Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm enjoying the Tides prehistory stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you want an interesting business podcast type of show CBC radio does "Under the Influence" and it's about marketing and advertising. Keep in mind that it's produced primarily as a radio show that airs once per week so it has different pacing and what not. It's available on podcast platforms.

It's good enough that I'm stoked if it comes on when I'm driving and listening to the radio, but not good enough for me to seek it out when looking for a podcast.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Any news on The History of Byzantium?

Also are there any good literary studies podcasts? Anything that's at least mid-weight scholarly?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

evilpicard posted:

New Books Network literary studies sub-podcast. I haven't listened in a few years but the production wasn't great but the content was high level the last time I listened.

https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/id426178886

Thanks! I'll check it out! 100% of the time I'll take content over production, if I have to choose.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm caught up on Tides of History, Revolutions, History of Byzantium, History of English, and Inward Empires. Where do I go next?

I like extended prose essay or academic interview format and dislike panel of talking heads podcasts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks! Ill check both out

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaneError posted:

I should forewarn you, the BHP is granular. It's currently on episode 370, and we mayyyy hit the Battle of Hastings around 400? It's unclear. Anyway, if that's not your thing, then it probably won't be your thing.

Also, if you're looking for interviews, Dan Snow's History Hit and History Extra are both good--usually interviews with academics about an upcoming anniversary of a historical event or who have a book coming out on a certain subject. They're both UK-based so they're primarily European history focused.

Granular and dry is extremely my thing. The more that a podcaster resists making things "fun" the more I'm on board.

I've listened to The Fall of Rome too. I forgot that it's technically separate from Tides as I just rolled straight from one to the next.

I might have to get Audible at some point.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Fall of Civilizations podcast is 100% my jam and I'm swallowing it whole. The Greenland Vikings episode was fantastic.

I like the content of the British History podcast but so far I'm bouncing off the tone. Someone noted that it in some way improves after a few episodes: does this mean fewer lame jokes and fluffy editorial asides?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Arrhythmia posted:

I suspect Mike Duncan's regrets are more along the vein of "gyah, I should have spent more time on"

Especially on the English Civil Wars

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you're tempted to listen to Malcolm Gladwell download a podcast on a topic you know a lot about and then count how many times he says things that are wrong in the first 10 minutes and then delete it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BTW the Malcolm Gladwell episode I had that experience with was the one about satire, where he makes the claim that history's most (and only?) successful piece of satire is some dumbass British fish out of water class comedy from the 90s, like this show changed the world in a way that nothing else has. Like, never mind literally every other piece of loving historical satire. There are so many easy counter examples that I'm tripping over myself and sputtering mad just thinking about how to choose good and illustrative examples that meet his criteria but in a way better and clearer way. It's such a nonsensical claim that I can't even formulate a coherent response.

e. productive edit
I've worked through Fall of Civilizations - that one had a couple episodes where there were a few suspect claims, particularly the Aztec one. We got into discussing this in the MilHist thread, but he had this bit about Old World / New World historical/technological progress that made me raise an eyebrow, and then someone posted a paragraph from a book about the Comanche which makes me wonder if FoC plagiarized from it. Overall I've enjoyed the series but that left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm getting into When Diplomacy Fails now, beginning with the World War I special and I'm enjoying this too. This guy is quite good at letting the material be entertaining, and sometimes even funny, without having to shoehorn jokes in there.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 16, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sydin posted:

The problem with creating historical content about the native civilizations of the Americas is that there is incredibly sparse historical record to work from. Many of them didn't keep written records in the traditional sense (ie: quipus) or if they did the conquistadors systematically hunted them down and burned them because they considered them heretical. So you're primarily left with archeological findings, first hand accounts from the Europeans who invaded and destroyed the native empires, and a handful of interviews of native survivors by curious Europeans about what their life was like after it was mostly already destroyed. That's a really shaky and potentially unreliable base to start from, and there are only more gaps to fill in from there. I'm not saying any of this justifies the huge leaps in logic and sweeping generalizations historians tend to break out when talking about the Aztecs, Mayans, Inca, etc; I can see though how it would be really difficult to create a three hour podcast about the history of the Aztecs without doing so though.

Yeah but the claim was not load-bearing to his narrative in any way - was basically "Agriculture started in the Americas five thousand years later than in the Old World, so the Old World had a five thousand year head start on Civilization, and so the Americas were so far behind that they never had a chance." It was sandwiched between descriptions of the technical ingenuity and cultural complexity of the societies in question on one hand, and on descriptions of the massive depopulation from disease on the other.

Had that section simply been deleted from the podcast nothing would have been lost.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jordan7hm posted:

As a non-American I though they were pretty decent. We get a fair amount of American history in Canadian classrooms but outside the classroom you don’t really get any ARW stuff so the primer was good.

Same

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Haiti series is the one that I'd get someone to listen to if they only we're going to listen to one.

The Bolivar series is pretty great too though. Lots of great characters. I love the janeiros, or that but where they crossed the mountains.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The vibe I've been getting from Duncan on Nicholas II is that Nicky is sympathetic in that he was a doufus who seemed to genuinely love his family, but I don't feel that Duncan is trying to make him out to be anything better than an extremely incompetent and self-absorbed leader.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dapper_Swindler posted:

alot of people don't know his book about soldiers killing and stuff is mostly bullshit to some degree and i see it sorta quoted(mostly just the rifles not fired and the ww2 stuff) thrown around. also the weird "video games train ISIS and cartels and kids to shoot up schools". the dudes a really bad source and a bad person but most people just hear the one paragraph about the rifles and assume thats all there is.

the solution to all of our problems is to have MORE military parades oh and PTSD only exists because people fail properly to worship soldiers.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One of my many gripes with Grossman is that even if you accept his evidence and premises, his logic is batshit and monstrous.

"Human beings are really bad at killing and don't like to do it - here's some evidence for that"

ok, interesting - where are you going with this

"Let's break their brains so they become good at it because we have enemies"

:psypop:

Why are these enemies so good at killing, David?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PittTheElder posted:

Man, Kaldellis' podcast even has an episode on the Empire's depiction in video games with somebody from Paradox as a guest. This is a cross over I never expected and am very hyped for.

Not sure whether to start there or with the Rus' episode...

Is this the Kaldellis who has appeared a bunch of times on The History of Byzantium? If so, what's the name of his podcast?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaneError posted:

Byzantium & Friends.

:f5: yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaneError posted:

Speaking of the latter, a new episode on the Assyrians just dropped.

siccckkkkk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PerilPastry posted:

Can anyone recommend a good podcast on early European colonization of the Americas and native resistance? Something on the Latin American independence movements of the 19th century would be great too!

Mike Duncan's Revolutions has like a jillion episodes over three series on Spanish South America, Mexico, and Haiti.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Apparently Mike Duncan's stuff on Haiti is getting misrepresented somewhere?

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1423319770154340352

Does anyone know the fuller context for this?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Has anyone here ever bought Patreon or otherwise paid episodes of podcasts? How did that go? Is it a pain in the taint to add Patreon episodes to regular podcast software?

Specifically I'm thinking about buying the bonuses from History of Rome, History of Byzantium, History of English, and When Diplomacy Fails, because I'm pretty much caught up on all of my podcasts right now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok well all of that sounds easy and good. Thanks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

webmeister posted:

Holy poo poo this owns, please tell me someone is producing it for real

They were planning to go on tour to perform it but now they're not sure what the plan will be

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm binging his Bismarck series right now. He's my "I don't have new episodes of my other podcasts" series.

Is there anything out there that does a good job of early modern history? I have already listened to all of the Tides stuff.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

twerking on the railroad posted:

If you want to listen to the laziest stream of consciousness trash conversation you've ever heard in an airport bar, come listen to us at Totally Unscripted

Edit: Of loving course Totally Unscripted is already the name of a podcast.

Worse, it's an app developer podcast

Nothing worse than a podcast that's 2 hours of people "riffing" and laughing at their in-jokes to pad up a 30 minute talk on a topic that you find interesting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm reading Wyman's book right now. It's alright, but I like my history books a notch or two crunchier. It essentially reads like a bunch of episodes of his podcast. Duncan's book is on deck.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Wyman/status/1433520164780183588

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't really care if the books are good, I bought them so the dudes get money and enough sales to be allowed to write more books. I've gotten hundreds of hours of free content from them, least I can do is buy the books. I liked The Storm Before the Storm though.

That's pretty much why I bought them too. I also tweeted a picture of the books at them and it's my most-ever-liked tweet

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CharlestheHammer posted:

I didn’t say anything about liking or disliking the books. I’m asking what did you expect it to be. Duncan at least is a narrative historian and his book was that. I’m not sure what else it could be

I'll bite.

For it and Wyman's book (I haven't read the LaFayette book yet) I don't dislike the books, but my personal tastes prefer things being shifted at least one notch more towards analysing and discussing the evidence, whether that's in doing some primary source analysis or crunchy literature reviews. No matter what I'm reading/listening to, I get the most pleasure out of getting into the weeds (which is why I think Kaldelis's podcast is my favourite right now). The whole book doesn't have to be an academic monograph, but give me a paragraph or two of that type of discussion per chapter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know I come back fairly regularly with this one, but any recommendations for more humanities/history podcasts that are approximately as crunchy (or even crunchier) than Byzantium and Friends? That was a slam dunk for my tastes. I would listen to Anthony Kaldelis talk to other scholars about their work literally all day every day.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PerilPastry posted:

Give "The Napoleonicist" a listen if the Napoleonic era interests you. It happily dives into a bunch of scholarly discussions and doesn't shy away from the minutiae of things.

Thanks! Giving it a try

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My suspicion, based on absolutely nothing other than having paid attention to him for many years worth of his work, is that Duncan will do his next project for a while and then maybe bop back over to do another Revolution season in a year or two or three. The way he has structured his inquiry and organized his material makes that basically a seamless and effortless prospect.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

just listen to them all they're free and you're not doing anything better with your life also the English Civil War is amazing and I want him to go back and give it the 50 episode treatment it deserves

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Has anyone listened to Pax Brittania? What's it like? I heard an ad for it this week and it caught my attention.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've tried out Pax Brittanica and it's alright. It's granular, serious, and errs on the side of academic history rather than entertainment.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

webmeister posted:

Mike has said his biggest regret with Russia is not splitting it into two separate series: 1905 and 1917. At the moment he’s basically doing France 1789-1805, 1815, and 1830 as one entire narrative.

The hiatus basically split it into two series though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

History of Byzantium is fun but it gets bogged down sometimes. i feel like we've been hearing a lot of nothing about manoooeeeeeeeelllll for like a year now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GodFish posted:

I get the full length episodes on Google's podcast app, no problem

They remove older episodes from the feed after like 6 months or so and the archives are only available on wOnDeRy pLuS, you know that app that also does mid-episode reads about murdering children and dissolving their bodies in acid.