Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I'm a big fan of Ideas from CBC Radio. Some of the recent episodes that I've really liked were a three part series on the Knights Templar, a discussion on public parking spaces and the history of plans for a British warship built from an iceberg during WW2.

Also from CBC is Under the Influence (formerly called The Age of Persuasion), about advertising and marketing. Every week, Terry O'Reilly takes a topic like marketing during a crisis or marketing to women and brings up three examples of companies that have done something noteworthy.

Last one that I haven't seen mentioned is Planet Money from NPR. It's an informative look at economics without being dry. They look at topics ranging from the European Debt Crisis to the decreasing amount of competition in the beer industry. They had a fun couple of episodes where they bought shell companies and talked about all of the things that they could do with them last year. Planet Money manages to take imposing aspects of global economics and make them accessible and entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Salvador Dalvik posted:

The History of Byzantium is at least bearable, the History of Britain podcast sounds like a history student's undergrad project.

Are there any other History of * podcasts that are worth listening to?

The China History Podcast is pretty awesome. It updates pretty sporadically, but there's about 120 episodes that range from 25-45 minutes right now. The host kind of picks topics at his whim and doesn't really do things chronologically unless he's doing a multi-part series or something. There's a really good 10 part series on Hong Kong and I'm a sucker for anything about the Three Kingdoms period.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

GraPar posted:

Yeah, I love it when Mike just drops in a little joke, mostly because it's usually out of nowhere and still read in his usual dry but addictively listenable style.

I just got past the Spartacus episode in my re-listen. It's still funny when he goes into a biography of Kirk Douglas and then just dryly says "oh wait, wrong Spartacus"

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Does anyone here listen to the Stuff You Should Know podcast? It long ago stopped being about stuff one should actually know (if it ever had been) and became more about two guys summarizing a report about weird subject of the week, but I like the hosts' soothing voices and rapport with each other.

Then a few weeks ago out of the blue one of the hosts was gone and got replaced by some new guy. The leftover old host seemed really bummed out and the episode was so sad I had to stop listening. Then a couple weeks later I tried listening to a new episode and the old cohost was back. Does anyone know what happened? Under what circumstances did the death and return of Chuck Bryant occur?

It was an April Fool's Day joke.