Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I noticed hospitals and master workshops will heal organic/machine units even if the city is occupied and not being productive. I wish harbors would repair ships or if the city has a master workshop. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Tomn posted:

They don't? I'm pretty sure my ships were healing fine on a city with a master workshop. On the tile just next to the central tile?

That said, having harbors heal ships would be fantastic. The need to build master workshops just to heal ships makes investing in a navy even more of a marginal decision than it is.

I didn't know that they healed things adjacent to the city, I thought they had to be on the central hex! :monocle:

Onto another issue, it seems like you can't remove or settle on razed dwellings, although it'd be nice to somehow bring them back, they can have nice sites in their vicinity and the dwelling site gets in the way.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Are specialization spells in a good place? Class spells naturally ramp up and heroes don't interfere with your research priorities which in my mind puts them ahead. It seems tough to justify getting a master specialization for a single spell like firestorm or earthquake when a archdruid can cast vengeful vines or a dreadnought's mana nuke, you just need them in your loot-grabbing roaming parties and they have army bonuses too good to pass up. Class spells even dominate the cheap spell field like steadfast ward, moving target or sphere of protection.
The opportunity cost of leveling up heroes and using them primarily for their spells and passive bonuses (which have no equal beyond other heroes) is far less than choosing a master specialization over two adept ones that would have spells suited for the early game until your heroes find their footing.

I'm not really sure what I was expecting, that you could research an improved versions of combat spells, that there were more spells/a world enchantment for master specs or if the specs would give unique temporary buffs to the different mana nodes that you could collect with an army. In the latter case there seems to be definite room for improvement as they provide a special effect on fights on that hex but that's it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

What exactly did you do there to get such a ridiculous amount of damage from a single hit from an exalted?

Besides flanking, there's Bloodbath (+5 melee strength to friendly units), Holy War (+10 spirit damage to all friendly Devout units), Armageddon (+80% spirit weakness to all enemy empires) then very likely Sacred Arms from his theocrat hero which can add another 2-4 spirit damage.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Also being able to sell an item for some pocket change would be awesome. I greatly enjoy the courier option, it is much better than the old teleport instantly for cost imo. Gerblyn's sweet avatar aside, ending up with 50 wands/muskets/mounts in your backpack feels silly.

A sell item button would be really nice, the AI will trespass onto your domain to pick up items which can be abused somewhat to eliminate them from the game early if they do it with their leader. :v: I wish you could directly courier item forge equipment without needing a garrison but I suppose you shouldn't leave cities without garrisons.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Kanos posted:

I can't get my head around how you're supposed to approach playing rogue. I understand the core gimmick(flood map with backstabbing irregulars) and I know how to trigger flank chains in tactical, it's just that the early game feels horrible. Scoundrels aren't the worst combat units but they're so fragile that I despair of getting any of them evolved into assassins and they fall apart the moment you run into anything with a half-decent ranged attack.

What's the strategy, here?

Is this a campaign problem? I've had no problems shoring up early game rogue play with racial units for elves, orcs and dwarves in scenarios and the campaign. I had the roughest time with the dwarves because I don't particularly like their lineup besides firstborn (which I can often get from inns). Carefully managing damage with melee units so they tie up enemy units is key so you get both attacks of opportunity and flanking shots.

If it's against AI, you don't always have to move up immediately, I rather utilize terrain than get in as many shots as possible so that when their archer units can attack, they will likely only fire once or get a ranged penalty and be within melee range on your turn.

I try not to have more than 2 scoundrels without a assassin or racial cavalry but typically you can use sprint to engage a archer unit in combat while someone with xbows gets a close range shot. If they try to disengage, they're probably dead. Scoundrels are fairly cheap (it's manageable to trade 1:1 a little bit early on) but I like them as much as human civic guard and how you can get some mileage out of the scouting units, wargs or hound summons tying up units for you.
Scoundrels and assassins are really good units for their tier and you have bards to try pick up good units off independents. You might have a hard time attacking 3-4 units of other classes but you're more than capable stopping them from reaching that.

Really I don't see how much harder rogue is than sorceror who can't do their gimmick early on and rely on their racial units.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 21, 2014

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

It's weird - I know a lot of this stuff logically but somehow when I play a rogue it never actually comes into effect. Using weak units like civic guards/scoundrels etc they tend to like you said get at most 1 kill and then die, leading to wasted time running back to replace them, making me favor other units instead. Gold medal ones are pretty good, but gold medal anythings tend to be pretty good, but they still die from a stiff breeze.

Comparing stat to stat, a scoundrel iirc has essentially identical stats to a human civic guard plus sabotage and sprint. Sprint is good for heroes who are durable and need to survive no matter what, meaning it's useful for escape, but an irregular isn't important enough to sprint away to live in most cases, and sprinting to the target is good for getting yourself murdered without a single attack. Sabotage is good, but only really against dreadnoughts, though I suppose some sort of suicide squad of scoundrels to blow up a wall could work.

I suppose they have a somewhat stronger start than sorcerer, but apprentices are really rather lethal, wisps will utterly murder anything of tier 1 or 2 that requires melee, and would still have a chance of stunning a tier 3, and with a sorcerer I usually end up betting on the completely unstoppable lategame if at all possible - chaos rift is probably the best spell in the game, and static electricity is probably in the top five combat spells, while eldritch horrors are some of the most flexible, useful and powerful tier 4s around.

I really can't see fault with the civic guards or scoundrels if you are doing 1:1 trades all the time. You shouldn't be losing a irregular with a ranged attack often at all (I really do mean a little bit) very early on unless you're rushing a outpost and it has a support and a archer which happens sometimes (human outposts with a halberdier, archer and priest are rough with 3-4 units). I don't let them get focused when you can use shielded infantry, cavalry and terrain to create line of sight penalties or take the fire themselves. They're not there to replace archers in firepower or frontline troops in resilience in fight with full stacks.

My strategy for taking out archers against the AI is pulling their melee units away in such a manner that they're only able to land a single volley or they suffer LoS penalties firing through an allied units or long range penalties. Against independents in gold mines, flowstone quarries, farms and magma forges, it is really easy to funnel melee units and isolate the archers. Two scoundrels can eliminate an archer unit from max distance without losses if one unit is close enough to do a no-penalty xbow shot while the other one pops sprint and reaches either their left or right side then guards. That prevents flanking shots and guarantees they won't die from 2-3 volleys.
The archer unit will almost always move away so they can shoot thus giving the sprint'd scoundrel an attack of opportunity and meaning you can xbow them the next turn with the low health scoundrel unit and switch their roles and tie up a second archer or support unit without loss. Goblins with their -5 hp would probably die which why I quite like orcs.

I've never used sprint on heroes because I don't commit them to fights they might die, unicorn sires are good enough for me and of course I don' send them in first in a siege fight. I really like sprint on normal units because it's on irregulars who beat support or archer units in melee damage, it doesn't stop them from getting attacks of opportunity while dodging enemy attacks of opportunity. That's one free hit tying up a ranged unit when other infantry units would be out of reach.

On a side note as sorceror I don't use apprentices if I can use human/orc priests or storm sisters instead, I can get them sooner without waiting for research wisp then produce apprentice. They still benefit from school of enchantment+teleportation too. I specifically mention early game because a sorceror won't have anything higher than phantasm warriors or combat spells better than fireball or magic fist on top of limited mana and casting points so they rely more on their racial units than the other classes in my opinion.

victrix posted:

The spell per turn limit in tac combat is kind of annoying me, just because it's pushing less overtly powerful spells into the 'never gonna get used ever' bin.

Between limited casting points and limited spell throughput, you absolutely want to get the most value for your spell cast each time, and that means that spells that might have a useful or interesting tactical effect but aren't outright game changers move from marginal to almost useless.

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but there has to be a better way of handling it.

Maybe moving spells into various categories (attack, healing, buff, debuff, summon, etc), and letting you cast a spell from each category each turn or something.

Or not letting you cast the same spell more than once per turn. Or giving each spell a limit on the number of times it can be cast in combat period, with powerful spells having less casts than more utilitarian effects.

But whatever the answer might be, the current system feels like it's drowning a lot of neat game content.

I really wished you could get around the 1 spell per turn limit through research. Obviously the big spells should be restricted. King's Bounty had a elegant mechanic where 'Higher Magic' let you cast additional times per turn as long as the spell doesn't exceed a certain limit. You could cast boons and low damage single target spells 2-3 times or use one powerful spell. It took a lot of investment so I don't think it'd be overpowered if it was available by the time you could cast most of your +25CP battlefield spells.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Currently feeling like the Druid class is just a crappier version of Sorcerer. Same summon reliant playstyle, worse summons, less reliable summons. Cool.

Also, I'm playing on the Beta Patch that's currently out. Someone remind me what a Gold Mine is worth without it, for reference? I'm trying to determine how much they've changed it, if at all.

Gold mines are 10+ and +15 with a dreadnought passive.

The druid class has stuff that should be available to all classes to make their non-class racial units better. Bleeding attacks (upgrade razorbows to do crippling), increased movement and favored enemy would help give T1-2 an edge over the higher tiers with research. As the trump card of druids though they're underwhelming, you'd need to make all of their racial and non-animal units significantly better over other classes before they can compete with warlords or sorcerors.

As is, their best gimmick is that they can make all their units floating so you can spam earthquake, which like all the other master specializations, still isn't worth getting over two adept specs for the early game in my experience.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Korwin posted:

btw. where do I find the Soundtrack?

It's in your game folder, for steam it'll be in Steam>steamapps>common>AoW3.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

It looks like heroes who die and get resurrected via resurrect hero lose any leftover hero points they had. Also it seems mind controlling the independent heroes who spawn near cities gives you zero points to assign. I thought I'd steal a level 5 theocrat hero that just spawn on a AI's throne city to give a stack some army bonuses but he's useless. :(

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

The level 5 heroes who spawn have already had their points spent, I think. I'll look into resurging heroes losing skill points though, I don't think that's supposed to happen...

My last save is too far away for me to replicate MC'ing a newly spawned independent hero sadly.

I specifically mean resurrecting dead heroes with the avatar spell and not resurgence though. In my last game I had a arch-druid whom I saved up points for druidry so he could cast vengeful vines. He later died and when I brought him back (after the RNG finally gave me resurrect hero) he was missing the three points I left unassigned. It was all the more telling because I got a second arch-druid at level 5 with enough points for all his skills plus extra stats.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Taliesyn posted:

I think the idea is that if you're getting bonuses from half the nodes on the map thanks to taking 3 different adept spheres, it can really add up, especially in smaller, faster matches where you're not likely to research (much less use) the master-level spells.

Even then, I'm not it makes that much of a difference. Planting cities takes up time and gold and focusing on expanding can cripple you if you neglect building up your armies, especially when the AI loves to pick on unprotected or poorly defended cities. Alternatively if you take the time to trundle a builder over, I think you probably earn it. Mana nodes aren't exactly a priority (even as a sorceror) when I could grab +gold or treasure sites instead.

Granting some kind of bonus for mastery specs would be nice though. I like the idea of shrines providing periodic buffs, maybe allow passing armies to receive an 'attunement' buff where they get elementally charged weapons for a battle? If that's too much, they could radiate their battlefield effect to the surrounding hexes in your domain or let you construct a thematically appropriate defense tower for that city or garrison.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Bridges! :toot:

Steadfast ward and double stunning storm sisters were both a little too good, personally. The racial theming of class units is also neat, triumph needs to announce an expansion so I can give them money already.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

A small thing that's annoying is that move orders will always choose the shortest route even if it passes a faction who you don't have a open borders agreement with. The army will get stuck trying to enter the territory every turn until you change their move order. I wish it's ignore routes going through neutral domain like civ, it should be up to the player to notice their army is taking a longer way around. Sometimes I get fed up paying for open borders that I end up razing the offending city to the ground.

I wonder if it counts as urban renewal if I put a road on top of their ruins. :v:

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 27, 2014

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

I would pay cash money just for a necromancer class.

This expansion looks amazing. It is going to be a long 667 hours till it releases.

Someone mentioned there were new poses, backgrounds, hats, etc for hero creation which might secretly be one of my favorite bits of content. Making a warlord or wizard is that much more satisfying when you can personalize them.

I would pay $5 for a hero customisation pack, firaxis knew exactly what I wanted from XCOM 2012.

playing pretty princess

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

I have no idea what the rules for "Seduce" are, it's all a big vague in that area. In the next patch a lot of monsters (including hell hounds) are reclassified as animals though. Having Archdruid heroes is fantastic, since you wander around slowly accumulating your own personal zoo to fight for you.

Now that you mentioned it, archdruid heroes that attract friendly animals once in a while would be a neat idea!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Even if moving armies during a battle on the map is something the devs wants to avoid, being able to do empire management would be nice. The option to change city build queues, research items, strategic spells, create magic items or even plan automoves for the next turn could reduce some of tedium.

e: I was hoping in the video above they'd tweak pathfinding so that the game will always try to offer a path first that won't lead to trepassing so that it's up to players to manually choose like how it works in civ (albeit a DoW window).

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 13, 2014

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

a!n posted:

Maybe making it so a engaging in a battle depletes all movement points and making tactical battles resolve at the end of the turn when all players have pressed end turn would make for a more fluid experience? The following turn would only start when every tactical battle is done. It's just an idea and could negatively affect map movement, but yeah.

The other solution would be to merge tactical and strategic maps somehow, which might be an idea for a future game.

Endless legend actually does this, army combat is resolved through tactical fights on the world map, with nearby armies gradually funnelled through reinforcement points to avoid occupying the entire combat area.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Thyrork posted:

How is Endless Legend anyway?

It's an interesting blend 4X mechanics that comes together rather well. It has hexes, tile output and resources like civ but it has tactical combat and seasons. Each race only has a few unit designs (there are minor races to assimilate) but you're supposed to gear them up like fallen enchantress. Tech tree is grouped into circles where you only need a few to progress to the next era.

Graphic wise it's a really vibrant game, tiles changing between new seasons is great eyecandy. The UI could use extra polish though, a city screen would be nice. Overall EL will probably get unfavourable comparisons to civ (like AoW3) despite the latter having a tactical complexity of a pool noodle.

On that note I feel like it would be thematically fitting to have sun sacrifice to ignore winter in your domain or be able to inflict weather events like frog rains in EL. That might be the side-effects of dominions on my brain however. :tinfoil:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I have to say chasing down settler units as animals keep appearing on the field under tower fire is a little annoying. I really wish settler units didn't count towards 'combat units'.

I rushed to thorned gods as a halfing druid on my first GR match and got summon phoenix as a reward. A great tactic I discovered was Wild Magic's Swap using phoenixes to grab their T4. Combined with Pandemonium or Warped Equipment, you can decapitate the heavy hitters in the enemy army and handle multiple stacks with unit kills each turn.

The mass mutation spell is a little hit and miss since about 1/3 of the time you get negative bonuses, the -400 morale debuff is painful for halfing units, lucky works on virtually all enemy abilities. There's a mutation which grants a cone weaken attack which is rather useful.

A very neat expansion overall, Gerblyn. I like the new music too. :3:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Kanos posted:

Wing Flap is a tiny little AoE(3 hex only) that seems dependent on enemies stacking up to be really noticeable, though. In direct combat they lose to a lot of T2s.

You have access to jesters, you pay a premium for being able to fly over and attack support units or wing beat enemies that do stack up on one eagle rider. That is a completely viable tactic since you have Lucky and access to Brew Brothers. In almost any situation, you can move them in a line forward. Wild magic is nice because you can take the bite off from physical weakness and stack it even further with Warped Equipment, which can't be dispelled.

Halfling druid is very strong, as is sorceror because apprentices are great and summons can plug in deficiencies.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Voyager I posted:

So how do multiracial empires and armies work in this game? It seems like the inherent alignment of most races is gone to match the decoupling of cultural orientation, so there's nothing stopping you from, say, taking over a foreign city and then pumping out Elven Longbowmen with Orcish Greatswords as their front liners.

Independent cities and cities belonging to your enemies can have different alignments to yours, altering how quickly it takes for them to be absorbed into your empire. Units which are Dedicated to Good or Evil are heavily dependent on your empire's alignment, no racial units have these modifiers. There are no inherent alignments with any race except dragons. You can meet good orc cities as regularly as evil high elf ones. Archon Revenants and Giants can be neutral or even friendly.

Voyager I posted:

A question: are passive stat bonuses like Armored or racial modifiers baked into the displayed attributes of a unit, or are they an additional effect? Ie, looking at the wiki, a Dwarven Axeman has a displayed value of 11 armor, along with the Armored passive and an inherent +1 Armor for being a Dwarf. Are those already included in the 11 displayed armor value, or is it just the racial bonus baked in (meaning 13 actual armor), or is it neither (14 armor)?

What you see is what you get. The defense and resistance rating on the unit page is as it says, the exception being shields (which is +2 defense to non-flanking attacks) and putting a unit into guard mode.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 25, 2014

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

You can always, you know, have another stack nearby when doing dungeons. Any units lost from the independents stack stay that way. If your whole gimmick is that you can throw down some bones for little cost, you can whittle things down through attrition.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Those independents will also level off murdering a whole stack of stuff, this is only really a viable strategy for low tier dungeons with the weakest guard strength setting. You could throw ten bajillion zombies at a dungeon that has a dragon in it and just feed him experience every time. Maybe you could beat him by inflating his hp so much with champion ranks it would overflow and crash the game? This isn't even counting enemies with regrowth (trolls are very common guards) or god forbid resurgence like phoenixes.

Disposable trash is awesome but they definitely need something less crap mixed in as options. It would still be a cool defining playstyle even if not every unit worked that way. It would also make the disposable units feel that much weaker and the stronger units feel that much stronger, so it would make the flavor of the class that much more distinct. The most interesting part of the game tends to be battles with tier 1&2 units already due to lack of variety in tiers 3&4. High tier units for every race and class just tend to be vastly better for cost so once you can field them there is no reason not to do so, but having them give a bonus to lower tiers as was suggested means a necro will probably field more efficient armies by having one higher tier with a stack of trash. This would still give them the option of bulking up a stack for a tough fight, but they would be encouraged not to simply spam them to the exclusion of all else like the other classes.

:confused: I have had no problems killing a few T3 or T4 with T1&2 units and mopping up with an actual stack or just a hero or two. Dragons are even easier to deal with because you can bait a breath attack and kill it in two and occasionally one turn through the wonders of flanking and exhausted action points. So ruins, wizard towers, boneyards, dungeons and hard city quests can be cleared through attrition right now; even if you can't clear phoenixes from that ziggurat, that's still pretty good unit economy if the map isn't at T3 spam yet.

The bottom line is that based off the relatively small differences between the tiers of racial and class units, triumph is hardly going to make the most likely contender for disposable chaff actually worthless against other classes and strong independents.
Goblins lend themselves to be incredibly spammable and they only have slight difficulties against undead or machines despite being so 'fragile' (-5 hp and 1-2 less def/res to comparable races). A stack of spy drones (spamming of which never hurts) can perform assassination duties rather well is another example.

The improved debuffs and numerous means of morale loss available now already allow high tier units to be taken down a notch. The necro would a perfect platform to have ways of reducing resistance and facilitate nasty debuffs, fear and morale loss. Combined with burning AP through retaliation on throwaway units, it would allow mediocre units to perform admirably without needing to rush T3/4 or carry with your racial units. Dazzle and wild magic has proven to be a fantastic equaliser with low tier units. Given enough resist shred, cursing and other miladies, hopefully the necro can be as good at tactical fights as wild magic.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

My point is that you are equating current, non-lovely tier 1s that actually have a hope of getting kills with the idea of lovely units that don't, and are just there to take hits. If the whole army list is cannon fodder and you have no cannons of your own you aren't going to be making a lot of progress. Even if you get new free cannon fodder you would need progressively larger amounts without having to pay upkeep on them to match the experienced, not-dying troops other players are going to have. Experience costs nothing to upkeep.

If the cannon fodder get back up in combat like they did in shadow magic then they would be hilariously fun to use. That would really fit the feeling of burying enemies under a slow but inevitable tide of bodies, and if any dead cannon fodder got back up during/after the fight you wouldn't be losing out on the experience from the fight either. You'd still want some units that can dish out the pain, though. If every unit on the roster is "crappy but cheap" you'd end getting boned in any fight where you're facing even odds. This usually means important city fights that decide the outcome of a game, since the amount of stacks that can come into the fight is limited and there won't be a second wave of stacks involved if the city falls. The "reverse theocrat" vibe others mentioned sounded like a cool way of making support and/or higher tier necro units unique and interesting.

No, I can't say I have. You seem to think that disposable chaff means a unit must be literally half as effective as archon revenants or goblin mauraders and that a current tier 1 unit could kill 2 skellies/zombies by themselves for cost. I define disposable chaff as something I don't expect to hit elite but one or two units may exceed expectations. I don't think necro should be a case of 'conjure 4 entire stacks of T1 necro units and lose 3 to take a city with no walls' or a total meatgrinder that everyone else or your race units can avoid.
I am not suggesting T1 undead to be like dominions ermor. If the necro has to pay 4/8 gold/mana a turn for these types of units (barring universal volunteer or no upkeep on necro units), triumph [b]will make them pull weight[b] because they must be competitive with other classes.

As I have already mentioned, the necro could have support units that can degrade the enemy's effectiveness, this can start as soon as T2 ala orc priests where you throw curses and other debuffs that hurt their def/res, morale, remove AP and let your melee do its work.

You could have a 'bomb' buff you can cast on a undead unit that causes it to explode and a chance to stun organic units {not effective against magical origin/machines) and just like the current stun, you have to shred their res to affect higher tier units.
You could have research that gives extra damage to undead infantry when they can Overwhelm shield/pikes or attack units that can't retaliate.

This still leaves room for potent support units at higher tiers or a lynchpin combatant unit like shadow stalkers yet also for racial units to receive buffs and play a role like druid early on. And those high tier units could be more vulnerable compared to same tier units but have army enhancing abilities like mentioned by Chomp8645 and Lassitude.
They could have a passive ability that shifts incoming damage to a nearby undead unit but only when they're stay close, thus giving a distinct weakness to AoE. They could be some kind of abomination like the Naga Glutton and regain health by taking it from another undead unit.

Just because something is disposable doesn't mean you can't enhance or even the playing field with undead flavored debuffs. If necro turns out to be mostly worthless units that are inefficient at cost compared to same tier units, no one is going to play one. I have suggested enemy degradation as a mechanic that the necro support units could focus, it can synergize well with army enhancing support units already mentioned here.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 28, 2014

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Inflicting morale debuffs and doing extra damage to units that are debuffed? Sounds like I was right on the money!

I wonder if Strong Will will grant immunity to despair and will Break Control/Cure Diease get more usage dispelling necro flavoured debuffs. It'd be nasty if there was an super plague that is uncurable like Warped Equipment and spreads like Disgusted. :gonk:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Current thinking is to give them a minor nerf and then make them buildable from the T2 class building.

I think the problem is that ranged units and most racial units will do very little unless they exploit flanking and that spirit and blight straight up don't work. They're slightly more expensive than firstborn, just as good (though missing wall climb), get tireless straight off the bat and if you pile onto one you're asking to be flamed.

I think if golems got defender instead of tireless at recruit and had their resist lowered to 10, they could still be kept in the T1 building. They take more damage when attacking, their resist will match the defense of engineers and musketeers and the foundry is still nicely rounded with one utility, ranged and melee unit.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

madmac posted:

Very good. The new race and campaign are nice, but the real draw is just all the random structures/spells/creatures/mechanics they added, IMO. It's a whole bunch of small to medium content additions that adds up to make the game feel a lot fresher.

It certainly refreshes a lot of the existing mechanics, I like the new loot and empire quests the most. Roided druid phoenixes are total wrecking balls. :getin:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

In the King's Bounty remake, skeletons can scatter bones around the battlefield and use them to teleport. I think necros from KB could even raise more skeletons from the piles. I was thinking if there was a necro skill that litters the field with dead bodies (Mongol style :black101:) for dastardly necro purposes, you could allow spells/abilities to do with corpse exploitation to see use outside of multi-stack battles. It could even be the necro's instant spell, lobbing dead bodies at an army to demoralize it and do minor damage.

Whispers of the fallen is a neat concept but fairly situational as it will compete with traditional scouting and the utility from having scouts steal buffs or unguarded treasure. If it's cheap to upkeep, then there's no reason not to have it activated all the time like some of the rogue strategic spells and it's just an opportunity cost to choose it over other class spells.

Plague could be decent but impairing growth won't be as detrimental as tanking city+garrison morale or directly affecting city output. Population does not translate directly to output like other 4X games.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The way the Defensive Strike is framed, attacking once then going into guard mode, it should be a costly investment. It almost entirely removes the cost of being out of position when attacking. Being slow is one thing but ranged attacks fall off big time if you're not within whacking range and it's not too hard to funnel the enemy or put obstacles between you and ranged units. The damage trade could potentially be significant.

Which units get it will be a big deal, deepguard or boar riders getting it would give them an edge over other racial equivalents. Then again, Victory Rush stacks nicely with Fast Healing on orc scoundrels who snowball quickly with corrupted killers. Class units could end up with Defensive Strike too...

I just hope there'll be clear-cut situations where it's simply not feasible to use Defensive Strike or require prioritising spells on your units over nuking.
It should really make Swap or AP restoring skills more appealing to players. Quick Dash is already nice to add another backstab but I don't get any mileage from Killing Spree or Revitalise.

On a broad note, I think it's awesome that there will be more distinctions between races and specialisations. Converting nodes to stack your research? High elf sorcerors are going to love that! :swoon:

I always liked how in Civilization that different civs or leaders were geared towards certain playstyles (or whose defining advantage was being flexible) which is another layer on top of the ways to build up bonuses for units or tiles. I'll admit I was hoping something like this would happen too. :3:

My idea was capstone global bonuses (like virtue 'kickers' in CBE or the skill tree in Borderlands) for researching an entire specialization and achieve two things - providing another factor to consider in your leader loadout but also empire bonuses which can complement going wide and using racial units + early class tech than rushing to tier 4. It'd allow adept specialisations to be more relevant and let master specialisations do special things alongside their gimmick.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Leal posted:

Reading about stuff like this, along with say FF14 or Guild Wars 2 makes me believe that being a developer or someone like that who reads their own official forums requires a large amount of booze and possibly drugs.

In the case of MMOs, they typically deserve the static on the official forums. It took GW2 a year and a half to realise the subforum for trashtalking was full of vitriol that got people bans and passive aggressive smacktalk that qualifies for bans.

For more spergy games, it's even worse because you can't tell if they're being serious. The community for Total War complain about romans being shorter than barbarians and ropekid is a saint dealing with the people who demand PoE to have arbitrary X Y Z or it won't be their dream RPG.

Carnalfex posted:

What a great idea for a package to Gerblyn and Co. What do you think, should we go for quality or sheer quantity given the amount that they'll need?

They need a vacation. The whingers go berserk when devs aren't working on the game 24/7 when the game needs a patch right now this instance or all faith is lost. :qq:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Sorcerors lategame are utterly infuriating. They only need to build enough upgrades to get a tower in conquered city, sit the barest of bone garrisons (say, two T1 melee units ) at the back and let chaos rift and tower attacks do the heavy lifting.

The worst part is that I'm pretty sure that settlers still count as combat units for purposes of continuing combat (applies to Druid's call of the wild). Not useful for a human player but the AI likes to sit settlers in cities all the drat time. I've lost some good troops spending three turns to travel and hit a yak sitting in a corner. :(

Elf sorcerors are going to be more awesome with the air mastery bonus in the expansion, stack that knowledge bonus while spreading arctic terrain everywhere. :getin:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

There is no reason you shouldn't try researching your summon spells as quickly as possible as druid with empire spells. Cross your fingers and hope you get summon phoenix or feathered serpent who both count as monsters, they complement horned gods well but they can take cities by themselves in groups.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

madmac posted:

I swear Summon Phoenix is a myth. I've never gotten any secret spell except like Summon Kobold and Summon Dire Penguin. I want to get the one that Summons infinite spiders. That's a hilarious spell.

Feathered Serpents are so good, though. Tied to one of the rarest treasure sites, but man, I love those things.

Sage can grant most if not all of the secret spells from wizard towers I believe. I haven't gotten both feathered serpent and phoenix at once from Sage before (would be a little overkill, really...) but I have received them individually and they changed my production priorities.

Mass curse and bless should really have been master spells. More spells or adding passives to specialisations would always be good.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Feathered serpents is a secret spell? I thought the only way to get them was to capture an ancient temple and build from that city. I always thought that was weird, since it is one of the tougher dungeon fights by the time you can reasonably take it on you've already got your own tier 3, maybe 4 stuff going. They would still be amazing for druids though as madmac pointed out earlier. Anyone else.....meh. Still, you get regular rewards and nice city boosts for having it anyway, even if you don't need the unit.

Yup, it's a secret spell too. CP wise it's on roughly par with gargantuan creastures or node serpents which means there is a decision on what your army composition should be later on. Your monsters can have their own monster healer though, so independent. :3:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

What did you want to know? If it's just stuff like how all the mechanics fit together, I should be able to answer any questions you have.

Also, I'm also a bit frustrated with how secret spells are doled out. It's kind of just a bit of a weak design really, unlike other types of rewards, the system doesn't assign values to secret spells. When the system is calculating how much gold, units or items you get as a prize, it has a target value based on the difficulty of what you did, and it picks things to try and match that value. With secret spells, it just chooses one at random from a list, so you can get summon Dire Penguin after defeating 6 Manticore Riders.

Also, keep it up Madmac, it's really interesting to see a semi-objective, veteran player's view on class balance and things. I've added Summon Beast Horde and Insect Plague to the list of spells that might need to be buffed.

Call Ancestral Spirits is such a lacklustre spell given the fluff, availability research wise and that you could be using that CP to summon stuff strategically. It's unlikely to match the damage of hornet swarm or buffing a T3/4 with savage rage so the opportunity cost is out of whack. It's in the same situation as the dreadnought's summon siege engines spell really.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The spells I use most often as dread are fireball or skin of oil besides reassemble, because I'm a boring person. If I use fire mastery, I leave my leader's belongings on a army stack and send them naked into a fortified city to nuke them with the fire halo buff up before attacking them with the bulk of my army, with a golf caddy hero to give them their gear back. The dreadnought doesn't beat around the bush with a puny 15 hp instant spell, they use destabilised mana core. :unsmigghh:

When I'm not doing a silly gimmick like being a dread waging thermonuclear war on everyone else, Water Adept is nice to deal with other dreads warmachines using Rot but more generally, freezing water.
Produce ironclads takes a while to research too and you can't always build bridges, Freeze Water lets you take shortcuts through water, and in the lategame, pave way through areas that your ironclads haven't cleared.
Also underground waterways full of monsters and kraken but those aren't that common. Generally I feel like you do not want to embark your machines on water if you can help it since it's easy to blow up boats. Being slow, producing everything from cities and losing a turn to embark on top of that sucks.

Water is not forest or mountains so freezing patches of water for your machines to cross is definitely something to consider in many scenarios. If you spam longbowmen, musketeers and gryphon riders like I do, this might not hurt that much since you can traverse forest quite easily.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

So from the podcast, racial relations sound pretty drat neat. Unhappy towns can potentially flip to other players, hopefully you can punish people for overextending like in Endless Space and take cities without declaring war.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

The thing about the Domain of XXX spells is that they make a city like a certain theme of terrain. Races only like terrain types (e.g. Dense Vegetation or Fertile Plains), never themes (like Arctic, Blighted or Temperate). So if you have an Elven city in the middle of arctic terrain, it will only get its Liked Terrain bonus from the Dense Vegetation hexes, if you cast Domain Of Winter on it though, it will get that bonus from all the Arctic hexes. If you cast Domain of Winter on all your cities, and have Arctic Empire running, you can pretty much guarantee that all your cities will like every hex in their domains, which is something like a +500 happiness bonus in each city. The extra gold/mana/knowledge/population income from the +500 happiness should easily outweigh the sustain costs of the spells (assuming the cities aren't super happy already).

That's the idea, anyways!

I actually like arctic empire because dwarves and elves aren't affected by it. Enemies will have lowered or negated morale bonuses while your troops will function nevertheless. Elf dreadnoughts, one of my favorite combinations won't care much at all. It's like playing as halflings boosting your morale skyhigh and casting Mass Curse on the enemy (crits, misses and fumbles, oh my! :allears:), the battlefield difference can be significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

2, plunder is usually 4. It doesn't actually make plunder cost two turns if I remember right, it adds a completely new option "instant plunder" to taking cities that takes 2 turns and plunders it. Net result is that you spend the time effort of a raze but get the loot from a plunder (and have to research it). I seem to remember it leaving both the 2 turn raze and the 4 turn plunder options there though, which is weird since it makes them both obsolete.

You get less loot from instant plundering than plundering. It's still better than razing, and should really replace it.

• Locked thread