Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Agreed about HH really shining when it does one off's. King of King's was good imo because it almost felt like a series of one-off episodes in the same time period.

I also think Dan's style just hasn't evolved very much over the years and is now being passed readily by some incredibly well produced podcasts. Compared to Revolutions or Fall of Civilizations it feels like its much less focused and has less of control of it's narrative. This may stem from the length though. Dan might actually benefit from doing a series of smaller 30 minute episodes where he has to focus on a single element of the topic for a little bit as opposed to re-referencing the same sources on MacArthur seven times in a 4 hour span.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

busalover posted:

I haven't listened to CS in a while, the only thing I remember was his "let's look at this from both sides" angle.

He does the same thing again and also scolds protesters for not realizing that we just need to talk to each other.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Honestly the whole series should have just been on the isolation of Japan, Admiral Perry forcing them to open, the Meiji Restoration and its aftermath. Plenty of material there for several hours of material. Its a super interesting series of events and I think I even suggested to Dan years ago that he do a show on this (among other topics). But going on and on about WW2 just isn't on for me.

IMO that would require Dan to use Japanese sources that haven't been published in English and require him to find a Japanese-English bilingual historian to consult or help him write the show, which doesn't seem to be his style. He could take a few lessons from RWN or Mike Duncan here, if you end up in a subject that you don't fully grasp, find someone to help.

All the Supernova series has made me really want is a Fall of Civilizations episode on the Opening of Japan. :(

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Dr. Lucien Sanchez posted:

Why is it so good? I mean, I agree completely, but what is the motivation to release a free podcast of this quality with this level of production value and no advertising? Amazing.

It does make about 10k a month off it's patreon so it has some money behind it

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I gotta say, the last ten minutes of Carlin's latest episode sure are something :stare:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Appoda posted:

Is the last Dan Carlin ep worth listening to, meltdown aside? I assume it covers the nuking/surrender of Japan, right?

Eh, its middling at best and he doesn't really cover the aftermath of the war at all or use anything even close to modern sources. In fact despite him going into painstaking detail about just how crazy manly the USMC is, he ends it with something along the lines of "And we dropped the bombs and the war ended. Thank you for listening folks. Also btw the holocaust? Some silver linings there tbh"

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Isn't Carlin a huge libertarian? It would explain a lot.

I wish the dude would go back to doing podcasts set during ancient times as that seems to be what he is good at. Though his Pacific War series was so bad and bloated I almost wonder if he's just lost "it".

I think he's just been severely outclassed by other podcasts at this point. He was good in the early days of podcasting, but now you've got podcasts that are in a higher league. He's like a really good minor league pitcher that is just out of his depth compared to the major league pitchers like Fall of Civilizations, Revolutions, etc.

It's like in boxing, when you have the older heavyweight going up against the newest champions. Sure he was good in his day, but the muscles don't quite work as well and the reflexes aren't a fast, he's still got a good right hook every once in a while but he's not winning in the long fight doing the same strategy he was as a young fighter.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I highly recommend the Audible audiobook for this one if you don't have time to read it. Fantastic narration and easy to follow listen.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Is Napolean the Great and Napolean: A life, as appears, the same book? Just different titles for different countries.

I believe so, the one I listened to was the unabridged audible version that clocks in at 32 hours long.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

E: Scope creep is one way to describe it, but really Carlin doesn't even cover his topics that in depth for the length.

Agreed. I sound like a broken record in this thread for saying this, but his lack of research ability mixed with his lack of willingness to get help with his weak spots is really glaring in episodes that require a foreign language. The war in the Pacific one was possibly the worst so far imo, using outright frauds or the post-war US curated narrative for the Japanese military history. This is particularly odd since any post ~1990's Pacific war analysis, even in English, specifically avoids these sources and normally goes to lengths to dispel these earlier self-aggrandizing myths created by the likes of Fujita, even a cursory reading should be enough to start realizing that the earlier "definitive histories" and movies from the 50's and 60's are deeply flawed.

He also frequently cites the utterly repugnant Dave Grossman's On Killing, which alone should warrant even a pseudo-professional historian to check what they are doing and would suggest his failures in research are similarly present in English-only topics.

I think his show would be better for having its length and depth, but to be both long and painfully poorly researched at times just propels it into "My uncle watches a history channel and monologues this at Thanksgiving" territory fast.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

buglord posted:

Casting out a broad (but still selective) net out.

I want something informational but not historical, political, or cynical. I have plenty of those already, I need something lighter hearted for sake of mental health. Topics can be about really anything - nuclear energy, nature, geology, bugs, rugs, mugs.

I’d prefer a podcast that sticks to an interest/topic rather than a survey of things. Ideally episode length runs beyond 30m too, so I don’t have to keep skipping intros on my phone every 10 minutes.

The Prancing Pony is a pretty upbeat and jovial podcast on Tolkien that is pretty good. It's just the two hosts talking about the entire Tolkien work collection and while sometimes they get a little cringe with the nerd humor they are generally good fun and for some reason always put me in a good mood.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Declaring that you're doing an episode on slavery despite everyone telling you not to, then saying that you won't use modern or controversial sources because they are either too political or too complicated is one hell of a start to an episode :stare:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Poilu: The World War I Notebooks of Corporal Louis Barthas is a fantastic book that has a recent new translation from French to English that I would highly recommend for personal memoirs/feelings from the French perspective, which is often oddly absent from the English speaking world that tends to relate the British, German, or Russian perspective and barely mention the French perspective.

Also A World Undone is just an incredibly broad scope WWI history that kind of touches on the same thing, but has a large focus on battles as well.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm gonna listen to it and report back, wish me luck.
edit: jesus christ Carlin.

I'm diving in too!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Just more on Fall of Civilizations actually --

One thing that came to mind as I was listening to the most recent one is that I think that I would prefer if they carved them up into 40 minute chunks with a bit more review and signposting in between and then slow-released them on the feed over a few weeks. Just a minor personal preference, but sometimes I find that because I can't listen to 3+ hours in a go that I sometimes lose the thread of things at times.

I found the most recent one significantly harder to follow than previous ones, I think it's because the lead in to the content is so long that when it actually starts on the primary topic it's easy to miss and then get lost.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Regardless of the length one should not listen to Foote's civil war history. Anyone who describes Jefferson Davis as "“an outgoing, friendly man; a great family man, loved his wife and children; an infinite store of compassion" is not a reliable source. He clarified his views on the south in later interviews, though, when he said: "What’s more, I would fight for the Confederacy today if the circumstances were similar.” and then just comes out swinging with this humdinger in a 1999 interview with Tony Horwitz:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Koramei posted:

Anyone know any good podcast about republican Rome other than History of Rome?
I finished Revolutions a few weeks back and decided to give History of Rome another listen (crazy it’s been 10 years); I know it gets better as it goes, but what I actually want to hear about in depth is the republican era and that’s the period he goes over at blazing speed and when he had noticeably way less experience.

His audiobook The Storm Before The Storm is basically this, and done extremely well.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

There were 0 assassins. His head just did that.

The -1 assassin theory is always an interesting, that it was the lack of an assassin when there was supposed to be one being there that provoked a spontaneous head explosion, which in turn lead people to believe there was at least one assassin, bringing the universe back into it's >=0 equilibrium since you can't have <0 entities in this current reality configuration.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Dan being utterly lost with any language outside of modern North American English and unaware of that foreign historians are quite helpful with their mother language is one of the most frustrating parts of DCHH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

imo Dan's early stuff does stand out because it was produced when the competition was very low quality. Dan had a decent voice and sense enough to have a producer which by that quality alone set him apart compared to Mike Duncan talking into his macbook at his kitchen table and we hear his wife moving around their apartment in the background, and the early History of Rome was still a notch above the others. Unfortunately though, Dan has stuck to his early formula and in several ways regressed while everyone else has gotten exponentially better.