Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Can anyone offer advice for random map play vs computers? I'm an okay CIV V player (I can do King and Emperor if I stretch myself.) I steamrolled my first game on Knight because I wound up fairly isolated and teched my Dwarf Sorcerer up to constant Eldritch Horror summons to the point that I abandoned the game after swallowing up my neighbors because the slog was too much. I didn't even see enemy tier IV units: their biggest threat were those Elven Gryphon riders.

Then I rolled a Goblin Druid and got stuck with virtually no viable expansion areas. Am I being too picky with my expansion? I tend to only settle if I can find two or three good nodes or mines or whatever next to each other, and mostly gain land from completing quests or through warfare. Am I Doing It Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Slammed hard last night as a fabulous Elven Druid. Whoever said Vengeful Vines was the most impressive spell in the game wasn't kidding. Between that and my summoned shock eels and Horned Gods I was a siege machine without any kind of actual siege equipment. I will note that in the last three games I've played I've found boots of useless whateverwalk in something like 95% of my loot drops. The other drops have been five unicorn mounts, a warg mount, and a soup that gave my caster dragon breath.

Elven Hunters are so good as to be almost ridiculous. I had a couple units of those that I built early game that last the whole game long.

Highlights of that game include defending a city with 5 dragon archers versus like 10 or so infantry that just refused to clump up and learning that I can pretty much use walls + elven archers as Good Enough defense against any non-flying threat.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Kanos posted:

Being neither of these or a dreadnought basically means you have to brute force them, which means you will take retarded losses. They're terribly not fun to fight in any capacity(unless you're dwarves, in which case you can simply walk over them).

Wizards' tier 4 Eldritch Horror has spirit immunity and will absolutely destroy the things + they're summons so you can be pumping out chaff units while you constantly get the horrors up. Can't help with Warrior yet though - that's next on my list to play.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Different races (and individual units of other races, like the fey and elementals and giant and all that) have terrain preferences that you can see by mousing over the icon in the unit screen that looks like a drama mask.
If you want to see if a town likes the terrain it's in, hover over the drama mask on the right side of the town name display.

Each race has different preferences, with elves loving dense vegetation, goblins bein' alright with blight, that sort of thing.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This game is perfect in every way except that I can't have an ice empire that constantly billows forth from my cities and also summon ice elementals. ~my immersion~

FAKE EDIT: Also are monsters harder underground? I had a dwarf empire that simply could not get off the ground in one game where I started underground and failed to expand in any meaningful way owing to the dozens of threats around me, then started another game where I forgot to tick the underground box and am now king Dwarf of the world. Is that just the RNG? I'm playing on Lord if that helps.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 8, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
On the subject of Things We Love about this game, I'm just now finishing a Dwarf Theocrat game and, since this is the second to last class for me to try, I'm really beginning to notice the cool ways that each class has dealing with the end game. It does feel like your race/class combo really makes your play extremely different.

Warlords build some siege equipment but don't need to build a whole lot because (for me) they build so much cavalry and manticores that sieges had a sort of blitz feel to them: I was more involved with flanking the enemy and destroying their archers using high level flying units as shock troops to while my guys broke down the front walls.

My dreadnaught didn't build siege equipment because his class machines were good enough, and probably had the easiest early game aggression against neutrals because of his spy drones and their ability to blow up walls. Even with a mana core up, it was easy to summon one every turn to do something with.

The theocrat, though, desperately needs siege equipment because so much of his kit is based around buffing a swarm of smaller units. I began churning out martyr swarms to buff my shrines and more powerful First Borns. Plus, once the shrines are out, you commit to a slow play style that centers around a flotilla of devout infantry and ranged units shepherding the shrine so that it can tear apart larger enemy units, with the Exalted functioning as skirmishing units that hit the flanks. (and building for siege early is good because his Tier IV benefits from the experience buff that the master's guild gives to siege.)

The Druid didn't even need one siege machine. Between shock serpents, Horned Gods, and Vengeful Vines, there wasn't a city that could stand in his way. The druid's animal buffs are insane and make even those little boars and wargs you get from liberating level one farms really useful in the early game.

My sorcerer was pre-patch, which makes such a huge difference that I don't feel like I have a good grasp on that play style anymore, but that army felt a lot more mobile. Plus having Tier II infantry with levitate and a good portion of physical resistance means that anyone who isn't ready to counter you will take heavy losses. EDIT: In the early game, anyway. By late game phantom warriors are still useful but tend to be taken apart by the large amount of elemental damage flying around.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 9, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Gerblyn, is there any chance that you're going to implement Steam Workshop support in this soon? Someone is going to make a map of Super Mario World eventually and I will literally die if I don't know about it the moment it happens.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 9, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Taear posted:

But exalted can fly! I can't say I built even one siege machine.

It may be important to note that I was playing a dwarf, and that I found that first borns were lasting a lot longer in battles (versus a draconian warlord and fire-aspected human warlor.) I used exalted as flankers but used the first born as a front line. Against manticore riders I found that exalted tended to die quickly.

Triskelli I think Mario has to be a warlord versus a dreadnaught draconian Bowser and a sorcerer draconian Kamek. A lot of dragons, actually, in Mario-ville if you make Yoshi a draconian too. Koopalings can probably be goblins tho'. (Also the monty moles need to be dwarves)

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 9, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The neutral races own bones and the happiest day of my life was spearheading an human warlord army's assault onto some rear end in a top hat goblin's base with a golden dragon.

Second happiest: running an all-toadstool fairy strike force behind enemy lines as a way to mop up a troublesome leader's cities. T1 and T2 defenders can't do poo poo against toadstool's magic.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I like Dwarf sorcerers because their front line is very sturdy and their support units are good enough to really benefit from the support upgrade sorcerers offer.

Plus I like being arbitrarily against fantasy type whenever possible.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Draconian Archdruid is tight because you have so many different elemental damages available to you. I wish that more of the types had an "enemy units are weak to your damage type" spell.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Anyone have more in-depth information on the new Partisan specializion, Wild magic, or non-halfing and Naga units for those of us stuck at work?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I love how Wild Magic lets you play everything from a sorcerer with little to no regard to the quality of their summons, to a Dreadnought conducting "experiments" on his troops and machines, to a WAAGH style orc warlord leader.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hobbit druids seem really good. One with Nature and the Overgrowth spell can let you turn any fight into a dodgefest.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Mosquito darters are amazing at taking out fortified enemies.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
We don't have any idea as to what any of the actual ideas for units are or what their unique mechanics are, or how the actual specific numbers (which is where mechanics actually work, not in the general) of the undead cities will play out. Calling anything unbalanced at this point is a little premature, to put it lightly.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Goblins won't have any issues with the blight that the necromancers will presumably be spreading, unlike a majority of the races.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Honestly Voyager you just pretty much need to decide on what kind of hero you want it to be and build accordingly. If you need a big strong fighty hero build that with +stats and class-specific buffs (warrior and rogue do this well) if you need +army buffs then you can use a theocrat or druid for this, if you need more magic build a sorcerer like that. The only real important thing is to build your main hero with enough resists that they can't be sniped out by enemy spells when you deploy them in an army.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The dartgun is just there to emphasize the fact that rogues are built for backstabbing /flanking, not for shooting.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

Well if every ranged weapon has some benefit to it that gives you a reason to pick it up (damage type, ranged bonuses, mobility, burst damage), why should there be one ranged weapon that's just bad compared to all the others?

The ranged weapon used by warriors is also strictly worse than the other ranged weapons available. Just like the theocrat and mage getting weapons that are strictly better in situation circumstances, these weapons are designed to guide players into understanding the way a given class is meant to be used.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That's why you can always grab another ranged weapon from a killed enemy hero or a dungeon. If rogues started with a good ranged weapon in addition to their incredible potential for melee damage, they would be overpowered relative to other classes. Any class can be built in any given way, but the fact that they are all oriented toward certain niches is what gives them balance in context of "what hero do I hire" decisions. (This is not perfect in the game, but it is definitely a design element.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I was playing this yesterday and it just sorta felt like a slog. The systems and all that were fine, but I swear there needs to be more options to just make everything faster. I already skip movement animations, but being able to accelerate my own turn in combat would be fantastic. And set that as a default somewhere so I don't have to hit the fast forward button every combat (I was playing Theocrat and needed to do some converting, which is why I was manually controlling the combat).

Likewise, managing units on the overworld becomes a chore since every time I hit End Turn, it asks whether or not I want to ACTUALLY end turn or go back and use up the movement points of all the units that had routes set. This is especially bad when I'm managing like a billion Cherubs to be my eyes over the entire (medium sized) map.

I really want to like this game but god it feels tedious in a way that reminds me of the last like 20 turns in a Civ game. Am I missing something?

Also I feel like I never cast spells in combat because my time is almost always better spent murdering something instead. Is this normal? This may just be because Theocrats don't actually get many good combat spells, though.

Depending on your difficulty level you might not have to cast spells in combat, but if you play on higher levels you'll notice the ened for using every tool teh game gives you.

Don't play on medium, play on small and over-stuff the map with 4 or 5 CPU opponents.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Can you cast defensive enchants on forts? That could greatly increase their utility under certain situations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The issue with "growing tall instead of wide" is that height in an unconstrained resource whereas width isn't, metaphorically speaking. There is a natural constraint to how wide a given civilization can grow in AoW3 - the other players. Giving users the option to grow tall instead of wide lets them bypass what is ultimately the core mechanic of the game, that land means power. This is what ultimately lead to many of the problems inherent within the Civilzation V games and part of what caused Civilization: BE to get such bad press from most users.

This is one element where forum whining simply doesn't benefit developers. The developers are trying to balance and finely hone the game they made, and the community is trying to make it into a different kind of game. I can see the (limited) use for a builder spec, but I think that most of the requests would actually reduce micro in a given turn come down to UI improvements, not game design. (Although I would like for resources like gold mines to be more important.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I feel like Gerblyn is a one-man army of talent and game design that makes Age of Wonders III as good as it is.

Side note: can anyone speak to the balance or lack thereof in Endless Legend? Its approach to diplomacy is interesting, and I understand that the combat is far inferior to AoW, but does it work as more of a peacenik's game?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Are any of the changes listed directed at making optimal city building less of a matter of slamming down towns and more about finding good placements?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It seems pretty realistic for a buncha fireborn to live on a fire mana node imho. What happens when an enemy player is the same race as you?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The most noble of all of the classes is the thief. They inspire the citizens of other lands to join their cause and to take arms against the despots that control them.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Can some saintly soul post the major changes to races here? I'm desperately trying to have a productive work from home day.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Not getting early levels seems like punishment enough. Plus, you're exaggerating how much an army gets "beat up." If you're playing well in the first place you won't lose units to kobolds on gold mines. Then its only a few short turns to full health in most cases.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
But you can play around with the new nearly-indestructible dwarves if that's your thing. Guard all day everyday.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Are you going to fix the betrayals before you launch?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Axemen are an incredibly hardy front line.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Bought it, thanks again for my favorite game of 2014!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Honestly the thing that most excites me about this expansion is the idea of playing a Grey Guard human dreadnought with the biggest possible "gently caress you wizards" attitude.

Also my first playthrough was human necromancer shadowborn and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Play as frostlings or tigrans, then. They're more interesting anyway.

• Locked thread