Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

nielsm posted:

This seems really strange. The lamps are lit, suggesting the sun is setting or rising. The very dark shadow areas suggest the same thing. Meanwhile the buildings in the background are brightly lit, suggesting it's high day. If this is really what you saw, then fine, but I don't think it's at all an interesting picture then. If it was actually getting dark then your processing doesn't indicate it.

It just looks like twilight to me. Nothing about it suggests high day at all to my eyes. I do, however, very much like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So I recently decided to start shooting film again and really enjoying the experience so I've decided to make the leap up into medium format.

After looking through all of the different options available to me, I'm leaning towards a Mamiya TLR - something like the C330 or similar. Anyone have any experience with these and can offer any feedback or advice? My main prerequisites are reliability, format (6x6) and to a lesser extent price - I'd rather not go overboard on my first MF purchase.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Your request is pretty broad, what will it be used for?.

Fair point - at this stage it'll primarily be urban and suburban landscapes, potentially some portraiture.

I was drawn to the TLRs for a few reasons - price, waistlevel finders and format. The Mamiya's interchangeable lenses seemed like a bonus, giving it flexibility to change up my shooting in the future, as well as adding bonus points to the reliability column - if the shutter breaks down I could just get a new lens rather than dealing with a whole camera.

However, I genuinely have no idea other than a little bit of internet research so I'm definitely open to all suggestions.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So I got a Mamiya TLR for my birthday, which is pretty great.

It took half of a test roll to realise that the shutter wasn't doing anything. Managed to fix that but the rest of the test roll will probably be blurry shots of me peering quizzically down the lens.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Got my first roll back from my C330 the other day. Pretty happy with this whole medium format thing.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Really need to sort out a dust removal solution... Spent about two hours just cloning out little specks and I'm pretty sure I didn't get everything.

Basement Parking by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Spedman posted:

With the trusty GW690ii

Very thoroughly enjoyed these.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Cross post from the landscape thread...

Sutherland Station by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Sludge Tank posted:

Ah, just looked up his name and saw a whole heap of HDR. I Mustn't have seen the best examples.

I feel like I'm circling this "tier" of ability or something like I can't quite "go up" or get better. Like 2 steps forward, 1.5 steps back but it's been going on for so long now. I know you guys kind of rip on me a bit because i'm so loving clumsy but This feeling of stagnant mediocrity I keep keep getting from my photos is just getting to me. Don't want to give up but I feel like i'll never please myself or take photo's i'm ever truly happy with. Just venting my frustrations pls ignore. :emo:

gently caress my whole life is a constant repetition of "hey, wow, I think I just got better at something" quickly followed by "oh wait, I still suck horribly." I think most people who actually strive for more out of anything will look at their work and struggle to see past the flaws. It's good. It's cripplingly bad for the self esteem, but it's good.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hmmm, you can get a C330 with the 80mm f/2.8 for around that on the 'Bay too...

Yeah, this is the way to go. I'm pretty sure it'd serve competently as a weapon if need be, also. Feels like a brick.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Thoogsby posted:

My friend to moving to LA and is offering his Hasselblad 500 to me for next to nothing. I've never shot a roll of film in my life, how hosed am I going to be from a technical standpoint if MF is my entry point into film?

Not really hosed, just take your time and make sure you understand exposure.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Documenting a pretty normal day at the carnival, then.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is totally loving rad, from a fellow Mamiya C330 afficianado.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

alkanphel posted:

If you're referring to "keepers", then maybe about 50% per roll on average.

I wish I could manage a strike rate that high... I'm happy when I snag two keepers on a roll.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

Stop pressing the shutter for bad photos.

Sage advice.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is so rad.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Ball heads ain't so bad.

Until this week I've been shooting without a tripod head at all (old one broke and who has money to replace these trifles?) Oh, you want to adjust the angle? Guess I'll just need to adjust all of the tripod legs. Not quite right? Let's adjust them all again.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is sick.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can actually view stereographs without a viewer. Cross your eyes slightly and you'll see a double image of each side of the stereograph. Align the middle two images, then defocus your eye onto the virtual image that you've created.

Try (eg): https://www.flickr.com/photos/7726011@N07/10498935563/in/photostream/

Whoa... like Magic Eye but so much better.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I love my Mamiya C330 but I'm starting to feel restricted by the square format. What's the best option at 6x7? The Pentax looks pretty hot but is there anything I should know about before dropping cash on a new camera?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

JSW2 posted:

Are interchangeable lenses a necessity? If not, the Fuji GF670 is beautiful; compact; and in my own experience, very reliable. The viewfinder is accurate, though sometimes I wish it had a longer rangefinder base length. If you must have interchangeable lenses, perhaps a Mamiya 7?

I guess I should have added... Price is a consideration. I'd love a Mamiya 7 but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Awesome text

Thanks bro, that pretty much covers everything! That GX680 looks rad - the idea of carrying around such a monster sounds very rad (in theory.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is right up my alley. Love it.

Edit: although maybe dial back the blue a bit.

• Locked thread