Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mitochondritom posted:

http://aow.triumph.net/triumph-studios-joins-forces-with-paradox-interactive/

So Triumph have been acquired by Paradox. Not sure how to feel about it, on the one hand AOWIII was by far my favorite strategy game since it came out and anything that helps Triumph financially is really good. On the other hand I really dislike the way Paradox sell things in a piecemeal way like with Crusader Kings and its billion DLCS.

Really hope they are beavering away on Age of Wonders IV.

Can't wait for the seven races DLC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

victrix posted:

Once again, Kohan is 20 years ahead of its time :v: I'm still waiting for a TBS to do that kind of persistent army deal.

Basically a war where combat is a constant ebb and flow of wins and losses, instead of either a) a growing snowball steamroller that has an inverse difficulty curve, or b) single incredibly decisive fights that basically result in an instant reload in SP or a loss in MP

It's not a totally unique idea, some games (of varying genres) have done it in one form or another, but I can't think of an aow style game (of good quality).

I would say EADOR fit this description for me.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I would say EADOR fit this description for me.

I thought it was pretty heavily based on homm, which is fun but always came down to a single battle making or breaking the game. What did EADOR do to combat this?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

So Triumph have been acquired by Paradox. Not sure how to feel about it, on the one hand AOWIII was by far my favorite strategy game since it came out and anything that helps Triumph financially is really good. On the other hand I really dislike the way Paradox sell things in a piecemeal way like with Crusader Kings and its billion DLCS.

Maybe they can teach Paradox how to make a not-horrible UI. Not clear that they can teach them about making a stable game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

I thought it was pretty heavily based on homm, which is fun but always came down to a single battle making or breaking the game. What did EADOR do to combat this?

Eador does some really clever stuff actually, I was super super addicted to it but I burned out for the opposite reason (an unending series of battles).

Basically it's focused on province level actions, and every province is 'bigger' than it looks on the map, so you can explore and fight in one province repeatedly, and the provinces get more dangerous the farther from your home/closer to the enemy you get (generally).

Your armies are built around leaders (homm style), with your leader fighting in the battle (extremely well in the case of the warrior, with the others having different focii)

It's a really neat game all around, the remake initially was pretty shaky, but I believe it was patched pretty heavily so its probably in decent shape now.

It's STUPID cheap on Steam right now though so you're not risking much to try it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/477730/Eador_Imperium/

Eador Genesis is the original, MotBW is the remake, Imperium is the current release

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

mitochondritom posted:

Unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem to say that they were acquired. Could it just be a publishing deal?

If they are full on Paradox now well the rip I guess and thanks for AoW 3 it was real good.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem to say that they were acquired. Could it just be a publishing deal?

The first sentence of the linked announcement posted:

We are super excited to bring you the news that Triumph Studios has been acquired by Paradox Interactive
:raise:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sorry was speed reading at work, that's why I was just asking.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

mitochondritom posted:

Based on Paradox's FAQ, Triumph is coming on as a pure development studio but on equal footing with the main Paradox developers. The acquisition isn't about nabbing the AoW4 license, it's about Triumph publishing through Paradox. Overall this feels positive, but I'll be tuning in to the CEO livestream for sure:

https://m.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive?desktop-redirect=true

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I look forward to playing a wizard who barges in on nerds playing dungeons and dragons to up their warfare skills.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Leal posted:

I look forward to playing a horse-wizard who barges in on nerds playing dungeons and dragons to up their warfare skills.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is it possible to mod this game so that indie cities above town size don't spawn?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

is it possible to mod this game so that indie cities above town size don't spawn?

No, I just had a look. It appears to be hard coded.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

:(

Oh well.

Playing with OF folks, dwarf sorcerer is a surprisingly effective combo. Forge priests have kind of absurd defensive stats for a support, and 18 dudes that can all both stun and heal is pretty strong.

It makes me want to give orc sorc a shot. Orc priests are good enough in melee for phase melee tricks to work, bane fire is almost as good as the fairy fire that apprentices get, and having 18 throw curses available turn 1 seems pretty nifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I've been getting back into playing this game again with some friends, and every time I boot it up I always mention that I wish this game had gotten more expansions to flesh out the underground and end game.

Also it would have been cool to get a syrons/shadow demons + psion xpac :(

• Locked thread