Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hazborgufen posted:

Are there any good podcasts about the Soviet Union? I'm talking everything from early revolution to the Cold War, to politics between the various Eastern Bloc countries. Especially interesting would be anything that helps to picture life behind the Iron Curtain - culture, underground groups, contact with the West, scientists, etc.

And on a related note, is there a podcast for the history of the Balkans? Beyond just the Cold War, I'm curious about ancient history up through current day with a focus on the wars after the fall of the USSR.

I tried The History of the Cold War, but it was so painful to listen to that I just gave up.

Surely the Eastern Border podcast is good for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

An odd question, I know, but does anyone know what's the name of the ditty that's played on the Maritime History podcast?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

euphronius posted:

He’s getting there

He was moderate when he started Rome

You love to see him getting more and more radicalized the further the series goes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

golden bubble posted:

In Our Time is good, but you should look for the episodes after the shows on the Industrial Revolution, which are pretty early in the series. Those are the episodes where the host gets confronted about his opinions on the British Imperialism, but things get much better after that. I really enjoy the rest of the series so far. On the opposite note, I've soured on the History Extra Podcast. I used to listen to every episode, but I found it feeling more and more Tory, so I've been skipping episodes for that podcast now. Lastly, the History of Philosophy without any Gaps is still amazing, but I can't listen to it casually. Philosophy has so many specific terms and unique abstractions that missing a minute or two can leave me totally lost.

Which episodes are those where Bragg gets shot down? I'd want to hear them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BTW Rob, I know you are in touch with... uh, at least one of the people from Ethnically Ambiguous, or otherwise I'm voice-blind along with my face-blindness; but are there other podcasters you are in contact with?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You can lead a horse to water... (Shamelessly stolen from IOSM):

https://mobile.twitter.com/chiefpad...agenumber%3D262

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sydin posted:

A story I'd really like to hear is the impact of the Age of Imperialism, WW1, and WW2 on Africa and the Middle East, from the perspective of Africa and the Middle East. The scramble for Africa, post WW1/Ottoman Empire partitioning of the Middle East, and the Africa campaigns in WW2 largely shaped the geopolitics of those areas up through the modern day and something other than a bland retelling from an Imperialist western perspective would be fascinating.

History of the 20th century is pretty good for this. And not problematic... Last time I checked.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

SerCypher posted:

Yes, that is us! I appreciate the kind words.

I know some people in here prefer the very focused and lengthy exploration of topics some other podcasts do, but neither of us is a professional historian (and we both have day jobs) so we'd never be able to match that level of detail. Also sometimes we talk about modern stuff because modern chinese politics and society gets us down and we need to vent.

Instead we try to find topics that interest us personally, and do as much research as we can to give context to the event (and hopefully get across why we think its interesting). Chinese history and culture of the past 200 years is so crazy and chaotic and interesting that we enjoy doing the podcast for fun.

I've just started listening to your most recent episode. I have read some of the Fu Manchu stories. All I can say is: 'oof'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah you can hear him losing sympathy for the liberal revolutionary types who he was very sympathetic to in the previous series.

Radicalization is real.

Edit: I think it was hearing about the castration by molasses which got me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

His house would have better called Dunning-Kruger than Romanov.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Vagabong posted:

Nicholas II probably evokes more sympathy than Charles I or Louis XVI simply due to how badly things ended not just for him but his immediate family, even if his own actions played a major role in landing them in that cellar.

I'm afraid I too disagree with this viewpoint, too. Caring as he was to his family, he was a theocratic, antisemitic autocrat. I certainly have more sympathy for XVI, which admittedly, ain't much either.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I do love how he's become more and more radicalized.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

You have to remember, a lot of peasants believed their rulers had their best interest at heart.

It obviously must be the monarch didn’t know their sorrows, or worse, a bad advisor was lying to the king. So remove him and everything will be better!

It never got better and mostly ended with then dying horribly

See Father Gapon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm sure there's, like, one of you in this thread who hasn't heard yet, but apparently Mike Duncan has written a twelve song pop-punk rock opera about the French revolution.

Wh-

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The When Diplomacy Fails on the Korean war is very interesting, although it's revisionist bordering on conspiratorial. I'll give Zach credit he backs his poo poo up even if I still don't agree with his conclusions

I'm not meaning to sound confrontational (hell, I've not listened to the episodes) but in what way?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh, it’s definitely location based. Ever since I moved to another country, I have been getting certain ads in the local language which I never have before.

Ditto.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i believe they have a podcast too.

Your belief is well-founded.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I suppose I would want to know if there are any podcasts which DO cover those revolutions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Arcsech posted:

Yeah I think I got bored like 3/4 of the way through episode 1 of his Pacific theater series. Dude’s waaaay better talking about ancient history than anything after the industrial revolution.

It’s only peripherally related to this thread, but I’ve been having a great time listening to Apocrypals recently. It’s two non-believing (but raised Christian) comic book authors reading and discussing the Bible and various apocrypha. It’s not super academic by any means, but they try to at least cover the primary theories and interpretations to get a sense of how any given thing fits in to the bigger picture. And it’s also hilarious, there’s a lot of weird poo poo in the Bible and a LOT of VERY weird poo poo in the apocrypha.

That reminds me of the Sunday School Dropouts. I was sad that they didn't continue the podcast with other religious texts. Wonder what the two of them are up to, now?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Appoda posted:

I've been listening to Sunday School Dropouts, a show where a former Christian and a non-believer read through the bible a book at a time. They're not experts, but they are perhaps the cutest couple in podcast history and their rapport is very charming.

They started the pod just as trump became a political figure, so occasionally they mention him. And of course, the bible itself is a huge part of how politics have developed in the west and modern American culture, and they talk about that when it is relevant. But it's also a lot of "gee wiz is Paul ever gonna shut up about foreskins" and otherwise treating the bible as a book club. I think it's fun but YMMV.

I remember those two! I sent in a couple of things to them and they read it out and I felt very validated.

I was so hoping they would read other holy books in the same way, but alas - it was not to be.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I remember someone critiquing WDF re. their Korean war coverage, I don't think people should only talk about things they like here.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Eldoop posted:

Are there any good podcasts on the history of the Christian church out there aside from Communio Sanctorum? I started listening to CS after seeing it recommended a lot but I was really put off by the way he talks about Jews and Judaism. In the first episode he paints the rabbis of Jesus' time as a bunch of squabbling out-of-touch relics and in the second he flat out describes Judaism as existing to pave the way for Jesus. I'm very interested in church history but not so much in being preached to and told that my religion is just so much scaffolding for the true faith.

I was about to suggest Pontifacts, but that's about the Popes and not specifically early church stuff. Other people's suggestions sound better.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sydin posted:

How many hours in before he tries to both sides slavery?

Dang it, I was about to make that joke.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

If I ever start a history podcast I'm gonna lead with "I am history's greatest historian. Suck it Herodotus, Gibbon, Suetonius. Losers all of you" then a brisk 5 minute guitar solo thus demonstrating I am also the worlds greatest guitarist, and on with the show.

Well, I'm convinced!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Cockblocktopus posted:

Honestly, look into other BBC podcasts. A History of the World in 100 Objects might be up your alley.

That was a good series.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, I'm saddened that he won't be covering those other Revolutions, too.

But by God I can understand him wanting to stop.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

End of an era, everyone. The final episode of Revolutions is up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Seconded - the person seems to be pretty on the level.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Cockblocktopus posted:

:siren: New podcast alert :siren:

The Rest Is History just dropped a promotional episode for Empire, which is a podcast about the British East India Company plundering the Indian subcontinent (supposedly it will be a podcast about other empires as well but there are exactly two episodes out so far).

I don't know much about the subject matter so I can't unequivocally say THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED but it's a pretty good podcast so far. Good production, engaging storytelling, and it seems like they have a plan to get through the story in a fairly timely manner. It seems like a good addition to my rotation and the first two episodes flew right by.

Fingers crossed and thanks for the recommendation.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Also just swinging back to say thank you for the recommendation, Empire is absolutely wonderful.

Especially... William Dalrymple :v:

Yeah, he seems to be one of the good Brits; the one who freely and readily admits how loving horrendous the Empire was.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

:same:

If Revolutions has one great failing it's not covering Iran or Afghanistan. Or not going back to cover the American Revolution again, you can basically see Mike's politics and sympathies shifting as he goes along through France and Haiti lol

It's great, isn't it?

It is a shame he wasn't able to cover China, Cuba and Iran.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

And justifications for concentration camps.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Neat! I also need to check if I should swap podcast apps, cause this ain't up on Player.fm, and it's not been the only channel that that's happened with

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's all rather minor, but the Fall of Civilization dude told Musk to gently caress off (rightfully so), so the usual psycho-nutters are trying to paint them in the worst light.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

webmeister posted:

If you can stand Dan Carlin and his boxing/alien analogies, his series on WW1 (Blueprint for Armageddon) is pretty decent, one of his better ones imo

Eh... Doesn't it maintain the standard falsehoods about the shooting of Franz Ferdinand?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I think History of the 20th century by Marc Painter did a pretty good general overview of WW1 also.

But I would certainly say WDFs is more in-depth re. politics and diplomacy. HoXX is more holistic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hopefully this will stop the psycho-nutters from continually messaging them with whataboutisms (this will not).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sydin posted:

That said, I think there's a very big difference between the US backing a bunch of clandestine militias and factionalized warlords in Afghanistan vs backing the legitimate government of a developed modern nation in Ukraine. I won't pretend that anything close to all of that support being provided is actually ending up in the proper hands, but I also don't see Ukraine devolving into a extremist failed state post-war, regardless of the outcome.

I do know I've heard some hand-wringing over what Ukraine will do after the invasion with all these armaments to hand, but I find it extraordinarily unlikely it would be anything like what some have suggested.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Not that we needed evidence that Carlin had lost the plot, but this is... Uh...

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1712180772151710190

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Does he still hold with 'genocide can be good, actually?'