Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, he stakes out fairly extreme positions a lot of the time, plus he tends to hit the same few points over and over again. It's not to everyone's taste. Hardcore History is more entertaining, more of a "here's what happened" as opposed to "here's what SHOULD happen" so it's really not surprising that Hardcore is ten times as popular as Common Sense.

Personally, I listen to Common Sense when I remember to, but it's not a priority listen for me the way Hardcore History is. And I don't begrudge anyone who chooses to skip Sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Gooch posted:

even with the minor nit picking on Dans method and his not perfect approach, I think we can all agree that he works hard to put out a good history podcast. And I appreciate the discussion generated in this thread. I find the whole thing very fascinating. I don't understand people with absolutely no curiosity for the worlds history. Am I right dudes?

You have no idea. I was working in a library a few years back and one of my coworkers, a young woman in her '20s, held up a copy of "1776" and asked "Why would anyone write a book about a year?" After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I explained it to her. She shrugged and went back to work none the wiser. :sigh:

Now in her case, I wasn't expecting too much. She'd been a beauty on "Beauty and the Geek", after all. But what disturbed me was that I went around and asked a number of our coworkers her age, including some I'd thought to be intelligent and well educated, and none of them knew what the significance of the year 1776 was for Americans. In America. In a reasonably well off suburb with an award winning high school. :suicide:

And only one of them was at all disturbed that she didn't know and made any effort to learn more.

I mean, look, I don't expect everyone to get into military minutia. I know about Dan Sickles nearly costing the Union the Battle of Gettsyburg, and maybe the war, in the Peach Orchard. I don't expect random people off the street to get that. That stuff is for us MilHis nerds. But it'd be nice if people knew that there was a Battle of Gettysburg at all! Or that when we all get July 4th off of work, it's because of things that happened on July 4th, 1776!

Is that too much to ask?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

What's really bad is how no one bothers to mention things like the War of 1812 being a minor sideshow in the greater Napoleonic Wars. It's just "Impressment, Brits bad, White House burn, Battle of New Orleans we win, hooray!" :rolleyes:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I think, technically, the order of those last two go, "...we win, Battle of New Orleans, hooray!"

And wouldn't it be nice if they taught it that way? :sigh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hee. That was pretty amusing. :golfclap:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

midnightclimax posted:

Are there any good podcasts on finance and the economy out there? Like one not necessarily about US specifics all the time, since I'm in Europe.

I'm a fan of BBC's More or Less. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

TheLoquid posted:

If you like calling long dead historical figures douchebags, this is your podcast

Well, who doesn't?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Gyges posted:

In addition to all the dumb sounds and music, Mike Duncan's narration is different than it usually is for his podcasts. Which is weird because thanks to all the comments I was prepared for the noise but found Mike's narration odd. It's not bad, but something about it just sounds less polished than usual. Less like a conversation with a professor on the topic of their specialty and more like listening to your friend telling you about what you missed in class yesterday.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I wonder if rather than having his guests write their own stuff, Brown's doing some kind of interview Q&A sort of thing and editing out his questions? Either that or Duncan decided to try out a less formal style for this one? I dunno. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

webmeister posted:

Interesting, the Ten American Presidents podcast just published episode four, featuring the little-known President Colin Powell :stare:

Well, that's stretching the premise somewhat. Who's next, Josiah Bartlet? :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I just checked on The History of Rome on iTunes and listing it through the date released, it immediatly jumps from 001- In The Beginning to 011 - The Morning After. Is this correct?

Nope.

http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/2008/11/index.html

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Alright, I'm all caught up with Revolutions, HH, Revolutions, and the Bonapartes. Not really interested in Byzantium or pirates, are there any other big ones? Preferably something humorous like the Bonapartes.

I take it your duplication of Revolutions means you've actually done History of Rome AND Revolutions? Because if not, History of Rome is the obvious next step.

As far as "big" ones, there isn't too much else..history podcasting isn't exactly a huge field with many superstars, or anything. There are a few professionally produced ones, especially by the BBC, like "In Our Time" or BBC History Magazine's "History Extra".

For humor, someone here(?) aimed me at "The Rex Factor", where a couple of Brits go through the various English monarchs from Alfred the Great on and then rate them for things like Battleworthieness, Lineage, and "The Rex Factor". It's a fairly deep dive into English history, and if it's not your bag it won't do much for you, but it is there for the relative lightheartedness of the affair.

And of course there are some alternate history shows, like "Ancient Rome Refocused" and "The Twilight Histories" that come at history from odd angles.

Some of those might work for you.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Oh yeah I did HoR. I'll check out Rex Factor. The alt history stuff is a little odd to me, is it literally just alt history radio dramas? That's what TH sounded like when that guy showed up on the Bonapartes.

The Twilight Histories is mostly alt history radio dramas, albeit done 2nd person, so it's "you" doing the actions. They do flip over to occasional straight historical pieces, though, like one about a guy who was on the last flight out of Stalingrad, that kind of thing.

Ancient Rome Refocused does some alt history, but mostly does dramatizations of historical scenarios..and well done ones, too...followed by a discussion of the actual history, sometimes with an interview of an expert, sometimes not. It's a good show, but it hasn't updated in ages. Still, you can make your way through the archives.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The Real Quaid posted:

History boys: What's your opinion on The History of Byzantium podcast- good/poo poo? Only listened to 1 ep so far, it sounded like a really corny flamboyant dad telling a scary bedtime story to a kid- seriously hokey and affected, I didn't enjoy the style at all. I liked 12 Byzantine Rulers & the History of Rome so was really hoping this would be good.

I'm fond of it. In fact I was listening to the most recent episode when I saw this post. :shrug:

Was the episode you listened to the first one? Because if it was, know that Pierson was imitating History of Rome too much back then, and he eventually developed his own style and format. Try something more recent and see if you like it better.

If you did try one more recent and still don't like it? Well, not ever 'cast is for everyone, I guess.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

toanoradian posted:

What do people think of the Rex Factor? I've been loving it so far, to the point of putting it in first priority above the comedy podcasts.

Makes me wanna memorize the kings and queens of England.

I'm a fan. Not only is the 'cast amusing, but it fills in the gaps of my English history knowledge by covering the reigns of kings who don't usually get much play. It's a good show, if you don't mind the irreverence. And as I'm also a fan of The Lesser Bonapartes, irreverence ain't a problem for me.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

CountFosco posted:

I still subscribe to and ostensibly listen to the History of Byzantium podcast but it's been a while since I could bring myself to listen to it because the history itself I find just so depressing and sad.

Hell, it ain't even THAT bad yet. They've got six hundred and fifty years of death spiral left from the current episode!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Pity his machine blew up before he could do the summary episode. It's going to be a long few months until he gets Haiti going, alas.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, in particular he was pretty down on Louis XVI for being a wishy-washy flip-flopper who had chances to save his throne but blew them through indecision or bad decisions at critical moments. I mean unless you're thinking that anyone who doesn't portray a monarch as a baby-eating monster instead of a schlub who got out of his depth and lost it all is "pro-monarchy" or something. Because otherwise, I just don't see it.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 11, 2015

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Because he's a white male history nerd on the internet. If you haven't noticed, they tend to have a libertarian streak to them

Of course. Why bother analyzing his work and what he's actually said when we can just apply broad stereotypes? Obvious, really. :rolleyes:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

webmeister posted:

I admittedly haven't finished yet, but the Haiti series is pretty good. It's a lot easier to follow than the French Revolution, simply because there's really only about 10 guys you have to keep serious track of.

And of those guys only like four or five are active at any given time.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Without discounting the idea that some theoretical third party might in some future day be acceptable,. the problem is that the third parties we actually have are both complete non-starters. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, I did the same. That said, I rather think the Greater Bonapartes series was kind of the high point of the original team.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

What's fun is when events in one revolution tags into another. French to Haitian happens a lot, but Haitian to Bolivar happens more often than you'd think too. And of course American helped caused the French by bankrupting Bourbon France. It's pretty interesting, all things considered.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Zeta Taskforce posted:

How is Skeptoid these days? I tried listening to it years ago and the actual content was interesting but ultimately I found Brian Dunning to be too smug. I trust that he is out of jail now?

If you like Skeptoid you really need to listen to Oh No Ross and Carrie. They are probably my favorite podcast at this point. What makes them different from practically everything and everyone else is they don't just report on whatever they are doing, but take part themselves, whether that be joining crazy and/or dangerous religions, weird detox cleanses, or give themselves or John Hodgeman shocks. But they come at everything with an open mind and genuine respect for the people they encounter, and report their observations and experiences with humor and honesty. It comes out once a month, which is pretty good for the amount of work that goes into each episode, but they have about 5 years of material out so even if you binge listened it will keep you busy for good while.

What amazes me about Oh No Ross and Carrie is how so MUCH of pseudo-science, mysticism, and claims of the paranormal turn out to involves sitting in a Holiday Inn conference room listening to some goober drone on and on about his/her pet theory! :doh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Caught Mike Duncan's presentation and book signing for Storm before the Storm outside Chicago last night. It was on the floor of a bookstore, there were probably 75 people or so in attendance, 50 of whom had chairs. He did about 45 minutes of a prepared talk about the book (and things around the book) then answered questions for another half hour or so. He re-iterated that he's planning on ending Revolutions with Iran, and mentioned that he's going to also do at least Russia and Cuba as well. Questions related to comparing America 2017 to Rome 133 BC were interesting, but his thoughts on how they differ, aside from obvious technological advances, I thought were even more so. For instance, the Roman Republic never really had a Civil War equivalent, and the (small c) conservative nature of Roman society made them less well equipped to adapt to the societal changes forced upon them from suddenly growing from city-state to Mediterranean empire.

I bailed before the book signing part itself, but the talk was pretty good. If you plan to go, take his advice and get there earlier than 15 minutes before it begins, or else risk sitting on the stairs like I ended up doing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

sat on my keys! posted:

I know, but I’ve already listened to Revolutions and I want more, please :(

When Diplomacy Fails did a couple of episodes on it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mzuri posted:

Any podcasts dealing with the old religions? Horse, Greek, Roman, Aztec etc.

e: leaving the autocorrect in, as it's great.

Closest I can think of is Martyrmade which had three eps on the Aztecs. It's got six episodes on the birth of Israel, though that's hardly "old". Very well done, for the most part.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Blues Hammer posted:

Just finished History of Rome. Remember it being kind of rough and awkwardly done in the early going, but came away feeling like I appreciate Duncan's dry-but-comprehensive style over Carlin's melodrama.

My one nitpick on Duncan is his tendency to "spoil" his narrative by saying things like ...and by the way, this guy kills that guy five years from now... Even where I already new a lot of that stuff, it just tripped up the flow somewhat. Does he still do that in Revolutions? Thinking of starting that soon.

Not as much, though there's occasionally a "...and this other guy was there too. Remember him for later."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Sulphagnist posted:

Missed opportunity to name it "Are you a bad enough dude to save the Republic?" but that was fun. And also the Good Ending is fairly obviously telegraphed. Though I'm not sure saving the Republic by giving all the credit to Sulla is a viable long-term solution.

Why not? Sulla pulled a Cincinatus and retired after all the killing. Give him his credit early and often, and having succeeded at land reform and Italian citizens, there's no reason for him to go sickhouse on you in the first place. He'll be the next Consul, sure, but who cares? You did what you needed to to keep the Republic going another couple of generations, without making 'force is the only answer' a precedent for guys like Caesar. Seems like it could have worked, assuming you could find a guy in the right place with the right degree of self-sacrifice and lack of ego. Which, admittedly was pretty rare among the Romans, or any era of people really. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I'd listen to enough of a Duncan Baseball series to finally learn what a designated hit is and why every baseball nerd hates it so much.

poo poo, that's easy. The problem with baseball...well a problem with baseball, it has several...is that not all teams play by the same rules. Half the teams in Major League Baseball (the ones in the National League) require the pitcher to take a turn hitting, the same as all the rest of the players on his team. Half of the teams (the ones in the American League) do not. Those that do not have a special player, the Designated Hitter, who comes up to bat instead of the pitcher.

Baseball nerds hate this because...

1) It's obviously imbalanced. American League teams have better hitting, but their pitchers only bat when they play in a National League park and as such, tend to be even worse at hitting than your average National League pitcher.

2) It removes subtlety. In the American League, when you replace a pitcher is entirely based on how well that pitcher is pitching. In the National League, however, you can remove your pitcher and replace him with a guy who's a good hitter, then either replace that guy or take one of your other position players out and put in a new pitcher. This is known as a Double Switch, and baseball nerds love it because it allows more in the way of tactics than American League baseball has.

Thing is the DH is never going away, because it allows MLB to...

1) Get more offense. Having better hitters out there leads to more runs, which makes for more exciting games.

2) Extend the career of older players who are good hitters but not great fielders anymore. Since, in theory, your DH should be one of the best hitters on your team, it allows a place for big, slow, powerful guys to whack the ball around without having to give up defense because those guys often can't run very far or fast and therefore make crappy fielders.

Therefore, it is much more likely that MLB will make the DH universal rather than abolish it, which I'm in favor of because it will make baseball nerds cry, and their suffering is probably the most amusing thing left in baseball these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Viktor posted:

There has to be a story behind this as Indy/Spartacus has gone on to form a new company around this.

I wonder what was the terms that caused the split.

From what I understand (as noted here: https://blog.patreon.com/creative-freedom-time-ghost?no-cache=1 ) it essentially boiled down to not being answerable to guys in suits. Which I guess is fair enough.