Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Trabandiumium posted:

Haven't listened yet, does he pronounce Caesar as Kaisar

Nope. See-zar, same way he pronounced it in the Roman republic series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

Is the Hardcore History backlog worth buying? I didn't know about the podcasts when he was doing stuff like Death Throes of the Republic or Ghosts of the Ostrfront.

The History of Byzantium guy puts some effort into getting all the Greek right, as far as I can tell as a non-speaker.

The guy who does History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps puts effort into getting everybody's names right, and it's obvious how proud he is of his Arabic pronunciation when he gets into that era (since that's his specialty).

Death of the Republic and Ghosts of the Ostfront are definitely worth it. I haven't listened to most of the others yet, but aside from the very early episodes (my god I'm so glad he stopped putting in the loving sound effects) and generally being much longer now it hasn't changed that much.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Martian Manfucker posted:

I'm looking for some true crime podcast recommendations for my mom. She loved Serial, and chewed through all of Casefile's episodes in like a month. Is there anything similar to Casefile out there? I tried a couple like sword and scale but they just seemed like low-rent ripoffs trying to capitalize on Serial's format and popularity.

It's more episodic than Serial, but Criminal is a great true crime podcast.

Edit: Also, it's not exactly what you asked for, but Ear Hustle may be of interest - it's sort of true crime-adjacent, as it's a podcast about prison life, produced by prisoners.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Dan Carlin is trying to do shorter, more frequent shows again

http://dchhaddendum.libsyn.com/

Episode 2 is a crossover episode with Mike Duncan, discussing Rome

Any guesses on how long this one will last before it too goes to 6 hours every 3 months?

Also I'm glad he's breaking out the interview-type shows into a different feed. They can be good, but it definitely feels like a different show when he does them.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Hard to get more graphic than some parts of Ghosts of the Ostfront or Prophets of Doom. Wonder what this one will be about.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've tried to listen to three or four parcast podcasts, and holy poo poo they are all terrible. What the hell is going on at parcast? All their hosts sound like they're up to their eyeballs on ketamine. They have little bits of scripted banter, but the hosts sound like they've literally never felt an emotion so it just makes the whole thing feel like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

I feel like Parcast is really, really trying to do the Professional Radio Sound but went way off the “boring, over-scripted, over-produced” end because they don’t actually know what good audio content sounds like.

Podcasts are always way better if you have hosts who are passionate about the thing, even if they're not great at the technical aspects of podcasting.

E: Also they have SO MUCH advertising. My "skip forward" button got more use on one episode of a Parcast show than on like 6 others combined.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Four and a half hours, kicking off a series about the Pacific theater of WW2. We might have reached peak Hardcore History.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fuf posted:

it's a big deal if it wakes you up, or if you're working out, cooking, driving, or engaged in some other activity

when are you listening to podcasts while just looking at your phone ready to hit the forward button?

In most podcast apps you can hit the “skip track” button on your headphones/car and it’ll skip forward a configurable amount but typically 15-30s.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

This alone means it's bad.

If you want to know why, just go and listen to either this or any of their shows. If the hosts' robotic delivery doesn't want to make you ripoff your headphones, you might be their target audience.

Yeah, Parcast shows are… not good. I made it through a whole 6 or 7 episodes of their podcast about cults. If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to listen to the “actors” from your work’s lovely discount annual sexual harassment training videos do a podcast with just as much enthusiasm, Parcast has got your back.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I don't think I even listened to the most recent full episode, I just don't really need another 4 hours of the Pacific theater in my life

Yeah I think I got bored like 3/4 of the way through episode 1 of his Pacific theater series. Dude’s waaaay better talking about ancient history than anything after the industrial revolution.

It’s only peripherally related to this thread, but I’ve been having a great time listening to Apocrypals recently. It’s two non-believing (but raised Christian) comic book authors reading and discussing the Bible and various apocrypha. It’s not super academic by any means, but they try to at least cover the primary theories and interpretations to get a sense of how any given thing fits in to the bigger picture. And it’s also hilarious, there’s a lot of weird poo poo in the Bible and a LOT of VERY weird poo poo in the apocrypha.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Musk is an attention-seeking dweeb, he probably asked to be on.

It very well could be this; I could very easily see Musk being a Common Sense listener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Cessna posted:

Can we give a negative review of a historical podcast?

People don’t seem to have any issue with dishing on Hardcore History. As long as you’re clear about what’s not good about it and not like “this show sucks dickbutt and only idiots listen to it” I’d be happy to hear both positive and negative opinions.