Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That's awesome, Good Eats was/is awesome.

Not sure Brown Cast is a great name, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah Hardcore History owns, the recent Mongol series was very informative.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I enjoyed Podcast History of Our World a lot, but it won't take you long to burn through it and I think he does about one a month. I didn't really get into Carlin's Rome stuff, but loved the Mongol series and the last two. I'd say give them a try if you were turned off to Rome, but it's understandable if you don't like his style.

Also I'll 2nd the recommendation for Footnoting History, really enjoy it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

You think that's crazy? I read this April 1865 book that was just about one stupid month.

(FYI it was a drat good book)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I haven't listened to the newest Hardcore History, but does it cover things like the Arab revolt and things like that? A while back I read Lawrence in Arabia and really enjoyed it (slightly fawning portrayal of TE Lawrence aside), and I'd like to hear him go in-depth on that aspect of WWI. As much as I've enjoyed the Blueprint for Armageddon series, at this point I'm waiting for Carlin to get back to one-offs about lesser known events like the Muenster Rebellion. As much as I love these sweeping series on WWI, The Mongols, and The Roman Republic, they're released over the span of a year or more and I like getting totally different topics covered every few months on the show.

Al-Jazeera TV channel is running a series called "World War One Through Arab Ayes" that focuses on the middle east. It's a 3 part series but I haven't watched the two parts that have recorded yet, waiting on the 3rd. It looks pretty good though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

GraPar posted:

Anyone else ever listen to You Must Remember This? Podcast about early Hollywood, occasionally moving into later 20th Century stuff. Really well done on every level, definitely a solid evening/night-time listen. You can pretty much start on any episode, although I remember this one about Montgomery Clift being super interesting.

Malaleb posted:

Sorry if this one has been mentioned already, but I just started listening to You Must Remember This. It's written and hosted by Karina Longsworth -- a journalist who has written a few books about the movie industry. She usually takes an individual figure from 20th century Hollywood and focusses on a key moment of their career. Her most recent episodes have dealt with the involvement or lack of involvement of John Wayne, Frank Sinatra, and Walt Disney in the war effort during WWII. It is well-researched and very entertaining. Someone who knows a lot more about Hollywood history might already know the stories she's telling, but most of it has been new to me.

Listened to a couple of these last night and really enjoyed them. It's funny to hear about iconic movies like Dumbo and Bambie being regarded as a quick cash in or failure at the time.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Is the 10 Presidents podcast finished? The only thing they have done in 8 months or so is the Grant episode and they treated it as an "extra". I'm pretty good at counting to 10 and I sure don't reach 10 when looking at the eps :confused:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I skip the live Dollop eps because they do seem to riff a bit too hard, but they can be extremely funny.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Where do you even go when you "outgrow" Carlin? I listen to a lot of history podcasts but there's not really anything like him. Inward Empire is really loving good but they make like 1.5 episodes a year.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

buglord posted:

ghosts of ofstront too depressing and too familiar,

here we go with Prophets of Doom!

Ah that's a lighthearted one, a fun time had by all!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ugh, I listened to the first episode of Martyrmade and really enjoyed it, seemed well done and he has a pleasant speaking style and is well written. So I went to find out more about Darryl Cooper and apparently he is a hardcore conservative at least and possible alt-right? Details seem slim, but has anyone finished off more of the series and did you find that impacting his judgement or bias?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

CountFosco posted:

I have some bad news for you friend. You have on a public forum declared your enjoyment of Martyrmade and are at risk of becoming exiled from the progressive movement. The good news though is that you seem repentant, and have declared your willingness to not expose yourself to dangerous radicals so you may just be safe.

poo poo! My DSA card hasn't arrived yet and now it may never if they find out :ohdear:

Really I just wanted to make sure it doesn't go off the rails, since I enjoyed it so far but it's also like 10 more hours.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah it's fantastic, I loved From Camelot to Abilene about the creation of the myth of "The Cowboy." Can't wait for the Vietnam war ep that he is working on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

euphronius posted:

The Russian revolution is the best podcasting I’ve ever heard

Going through it now since I had missed it, and it's very good. I'm an anarchist now.