Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

mcmagic posted:

He pretty much talks around everything in circles for an hour without ever really saying anything.

As a Hardcore History listener who subscribes to, but has never listened to, Common Sense, I'm glad to hear that my suspicions are dead-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Antti posted:

I listen to both but if I had to pick it'd be 538.

I'm listening to both, Political Gabfest, and sometimes The Weeds and Primary Concerns, but 538 is probably my favorite of all of them. I'm not sure what it is about their dynamic but it's a lot of fun to listen to.

And yes I am very ready for this election to be over.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Whiz Kid Harry Enten

He's looking for a girlfriend

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Speaking of Carlin did anybody listen to his latest Common Sense podcast? I don't actually listen to it myself but the summary sounds like peak Carlin.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Mike Pesca has The Gist, but I haven't listened to enough episodes to recommend/not recommend it and I think it dips into culture when politics has a slow day.

Any NPR show that airs M-F might count?

The full Crooked Media podcast family has to be close to daily at this point also, I would think.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Ghosts of the ostfront and Wrath of the khans are his best series because Dan's crazy reading voices most suit apocalyptic World War II letters and insane Mongol rants of superiority.

Has he read the Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks on an episode yet?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I've only listened to the first season but Breakdown was pretty good. I haven't listened to any of Crimetown but it's on my list.
Lore does some true crime stuff sometimes (I started listening because they did a Hinterkaifeck episode) as well.

The Manson season of You Must Remember This should count as well; she just re-released it (I think as "You Must Remember Manson" or something) after he died.

e: There's a podcast about Heaven's Gate going on right now that I haven't touched yet if that counts too?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I liked Uncivil. It was a little unfocused and sometimes over self-congratulatory but it was a nice break from "guy with microphone drones on for an hour and a half."

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh, I eventually decided the lawfare podcast would fit the bill.

Edit: I say that based on stuff like this https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-niall-ferguson-square-and-tower

Lawfare's been pretty good for a while now but I wish they'd stop putting out so many "here's an unedited conference call we recorded sorry the quality sucks" episodes.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I'm sure he'll dominate 9.3 but I'm vaguely disappointed we don't get multiple episodes of "hey guys Santa Anna's back again and loving everything up" out of this.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 8, 2018

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I've only listened to the Justinian and Hundred Year's War episodes of Tides of History but I remember the background audio being a lot less distracting for the HYW episodes.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Prairie Bus posted:

Anyone who dropped The RFK Tapes because it seemed like the host was too credulous about the conspiracies should give it another try. He does a good job in the later episodes of discounting and explaining the inconsistencies and ultimately finds them unconvincing.

It's almost become more of a documentary about the RFK conspiracy community than about the RFK assassination, which has suited it pretty well.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Intelligence Matters is a pretty decent podcast, but it's still a little jarring to realize that I'm trying to gain objective information by listening to a podcast literally sponsored by Raytheon.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1071127557431537665?s=19

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1071138264432685056?s=19

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

End it with Yeltsin standing on the tank.

The revolution never stopped before then, comrades.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Three years after Trump cut a Pizza Hut commercial :hmmyes:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Inward Empire is great and I'm really glad I followed the thread's recommendation to start listening a year or so ago. The King Philip's War two-parter is one of my favorite podcast listens ever and is everything I wish Hardcore History could be.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

webmeister posted:

I'm a fan of Omnibus as well, though I tend to pick and choose which episodes I listen to as I've found some of them not particularly interesting. If you're delving into the backlog I'd go in reverse chronological order (most -> least recent), as I think their earlier episodes were much worse about staying on topic. I don't mind when they go off-piste with the riffing, but when you're excited to hear them talk about X and you just get 10 minutes of Star Trek jokes it's a little off-putting.

The live episodes are also pretty bad offenders; I think they insist on fitting two episodes into each festival slot so each episode is a lot shorter, less focused, and (at least in one case) ends immediately after they get to the subject.

Definitely one of my favorite podcasts though.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

webmeister posted:

aka The Dan Carlin Effect

I just wanted to understand the underlying causes of Piłsudski's rise to power and six hours later I'd checked four Hulk Hogan biographies out from the library.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Let me guess: Caesar wins?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Dikkfor posted:

Why did none of you idiots tell me there was a new episode of Inward Empire?

gently caress!

FWIW if you're like me and try to wait until the series is done, this episode ends with Diem solidifying his power in South Vietnam. There's going to be at least one more episode in the series.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

a fatguy bald spot posted:

Are there any good podcasts about the dark ages, migration age Europe, all that jazz? I’ve always been really interested in the period after the fall of Rome to the tenth century, but it’s hard to find good stuff outside of Wikipedia.

Twelve Byzantine Emperors was the first podcast I listened to; I haven't touched it in seven years or so but I remember it being pretty good.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I can't imagine we won't get a quick shot at the Spartacists, if not the entire German Revolution. Might wind up as a side episode or two of the Russia series but you could lump in Hungary and Bavaria as well and go full red scare.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

Not about the american revolution, but Inward Empire is a really good podcast on specific moments in American history.

If you're interested in the American Revolution then the two-part King Philip's War episode of Inward Empire will probably be interesting to you as well.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Ads for American Elections: Wicked Game popped up in some of my other historical podcast. Is it any good?

It's not bad so far; they cover a lot of background on the candidates instead of just "and then Pennsylvania voted for this guy, but New York voted for that guy." I definitely like it better than the Presidential podcast Slate(?) did leading up to the 2016 election.

e: It's mostly been about The Great Men behind the elections so far but to be fair they're only up to 1796 so everything is just Washington, Hamilton, Adams, Burr, Jefferson, and Madison trying to dick each other over. It'll be interesting to see if they pivot away from that later on.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I gave a listen to what's out so far and I do like the information they're presenting, it's nicely in-depth, but it feels a little overproduced for my taste. I'm still gonna listen, mind, it's just that it feels like it depends overmuch on Dramatic Narration and Musical Stings and the like instead of letting the things they're discussing sort of speak for themselves.

But that's a style complaint, not a substance one. The substance is pretty good.

Also this, it's really overproduced in the same way that Tides of History is. It's mostly at the beginning of each episode (they'll do some sound effects, have two or three voices read out a hypothetical conversation, then transition from that into the podcast). It's a little less jarring than a bunch of the Tides introductions, but it's mostly confined to the beginning of the episodes. They'll do big dramatic buildups right before the ad breaks as well, but I kind of like that because it lets me know I can reach for the fast forward button.

Interestingly they have a "these aren't the exact words used in the conversation" disclaimer at the end of each episode, which I haven't heard in other Wondery podcasts. I wonder if it's because we'll probably get some juicy recreations of Atwater conversations or McCain's aides dumping on Sarah Palin and they want to cover their bases now?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I've only listened to the Khmer episode so far but it was great and easily worth the time. Can't wait to download the rest and catch up.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

If you're enjoying the last couple episodes of Inward Empire, I binged through the podcast that the host recommended at the end of the last episode -- Shadows of Utopia -- and it's really good. It's a Khmer/Cambodian history podcast that touches on a lot of the corners that this thread seems to appreciate; there's two episodes about the Khmer Empire that kind of touch on the overlapping Fall of Civilizations episode (but with less of a "why did Angkor Wat specifically fail?" angle), the episodes about early colonialism have a great Behind the Bastards-esque saga about a couple conquistadors really loving everything up while looking for mythical gold mines, there's a couple episodes about Marxist theory with an eye towards the Khmer Rouge that more succinctly rehashes a bunch of the recent season of Revolutions, and the most recent episode that just dropped covers World War II and dovetails nicely with the SUPERNOVA IN THE EAST episodes without bringing up Chuck Norris, Batman, or Darth Vader.

A+ would recommend; it's probably become my favorite non-fiction podcast (especially with Revolutions going on hiatus).

EDIT: also if you liked Uncivil, I just stumbled into Scene on Radio and the former cohost of Uncivil (Chenjerai Kumanyika) is co-producing the current season, which is about race in America. It's not quite the same as Uncivil since it's more concerned with going through the entire history of the US but it still takes a pretty similar anecdote-based approach to storytelling (the Civil Rights movement episode is largely about Freedom Summer, then in turn that spends a plurality of the episode talking about Fannie Lou Harmer).

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 14, 2020

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

To be brief he was famously Nixon's Secretary of State and responsible for that administration's foreign affairs "achievements".

He also won the Nobel Peace Prize for this.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

The Facebook group for The Weeds is absolutely terrible, regardless of your feelings on the podcast and its hosts.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Part five of the diem experiment is up

It's also (I assume) the last part given that he ends up dead in this episode if you've been waiting to do the whole thing in one listen and didn't get bamboozled by part four like I did.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Has anyone listened to Fiasco? The David Duke season of Slow Burn was fine I guess but I missed Leon Nayfakh in a way that I didn't in the Biggie & Tupac season, so I was wondering if his new(er) podcast might scratch that itch.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

buglord posted:

Holy moly this is a lot of content to chew on. Thank you!

It's pretty good; the host is up front about being an amateur doing the podcast for fun but his enthusiasm really shines through and he's really transparent about his sourcing.

My biggest gripe is probably that he gets too into the weeds on his subjects but obviously that's not terrible when it's a subject you like too!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

If you liked the first two seasons of Slow Burn, Luminary dropped the first season of Leon Nayfakh's (previously paywalled) follow-up podcast Fiasco a month or so ago. It's about Bush v. Gore/the Florida recount and it's great; I haven't minded the following seasons of Slow Burn but this really reminded me of the magic that was the first two seasons.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Has anyone listened to History Impossible? They dropped a six hour episode about the 1919 influenza pandemic that I'm interested in, but I've never listened before and don't know if it's a reliable or quality podcast.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I'm finishing The Fault Line: Bush, Blair and Iraq and it's a pretty interesting podcast about the leadup to the Iraq War (with a focus on the UK government's march to war, but some substantial Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld-Powell drama recurring). A nice companion to the Bush v. Gore Fiasco podcast I mentioned at the top of the page and the Floodlines podcast about Hurricane Katrina if the Bush years are all starting to run together for you.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I listen to most podcasts at about 1.7x speed but about once a year I suddenly can't retain any information that way and have to go back to like 1.2x and work my way back up.

Chairman Capone posted:

You might also want to listen to Blowback, a 10-part miniseries on the Iraq War that came out earlier this year.

Thanks for this recommendation; I'm finishing the final episode tomorrow. It's a really good podcast that's dovetailing nicely into The Fault Line but without a ton of overlap (since Fault Line was more UK-focused). I'm fairly familiar with the subject matter but I didn't know a lot about Ahmed Chalabi outside of "he told us what we wanted to hear then Iraqis didn't actually give a poo poo about him" so this has really filled in that big gap.

I don't *love* the random pop culture clips (I'm fine with hosts having fun; they just feel out of the place here) but that's such a minor quibble and it's not like we get a 30 minute Carlin monologue about Batman and Wolverine every time.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

The second season of Gangster Capitalism is about all the self-dealing within the NRA that's hopefully going to bring the whole organization down if you're enjoying living in the "Republicans doing specific, awful things in the 21st century" mood. It's a really good story about selfish people thinking they're Frank Underwood and trying to outmaneuver each other to cover up their financial crimes and throw other people under the bus.

Also a different period of time but Rick Perlstein's giant books are good about capturing the evolution of American conservatism if you want to burn through an Audible trial or something.

e: but Floodlines specifically is incredible and one of the most moving podcasts I've listened to this year. Definitely add it to your queue.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I binged through about half of the Business Wars backlog like two years ago (when there was a lot less content) and yeah you can definitely skip it. It was a pretty decent podcast to listen to at 2x speed while doing puzzles because you wouldn't miss anything important if you zoned out for a few seconds but it felt overly scripted and simultaneously not researched enough on topics I was sort of familiar with. I wouldn't recommend it but I'd agree that most of the Parcast output is worse.

In general there was a lot of focus on how the businesses were started then a quick AND HERE'S WHERE THEY ARE TODAY segment -- I remember they skipped some part of the DC vs. Marvel rivalry (maybe the Marvel bankruptcy? probably also the early media adaptations of both like the Superman movies or the X-Men and Batman cartoons) that felt like a relevant part of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

If you're looking for decent business podcasts, the Harvard Business Review has at least two podcasts (HBR Ideacast and Dear HBR) that were both pretty good when I went though a business podcast phase a few years ago.

Planet Money is usually pretty good although I'm still not over them airing a two-parter of Pinochet apologia. The Indicator is also pretty good and daily.