, but gonna save that for when I can muster the energy for a write up) but I can't find him offering that.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 14, 2024

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I believe it's also available on Amazon Music or however they call that service.

The prehistory series is amazing. I fell off it in the sequel series about the iron age and so on, only listening to an episode here and there. I also love the fictional stories he tells to set the scene at the beginning of each episode.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Did he ever lower the music volume? I enjoyed the podcast but it was sometimes a struggle to hear him over the booming music.

It's one of those podcasts that's perpetually getting updated in my app, and I always think "hey I should listen to some of those, they seem really interesting!". And then I just go back to Behind the Bastards. Doesn't help that I don't have a commute anymore, so my podcast listening time is severely limited.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The levels are better now. I have also fallen off from the iron age series a bit. I still listen but it's not as interesting as prehistory or early modern EPs were to me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

. For such an all-encompassing set of topics he's actually refreshingly transparent and academically grounded? A lot better than Mike Duncan and the like. I started on his survey of Eurasian languages, but have gone back to the start of the prehistory stuff now; super captivating stuff.

Yeah Pat has a history PhD (I think on late Roman stuff, which is why he started podcasting with that) and has read a lot of primary sources, and is used to historical methodologies, which helps a lot.

And yea it's ad free on Amazon music too, though that app is also poo poo in that it's Android auto implementation is no good.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah Pat has a history PhD (I think on late Roman stuff, which is why he started podcasting with that) and has read a lot of primary sources, and is used to historical methodologies, which helps a lot.

And yea it's ad free on Amazon music too, though that app is also poo poo in that it's Android auto implementation is no good.

yeah at one point he referred to the fact that the existing body of late roman letters was small enough that he just went through every surviving letter for his dissertation

Tides is really good. the historical seasons haven't hit the heights of the one on early humanity, but they're really grounded in whatever the most current archaeology he can find. which alone is really interesting, he makes a big attempt to engage with the best and most recent physical evidence available and cutting edge scholarship, which is something very few pure historians doing didactic podcasts ever do

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also why I love Byzantium and Friends so much.

I have mixed feelings on the Tides' interview episodes though, I like the idea, but also interviews are not Patricks' strong suit :v:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
For Tides of History is there any narrative or rhyme or reason as to the order of the episodes? Or should I just pick the ones that seem like an interesting topic and listen to them that way?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
After a decae+ of listening to history podcasts Tides is the last one standing on my feed (not counting In Our Time which is only sometimes history). To me, he does the best job of any history podcast I've listened to of why history is worth studying today, beyond "hey remember when this cool thing happened in the past?" - laying out how past trends can predict present and future human behavior, which I think is something that a lot of people who say history is boring don't understand. He's also a big earnest goober and a good social media follow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

For Tides of History is there any narrative or rhyme or reason as to the order of the episodes? Or should I just pick the ones that seem like an interesting topic and listen to them that way?

They're in rough chronological order within the seasons, with great big time jumps between the seasons.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

PittTheElder posted:

They're in rough chronological order within the seasons, with great big time jumps between the seasons.

Ah, the Apple podcast app doesn’t have them separated into seasons so it looked like a giant mishmash to me. I guess the wonderly thing does? Spotify doesn’t seem to either.

I’m extremely interested in prehistory so I’ll do whatever I’ve got to to get some good content, just wondering if there’s a preferred spot to jump in on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah Season 4 is all the prehistory stuff. Start there.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Has Mike Duncan said what he is planning to do next? Another book? Podcast series?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Glumslinger posted:

Has Mike Duncan said what he is planning to do next? Another book? Podcast series?

He's going to do a series where he reviews new history books and discusses them with a somewhat notable journalist whose name I can't remember.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

The Glumslinger posted:

Last I heard he was trying to get a Marques de Lafayette TV series made. If I understood right it would be a drama, not a documentary.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
I like how Tides of History takes prehistory (including much of the Iron Age) on its own terms. He doesn’t throw up his hands at the lack of written documents and go oh well, nothing can possibly be known. He’s an archaeologist and when he talks about larger cultural or social trends in that language - state formation, ethnogenesis, the use of different food sources, adoption of new technologies - you can tell he gets it.

He’s also been very good on the larger debates re: aDNA, migration and indo-European stuff. Not being blinded by the potential and jumping to simplistic conclusions, like in the earlier days of archaeogenetics, but equally not dismissing it out of hand.

Agreed re: the interviews though. I quite like them but the ‘excited grad student talking to someone whose paper they liked’ vibes are strong.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

He's going to do a series where he reviews new history books and discusses them with a somewhat notable journalist whose name I can't remember.

I must be an ignorant slob but this sounds so unexciting. Like, I wouldn't mind it in a vacuum, but following the History of Rome and Revolutions?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Is he even an actual archaeologist? I remember a couple of episodes with archaeologist guests and they had the air of an informed layman asking questions of an expert. Regardless Patrick is great. I hate the wondery ads but not enough to use the Amazon music app

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

I must be an ignorant slob but this sounds so unexciting. Like, I wouldn't mind it in a vacuum, but following the History of Rome and Revolutions?

yeah.

I did some googling now that I'm at a full keyboard and the cohost will be someone named Alexis Coe.

When he announced it at the end of revolutions he basically said that it's a project he chose as something of a less-work podcast to do while he develops his next big project. I'm not jazzed about it either, but I plan to listen to an episode or two.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He's a historian, not an archaeologist. He has familiarity with the field from reading extensively.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

a couple months ago he announced he's got a contract for his oft-discussed "why didn't Rome collapse during the Crisis of the Third Century?" book as well

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

He's a historian, not an archaeologist. He has familiarity with the field from reading extensively.

Yeah you can tell he has a huge amount of respect for the field and has read a lot about it but I appreciate it when he has archaeologist guests in even if sometimes it sounds like they are recording from a phone headphone mic. The prehistory season in particular had some great guests in to talk about early burial and pottery cultures and I appreciate the way he makes sure to stress both the limitations and benefits of analysing prehistory cultures via archaeological classifications. He has a similar appreciation of linguistic analysis where he makes it clear he isn't an expert but still presents some very good insights

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's why I like the interview episodes, he knows enough to ask intelligent questions and when to shut up.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I went and stalked his LinkedIn (it was high up on Google, alright?) and he has 2(??) MAs and a PhD in history so even if it's not on the level of e.g. the History of Egypt guy being an actually practicing historian in the field I think he has some pretty sterling credentials for a podcaster.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Last I heard he was trying to get a Marques de Lafayette TV series made. If I understood right it would be a drama, not a documentary.

Maybe if the new Franklin series does well.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If you've fallen off on Empire they're taking a detour through India and the history of Buddhism as promotion for William's new book. I thought the Iran season they just wrapped up was pretty good as well but you can definitely tell that they're back in their real area of shared interest now.

The Rest is History is also partway through a series about the Titanic that's been great. I was a Titanic-obsessed kid who hasn't gone too deep into the topic as an adult and I've definitely learned a bunch; as an American it's also nice hearing the story from a British perspective and getting insights into the backdrop of contemporary Irish politics and growing British anxiety about control of the seas.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Empire is a podcast that's very easy to follow and listen to, and it has a lot of interesting parts, but I really wish it was a little more in depth and a little less chatty. Sometimes it feels like they spend half the episode setting something up and then just blowing through it in a few minutes. I do appreciate that the Persia series felt quite a bit more comprehensive than the Ottoman series though. It still had gaps, but it didn't feel like just a quick greatest hits survey in the way that the Ottoman series kind of did. I was worried that they'd just cover the same stuff about ancient Persia that other podcasts have already done, but getting into the Persian Renaissance and everything was really cool.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Unfortunately I fell off of Tides after the prehistory simply because the subject matter was 75% of why I was there.

Are there any other solid podcasts covering prehistory?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Some episodes of Fall of Civilizations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Unfortunately I fell off of Tides after the prehistory simply because the subject matter was 75% of why I was there.

Are there any other solid podcasts covering prehistory?

The Dawn of Everything audiobook

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Probably been asked but I scanned a few pages and couldn’t see. Any good narrative style Chinese history podcasts?

Also I wanted a French one, I listed to “the French history podcast” and found the guy insufferable, but maybe I’m being unfair. Does it get better after about 20 eps? Or a better narrative history podcast for France?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

teacup posted:

Probably been asked but I scanned a few pages and couldn’t see. Any good narrative style Chinese history podcasts?

The History of China. Lots of back episodes for you too, it's currently up to the Qing.