Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I just really hope they make a great game that keeps a strong multiplayer community. I miss playing AoW with the Heavengames people. Some of the most fun you can have in a strategy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Poison Cloud was always amazing for area denial and confusing the AI. :smug: You can keep the rest of the worldly death spells 'tho, i have black dragons to summon and command.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Personally I love broken spells. That is, stuff that would cause the current modern day multiplayer centric playerbase to scream 'OP OP OP IMBA' wildly at the top of their lungs.

What's the fun of a single player tbs where you play a godlike wizard if you can't reshape the world and make your enemies explode into little pieces in a dozen different awesome ways? :colbert:

The stuff I don't like is boring small effects that have a minimal statistical impact on combat (oh boy, I'm 5-10% more accurate).

That doesn't mean everything needs to be Orgy of Volcanos, but it's nice when even low level/cheap/fast casting spells have a noticable tactical or strategic impact and remain useful throughout a game, rather than simply being lesser, weaker effects that are obsoleted quickly.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

victrix posted:

Personally I love broken spells. That is, stuff that would cause the current modern day multiplayer centric playerbase to scream 'OP OP OP IMBA' wildly at the top of their lungs.

What's the fun of a single player tbs where you play a godlike wizard if you can't reshape the world and make your enemies explode into little pieces in a dozen different awesome ways? :colbert:

The stuff I don't like is boring small effects that have a minimal statistical impact on combat (oh boy, I'm 5-10% more accurate).

That doesn't mean everything needs to be Orgy of Volcanos, but it's nice when even low level/cheap/fast casting spells have a noticable tactical or strategic impact and remain useful throughout a game, rather than simply being lesser, weaker effects that are obsoleted quickly.

Chain lightning in AoW 1 was the most ridiculous spell. And flood was probably the biggest game changer. Playing lizardman and flooding the map was just so fun.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Is it lame to say the controlling effects, like Seduce/Enslave/Control Animal, etc? Always lovely to get X powerful/Semi-powerful creatures permanently. I guess that counts under 'Broken Spells' mentioned above. I wonder how possible it will be to pull that kind of thing off early and often? I remember the Elves and the Azracs earned those control effects real early.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Oh man, I just remembered nymphs. What a hilarious a unit. Everything from the slap attack to the big heart that pops up from seduce. It was also neat that certain races like orcs and goblins had lower magic resists so they were easier to seduce than an elf. The slight differences between the units for each race really helped differentiate them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodly posted:

Is it lame to say the controlling effects, like Seduce/Enslave/Control Animal, etc? Always lovely to get X powerful/Semi-powerful creatures permanently. I guess that counts under 'Broken Spells' mentioned above. I wonder how possible it will be to pull that kind of thing off early and often? I remember the Elves and the Azracs earned those control effects real early.
I loved stealing Heroes. Especially Heroes with Stuff. Nothing like jumping a pile of guys outside a dungeon and running away with the newly decked-out hero. Eyeball in a jar was the best item :allears:

bamhand posted:

Oh man, I just remembered nymphs. What a hilarious a unit. Everything from the slap attack to the big heart that pops up from seduce. It was also neat that certain races like orcs and goblins had lower magic resists so they were easier to seduce than an elf. The slight differences between the units for each race really helped differentiate them.
:byodame:MmmmMMmmmmWAH!
Lady of Pain (aka Nymph with jaundice and a whip) always cracked me up.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
When AoW III was announced I went back and played the cult of storms campaign in the original. I went full air magic and was reminded how good it was. Chain lightning was basically the best battle spell, just for its chance to stun units. Air also had the best beast summon, there were a couple late game levels where I defeated one of the factions by turn 7 by summoning an eagle, flying it over and taking an undefended/weakly defended town and when the enemy leader came to recapture it, town-gating an attack party over.

Of course by the end I had given my super-kill-guy melee hero vision III and 50 movement points then casted haste and wind walking on him :getin:

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
In Shadow Magic every game I've started as undead I get steamrolled pretty early, are undead hard or do I suck? I've finished loads of games as just about everyone else.

I will buy the poo poo out of this, just keep doom zeppelins. :black101:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Very important question: Will hell hounds be making a return as a summon?

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
http://www.shacknews.com/article/78518/age-of-wonders-3-preview

quote:

All of the traditional races are back: Humans, Dwarves, High Elves, Orcs, Draconians and Goblins, with others races possible through post-release content.
Which one of you was rooting for the draconians?

Now excuse me while i mourn my frostlings.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Very important question: Will hell hounds be making a return as a summon?

I think so, yes.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Will there be descriptions for units like there was in AoW1 and Shadow Magic?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

shelper posted:

Which one of you was rooting for the draconians?

Splicer posted:

Dragor omnia regit
So Undead: I see an undead Dragon in the preview there. Since they're not a race, is there going to be a Necromancer themed build or are Undead purely NPC at the moment? I needs me my Zombies.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Dragons :3:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

Will there be descriptions for units like there was in AoW1 and Shadow Magic?

Yes!

Splicer posted:

So Undead: I see an undead Dragon in the preview there. Since they're not a race, is there going to be a Necromancer themed build or are Undead purely NPC at the moment? I needs me my Zombies.

There are definitely undead units in the game, but I'm not allowed to saying anything else about that I'm afraid.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

:neckbeard: Yaaaay!

Im looking forward to seeing how the races fall down on the two sides, hoping for something abit more oddball then humans, dwarves and elves being the Court and the rest being the empire. :3:

Good to know the flavour text will be in again.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yessss. The flavor text for the units was the best thing. They were great reads while waiting for the AI to finish its turn. I love how even the same units between each race had a different blurb about them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm also curious who it is the theocrats worship. Will there be a return of the four shrine spirits from Shadow Magic, or will it just be a vague abstract religion?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I always like fictional religions that center around philosophies rather than actual gods. The Light in Warcraft is one example, and it would be quite cool for the theocracies in AoW III to actually just be a new kind of magic with no actual god, or at least just fake gods.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Fictional religions that center on philosophies are believable enough as religions, but philosophical systems aren't sources of divine supernatural power. It turns the theocrat into just a dumb sort of wizard who doesn't understand that he's actually just a wizard.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Mzbundifund posted:

Fictional religions that center on philosophies are believable enough as religions, but philosophical systems aren't sources of divine supernatural power. It turns the theocrat into just a dumb sort of wizard who doesn't understand that he's actually just a wizard.

In which category would you put The Force?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I was just about to bring that up. Although a religion who's adherents are wizards instead of clerics sounds familiar. I think I've seen it somewhere before.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

He'd understand, he'd understand that people mistrust wizards and gods are a great way to convince people to do stuff. I think the Fall from Heaven 2 mod for Civilization 4 had some really great religions, they centered around angels who used to serve a monotheistic god that has disappeared.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Demiurge4 posted:

He'd understand, he'd understand that people mistrust wizards and gods are a great way to convince people to do stuff. I think the Fall from Heaven 2 mod for Civilization 4 had some really great religions, they centered around angels who used to serve a monotheistic god that has disappeared.

And of course there were the Octopus Overlords :cthulhu:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

And of course there were the Octopus Overlords :cthulhu:

drat, how did I forget the best religion? Honestly the best thing the game did was the incredibly unique races. They had two species of dwarves that got to share a racial but still have vastly different playstyles.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Demiurge4 posted:

So under that setting, the theocrats would essentially be charlatan wizards who lie about the source of their powers so they can get political control? So if that was the case, the actual setting itself is atheistic. I suppose that's internally consistent at least, and I think Phobius did something like that in Shadow Magic, although it's been too long since I played to recall the details.

Of course that doesn't preclude the actual existence of the divine, in which case there could be two kinds of theocrats, those who actually worship an actual deity and derive their power and authority from there, as we saw in the Spirit of Order, etc. from the previous games, and then those who are liars, wizards who worship nothing but claim to in order to rule the ignorant, such as we saw Phobius doing in the previous game.

Slashrat posted:

In which category would you put The Force?

The Force as I see it isn't actually supernatural at all. It doesn't come from a higher being the jedi worship, nor does it come from some sort of philosophical system, since the jedi all have different philosophies. It's a sort of physics you interact with by means of a handwaved symbiotic relationship with some microbes in your blood. Star Wars is essentially a materialistic setting.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

So under that setting, the theocrats would essentially be charlatan wizards who lie about the source of their powers so they can get political control? So if that was the case, the actual setting itself is atheistic. I suppose that's internally consistent at least, and I think Phobius did something like that in Shadow Magic, although it's been too long since I played to recall the details.

Of course that doesn't preclude the actual existence of the divine, in which case there could be two kinds of theocrats, those who actually worship an actual deity and derive their power and authority from there, as we saw in the Spirit of Order, etc. from the previous games, and then those who are liars, wizards who worship nothing but claim to in order to rule the ignorant, such as we saw Phobius doing in the previous game.

I don't recall much about Shadow Magic either, but I do remember Age of Wonders has always had clerics or at least shamans for all the races that employed healing magics (life). Unless the religions are somehow super unique, I don't see how they can differentiate from the magic schools in any meaningful way apart from what we've seen (inspiration and buff spells, smite undead). But those are all essentially life based magics anyway.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

I always like fictional religions that center around philosophies rather than actual gods. The Light in Warcraft is one example, and it would be quite cool for the theocracies in AoW III to actually just be a new kind of magic with no actual god, or at least just fake gods.

Mzbundifund posted:

Demiurge4 posted:

I don't recall much about Shadow Magic either, but I do remember Age of Wonders has always had clerics or at least shamans for all the races that employed healing magics (life). Unless the religions are somehow super unique, I don't see how they can differentiate from the magic schools in any meaningful way apart from what we've seen (inspiration and buff spells, smite undead). But those are all essentially life based magics anyway.

I like the whole idea of faith magic in Warcraft. Its not what you believe in, but the act of belief that empowers you. Personal philosophies can even go far enough for you to justify obliterating the minds of others is still serving the light, by being proactive and stopping others from causing harm. Others might tell you that you have betrayed your order and oath's, but your strong sense of what's right and wrong leads you to save another's life, and a discovery that they cant take such things away from you so long as you believe in something you consider dear to you.

Its not magic by ignorance, these are not mages of another colour. Faith itself is not giving them strength, its belief in what they choose to follow, even if that belief is in themselves or in a honour code. Doesn't have to be something grand, it just often is.

Now why everyone cant do this, or why certain "Fel" touched races loose such a connection is some of the murky sides of this, but overall i like the idea that strong belief results in power, if you are of that quirk of mind to worship "it" in your own way.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
I like that!
It reminds me of a similar story about the power of belief. Don't quite remember all the details, but the gist of it was:

A vampire, being sick and tired of always being rebuffed by crosses at every turn, decides to move to a foreign land, where Christianity hasn't established such a strong foothold.
Late at night, ecstatic at not seeing a single church in this town, the vampire finds a girl coming from her work in a factory.
He tries to attack her in a dark alley, but he can't get near her. Just like the cross, the girl has her own object of belief that's repelling him.
The object? A tiny hammer and sickle hanging from her neck.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's also very similar to the True Faith power in WoD.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Theocracy doesn't necessarily have to mean that the magic itself is divine, merely that the strength of magic and authority was given by god. Ancient Egypt and modern North Korea both claim divinity, but say... Saudi Arabia and Papacy have varying differences.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Started playing shadow magic multiplayer with a cousin, discovered it has spectator mode for manual combat :stare: That'll teach me for never playing this over LAN and only hotseat back in the day.

Also, game is surprisingly chill to play multiplayer. I suggest it to anyone. :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 8, 2013

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I never played any of these old TBS strategy games, but I played the crap out of Battle for Wesnoth. (I don't think I ever managed to beat even the first campaign, because I refused to play it on Easy). I've heard Battle for Wesnoth was really similar to Heroes of Might and Magic, but I'm not sure.

Basically from what I can tell they are mostly the same, but Battle for Wesnoth is a lot less deep. Is that actually the case? Because this game looks awesome and I'd hate to buy it and hate it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They're completely different games. Wesnoth isn't anything like HoMM or AoW, other than they're all fantasy TBS games. But that's a really broad classification. Battle of Wesnoth has more in common with FFT, Fire Emblem, or perhaps moreso than anything else, Fantasy General. It's all combat, like a fantasy wargame, almost. AoW is much more Civilization-like with empire management aspects, diplomacy, etc. Battles take place on separate battle maps. You have cities and build buildings and units in the cities to compose your armies, and so on.

Just buy Age of Wonders Shadow Magic next time it's on sale on GoG. It's really cheap and you'll know exactly what to expect.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 8, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Questions for Gerblyn!

Will anything be changing for holding your territory and making it less fiddly? Having to have 1 waterwalking/flyer unit to recap stuff when a single mob runs past, or loosing a city to a roaming swordsman was somewhat frustrating. Maybe a city attack option like Civ5 or have it so garrisoned armies can defend local objects easier?

Non-spellcaster lords and spellcaster heroes, how will they interact? I'd assume a Dreadnaught wont be researching spells so... Or am i mistaken and no matter what lord you roll up you ARE a wizard, just a different kind? Because having a lord without a spellbook and a hero with spellcasting could be... difficult. :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just buy Age of Wonders Shadow Magic next time it's on sale on GoG Or steam. It's really cheap and you'll know exactly what to expect.

You really should.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Shadowmorn posted:

Will anything be changing for holding your territory and making it less fiddly? Having to have 1 waterwalking/flyer unit to recap stuff when a single mob runs past, or loosing a city to a roaming swordsman was somewhat frustrating. Maybe a city attack option like Civ5 or have it so garrisoned armies can defend local objects easier?

Non-spellcaster lords and spellcaster heroes, how will they interact? I'd assume a Dreadnaught wont be researching spells so... Or am i mistaken and no matter what lord you roll up you ARE a wizard, just a different kind? Because having a lord without a spellbook and a hero with spellcasting could be... difficult. :v:

Well, non-magical classes still get spells. They're just thematically less magical. For example, rogues get spells for gathering information and poisoning people, while dreadnaughts get spells that help boost war machines and things. They still cost mana though, and for all practical purposes can be considered to be spells.

As for your other question, we want the focus of defending your territory to be based around defending your domain, which means you'll mainly only need to defend fortresses and cities. There's a bit more to it than that, but I don't think that information's been released and I'm not at work so I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say :shobon:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If you any of you guys have played Heroes 6 I like the defense in that aspect a lot. Each castle/fort controls a certain territory and anything inside the control area cannot be taken from you unless the castle of the region is captured.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I never played HOMM6, but I don't like the sound of that. Unless the area is really small and there is a lot of "neutral" area between cities, it would encourage turtling in your cities and wouldn't encourage strong map control with your military. Your economy should be something that can be harassed and threatened without having to take cities.

edit: If you can't capture buildings in another players' domain, at least give the option to pillage them so they don't produce an output for anyone.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Each control area usually had a fort and a 1-2 mines and a large empire might consist of 3-4 castles plus another 4-5 forts. So it wasn't like you could hold half your empire by turtling in one spot. It just saved the annoyance of having a guy come flag all your mines and then you spending 6 turns retaking them. It also meant a well timed attack on an undefended location could net you quite a bit of income for a few turns. I thought it struck a good balance between having harass give the attacker a decent reward without forcing the defender to try and stop 25 lone peasants running around his land capping all his stuff.

• Locked thread