Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
MF and LF: we spend too much time loading film holders and scanning 2gb TIFF images, we can't be bothered with capitalization!

Just kidding, this thread is great and you're great DR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

atomicthumbs posted:

Maybe you should have some bits about the other MF systems? RB/RZ67, Bronica GS-1, Mamiya/Pentax/Contax 645, etc. Maybe we should all collaborate!

Having owned a Hassleblad 500cm, a Mamiya RB67, a Pentax 6x7, a Mamiya 645, a Bronica SQ-Ai, and a Bronica ETRS, I feel like I should write that post. I probably will when I'm home after dinner. I'll be drunk probably.

(Oh god I have a camera buying problem)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
:snoop::snoop:SO WHAT'S ALL THIS MEDIUM FORMAT THEN??:snoop::snoop:
Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the best film format ever created.

So you were walking through Hot Topic, or Gadzooks, or wherever it is the kids buy their hipster stuff nowadays, and you saw a "Holga" camera and thought it looked pretty neat. "Hey," you might have thought, "those pictures look just like my instagram pictures! That seems like an awful lot of work."

Yes, it is! But your medium format photos are not limited to looking like lovely plastic-lens ripoffs of Instagram shittiness!

:siren::siren: WOW!! GREAT CAPTURE!! A++ :siren::siren:

"Great," you decide, "I'm going to start taking medium format pictures and boost my photography career into the realm of Ansel Adams and Diane Arbus!! I'll head to the store right now and buy a Holga!"

Wait a minute there, cowboy! Let's take a minute to weigh our options. Do you want to shoot 645? 6x6? 6x7? 6x9? 6x12?! Let's take a look at the offerings:

Pros: Smaller cameras, getting 15 shots per roll, pretty cheap to get into.
Cons: Smaller exposures (6cm x 4.5cm), you look like a loser next to the Hasselkrew and the muscle-bound RB67ers.

645 is a really interesting format. The shape is closer to 35mm, so you've got a really familiar sense of framing if you're coming from 35mm/digital. It's what I cut my teeth on in the medium format world, so I have some sentimentality about it. But really, why not just shoot 6x6/6x7 and crop down to 645 if you want? Again, though, the cheapest MF SLR cameras are 645.

Mamiya 645:

Pentax 645:

Bronica ETRS:

Contax 645:

Fuji GS645:

All of these are great options. The Fuji is a fixed-lens rangefinder, meaning you can't change the lens, but is a great camera. The ETRS has that BALLER grip release, as does the Pentax 645. The Pentax 645N even imprints your EXIF data onto the negative! Wow!

6x6
Pros: God's true chosen format, amazing, wonderful, great, unique, special, loved

Objectively the coolest film format there is. You can crop if you want and still get awesome results, and you have some of the best camera systems money can buy. Also the cheapest! Also... the most expensive. Let's take a look at a few.

Bronica SQ series (SQ-Ai shown):

Hasselblad V-series (500c shown):

Mamiya 6:

TLRs (Rolleiflex & Mamiya C330 shown):

There are countless more examples, but this is just a few. You can get into non-plastic-camera 6x6 for as little as $100 (Yashica or Mamiya TLR) or as much as $1000+ (Hasselblad represent!). Also, Hasselblads were used on the moon. Can any other camera company say that? The Mamiya 6 is like the Fuji GS645 in that it's a fixed-lens rangefinder, but it's still pretty neat.

6x7
Pros: You will get huge biceps and a very strong core
Cons: You will be sore the next day after a field shoot

Okay, so not every 6x7 camera is XBOXHUGE, but it gets the reputation thanks to the Mamiya RB67. Seriously, I owned one and it was the size of a damned toaster oven, and twice as heavy. But it made gorgeous pictures and mechanically it was a dream to operate. I do miss it sometimes.

Bronica GS-1:

Mamiya 7:

Star Destroyer Mamiya RB67:

Pentax 6x7 plus the best camera grip that exists:

Other Stuff

Fuji makes the GW690, which is a 6x9 rangefinder, previously repped in this thread:

The Mamiya Universal Press - you can use 4x5, 120, polaroid, whatever you want on this thing, it's fuckin' weird:

So go forth, young camera user! Go forth and shoot beautiful photos! Check eBay and KEH.com and Adorama.com for good deals on any of these cameras and you'll be happy.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 8, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
How's that?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

8th-samurai posted:

What kind of monster desaturates a photo and leaves in the the 400VC border? MY IMMERSION!

Edit: Also the camera in the V series photo doesn't have mirror lock up so it has to be a 500c not a 500c/m.

None of those photos are mine :colbert:

Fixed the 500c thing, thanks for the heads up there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I would loooooove to do wet plates, where do you buy the uh... plates? And chemicals?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The stock focusing screen sucks butts. I got a bright screen with split prism on KEH and would never ever go back to the original.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is it weird that I like to explore peoples' houses that I don't even know and take pictures? Not like breaking and entering, just like... meet them for the first time and take my 500cm and go exploring. Is that wrong?

Spinning by iantuten, on Flickr

Unskewed by iantuten, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Genderfluid posted:

i would like these more without dust spots

Eh, I'll get around to that eventually.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wait you... you used paper as a negative, and then enlarged it ONTO paper? Did you actually enlarge, or could you theoretically shoot a paper negative and then make a contact print onto another paper?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Santa is strapped posted:

I need to shoot some Ektar.

Ehhhhh...... I've never personally said those words.

But then again I irrationally hate Ektar.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Genderfluid posted:

Ektar isn't for everything but it's a wonderful film

That's fair. For nature shots it's pretty cool, but it's way too saturated and unforgiving for a general-purpose film.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Crop out that edge :mad:

You shot large format inside (what looks like) a Chinese restaurant? That's awesome.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Bros,
As much as I have enjoyed belonging in this thread, I'm selling my Hasselblad 500cm setup. It's in the buy/sell thread and will instantly make you a better photographer!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Santa is strapped posted:

Tha is qpzil and the photo he is editing is one of mine.

Huh what that ain't me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Oh no Mannequin your Coke bottle is about to fall over :ohdear:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm so proud :')

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

TomR posted:

It's not too bad. I made the above photo from 36 exposures, so something like 1 or 2 minutes. It takes longer to frame and focus the shot. Also there is computer time for the stitching. I messed with it for about half an hour, but it doesn't have to take that long.

I have a board + LF lens sitting around at my house, I need to pick up a macro rail and make use of it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'd be curious to hear how you frankensteined the front standard and the macro rails together actually. I'll have to keep my eye out for a cheap view camera.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

8th-samurai posted:

In 5 or 10 years someone remind me to buy a few V series parts cameras.

K, I set a reminder in my phone for 8:50am 5/6/2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And a slight magenta cast

• Locked thread