Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Have you tried using a VPN? they're generally good for shoring up packetloss in/out of china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Changes in the expansion/patch aside, there's that giant google doc that you can compare each race's version of each unit (and other similar comparisons) pretty easily.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YnqBPSrM0vTRd-HfB17qvXbwPhujpNENkdJp_VWrOnw

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

looks like that's been around for A Very Long Time, linked on the wikia and everything

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

actually tbqh I would want them to make more fantasy races in the current world than for them to go back to the Syrons/Shadow Demon stuff.

Nomads/Azracs would be cool to see again though.

yeah - a construct race would be pretty good with the dreadnoughts running around

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Are you trying to call attention to how overweight those chariot-pulling tigers look? Some kind of ox-tiger hybrid?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

madmac posted:

They've grown fat on the blood of their enemies.

I was actually referring to the arena but eh whatever it's not that big a deal. Just another treasure site that hasn't been previewed yet. (The upgrade building, though...)

Empire upgrade: Weight-loss plan for mounts

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

madmac posted:

It's past the window to be released today, I'm afraid. Word on the street is "very soon" though. Maybe tomorrow?

I'm just saying, the "show me your abiilities" button they've added for hiring heroes is really helpful, that's all. :p

What is the window's endtime, so we can know when to stop wondering each day?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Oh god, high elf manticore riders...

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

My hope that there'd be something to make draconian warbreeds not feel like fast healing is redundant with some small perk....dashed :negative:

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Wow I feel like an idiot turn-scum healing in the very early game when I don't want to stop in between battles.

I think that's a new change for the beta though? I definitely remember for a good while healing in-combat didn't have any out of combat healing.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Yeah I'm really curious to see them in action, I the beta is such a tease about those + Tigrans + Frostlings + Necromancers

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Warlord is in a pretty great spot right now in the beta patch. The one thing I wish they'd change though is Warbreeds. Warbreeds...don't really get anything meaningful out of racial bonuses. Little +1/-1 bonuses here and there, except the Orc Warbreed which gets Tireless and is hands down superior to all the rest.

With how they've tweaked the Manticore Riders to have a variety of fun racial abilities, Warbreed is the odd man out currently.

Yeah - and you could argue that, say, Lucky warbreeds have a significant difference between them and the others, but some like draconians have...+6 healing when they fullheal? they're kinda underwhelming, racial-variance wise

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Halfling Warbreed with Slingshot (Giant Size), throwing boulders instead of pebbles

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Carnalfex posted:

"I may have an affinity to anime, but I also did participate in Ninjutsu for a year once, in which you learn a lot about what samurai and ninja really were"

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/unexplored-theme-races

The thread about facial hair on women is pretty great too.

"give me one reason that my voice is less important then your squeak?"

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/stubbles-for-females/

Is it just me or does "search" and "refresh" do nothing in the PBEM menu when looking for a particular game?

Ah, you have to start a PBEM *before* people can join it.

Where is my Oriental Adventures expansion????? :arghfist::reject:

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

The real question is are they going to keep having to one-up themselves with the expansions - will the third one have TWO classes and THREE races???

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

I've been playing as Hitler already, I'm just glad there's benefits to it other than uniformity in aesthetic

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

So if evil is deep and good is broad, what is the platonic ideal that a neutral run would be, racial-wise?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Monster Energy (TM) Powered Orcs DLC coming Fall 2015

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

madmac posted:

Well the slower population growth does mean they get less XP, but no what I mean is normally you get a percentage adjustment to Racial XP based off your current racial happiness, Necromancers get no bonus (or penalty) because racial happiness is not a thing that exists for them.

Likewise, Necromancer cities simply do not have happiness. They have a base, IIRC 15% production bonus that is locked in and never changes, unlike living cities where actual production and income can fluctuate wildly with changes in happiness. Basically Necromancer Cities are always at baseline happiness, much like their units are always at baseline morale. You don't have to worry about the lows but you never hit the highs either, which means in the long run they have a consistent but weaker economy then other classes, Racial XP included.

Really curious to see the halfling necromancer nuances, then!

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

I think it'd be interesting if there was a mode or mod or something that let you play with research/production rollover just to see how it would feel and play out

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Halflings - Tier V - Military: Halflings become Wholelings

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Goblin Druids :stare:

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

madmac posted:

Let me add a note about pacing, because that's not obvious without having played with Racial Governance on before.

The level one upgrades come very fast, like within the first five turns. They might not look like much but these are very important because it's what jumps starts your economy/clearing to help you build momentum early.

The level 2 upgrades take a fair bit longer, depending on how quickly you expand. I would say 15-20 turns on average. You still get them early enough for them to be a fairly critical decision point.

By level 3 your playstyle will start to have a much larger impact, but I'm going to say on average around 30+ turns. In your average multiplayer game this is probably as high as you'll go before the game is already decided, so it's a mini-capstone choice for shorter games or smaller maps.

Level 4 comes pretty late. Like probably not before turn 40-50 unless you're going full goblin hitler. Often by the time this upgrade comes around it'll be too late to retroactively fit your strategy around it so it becomes a question of what is most helpful right now in helping you finishing things.

Level 5 comes very late. Like probably around turn 70-80. Even going full Hitler I haven't heard of anyone hitting Diety before turn 50-60. These upgrades come out a little before casting your ultimate spell becomes a serious consideration and has a similar effect of just trying to end things.

These benchmarks based on experience and feelings rather then specifically keeping track so small grain of salt but I'd say it's fairly accurate.

How does that pacing work with multiple races (i.e. not-Hitler)? Would it take like 40 turns for 2 level 2 upgrades or less?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Holy gently caress goblins

edit: and yet still no cool Draconian Warbreed stuff...

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

It's tricky, I made a list of about 30 things and showed them to the beta testers, after 2 or 3 pages of criticisms and things, 16 survived. It's very close to release, so I couldn't risk giving out anything controversial, since we wouldn't have time to fix it. Warbreeds are the bane of my existence for this stuff, since they're so strong already that it's hard to think of something that wouldn't push them over the edge into being completely insane (like fire breath) and would fit in with the various notions people have of how the race and class should work. Hopefully, we can come up with something for the warbreeds for the next big patch after release.

Also:

See, not one eye batted.

Obviously should just give them the limited flying only in tactical combat thing :haw:

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

In seriousness though, why would warbreeds or phalanxes be harder to do than manticore riders - couldn't you say it'd be equally as hard to find a way to differentiate them while they're already stupid strong?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

A human warlord with double medals and all the xp buildings would have what xp on a new mounted archer? It seems like it would be...a lot.

Edit wait it's double medals not double all xp effects, here I was thinking you'd be cranking out like gold 3 dudes

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

When drac warbreeds hit gold they evolve into dragons.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

I mean, I haven't played super competitively or a lot of MP or anything but I didn't even realize the ice elemental was a conceptual tank if that says anything about it.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Kirinith posted:

I'm not sure just removing the physical weakness from them would be a good change; it really does make the unit feel unique, and it's massive defense with the defender trait does go a very long way to mitigating it (That's another question; does defender boost the bonus from nonstandard buffs like Shield and Projectile Resistance?). Still, their reliance on the defend command does limit their options in combat; maybe they could use Defensive Strike? That would let them go on the offense once and a while without commiting suicide by archer.

it would be cool to have a non dwarf with that ability. maybe add the projectile resistance as a medal bonus?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Dwarf warbreeds could just get armor and/or shield which would make them bonkers I think?

Draconian warbreeds could get fearsome, which falls into that "you don't want to be attacking these guys anyway" but the whole dragon fear thing is a nice embellishment.

Halfling warbreeds could get very lucky but holy crap that would be stupid. Maybe just an intrinsic morale boost like the racial upgrade?

High elf warbreeds could get...longbows? Isn't that what every HE unit gets?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Can you guys spoil the racial variants of the Manticores etc. for Tigran and Frostlings?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

What is helpless?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

I'm sure it's been discussed in the past, but what's the reasoning behind not having 4 tiers of racial units like there are class units? Difficulty in making them good but not strictly better or worse than class alternatives or something?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

madmac posted:

To put it very simply, the dwelings are the Racial T4s, quite literally in a lot of cases. The Glutton for example used to be the Orcs T4 unit. Personally I think it's a better system all round, the devs don't have to worry about shoving in a different T4 for every race and instead you get a big pool of cool monsters that anyone can use, and the dwellings themselves can have a lot of flavor. Naga Glutton is massively cooler then the Orc Glutton ever was.

In the older games the RaceT4 units were basically just a bunch of giant monsters and mythological creatures (leprachauns) as opposed to actually being Elves or whatever, so making them idependent creaures you can ally with is more true to what they were supposed to be technically, and it balances better against Class T4s that you have to spend 70+ turns researching to unlock.

Just have to have each race have A Mega Hitler Unit that you can only have one of at a time

edit: each has its own path i.e. the elf one has path of elves, turning cities and units it walks over into elfs

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

I wish there was preorder because I am so hype for the expansion. It's basically all the little things I wished were in the game and some things that I didn't even know I wanted. Now all we need is some kind of construct race and a monastic class and I'm happy forever

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Speaking of videos, is there a good youtube or twitch or something that has a overview of a more 'competitive' playthrough? In civ 4 I kinda farted around until I watched a nice breakdown of chop-rushing oracle for praetorian warmongering and the more streamlined approaches clicked. I haven't really seen a video to date that has that kind of mindset.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Watching that vid should be helpful - I think I just want to see the kind of tempo and decisionmaking for the early-mid game. What kind of scouting, camp clearing, unit vs building production, workers and settlers timing, etc. More conceptual than specific strategies.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

If you get good and evil specializations they just cancel out and you get gray guard that takes two specialization slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

are HE ghouls at 100 or 80 blight resistance?

• Locked thread