Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Wow, I've been having a blast with this game. In some way it really gives me the same feeling I got when playing the first AoW as a kid and thinking it was the best thing ever.

My one gripe is that there doesn't seem to be a way to make the todo-notifications for city production go away, especially annoying since they come before army movement notifications, making me liable to miss important stuff I actually should be doing. Surely there must be a way to tell the game "YES I KNOW all my cities are producing merchandise, now shut up and tell me what units I need to move" that I'm just missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

Set to "merchandise" and hit the "infinite repeat" button.

It feels like a bit of a workaround (I'd rather I could just dismiss them for the one turn), but I guess it's a pretty nifty solution, thanks! :)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

One thing I'd love to see would be an option to increase research times, as well as some way to make it take longer to access higher tier units. I think it would be great to have more of a feeling of progression to the game - early wars fought with the mentioned hordes of spearmen and archers and a slow gradual escalation of force until all sides are summoning demons from hell and tearing the space-time apart, and all that.

As things are now you can get access to your best racial units quite quickly if you really focus on it, so there is no real sense of accomplishment when you are finally able to field your top tier units. Maybe linking high tier unit production facilities to research could help? Admittedly this is mostly a problem on larger maps, where it feels like you've researched and built everything before you even find the last opponent.

Maybe increasing the upkeep costs for high tier units a bit could be an idea, making them less spammable and more of a tradeoff to use?

But admittedly, I've just played around on the lower difficulties this far so I don't know it this is as much of an issue on higher levels :shobon:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

While I'm picking nits, would it be possible to have settlers/builders instantly die or something when all combat units are gone in a siege, to avoid having to chase them down at the far end of the map?

Not a huge problem, but it's a bit anticlimactic having to spend 3-4 turns on cleaning them up after fighting a titanic battle :(

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Lorewise, how much time has passed between the first/second and second/third games? Also, is there a place with a good synopsis of the plot of the second game? I never finished it (finished the first a couple of times though), but I really like the lore of the games. The way the races have evolved in the third installment (especially the elves becoming murderous badasses) is really great.

Also, am I missing something about the end of the fourth (I think) commonwealth mission? After killing Laryssa and the evil draconian dude, Edward suddenly goes "welp some people are apparently trying to destroy the world, and also the emperor is now a bad guy so I better go kill him" without much explanation, and it seems kinda jarring to me.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Thyrork posted:

A recap of 2 and Shadow Magic... eh, its not that easy to recap it without missing details.

Long short; A magical, demonic apocalypse, caused by a cabal of wizards who sought the ultimate seat on the throne of wizards, is thwarted by a cast of plucky heroes, spearheaded by Merlin.

Two thousand years passed.

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-the-story-so-far-part-i/

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-what-happened-after-shadow-magic-story-part-ii/

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-the-powers-and-lore-of-giants/

This happened. The dev journals do a good job of fluffing up the bit inbetween AOW2:SM and 3.

Thanks!

Reading the pretty great plot synopsis for the period leading up to the first game, I realized I quite miss the descriptions and backstories for all the leaders and heroes that were in the previous games. Knowing a bit more about your foes really did make it all that much sweeter to defeat them :(

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Uh, is the fifth commonwealth mission bugged or something? The general dude (Colm I think) gave me a quest to the effect that he would ally with me if I razed one of two cities. I did, and the quest disappeared from the log, but still no alliance. Do I need to send a unit to his city again to trigger the event or something? This mission is already annoying the hell out of me, and unnecessarily razing a city that could have provided sweet sweet swarm darters to the war effort kinda sucks :(

Edit: Nope, seems the quest broke somehow. I think this might be because Sulthor managed to capture the city before me, and I had to take it from him to raze it? Come to think of, I'm not sure if the quest disappeared from the list before I actually took the city or not. I don't think I received any notification about it, at least.

Covski fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 11, 2014

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Wow, this expansion is great. So many things I didn't even know I wanted and they're all awesome :allears:

However I seem to have run into a repeatable crash when losing my throne cities to the huge mass of independants that spawn after I started lighting the unity beacon. (I was dicking around in a knight level game to try things out, and I apparently missed that part of the unity victory, oops) The game crashes the moment the battle is lost, no matter if I autoresolve it or play it manually. Maybe it's related to the fact that I cancelled the beacon lighting to vainly panic build units to try to hold them off? Is there a place I should send the save or something?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

savegames@triumphstudios.com

Please! I'll check it out when I get to work

Done!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Slashrat posted:

Is someone willing to write up a story synopsis of the AoW3 base and Golden Realms campaigns and the major characters in each? Seeing these last few posts made me realize that I've forgotten all but the most vague idea (elves vs. commonwealth, halflings vs snakefolk?) of what those campaigns were about and I'm afraid that'll just mean I'll miss out on even more in the newest campaign.

Seconding this! Actually if I'm allowed to dream, I'd really enjoy a full synopsis of the two first games as well, including the backstory stuff for the first. I know the background for the first game can be found on the original game's page (or is it on of the fanpages?), but it'd be great to have it all in one place. This series has some really good lore!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Zore posted:

Other than that there is a building upgrade in your city, Hospitals, that let people recover 50% HP per turn within the domain of that city.

Huh, does that work for the entire domain of the city? I always thought it was just for units stationed in the city itself. Is it the same for master's guilds wrt machines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Hahaha of course that guy speaks Japanese :allears:

• Locked thread