Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Skeptoid should be right up my alley, but goddamn is Brian Dunning's voice pretty much the definition of smug. It makes the whole affair borderline-unlistenable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
To the Best of Our Knowledge is missing from the OP and well deserving of a mention based on the few episodes I've listened to thus far. I can't give it a good synopsis at this point, so I'll let Wikipedia do so:

Wikipedia posted:

TTBOOK produces two one-hour programs each week. Each hour has a theme, which is explored over the course of the hour primarily through interviews, although the show also airs commentaries, performance pieces and occasional reporter pieces. Topics vary widely, from contemporary politics, science and "big ideas," to pop culture themes like "Nerds" or "Apocalyptic Fiction."
TTBOOK produces at least one five-part series every year, which tends to be distributed more widely than the weekly broadcast. "East Meets West," a series on East/West cultural crossroads, included interviews with cellist Yo-Yo Ma, Muslim philosopher Tariq Ramadan, Muslim rapper Lupe Fiasco, Indian filmmaker Mira Nair, and Pakistani rock icon Salman Ahmad.[1] "Electrons to Enlightenment," a series on science and religion, included interviews with intellectual heavyweights E. O. Wilson, Richard Dawkins, Francis Collins and Karen Armstrong.[2]
TTBOOK won the 2004 Peabody Award for Programming.[3]

Official site

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

At the risk of interrupting the Hardcore History megathread, I think 99% Invisible is worth a mention. Roman Mars' podcast centers around design in its various implements. That might sound pretentious, but it really isn't. The latest episode about slot machines is as good a place to start as any, and the previous episode about how the shot clock changed basketball from a snoozefest to action-packed is interesting as well, even for someone like me who doesn't usually give a poo poo about sports. There are episodes that are more interesting than others, but I have yet to hear a bad one. The length is usually in the 10-15 minute range save for some of the very early episodes that clocked in well under 10 minutes.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I saw that (or a similar) article pop up in my RSS feeds this week and caught the name, but thought it was just a coincidence, since surely someone who was making all of that easy money wouldn't be trolling for donations to keep his hobby podcast rolling, would he? Kinda surprised it actually turned out to be the same Dunning, even if his voice, as noted earlier in the thread, always made me think of him as a smug douche.

Also, I know I mentioned it a short while ago, but To the Best of Our Knowledge is shaping up to be one of my favorite podcasts.