Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
150mm is equivalent to a 50mm on 35mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Soviet gear is so hit and miss quality wise it's really hard to recommend it to someone as their only camera. I can recommend Yashicas as a solid middle of the road camera for not much money, my first 120 camera was a Yashica 635.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
:sweden: The Hasselkrew is severely underrepresented in this thread. Here is an effort post in case any of you scrubs don't know how to load an A12 back.

Start with a nice smooth working surface (completely optional unless you are taking photos of the process).

Grab a roll of your favorite film (:snoop: Tri-X :snoop:).

Remove the film insert from the shell of the back

Make sure to rotate the release catch to retract the presure plate

Hold on to the paper leader

Insert the roll with the backing paper's outer side facing the rollers on the film carrier

Slide the paper underneath the highly technical metal bit that does something important for film flatness (maybe).

Slide the paper into the empty spool and turn the knob until the arrow on the film lines up with the highly technical red triangle on the insert.

Now crank that sucker like it owes you money. The A12 (or 24, don't use an A16 those are scrub tier) is so named because it will automatically stop at frame one.

I did find out the hard way that crank will only stop on frame one. So if you are on frame 6 and jostle it taking the camera out of your bag, whelp. Gaffer tape fixes this and serves as a reminder that you remembered to actually load your camera.

my lens was made in west germany snype

EDIT: fixed spelling errors

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 8, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

QPZIL posted:

How's that?

What kind of monster desaturates a photo and leaves in the the 400VC border? MY IMMERSION!

Edit: Also the camera in the V series photo doesn't have mirror lock up so it has to be a 500c not a 500c/m.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 8, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I'm glad that it isn't your photo. Everytime I look at it I see something else that infuriates me. Dutch angle, B&W with C41 border, fork for no reason, gooniest hat this side of fedoraville, fork for no reason, fleece? I bet that man is also wearing jorts (the photographer too probably).

I mean, it's a good example photo. "Start shooting medium format or some fuckwit will use all the film to make things like this."-->

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

moonduck posted:

My 500c has mirror lock-up.

Some 500c cameras have mirror lock up, especially later ones. All 500c/m have lock up though so that not having it makes it a c model.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

Just did a TinType workshop today (that is me above), have to say I'm going to put the Chamonix on hold and get into wet plate for while. Its so much fun, I couldn't recommend it enough. This was shot with my Speed Graphic using the monster f/2.9 lens, all the extra light and shallow depth of field really and the lack of coatings makes this lens really work for tin type.

That photo owns.I'm just gonna leave this here, http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/wetplateholders.html

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I look forward to seeing the results. I want to get into tintypes some time in the next year or two.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Captain Postal posted:

I don't know why anyone would choose a 500 over a 200.

Leaf shutters own, that's why. :colbert:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Krispy Kareem posted:

The 635 has got to be the most pointless camera ever. I was so excited when I bought mine because, hey I can shoot both 35mm and 120. Except it's a TLR so you really can only shoot 35mm in portrait mode - drastically limiting it's functionality.

I didn't even have the 35mm adapter. It was just a decent little 120 camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

pootiebigwang posted:

You can also ship it to http://www.david-odess.com/repair.html and he will repair your back for 90 dollars, though I have never had to go through him myself.

Speaking of Hasselblad, focusing is very slow for me. While I love the grid markings on my screen, I hate how dim it is. I find myself stopping down to 2.8 every time I focus just to brighten my screen up. How big of a difference does an acute matte screen make? KEH has one for $99 and I am wondering how worth it it is. This version appears to only have the central cross hair markings which seems kind of iffy, especially after having the helpful grid markings.

It's supposed to focus at f/2.8 all the time. Did you hit the DOF preview button and then not reset it?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

Thanks! I was looking for a monorail with a portrait lens. I put an offer on a field camera, though, because it has movements. I don't need crazy amounts of movement, but I wanted to be able to scheimpflug eyes if I'm shooting close in.

Monorail will get you more movements than a field camera but the gemneral consensus from people on LFF is tha you don't need lots of movements for portaits. I think either will work for you. I am looking to pick up one of those 150mm tessars for portraits myself.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

184mm seems like a really odd focal length. Is this camera old enough that non-metric units were used when it was originally designed? A quick calculation suggests 7 1/4 inches = 184mm.

Kodak's 203mm Ektar would like a a word with you.:radcat:

Lensmakers basically used to label stuff how ever they wanted and some of them were a bit more exact than others.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I bet it's the holder leaking.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Welp, I bit the bullet and got a new back for my (school's) Sinar F. Gonna shoot like 22 frames this weekend, my back already hates me. I will be bringing my Pentax 6x7 + 3 lenses, a 5DMK2 with two lenses, and the Sinar F with 3 lenses.

May god have mercy on my soul.

Uh why? Unless you mean in a bag in the trunk of the car. I used to carry two medium format systems around and gently caress bothering with a DSLR if you are hauling film gear.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Arista EDU ultra is cheap and has nice tonality, I use the 200 in 4x5. It can get a little grainy in smaller formats and has the worst reciprocity failure you could possibly imagine. Other good options are Acros 100 for slower stuff, and HP5+ or Tri-X 400 for high speed work.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Welp, pulled test roll out of the tank, and something's not right with the Pentax 6x7 I bought :sigh:

A couple shots came out fine, a few have what appear to be the rear shutter curtain across half of it, others are blank. It's an old body (6x7, non MLU), wonder if it's worth it to get it repaired. Guess I need to try and find someplace in Japan and get a quote, given how the yen's weakened it probably doesn't make sense to send it back to America for repairs.

It will most likely be cheaper to just replace it if any sort of electronics are involved. I don't think 67 parts will work in older 6x7s.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

QPZIL posted:

Wait you... you used paper as a negative, and then enlarged it ONTO paper? Did you actually enlarge, or could you theoretically shoot a paper negative and then make a contact print onto another paper?

I read an article years ago in Black & White Photography (a wonderful UK photo magazine BTW). It was about how you could make a paper negative and then use a lightbox and a pencil to dodge it by shading on the back of the paper as a way to make a contact print but have more control over the final image.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

GWBBQ posted:

Is this a good deal if it actually works? http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/pho/3647418207.html

It's not a great deal, but tessar rolleis are great apart from the dark focusing screen.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

$200 is a great deal for a Rolleiflex. At least where I'm from. It might be a little pricey for a Rolleicord.

User tessar Rolleiflexs seem to go for between $200 and $300 on ebay, the later planar and xenotar models are much more desirable and expensive. I have a post war Automat myself and apart from a giant scratch in the taking lens and the dark finder, it's a lovely camera. I only payed like $100 or $150 for mine because the previous owner had savaged it with an ill fitting leather replacement kit and spray paint.

DSC_2823 by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

If you have $200 and don't already own a TLR you should buy a Rollei.

20100909-002 by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I went to his workshop figuring I would get to network with some local photographers and learn a bit. Turned out most of the people that showed up were from out of town and not that interesting to talk to because they were actually sort of bad photo takers. The group critique was... interesting. Lou Bedlam is a pretty cool guy though, chatted with him a bit. I wouldn't do another one of his workshops but would totally buy the guy a beer if he was ever in town again

I used to get similar noise from my v600, I think it's just a limitation of the cheaper scanners.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
It was basically people trying to say nice things about photos taken by mediocre flickr photographers. So a bit awkward. get a v700 you won't regret it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

hcenvirons posted:

Yeah, I was pretty amazed by its size. This isn't my only camera so I'll end up using this for more planned outings since I already have a 35mm film camera and a t3i with a decent amount of lenses. Thanks for the tips, though! I'm looking forward to forcing myself into a much more methodical and type of photography.

I downloaded beecam on the Play Store to use for a light meter. Are there any light meter apps anyone would recommend? Or are they just totally inferior to an actual meter.

I use this lightmeter app https://play.google.com/store/apps/...G9tZXRyb05hIl0. It is the most accurate one I have found so far and reflected mode will use the rear camera which rules.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Dear people who want an incident meter, buy a Gossen Digisix.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

Can anyone comment on the performance of Radionar lenses? I know they aren't particularly sharp, but I was looking at picking up a Rolfix someone local is advertising for pretty cheap. I'm mostly curious if it'll have any use at anything wider than f/8.

Looks like the radionar is a triplet design which would make it a bit soft at wide open but fine stopped down past f/11ish. This is not bad news because using a zone focusing folder is painful at best at larger apertures.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I used gaffer tape to pad the edge of the VF on my Pentax 67 and haven't had any glasses gouging. BTW anyone that likes that photo should go to the classified thread and buy my P67. I need 4x5 film and beer money :argh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
This would be better if it wasn't all crooked (or if it had an interesting subject/composition).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Seriously, anyone considering LF should buy a Chamonix and be done with it. It is unironically the best camera I have ever used.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I meant people that didn't already own an actual LF camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

Hm, to be that's a bit akin to starting MF with a Hasselblad. Sure it's a drat fine camera and very workable, but for people who aren't even sure that they're gonna stick with it that's one hell of an investment. Add to that that an LF camera is probably even harder to unload than a MF outfit... and yeah.

I do; however, after some research, agree that maybe a speed graphic or something similar may be a better point of entry.

Well sure, if you want to buy a scrub camera as your first LF camera.:smuggo:

Seriouspost: I recommend the Chamonix so often because frankly it's a brilliant camera and would be dead simple to get rid of if you no longer wanted it. You might have to sit on a Speed Graphic a while before someone buys it but list a Chamonix (or any other desirable modern 4x5) kit on LFF or ebay and you can pretty much guarantee to sell it. This is not to say that a Speed or cheap monorail camera is a bad choice but if you are certain you will like 4x5 (and after a few sheets of Portra 400 you will be) might as well get a kit you are more willing to use and carry. Basically the same reasons I do recommend Hasselblads to people buying medium format cameras.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Truth. I just sold my Pentax 67 kit and only took a loss because I would rather have cash in hand than deal with ebay and shipping. I look at it as spending about $100 to rent the camera for the year I had it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

My new home made 8x10 sliding box camera. Built out of 12mm thick plywood and all cut with a handsaw. The lens is a big C-Claron Schneider lens I picked up at a photography swap meet, and the wet plate holder is from Chamonix. The lens being the whole reason I built the camera, it'd break any other camera I have that I would mount it on. I’ve just got to finish it off with a elasticated back made from MDF, and I’ll need to find some frosted glass/acrylic. But in the meantime I'll just some baking paper as the focusing screen. Oh, and I built it in portrait orientation, I found I shoot nearly 80% that way:

Compared to the Dorkroom unit of measure the ME Super on top:

I'll shoot some paper with it next weekend once I get it finished off, and once I get a big dipper tank built I'll do some 8x10 tintypes.

Rad as gently caress, also just make some legit ground glass. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/78392-making-ground-glass-focus-screen.html

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
If it is a C Claron it might not cover 8x10 at distance you could try it stopped down to see.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Fragrag posted:

Can you please explain the movements of your lens and what you hoped to achieve with it? I still don't understand how to apply Scheimpflug in practice.

Don't apply it to XKCD Larper IRL unless you like getting your balls crushed. That is tip #1.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Well, if we are actually gonna be helpful then this page is great. http://www.toyoview.com/LargeFrmtTech/lgformat.html Digging up a copy of Ansel Adams "The Camera" might also be benificial.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Speed Graphics are cool, but they are heavy and not as full featured as more expensive 4x5 cameras. That Polaroid back is a #545 and useless since it's for film you can't get anymore. The two wooden holders are junk and the "rare" bag magazine is cheap on ebay. Still $100 is an okay price for the camera and lens, but you could probably get one with a rangefinder for a little more. I doubt you would lose money though if you bought it, there always seems to be people looking for cheap Speeds for projects.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
If that's a Graflex back gently caress that poo poo.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

I have an MPP field camera and it has all the movements. It's actually pretty great, I can't think of any situation where I'd want a monorail camera over it for my work.

Speed Graphics are press cameras with less range of movement than a field camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
My bad I thought the MPP was a flatbed field camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

It has already been answered several times over, but let me fill in some details.

The reason for the swirly bokeh is a lens aberration called coma. Coma causes point lights, especially in the corners of the frame to take on a "comet trail" shape. This trail follows the convex/concave flow of the lens glass. (Wikipedia here.)

I'm assuming your Yashica's lens is a Tessar (4 elements in 3 groups) design, which is relatively well corrected for coma, but can be still visible at wider apertures. Usually when shooting night shots you shoot f/8-f/11 anyway so that's why you usually don't see the "comet trails" there. (Unless you are a horrible sperg or K-rock)

If you want even swirlier bokeh, go for a Cooke triplet or a derivative thereof. It has less degrees of freedom (air to glass surfaces) and is thus less corrected for color and coma.

I believe the Yashica D has a Yashikor which is a triplet design.

• Locked thread