Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Just tried this again for the first time in 6 months, and the AI still seems super passive, it builds decent armies but it never does anything much with them, just piles them in its cities. Once the battle starts it gives a good account of itself, but I'm rapidly getting bored of all my fights being offensive sieges.

Is this some scripted behavior in the campaign? Will it be better in random maps, or on higher difficulty levels without cheating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

bamhand posted:

Are you playing on the easiest difficulty? I'm playing through on normal and by the time I got to the 3rd map the AI just comes over and wrecks my poo poo if I don't play super aggressively.

I'm playing on normal too, I have been playing pretty aggressively, but only because if I don't the AI builds half a dozen stacks in each city, and then just sits there, which gets very tedious to chew through. Which reminds me, what if anything are the penalties to going bankrupt? I had tried hitting all their cities with - production or - gold global spells in the hope this would make them bankrupt from maintaining their huge armies, but it didn't seem to have much effect.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

bamhand posted:

Need to just double down and go with 6 breasts or none.

That would be triple down :colbert:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So if necromancers can corrupt farms and life springs, can others uncorrupt them back somehow?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So what's the chances of the halfing DLC going on sale when the new one comes out?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So what am I missing with flood the land? I'm trying to use it to convert some volcanic plains into temperate so that I can settle it with elves, but although it works it reverts to volcanic at the end of every turn.

I had built a fort where I intended to found a city, and at first I thought that it must need to be in the range of a city's influence to stick, but now that I have founded a city there it still keeps reverting. Can it be anything to do with the fact that after turning it to temperate wet lands I immediately try to terraform it to woodlands? I've used the exact same 1 turn process elsewhere without problems though, and all of the hexes revert, not just the ones I turn to woodland.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

Is there a Heart Of The Volcano nearby? AFAIK that's the only thing in the whole game that can terraform land into volcanic. You can raze the heart if you like, or clear it and plant a city next to it to get an empire wide immunity to disliking volcanic terrain.

:doh: I'f i'd just moused over that funny looking magma forge once in the last 50 turns life would have been sooo much easier.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I've got a situation here where building things is making my empire unhappy. I'm not rushing or anything, but if I queue up a building in any city it gives me -100 empire happiness. It doesn't happen with units or merch,mana, ect. Is this normal and I've somehow never noticed it before?

Incidentally I feel that the one failing of the AoW UI is not having a breakdown of empire happiness, the game does such a great job of making all other mechanics transparent, and I love it for it. But I'd kill to be able to see what factors are effecting my empire happiness and how long they will last, since it's such an important factor.

E: gently caress, I just found where you hid the empire happiness breakdown :argh: Turns out it was a +100 for having 1k gold on hand being removed.

E E: Well how about this one then?

"In turn 95, while in the void, the throne city of Reskar Scapeshaper was captured by Reskar Scapeshaper" I tAke it this means his throne was taken, but his forces retook it the same turn but it was too late?

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 26, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It's no :(

I found a dragon den underground when I had earth mastery. I was very saddened to find I couldn't cheer up some dragons.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Anyone know when it's likely to come out on GoG? Also has it been announced if Golden realms will go on sale to celebrate release?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Not on steam anyway

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Patch is up on GoG, no sign of the expansion yet though. Maybe in 13 minutes?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Available on GoG too now. With sale of Golden Relams as well, thanks guys.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Again!

Uh, i was worried about this. Still cant launch the editor! :ohdear:

Pressing the button does nothing!

Seems to work fine for me, GoG version though so maybe it's broke on steam?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is anyone else having serious difficulty keeping tier 1 and 2 tigran units alive? I'm probably just being a bad, but although they are good offensively they are just sooo squashy. Combined with the AI's obsession with getting a kill at any cost and I can't even clear out basic treasure sites without loosing a unit. Usually only one, but it's still really hurting. The other thing I'm noticing is you have to wait to heal to full with tigrans before attacking, and that can take 2 or 3 turns before you get a hero with the strategic healing skill.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Splicer posted:

Always worth mentioning: building a city on a fort nets you a free stone wall.

*Free wooden wall, unless you paid to upgrade the fort to a stone fort.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Make it so it reveals x random fight(s) per turn (over a certain threshold of hp lost), and the HP lost (or a percentage thereof) is evenly distributed across your units, or maybe just the wounded ones. Helps you get over the initial bump and keep a stack or so topped up, but in the long run the healing is negligible and you are probably better using the mana elsewhere and cancelling it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think he means that they suck up any gold and mana from sites in their domain. And also knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Oh ya, I'm a dummy.

One 'hiddenish' mechanic that everyone trips on accidentally are border constraints though. I still don't know the arcane formulas used here but if cities/fort borders collide, then cities will grow slower due to a constraint penalty. It's really annoying sometimes and I honestly just ignore it when it occasionally comes up when an AI city is like 2 spots away from a perfect spot. I'll still drop a fort juuuust outside of its borders to pick up an extra dungeon or something and eat the penalty. No idea what's optimal in that situation because usually those cities are already pretty much peaked out anyway.

As far as I can see, a city needs the same number of tiles for it's size if it had no upgrades to not be constrained. So if you end up constrained, build a wall or a palace or an observatory that will push your domain out more on the other side of the city and you should loose the constrained status.

• Locked thread