Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Eternal Lords is the first game I've bought at full price in a decade, and it's not (just) because the game's great. I've been very impressed with Triumph's and in particular local representative Gerblyn's responsiveness. Congrats, guys, you're awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh man, you guys finally added that 'Ranged Penalty' ground indicator, I can't tell you how happy that makes me. All of the QoL improvements are super good, and with all the new race and mechanics changes this seriously feels like as big of a jump as AoW2 was to Shadow Magic.

I am totally digging the Catmans too. I don't think I've ever loved T1 units so much.

Also I know this has been asked before, but is there any chance of the new xpac soundtracks getting added to download in FLAC at any point?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
AI Design question for you, Gerblyn:

In a melee-on-melee fight, you're often better off engaging an enemy unit by moving into melee contact with it and then guarding. This means you can't be flanked or turned around to break your engagement with the unit, and your opponent has to fight into your +2/+2 defenses or eat an opportunity attack to get away from you. This is especially preferable if attacking on your turn would have meant fighting into guard bonuses yourself, and especially especially true if you're using a unit with first strike, tireless, or defender. An Orc Crusader, for example, should almost never be attacking something on its own turn.

The AI doesn't seem to have any inkling of this concept, and if you haven't left it a clear path to suicide into your leader it will cheerfully make unfavorable attacks against defending units, even if it means throwing T1 Pikemen into Firstborn or Crusaders for no benefit, just because it seemingly can't not attack. There are times when it's worth it to attack unfavorably (soaking AP, making sure a unit is too wounded to chance an AoO on disengagement, etc) but this sort of aggressive guarding is a fundamental tool for tying down and safely engaging enemy melee lines and the AI not using it at all really holds it back while making defensive melee units underperform pretty badly in autoresolve.

PS Game's great, love you guys.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also I know this has been asked before, but is there any chance of the new xpac soundtracks getting added to download in FLAC at any point?

Check your OST folder!

Another quirk of the 'we're going to guard until you come into range' AI tactic is that you can pepper their units with long range attacks and they will sit there guarding until you get a kill. This goes about as well you'd expect.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
We house ruled no guarding sploits haha

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Frostlings are made of tissue paper. That is all.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Nothing like pointing your finger at a fire dragon and it instantly dying.

:catstare:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Rapid Reload doesn't work on hero muskets what the gently caress

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

In a melee-on-melee fight, you're often better off engaging an enemy unit by moving into melee contact with it and then guarding. This means you can't be flanked or turned around to break your engagement with the unit, and your opponent has to fight into your +2/+2 defenses or eat an opportunity attack to get away from you. This is especially preferable if attacking on your turn would have meant fighting into guard bonuses yourself, and especially especially true if you're using a unit with first strike, tireless, or defender. An Orc Crusader, for example, should almost never be attacking something on its own turn.

Yeah, this stuff is really hard to add, because it can lead to lots of exploits that players can use to nuke units. I could look into adding it to a limited degree, but there would need to be lots of "Don't do this if..." exceptions added like "Don't do this if the target has guard breaker/has lots of nearby ranged units" and things.

Delacroix posted:

Another quirk of the 'we're going to guard until you come into range' AI tactic is that you can pepper their units with long range attacks and they will sit there guarding until you get a kill. This goes about as well you'd expect.

Yeah, sometimes the AI won't respond if you only damage a single unit. This was added because players would just trigger the AI from their starting spot with a cheap fire ball or something. I think I might need to tweak the behavior a bit though.

Malachamavet posted:

Is it intended that goblins don't have +10% undead pop gain and high elves don't have -10%? Most other initial pop things (like Expander) apply to both living and undead populations.

They work for me, I just tested:

If you have a save where it doesn't work, could you email it to me? (savegames@triumphstudios.com)

ninjewtsu posted:

Does Global Assault stack on top of medals gained from city improvements?

Nope, Global Assault just takes the newly produced units to gold medal, after city upgrades are applied. Being able to produce champion 2/3 units straight from cities would be even more insane than the spell already is.

ninjewtsu posted:

So I found an indie city, which immediately gave me a quest. I killed a nearby goldmine before looking at the quest. I looked at the quest, and it was to end the terror at the goldmine. Then I immediately failed the quest, and have -100 relations with that city

Herm, the city should cancel the quest if you kill the quest target before the quest starts... I'll look into it!

CommissarMega posted:

For the first, does this refer to any dude on a horse (e.g. Knights, Mounted Archers and, well, Cavalry) as a whole, or just Human Cavalry as a unit? As for the second, does that apply only to Human cities? I'd suppose it does, but I'd like to have some clarity on this.

The XP boost is only the human T2 cavalry racial unit. The +2 melee attack is all human cavalry units though (including heroes).

Bouquet posted:

I still get a crash very frequently when left clicking on a neutral village in the diplomacy screen. Anyone else see this?

We've had reports about it here, too. Not sure what's causing it. If you have a save game you could mail me which lets me see it happen, that would be great! (savegames@triumphstudios.com)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhows, glad everyone' having fun! We're planning a patch for the next couple of weeks to fix stuff. I'll be buffing the Bone Collector as well, sinc eit's extremely underwhelming as is...

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

Rapid Reload doesn't work on hero muskets what the gently caress

Rapid reload resets every cooldown on the target unit, we had to stop it working on heroes because we couldn't localize the effect to the fire musket ability.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought it worked fine before the musketeer change though?

Man I wish I had known that before I put my last seeker on my hero instead of a musketeer during a city seige

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

Man I wish I had known that before I put my last seeker on my hero instead of a musketeer during a city seige

Nope, it never worked!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Twisting vines is seriously OP!!!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

ninjewtsu posted:

Rapid reload used to only apply to machines, then some time later it reloaded musketeers by popular demand. A dreadnought hero will never have a lack of guns to shoot when you have side arms researched.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Delacroix posted:

Another thing with the new stand still and guard behavior is the AI won't use buff abilities or long range spells while guarding, could use some tweaking to have them use any long term buff spells or long range attacks while still guarding the frontline.

Also holy moly does inflict and exploit despair kill stuff fast, one round of attacks of inflict despair and a lost soul does 20-30 spirit damage to T4's.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 15, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Its been awhile since I last played the campaigns, were there always regional names?

Kinda neat! :haw: I assume you can do that for scenario's too right?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

Yes! In Level Ed, go:

Markers -> Overview Text Marker

And you can place a thingy which has the text tied to it. Also, apparently we put a build out on steam without Level Ed by accident! This was fixed last night at 11pm, I've been told, so you should be able to get into it now.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Awesome. Also yeah I saw that fix. Thanks Gerbyln. :unsmith:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Still looking for Players on the PBEM games I started:

Goon Wars
Goon Wars Underground
Goon Piracy

password: anime

I may end up canceling the underground one if no one joins since apparently it's taboo even for a test game. Yeesh.

I just need two players to start each of the other games, so c'mon and join the fun.

Update: Goon Wars is full, just need one more for underground and piracy and we'll be full up and ready to rock.

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 15, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bouquet posted:

I still get a crash very frequently when left clicking on a neutral village in the diplomacy screen. Anyone else see this?

We've got a fix for this, it's caused by clicking on the grey Independent player shield over the minimap and then clicking on a city in the diplomacy screen. So, until you get a patch, don't do that!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Making a Frosting lady leader, accessory 47 and 52 seem to be the same.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Its been awhile since I last played the campaigns, were there always regional names?

This needs to be a thing for the RMG with randomly generated names. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ruled by a King? Where does that come from?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Thyrork posted:

Ruled by a King? Where does that come from?

Doesn't that have to do with Racial Governance tiers?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
No, it's the AI cheating. That's the happiness bonus king level AIs get.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Delacroix posted:

Check your OST folder!

I have the GoG version which does not have an OST folder, and the music pack for download there has not been updated with the xpac tracks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Cadavars are surprisingly beefy if you raise a elite or champion corpse since they keep the medals, close in stats to T2's.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Not a dev journal exactly, but a small update.

http://ageofwonders.com/the-day-after-update-and-plans/

A well earned vacation, I'd say.

Game was tearing up the steam charts yesterday and it looks like both the expansion and the complete edition are still sitting comfortably in the top 10, so hopefully it more then met expectations. :)

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

madmac posted:

Still looking for Players on the PBEM games I started:

Goon Wars
Goon Wars Underground
Goon Piracy

password: anime

I may end up canceling the underground one if no one joins since apparently it's taboo even for a test game. Yeesh.

I just need two players to start each of the other games, so c'mon and join the fun.

Update: Goon Wars is full, just need one more for underground and piracy and we'll be full up and ready to rock.

Registered my account, ready to go in Goon Piracy! Looking forward to my first multiplayer game.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Smiling Knight posted:

Registered my account, ready to go in Goon Piracy! Looking forward to my first multiplayer game.

Awesome!

Just need one more victim for Goon Wars Underground and I'll be full up.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Grey guard adept looks absurdly strong to me, it feels worth taking even if your not planning to go neutral just to get access to cardinal culling and essence harvesting.

Cardinal culling would be crazy good as a single target spell, but unresistable entire combat duration -5 melee -40% physical to every single unit of that type? that puts pre-nerf warped equipment to shame.

And essence harvesting is a must have for any casters who rely on summoning for their army bulk.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 15, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Cadavars are surprisingly beefy if you raise a elite or champion corpse since they keep the medals, close in stats to T2's.
:aaa: ignore what I was saying earlier, it was based on the assumption of it being hard to get them to gold.

I haven't been able to play yet :( stupid obligations

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 15, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm sad that I can't take both Grey Guard mastery and Creation mastery for the biggest "gently caress the undead" combo possible :(

Imagine having both Bane of the Unnatural and Purging Burst...

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think I found an odd bug in the first new campaign mission. The giant dwelling gave me a stone and a fire giant as quest rewards. But when I absorbed them into my empire, they could only build frost giants. And it wouldn't let me build any other giant making buildings.

I think it's thematically supposed to be frosts, so that fire giant I got shouldn't have existed.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
The last place in underground has been taken.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

psudonym55 posted:

The last place in underground has been taken.

Niiiiice. All the pbem games are live now.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I really need to pick up the expansions because I'm itching for a empire building game to play and Age of wonders is a good one.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Drone_Fragger posted:

I really need to pick up the expansions because I'm itching for a empire building game to play and Age of wonders is a good one.

Keep in mind that it's not really an empire building game, I think Endless Legend is better if empire building is really what you are looking for. AOW3 is still a great game, but that's just not its strength.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Drone_Fragger posted:

Like others I'd caution you against thinking of this game as an empire builder. When I first picked it up I really didn't like it because I wanted Civ but with fantasy. AoW3 is very combat centric. The combat is really good, but a civ style empire builder it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
You might be able to wrangle something similar to the Civ experience with a large+ map, no cities and starting out with a large city to fuel expansionism. Making the world more dangerous where camps are concerned is kind of a thing i tried multiplayer once.

While I'd say "Get both" I cant tell someone who wants an empire builder to get this. What I CAN tell them to get is Endless Legend instead.

Totally get both when you can 'tho. :ssh:

Edit: I have a dwellings guide written up for Dragons, but i've been holding off posting it since people have new content to discuss, however, i DO plan to put up an item forge guide in the next hour. The item forge is "A Cool Thing", use it if you haven't.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 15, 2015

• Locked thread