Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Maybe you should have some bits about the other MF systems? RB/RZ67, Bronica GS-1, Mamiya/Pentax/Contax 645, etc. Maybe we should all collaborate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Mamiya 645:

You chose the wrong (i.e. plastic) Mamiya.

IMG_0010 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

IMG_0012 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

KosherNostra posted:

Anyone care to post their EpsonScan settings? Trying to get the most of my v600

no unsharp mask, digital ICE only if it's color, set black/white points individually per photo to just past the edge of the histogram pattern, leave gamma the way it is

if it's color, set the RGB channel b/w points individually and sort it out in photoshop

supposedly, it's not optimal, but it works for me

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sunset, As Seen From The Road Leading Up Pine Mountain by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I am never developing Acros in HC-110 again for two reasons: the midtones were so flat that it was hell getting them remotely acceptable, and it's not grainy enough.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Genderfluid posted:

I'd rather have flat midtones. It's a lot easier to add than it is to remove contrast.

They were so flat as to be posterized. I had to darken the middle area of trees there to hide it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

I can only suggest that you make sure you're scanning to 16-bit, not 8-bit files, and... maybe agitate more? Anyway don't give up on a developer/film combination just because you liked the grain you got when you had a lab process a notably grain-free film for you :psyduck:

What sort of agitation/time did you do for these?

The Small Forest by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Reminder: the Pentax 67 75mm f/4.5 is magic. Here's a 100% crop of the lichen in the bottom left corner:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:toot:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My first color shots with my Pentax 67's 55mm f/4 lens, and first P67 shots of Portra 160 where I know what I'm doing. 55mm (~28mm on a 35mm camera) is the perfect focal length for me.

Welcome by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Office and AMC Eagle by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Ask For Our Free Cup Of Coffee by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Front Office Lounge by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Bikers Welcome Secure Parking by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

Those are nice shots, and the 55mm is a fantastic lens.
Nice to see you revisit a location, too.

But son, straighten those horizontals! Or I will come to your house ... and straighten them for you.
It's really just three clicks in LR or PS. (Click tool, Click Point #1, Click Point #2)

I've already straightened each of them; the parking lot has a slight slope to it. (Also I'm not revisiting, just processing my big folder of TIFFs from that trip :ssh:)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

wipe

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

What batteries do you folks use in your Pentax 67s? I bought one to replace my dead one, but it's mysteriously vanished. Should I be using lithium or silver oxide, or is alkaline fine?

I don't have a metering prism.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i just bought a big wood grip and strap lugs for my p67 but i looked on ebay and these are very tempting.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is 4.5x6 a decent format? There's a Semi Leotax near here for $55, I believe it's a Semi Leotax DL based on the picture. 16 exposures on a roll of 120 sounds neat but of course your negatives come out smaller. Interesting-looking camera:

(the pics in the ad are poo poo but this looks like the same thing)

I took this with FP4 on a Mamiya 645. It's not bad.

Corgg. by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Spedman posted:

Now I went and over cooked it with the Xtol

looks just
right to me

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

cool things about art school: checking this out for the weekend, for free

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

bobmarleysghost posted:

What happens if it happens that it "gets lost"?

i pay $1,800 to replace it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

The wood grip sucks rear end, use your left hand to hold underneath the lens and fire the shutter with your right.

the wood grip owns, especially if you get a custom right-hand grip on ebay to match it

i don't have a right-hand grip but what I do have is :ducksiren: STRAP LUGS :ducksiren:

one end of strap attached to the lower grip lug, one end attached to the upper right lug, for tactical street shooting

i need to get a WLF for it

edit: oh yeah I shot two rolls of portra 400 and 0.2 rolls of portra 160 with the Mamiya 7 and it's pretty nice except for the whole thing where you have to manually reset the light shield after changing the lens and the only indication you didn't is that the camera doesn't take a photo

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 20, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I have learned of something that I never knew existed and now want very badly: the Graflex Combat Graphic, a 6x7 rangefinder:

also came in a civilian version:

it takes 70mm perforated film (which is why the civilian version is called the Graphic 70)

winding is by spring motor drive, which will advance 9 frames in single shot mode before you have to wind it again. body is made of magnesium (but still weighs 5.5 lbs).

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 20, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

A camera store near me has what I think is a 5x7 Compact Graflex with a "Bausch & Lomb Zeiss Tessar Series 1a" lens fitted, for $200. Am I supposed to buy this.

Edit: if what I'm reading is correct, this is a pre-war camera. the war, in this case being the Great War.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 27, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the 1916 Graflex catalog is full of awesome poo poo, like the Stereo Auto Graflex, which presents a 3D image when viewed with the mirror:

The demo photo is apparently of someone dying

then there's the Naturalist's Graflex

and the Cirkut automatic panoramic cameras

and don't forget the color plate holder, for all your Autochrome needs

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think we may have seen one of these at the big photo sale yesterday. Whitezombi could confirm.

they also made Stereo Graphics, which weren't SLRs.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I developed my first film since 2013 last night, and my first 4x5s since ever. I think I'm hooked, though on the product, not the process (because holy poo poo this is a pain in the rear end). "Scanned" this one with my phone.

Of course, out of the ten sheets I had, I somehow managed to crease the best one getting it onto the mod54. What's the best way to flatten this out so I can scan it properly on a Flextight?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

HNasty posted:

I'm the giant cop.

Yeah, I didn't notice him until I looked at the photos. Somehow he managed to blend in despite being ten feet tall.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Turns out a contact printing frame flattens out negatives pretty well.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

rohan posted:

What are the problems you're having with the process?

I've found with Mod54s it's easiest to just load two sheets on each side and ignore the innermost slot. I'm pretty sure others here (what the gently caress, maybe?) have had issues with uneven development on the innermost sheets, too. Otherwise it's just a matter of practise, and I've heard getting a proper dark tent makes it easier but I'm way too cheap for that.

the entire process except for the actual "composing and shooting" part :v:

We have light-tight individual darkrooms at my school, so no worry about space, but still. I'm tempted to take MrBlandAverage's suggestion and get myself a proper Jobo tank instead of the school's equipment.

also the toyo 45aII is a bit of a pain to set up and take down. I'm now considering buying my own camera to minimize having to deal with checking out and returning the school's equipment.

semi-unrelated: should I buy this thing

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 6, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hrm.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I've gone and bought a thing.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what the gently caress posted:

I guess that's my answer. Portability/weight is not something I'm particularly fussed about at this stage. More durability and stability. Sort of getting ping-ponged around looking for good affordable-ish tripod solutions for about 10-11 (22lbs) kg worth of camera.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what the gently caress posted:

I did see one of these for sale in an antiques shop near here. But I don't want it for studio use. Outdoors.

Did I say it was for studio use?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

vxsarin posted:

The GSW690iii is pretty fun. Only problem is that it just has a T mode and not B, so doing long exposures is going to be a pain in the rear end...

Converge by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

cable release

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

first finished LF photo :toot: (note the front standard sagging tilt-wise, this was the first time I'd used the camera)

Untitled by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

edit: second finished LF photo :toot:

Untitled (Cop) by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 17, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my super angulon 90mm f/8 got here

turns out the "#0 synchro compur (very small)" that it was described as being in is actually a #00 synchro compur that's worth $60 more than what I paid for the whole shebang :toot:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

apparently there are no #00 lensboards with the Wista coat of arms on them :argh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Putrid Grin posted:

Usually not a big fan of double exposure gimmickry, but this is really neat!

you'd hate henry peach robinson

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

McMadCow posted:

I thought Robinson stitched his negatives in the printing phase?

Similar concept, if you regard it as "gimmickry"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Finally got every element of my LF setup together and assembled. If I mount it reversed, the purple Wista folds up perfectly with the Super Angulon installed. :getin:

Shellman posted:

So bag bellows. I'm shooting on a wista 45n and I'm having a hell of a time finding any specific bag bellows for it (aside from $600 ones brand new on bh) or information on whether it's even a proprietary thing.

Are bag bellows something that is roughly interchangeable or no? Is there a brand I should be looking at that would work with my wista?

I have a wista 45D and would like a bag bellows to deal with my 90mm lens. It looks like a fight to the death is in order should one come up on ebay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

things to ignore: how bad my white balance is

things to pay attention to: how fuckin' baller this camera is

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 11, 2016

• Locked thread