Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like In Our Time but the pace kind of exhausts me. I wish it was a bit longer and the host gave the experts some breathing room to expand on some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I've always gotten the impression that the host wants to go on longer but the station kind of hurries them out of the studio when their time is up.

Oh yeah I think that's clearly whats going on. It's most frustrating when its a biographical episode about a historical figure, because the little things about a person are sometimes the most interesting. They'll start to go onto an interesting tangent but ol' taskmaster Bragg whips them back into a discussion of the big picture.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah Hardcore History owns, the recent Mongol series was very informative.

I like how it was basically a take down of Jack Weatherford's book and he never mentioned the name of it throughout the whole thing.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I just started listening and I'm sure the rest of the episode is great, but Carlin spending the first 15 minutes of the episode apologizing for it is really turning me off.

Yeah I don't really get what he dislikes about this episode so much, I thought the whole thing was interesting.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Do they train the people over at How Stuff Works to put you to sleep? I'm always interested in what they're saying but they sort of calmly whisper it to you and it has knocked me out on the bus on more than one occasion. At first I thought it was just the Stuff You Missed in History Class girls that did this but the 2 hosts they got to replace them are the same way. Then I started listening to the How Stuff Works podcast, and those guys are almost as bad.

feedmyleg posted:

url=http://podcasthistoryofourworld.libsyn.com/]Podcast History of the World is getting into Greece[/url] by now.

I didn't know about this. It's pretty good.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Malloreon posted:

Have you tried Dan Carlin's Hardcore History subseries, Death Throes of the Republic? ~10 hours in all, fascinating stuff. He approaches the entire thing from the angle of what motivated the movers and shakers to do what they did.

I've relistened to this recently and I think it's easily the best series he's done.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Is there a US history podcast in the style of History of Rome Podcast or Podcast History of Our World?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Arnie_SS posted:

A new 4 hrs Hardcore history, "The American Peril" was just posted, haven't listened to it but it talks about 19th century United States.

Just started this but I've been waiting forever for HH to touch on Roosevelt (I'm assuming this is about the Maine and he's going to figure in it). Pretty excited.

Excited about history podcasts over here.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This was my favorite episode, although it's sort of my favorite period in history.

Talk about late 19th and early 20th century America forever Dan, pleeeeeease.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
You know I like Jeff Rubin alright but if I have to hear him say Lost is one of the best shows of all time I'm going to crawl into my earbuds and punch him. Also Orange is the New Black is not "at the same tier" as Boardwalk Empire :argh: Also I hate this guy he's interviewing :argh::argh:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

rypakal posted:

Saying Orange is the New Black is on the same level as Boardwalk Empire isn't some kind of denigration of Boardwalk Empire. That's a weird reaction to that statement. Unless he hates Boardwalk Empire.

Also, his podcast doesn't seem educational.

It's sort of just on whatever I guess, I only brought it up because this is the thread where I found out about it.

And it was part of a conversation where he was stating that there are certain shows that are the GREATEST and then there's the second tier, where he puts Boardwalk. I mean, clearly its a opinion thing but he doesn't exactly frame it that way.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
WWI would be the perfect HH.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I kinda thought from the title that the whole series was going to be a deep analysis of the politics that lead up to the war, but I guess it's just going to be about the war in general. Either way, pretty good episode.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This pizza guy on Jeff Rubin's show is insane. "Don't cut my pizza, and par-bake it please."

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

After listening to that episode I immediately went out and bought the book. Smaller than I thought it would be, but highly entertaining.

I am thinking about getting it but I was also just thinking about going by Barnes and Nobel just to eyeball it. Is it not like coffee table book size?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Jeff Rubin's most recent show has a guy who wrote a history of the "golden age" of Nickelodeon is pretty interesting, but the guy that wrote it is clearly a bit of a crank. I mean, I like Pete and Pete as much as the next 30 year old but declaring the era as some kinda high point in television history when you haven't watched tv in years is crazy. Also horrifically misinformed. I mean maybe if he could have stopped rambling about how everything on TV looks the same now and everything else looked different back then because of artistic vision or whatever it wouldn't have bothered me so much.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 27, 2013

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I had to turn it off halfway through. Not only crazy and misinformed, but pretty arrogant about it too.

I think I see what he's trying to say about visual style and sameiness when it comes to, say, your average episode of NCIS or 2 1/2 Men, but his point really falls flat if you broaden your scope even a little bit.

I mean, if a central conceit of your book is how influential a bunch of shows are, and then you talk about how a lot of the creators went on to work on the huge hits today (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.) then maybe you should watch some of those shows?

I mean really, talking about the art direction in Mad Men: "I've never seen it, but I saw some clips on the internet that my ex-girlfriend's fat roommate was watching, so I figured the show is just for fat stoners."

"Well, I've never seen it, but from what I read,"

Also, I've never heard so much praise for Clarissa Explains It All. You'd think it was Citizen Kane or something.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

If you're a religious studies nerd with an irreverent sense of humor, you must must must listen to Robert M. Price's The Bible Geek and The Human Bible podcasts.

The Bible Geek is a big, fat, juicy question-and-answer podcast with an emphasis on higher criticism of the Bible. The host is a former Baptist evangelical minister with 3 PhD's in New Testament scholarship, who eventually became an atheist and even a mythicist (i.e., he is not fully convinced of the historical existence of Jesus). However, he still holds a lot of respect for the Bible and doesn't really have an axe to grind other than to call out poor scholarship or bad apologetical arguments. He's also a more general geek and peppers the show with references to classic sci-fi and comics. BONUS: he does voices. Among other thing, he reads the voice of God in the Old Testament as Charlton Heston, and has started reading the voice of the Apostle Paul as Paul Lynde. He reads listener questions in terrible accents. It'll either drive you bonkers or you'll love it. He gets tons of questions so he generally has enough content to do a 90-minute or longer podcast two or three days a week, sometimes more.

What's a good place to start?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

The Human Bible is a good place to start and see if you like his schtick, and there's an episode that gives an intro to Biblical form criticism, which is a methodology he tends to use often.

For The Bible Geek, just go through the archive (whenever the maintenance is done on it) and scroll through until you see a show with a topic you're interested in. Recent episode synopses have minute:second indicators which is a great improvement.

Oh I guess I didn't read you post well enough and thought these were from two different guys, I'll start with the Human Bible.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I saw all the new posts and figured a new Hardcore History must be out :( Damnit Carlin, release the next one already!

Yeah release one Carlin, and release one agaaain, and agaaain... and agaaain.

I've burned through like 15 episodes of The Human Bible now and am really digging it. I especially like the Is that in the Bible? bits. I tried just jumping into The Bible Geek but it was sort of over my head, unfortunately. I'll try it again when I'm done with THB since it seems like he doesn't release them that often. I was initially worried that Price would just be harping on the historicity of Jesus too much based on a quick look at his bibliography, but that's not the case.

I do kind of wonder why he needed 3 different PhDs in almost the same subject, but whatever.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Does anyone know what Dan was reading from in that Ghosts of the Ostfront series that had that section that showed the dysfunction of the Soviet chain of command? It was the one where each superior officer ended up pointing a gun at his subordinate, and it eventually ended with a bunch of soldiers that couldn't swim being marched into a river.

I know I could probably go back and dig this up somehow but I was just wondering if one of you guys knew it right off.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zorak posted:

In Our Time drives me insane with its "30 minutes of drawn up build up, wait we forgot to get to the core topic, rush that poo poo out". I dunno if its just a matter of historian cat herding issues over lack of cooperative planning. Or editing.

This literally always happens when its a biographical episode. The historians go into it talking about the broad political and social movements of the persons day for the first half, then they get whipped into covering the guys life in a few minutes. This is really frustrating sometimes because they'll start in on an interesting anecdote about them, but Bragg will cut them off.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Dan's giving away nukes?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Has anyone here tried You Are Not So Smart? I've gone through a few episodes now, and I have mixed feelings. I like the interviews and intros, but I'm not too fond of the back-end in which the host eats a cookie on air. Also there seems to be frequent sound problems with the recordings. I had to give up on the common sense one because I couldn't hear the dialog at all on the bus.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

His views spill over into his history podcast all of the time. Its sometimes hard to see past his huge war boner and your own frustration for him to actually start talking about the topic at hand.

Speaking about his war boner I was surprised to hear him come down so hard on Theodore Roosevelt. "Racist peter pan" is such a reductive and frankly misleading a description of a complicated political figure like TR. Also all the stuff about his navel policy causing so much damage, you'd think he would have praised him for making the right strategic moves preparing for the 20th century. He sort of just brushed off twitter criticisms by saying he like his environmental policies, which is a big duck considering he labeled him as a damaging warlord/racist.

Not that I didn't like that episode, I could listen to him ramble on that period forever frankly. He's good enough at what he does to make me like disagreeing with him.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Marlows posted:

I am not a T.R. fanboy, and I do think he is too often made into some kind of superhero president. But he was also a complicated and nuanced character. People too often mistake T.R.'s own or his opponents propaganda for being the real man. T.R.'s campaigners and opponents wanted you to think he was some dumb man child. While there is a hint of truth to that, its also true that T.R. was also bookish, prudish, and shrill in speech.

This is what I meant when I said calling him a racist peter pan reductive. If you tear a person out of their historical context and judge them solely based on your modern morals you can't really learn anything. And as other people have said, his conversational efforts weren't just to satisfy his blood lust. The man was a legitimate naturalist in his time. He could identify hundreds of species of birds by their calls alone, or from a single feather. His first published work was about of the bird population on long island.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I have a hard time with them and Stuff You Missed In History class because they're so sleepy-talking. If I needed a nap time podcast I'd probably get back into them.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I couldn't get enough of History of Rome and would listen to a couple a day, but got burned out on Revolutions within a few episodes and at this point would need to restart it to remember what was going on. I don't know if I just OD'd on the host or if I just liked Roman history better.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Eggie posted:

I like the idea of history podcasts but this Hardcore History sounds way too dense for me. I'd like a more abridged history podcast. I'm not really deep into podcasts so I don't know where to look for something like that. Wondering if anyone could help me.

Stuff You Missed in History Class isn't all that dense. Sometimes I think the hosts are deliberately trying to make me drowsy with their sleepy-whisper talk, but I still like it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's not the pace it's their sleepy voices, same goes for How Stuff Works.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ChetReckless posted:

Stephen Colbert does a pretty good Dan Carlin impression. (Start it at about 3:25 or so)

this is great

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I once saw fred the gr8 suck a fat one.

True story

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't know how Skeptoid is so popular anyway. I haven't revisited it in forever but I always felt it was too short to get anywhere interesting. Sometimes it feels like it's just:

"Some people think aliens is totally real, but actually they aren't. :viggo:" The End

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Real Quaid posted:

Re: the Lesser Bonapartes, I think they're funny, its a good & interesting show.

I can't say that they ever make me laugh or anything but I do like the podcast in general.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Duncan's clearly a dyed in the wool Optimate, you retards.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Trabandiumium posted:

LAPD series is pretty good too.

Ferguson and Iraq war are good if you want to be depressed.

Man I didn't like these at all. I think its best when its something obscure and good fodder for jokes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
You could make a double HH thread and have it for Hollywood Handbook as well.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Tripling and quadrupling this recommendation for Mystery Show, especially the Belt Buckle ep. I've gotten friends who normally don't care about podcasts to listen all the way through the series.

The Belt Buckle really is the standout episode of the series.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Him cutting off the experts in the middle of interesting stories like that is what put my off the show. Specially since he seems to allow for a bunch of less interesting table setting at the top every episode. Sometimes it feels like debate team or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I just think it needs to be longer.