Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Theocrat is actually secretly op because those god drat shrines with the half map range and that ability that lets them set off a nuclear device that will kill everything that isn't 50% holy and fire resistance in a 4 hex radius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pretty sure you could rule the world as dreadnaught just by packing 6 musketeers into every army and alphastriking the entire enemy force for 75% of their hp and then running away while you reload.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just a bug that probably needs fixing, if you pick one of the predefined leaders, it's then possible for the same leader to turn up in game leading an opposing nation. So you can then end up at war with the evil clone of yourself. It's not gamebreaking by any means but it just feels super wierd, especially when theres like 40 different stock leaders it could of rerolled from.

Also: I won a loving heroic Victory last night, where a rag tag band of 5 flame tanks, 3 axedwarves and two musketdwarves held off 5 full stacks of various units in a fortress in a valley. Resulting in one casualty (one flame tank) for 30 dead enemies.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I mean at game start you are the ruler Tomric Orcsbane and then you bump into a scout... belonging to the other Tomric Orcsbane who is actually the same as you except that his crest is a slightly lighter shade of blue.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Are there any plans for tile upgrades? I mean there is already fortresses and watchtowers but it kinda sucks that there's nothing else for stratagic resources like workshops/alchemy labs/fields/markets for production/mana/farms/gold respectively.

Also, can someone explain what the various elemental mana types do? I can't seem to figure it out.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

But I mean, what are the various nodes used for? Are they just flavour in that there's different elements for them? Do they boost "spellpower" for that spell type?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Any plans to add an undead race? Seems wierd that there's a bunch of status effects and attacks that only work effectively against what are essentially neutral mobs.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm pretty sure dwarves just flat out get the best melee units in the game, but suffer in that they lack decent ranged units (compare dwarven crossbowmen to elven longbowmen, for example) and have a mediocre secondary damage type since fire is probably the most often resisted element (beside holy immunity on a bunch of units, I guess).

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ugh, I'm going to have to start cranking out firstborn instead of crusaders, Trying to siege a dreadnaught is brutal as dwarves because flame tanks are strong as gently caress in sieges since they can attack every turn over walls onto your troops, and dwarves particularly have trouble with them since a lot of dreadnaught stuff is fire resistant so massing forge preists doesn't work. So far I've only managed to take cities by doing an equal mix of forge preists and crusaders and buffing the crusaders with the fire resistance buff forge preists give so the crusaders can actually get in range of the flame tanks without dying.

On that note, holy war is overpowered as gently caress. Literally doubles the attacking strength of almost every unit you have and turns even the lowly axedwarf into an instrument of doom.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I really need to pick AoW3 up again. It's a fun as heck game.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I really need to pick up the expansions because I'm itching for a empire building game to play and Age of wonders is a good one.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Lorini posted:

Keep in mind that it's not really an empire building game, I think Endless Legend is better if empire building is really what you are looking for. AOW3 is still a great game, but that's just not its strength.

I get to murder everyone in the world and wash over them in a tide of dwarves and robots / orcs and angels that shoot spirit bolts, I fail to see how this is an empire building game.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Frostling Theocrat is pretty funny to play and I'd recommend it, Gives you poo poo-loads of damage types so nothing can ignore you completely and Mammoths are hilarious when you buff the poo poo outta them.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Draconian Warlords seem pretty garbage, or is it just because draconian flamers are trash tier ranged units?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

madmac posted:

Flamers are like the second or third best archers in the game man, you just have to use them right.

Flamers have no line of sight or range penalties, aoe damage, (they can fire ground) and can fire for full damage after a full move. That means the total amount of area they threaten with no damage fall-off is absurdly huge. In a tactical battle between range units, if you're not packing like Cannons you basically can't beat flamers. They'll grind your Archers down from a range where effectively hitting them with anything short of spells is nearly impossible. You can even pair them up with Elders for the +5 fire damage on their bombs.

Flamers are brutal, seriously.

Huh, Okay I guess I just suck at tactical combat and don't understand how to use them properly. I guess this is also partially because I almost universally play dreadnaught so I'm really only good with microing musketeers, flame tanks and golems.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I really have no idea how musketeers could be made more interesting without rendering them grossly overpowered, they're already pretty good anyway just because you can instagib piles of units with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ugh, I have the fun conundrum as dreadnought in that I have like 8 stacks of musketeers, so I'm basically able to isntagib any enemy army trying to attack my forces, but I can't take this guys capital because he has like 3 stacks of cannons on them and musketeers are garbage at taking cities.

• Locked thread