Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Started playing this again after the DLC and to see how buffed the AI got. Well it certainly is better than it was on launch. Do they always collectively declare war on you on King and higher? I can handle one or two opponents at once, but getting three-four is a bit much. Is this because I am aggressively exploring? I'm not aggressively expanding, but I do inevitably end up getting close to the seals of power.

What exactly is the "defender strength" option in the advanced options? Does it buff troops who are on the defending side in city battles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kajeesus posted:

I think AI diplomacy is almost exclusively based off relative military strength. I lost one game because every AI declared war on me after I lost my biggest stack to a treasure site early in the game, and I've noticed that the AI won't sign peace until I've started to produce my second or third stack.
Weird I thought I had a good mix of military at that point but maybe not. I was probably building too many outposts instead of cities.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What specializations do people like in single player games? Explorer and partisan seem more like MP specs and mastery level specs don't seem too worth it at times.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Thanks for the specialization suggestions, a lot of those posts changed my mind at how to go about selecting my initial hero.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I find Empire Building to be much slower than the Standard game. The AI seems to suffer a bit as a result too, as without the initial foothold, the difficulty setting's multiplier takes longer to kick into gear. You can really chop an AI off at the knees if you so desire, or you can just let it go and it can evolve naturally while you do whatever you want.

I wish there was something in between Empire Building and Standard Game. I think I just need to mess with the settings, like turning off roads and stuff.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ahh, I wish the camera was a bit more zoomed in during battles so you can appreciate the textures more.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man it is unreal how different the standard game is versus the empire building game. Standard games play out so fast!!!! Empire building feels like it takes an eternity and you end up having T4 units for half the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Golems shouldn't have 32 movement points, that's my only input! They're supposed to be a slow faction so it seemed weird to e that they got 32 movement points.

Also the single player AI does not respond very well to golems when they roll out. At that point the AI is probably spamming t3/t4 units exclusively when specific t1/t2 units fare a bit better against them outside of heroes. So the golems just end up leveling and rolling the game because the AI does not adapt.

I have no idea what the multiplayer situation looks like. The big MP posters that I know of on the main forums aren't weighing in that much on the balance discussions. I'd be surprised if games really get that far anyway with how high golems are and how bloodthirsty the games that I've observed.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bloodly posted:

In a game that is 'quality over quantity', being able to preserve your troops even when your own stupidity makes you lose troops is the biggest godsend you can have. Hell, Shadow Magic doesn't get that option(At least early), and Lord knows I'd like to have that.
Yeah but due to flank attacks, the game is really more about quantity than quality!

Being able to preserve units means you don't need to waste precious time replacing them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do you guys like to play Standard mode mostly or Empire Building? Does anyone have any consistently good world building settings to float? I've heard that unit roaming really puts a big dent into the AI so I've been debating playing some games with that off lately. Likewise Defender Strength being set higher does seem to really hamstring the AI as I consistently see their domains filled with neutral occupied resource nodes when I tinker.

Random other question: do you guys leave garrisons behind or do you "scout" your borders aggressively. I find scouting my borders is just effort I don't want to spend, and likewise having sentries and watch towers doesn't always mean I can get a unit to a city in time to defend it since sometimes the AI loves to swoop in fliers.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I like Seal Victory and all but it's pretty sad to watch the AI derp off its seal by accident and lose its lead as a result. Also whenever I get a seal victory and check out my scores afterwards, I get a sinking feeling I'd probably lose the game if I had to win the old fashioned way since the AI is inevitably way ahead of me in knowledge and usually a slight edge in military on King difficulty.

Also Standard game setting is so much easier than Empire Building. Buying cities early game is so nice and snow bally.

Am I bad in that I've yet to build a T4 unit? I've summoned plenty but I never have time to push a T4 out in literally ALL of my games on medium setting. This was my fastest win by far on Turn 80 and I could have probably got a few out, but I really need a lot of T3s to cover the seals or else the AI gets really seal happy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't even build half the city improvements before I put a city into infinite unit spam most of the time. Which is unfortunate since Grand Palace isn't anything I like but the quest reward for it is really good iirc.

Once I start taking cities from the AI, they are usually good enough anyway!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I pretty much am always making troops on a standard game. I only stop when I need to shift strategy directions, e.g., planting a temple in all my towns if I know I am going to need mana to make use of my CP increases I'm about to research.

I should really try playing the campaigns sometime, I've ignored them since purchasing the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't spam build t1 units either since it just eats up money, slowing everything down. T2 is where the fun starts and you can speed into T2 very quickly.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Seals Victory alone changes the single player experience a lot for random maps. No longer do you have to sludge through the broken vestiges of the final AI who has gone run away. Just control the seals, and he'll bring all his armies to you instead. And trust me, they really bring EVERYTHING.

I loved everything in the DLC except Empire Quests. I really don't like the Empire Quests much since they're very static and the AI always gets the same ones and so does the player. I'm sure they're fun in multiplayer though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just view them as wonders.

Man I decided to try and play the campaign and decided to put it on Hard since I know how to play the game. It's turned into a meat grinder after the first map and is pretty hilarious how much the AI pumps out and how abusive you can be with the plot mechanics (t4 gold dragon? sure why not).

I really hate the underground though. And the global enchant spam that I can never dispel.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've always played this game under guest mode fwiw. I have no interest in multiplayer.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
This single player campaign is awful. I can't believe there's even a route split that just leads to more capture 50 towns on an obnoxious map.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just wanted to see what they were like after playing so many random maps. It felt odd to have like 100+ hours in this game but never even open the campaign, heh.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think nothing short of skipping chapters or a cheat with infinite move points is what the doctor ordered. It's not that they're hard, even on hard, it's just there's soooooooooo much ground to cover with your OP heroes and hordes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I like to cram as many players as possible into a small or medium map with really small starting towns and armies. You get more of an early game this way because you actually have to use tier 1 units and you're going to have to knock out your neighbors to expand. And I've been turning on seal victory with really high limits because why not. It apparently makes the AI more aggressive.
Yeah do this if you actually want to play more of the central game itself. The empire building is interesting for a few games but once you get used to that, crank up the AI count so the pressure is always on and you're getting to the fights sooner.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Group early to get the experience trains rolling. Split them up once you have units to be supported.

Eventually migrate to one hero per stack because apparently all of the heroes in the game are in constant argument over who gets to officially lead the stack when they're equal levels.

Seriously can we just get the option to choose a stack leader already? :|

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Busy work is kind of a meh excuse considering the number of clicks you need to do for stuff like splitting stacks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ya we're talking about 15 damage a turn. It really shouldn't be decimating you that badly.

I do agree that chasing down the AI settler after a lot of fights does get annoying. You can be cheesy too and just convert it though to your side, heh. Yet another reason to get the AI fixed on the no-city build mode!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So wait we're getting two races in the upcoming DLC or is this just a hovel thing?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I have so many hours in this game and I never use concealment against the AI because I assume they automagically see through it via AI advantage. Is this true?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
TBH I hate going city spam cause the interface doesn't handle it very well. I just set a bunch of cities to auto build economy and forget about it cause I get tired of managing them. If I didn't do that, I'd have to slog through each city one by one when things complete and spend half my time just picking the usual upgrades. Half the time my economy can't support my queues so I'll queue them up anyway and figure the AI will handle it somehow!!!!

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Do many people play that way? It's completely unnecessary at the highest difficulty single player and seems like you'd just be asking to be rushed in multi.
My brief stint with the campaign forced like 50 towns down your throat in the later stages. Clearly it's something the campaign does at the very least so it'll be hilarious to see what their economic overhaul does to the campaigns :V

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Triskelli posted:

As a fellow turtler, I disagree. The appeal of turtling to me is being an rear end in a top hat later than everyone else, which is why Dreadnought appeals to me so much. It's the comfort in seeing numbers rise to ridiculous heights, and having a perfect defense for enemies to crash against. Which, very obviously, is not fun for the people being subjected to it, and the focus of the game is having battles in the field. It's an idea of building deathstacks or death carpets, nice neat little armies all aligned in rows and crushing the rabble underfoot. And the benefit of the builder idea is that you could create highly ranked units from a handful of cities.
Do you really have problems turtling right now in the game's current form though? I feel like you can do all of this in the current game, and it's not necessarily limited to Dreadnought. I mean all those epic spells you see at the top of the tech tree normally don't see play in your average game size/length.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
No rush before 50 turns!!!!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does anyone else feel Dwellings are a touch on the OP side sometimes?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I probably haven't played enough to know, but in my experience they aren't usually worth the investment unless you're playing a longer game. I'll get a dragon dwelling and then won't have the spare 800 gold to spend on working toward dragons. They also take up a lot of space and don't do anything for your economy.

I've had some great games with fairy and naga dwellings though, so I know the units can be really strong. And getting two free giants for completing a quest can be huge.
Ya I get that they're an investment but a t4 dragon is pretty much bonkers compared to some of the other dwellings.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
holy poo poo halfling theocrats with mass blessing is the most obnoxious thing ever

Specifically when it's a wave of Exalted

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What are some good items people like to forge? Other than seeker helms. I'm so unimaginative when it comes to the arcane forge, I usually just slap up stat sticks and seeker helms.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't mind the RNG existing for spells but it does seem a bit cruel when it comes to expander/scouting. Probably partisan too but who picks that crap?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Probably within the month I'd guess. I'll be surprised if it goes longer than Feb at the rate of the dev journals.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I was putting off more AoW3 games until the next DLC but it seems like it's forever away now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Twice the resources means he's capturing twice as much as you, or playing as Dread I suppose. Anyway get out there and claim!

Building cities really just depends what race/class you are playing but you can't go wrong by building +production buildings, especially if they will give you enough hammers to hit a break point to build a unit in 1 less turn. For the most part after that it's whatever you need for your class.

But in general the majority of your money is going to come from capturing gold mines so get out there and be aggressive.

I have tons of hours in the game and I think the only time I built palaces are when playing as a mage for the CP increase. I don't even build those health buildings. Just full blown production, war, and research.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 7, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't really care at all about Tigrans but I understand they are something of a fan favorite from the previous game.

I do want the new systems though so they can take their time.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I really want to use Defender Strength - Strong but I don't think the AI can handle it. I sometimes take over the AI and see them with uncaptured nodes in their capital territory even on normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It just dawned on me that they are probably creating a new campaign for this expansion.

• Locked thread