Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game looks like something some of my friends and me might like, got a question, if you lose your main hero in a battle by accident, is it game over immediately? do you lose your entire empire with one mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I have a friend who really loved heroes of might and magic, so this seems like something the two of us could play so I'm looking forward to release.

Here's hoping the multiplayer is functional on release and doesn't require a bunch of voodoo to get working like most strategy games.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Oh nice a dev answering questions, here is a question that is important to me, how is the online portion going to be handled? is it going to be easy to play with my friends? will I only be able to play with my friends or random people too? can they rejoin if they drop or can we save and play later?

Multiplayer is what gives a game longevity for me, but strategy games from past experiences have always tended to halfass the online portion with bugs, hoops to jump through, or gamespy.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 12, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
God I hope not, although Civ5 does.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for the replies Geb, you're awesome.
I just hope the multiplayer will be enjoyable for 2-3 friends and some AI or 5+ random people without any connection issues or massive turn times.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think I've been sold on this game just based on how active and friendly Gerblyn is in answering all the questions everyone throws at him about the gameplay.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I never use those things, I'd rather micromanage the explorer so he doesn't spend 10 turns making sure the ocean is still made out of water.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, I can understand that and I'm pretty sure the first expansion is gonna have new races in it. I think we're more likely to go for 1 big expansion rather than lots of little ones because it's cheaper and easier for us that way. Each DLC needs to be tested separately and we have to take into account what happens if some does have DLC A and doesn't have B, stuff like that. Not saying that we won't do it, of course, just what I personally see as likely.

Yessss, I much prefer the single big 20$ expansion to the half a dozen 10$ DLC that make me feel like I have to pick and choose the good and bad ones, or just not bother at all.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Different mounts are now in the game, Unicorns and Blight Pigs are the most common, though you can get wyverns and things too.

Man, I'm way too used to the way other games do things, was fully expecting *for 10$* to be somewhere in there after *Different mounts are now in the game*.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm somewhat curious what position Gerblyn has where he works, you don't often see someone who works so closely on something like this be so talkative about the process as it's going on.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there a *production overflow* like in the Civ games? say you build a 20 production unit with 30 production, will you have 10 extra for the next project?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What if you could build something to improve the lower tier units and to produce a upgraded tier 1 or tier 2 that is now effectively a tier 2.5 or 3 for stats.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

If you play me, and I have the expansion and you don't, then all expansion content is enabled in the game. The only limitations are:

1) I need to host to unlock the Seals victory condition and Empire Quests
2) You may not choose a leader with expansion stuff (i.e. no halfling, no wild magic, no partisan)

Once the game's started, there's nothing stopping you from conquering a halfling city and making units in it. In theory, you could even try and get the All Knowing empire quest, by finishing all available research. That gives you 2 new specializations at random to research, and could give you wild magic.

Sounds better then how I remember Civ5 being at release, every single person in the game needed to have your DLC civs if you wanted to play as them, means they were effectively not usable online 90% of the time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Thyrork posted:

To the matters of the undead, i really hope we dont just get bones and rotten flesh monsters. I really dig RIFT's take on the plane of death, while things like that are plentiful, there are also.. significantly unhinged individuals who sculpt such things into new creatures.

Regulos, dragon of death, is the ultimate example. His dragonic body was shattered, he replaced it with this:

'spretty badass i think.

From another old MMO, I want something like Legion.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there a release date or name of the necromancer expansion coming? or is that still a ways off sometime next year?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Finally got it now that it's a daily deal, if me and a friend liked Civ multiplayer, is this going to be a better or worse experience?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just started playing, liking it so far, but got some questions about the mechanics I haven't seen explained well anywhere.

Each race has it's liked/disliked and hated climate/terrain, my question is, what exactly are the numbers on this modifier, is it +6 city happiness per liked -6 for disliked and -12 for hated?

Should I be terra forming the entire land around my cities to their preferred taste?

Should I plop a city down next to no resources in terrain they like if I've run out of treasure sites to expand on?

Also, what does population do for a city?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 7, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another round of questions.

If I have a leader full of bonuses to troops, do the bonuses only apply to the 5 other guys in the stack or also to any adjacent stacks in a fight?

Does the +6 HP per turn fast healing only apply outside of combat?

I tend to get one arcane forge early enough in a second city to finish the empire quest for the free legendary weapon or mount, once the forge is up and I have the spare mana, what should be my first projects on it? I find weapons and boots drop like crazy so I don't need to forge those.

Volunteer+true sight helmets?
Fairy fire or muskets?
something else?

Is it ever worth going into mystical tier treasure sites full of dragons and other nasties? seems like I'd need a god army to do that, and if I had one of those their time would be better spent on other players.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Was playing against a Dreadnaught AI and everytime our giant armies clashed he would one shot one of my newbie heroes with his cannons and juggernauts before I could move.

That sucks, but eh, however on the next turn he could revive my own hero against me where he died, what ability causes that?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 9, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ah, I had a feeling it had to be some sneaky wizard stuff.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Couple things I've noticed, the AI never, ever builds a arcane forge or probably knows how to use item forging, when it took over one of my cities, the arcane forge was the only thing it tore down.

I've also noticed you can kind of cheese the empire quests, you rush down pure evil as fast as you can, declare war on independents and showing no mercy to guards and migrate as many cities as possible, you should reach pure evil by turn 20-25, faster if you declared war on everyone you met, and get a stack of three strong tier 2 monsters, then by turn 25-30 you should have the 6 cities of the same race quest for two tier 3's making a army that outclasses almost everyone else in the world at that time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Cleared my first {STR_StructureName} Naga are pretty easy to clear if you got good archers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Call it March of the Penguins.

This needs to happen in the expansion.

Are there any recommended settings for playing with one or two friends on multiplayer for maximum fun-having?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The research seems rather RNG heavy doesn't it? was starting to wonder if I even took expander as one of my specializations until turn 50 when one of the expander abilities popped up behind a 600 research ability.

I had been pretty active in clearing any 1 turn researches too.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 11, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Tidied up the OP regarding Madmac's various guides. :getin:

His guides are rather swell.

It would be nice if other players dominion stayed on the map even in the fog of war, even if it didn't update any expansion until you see it again, even if that was just something you could toggle on/off at game startup.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 12, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, Machines and undead all have the Can't Regenerate tag on them, besides sitting in a city with a expensive building what are all the ways to get around that tag on the strategy map? I noticed a golem healed from 44 > 53 while passing a turn while in a warlord stack that had improved healing but could it of been the repair machine skill passively healing? is that a thing it does?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 12, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
From just starting to play this game, I feel like it's -REALLY- close to being about perfect, it just needs a expansion and a patch or two worth of refining clunky systems, sprucing up uninteresting spells/abilities/units, and maybe some minor UI options like showing city names on the map civ style.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there a *best* or *worst* class? I seem to do far better as warlord compared to others, I guess because it fits my mass expansion and high production/minor summon zerg army playstyle better then the others.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wouldn't mind seeing some strong incentives to play the current odd pairings like orc druid/sorc via a added unit ability, like with halflings getting bard skills on apprentices and shaman.

On another note, halfling dreadnoughts must be the most unfair thing to play against if you can't spam morale penalties in their face, I constantly got 70 damage crits on heroes and T3's before the opponent could move with endless hordes of musketeers.

I'm also looking forward to that coming patch that changes the variance in which techs you get, I ended up getting the +5 gold from mines/farms around turn 50 after researching everything below 400 points.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 15, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Necromancers got plenty of bare chested ladies.

Probably multiples.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Pretty much everytime I move a army out of a border city to deal with something you can be sure the AI army is marching towards it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When I play dreadnaught, I have a hard time getting past the mass produced musketeer phase because they just seem to solve all my problems, especially on a crit or with seeker.

The machines just turn into supporting stacks for the musketeers.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 25, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

So, is there anything I can do to prevent one of my two cities being taken over by a bone dragon and an army of carrion birds on turn 30ish? I thought I was on the lowest difficulty because I am still wanting to learn the flow of the game, but since they don't have embark move penalties I guess they flew from a nearby island straight to my harbor city in one swoop. Time to restart again I guess :shepicide:

Is there an option to force dependents to stay out of my borders? I know Civ does that eventually I think.

And that is why it's best to aggressively hunt down any red dens full of hostiles, don't give up the game however, just build up a army to take it back after expanding in other directions.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've a feeling the dwarven economy upgrade is going to be chosen everytime if it's competing against +2 damage to crossbowmen unless it's somehow worse then that.

Hopefully they balance the two choices well enough so you'll have to make choices instead of having a obvious best path to take everytime that your crippling yourself if you don't take.

Would be interesting if the goblin military tier 5 was buy one tier 1-2 get one free, competing with +1 gold per wetlands, one that will drain your gold with upkeep but massive floods of units, or a big shot in the arm to your economy.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 3, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't think knowledge overflows either unless you get that knowledge from an instant bonus, so you want to hit breakpoints like 100 knowledge a turn for a 200 knowledge tech.

I'm ok with production not overflowing since everything is made in either 1 2 or 3 turns usually and it's possible to reach new breakpoints for certain units with a extra production building or site, would probably cripple the AI a bit if the player could make 1 unit/turn via micromanagement and the AI didn't micromanage it's queue.

Your other cities off in the boonies in hillbilly country can mass produce the tier 1's that are beneath your main cities production.

The only annoying part of production to me is how empire happiness can swing down and double the time it takes you to make a unit from 1 to 2 turns.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 4, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Carnalfex posted:

Seeing those new hero art assets makes me want so desperately to be able to add custom heroes to the non-leader hireable lists. I want to make so many mummies with santa hats and skeletor halflings and everything in between.

There's a thread by the devs on the official forums asking if people have interest in a straght-to-battle skirmish mode similar to what total war offers.

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/idea-for-a-new-game-who-would-like-this/

Yesssss, I would like that arena mode for some goofing off quick battles.

So long as you also had the option to spend gold on unit ranks and wacky hero items.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wouldn't be a bad idea to remove paragon of good/evil's free units if they rework alignments a bit, you can get those free tier 2's within 10 turns usually.

I also hope their working on other specializations, the new ones seem very focused with strong unresistable debuffs, while the older specializations are a little haphazard switching wildly between good and too specialized/useless to be worth taking up a spot in the spellbook.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I need to know- just how viable is a Good Necromancer playthrough?

Nobody will ever go hungry again, also, Grandma is back!

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 11, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Unless I wanted to devote gold to churning out a dwellings unit forever, wouldn't it be in my best interest to vassal a dwelling whenever possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ojetor posted:

Also the new Explorer skill is sweet. I can't believe I never noticed Explorer only had 3 skills to every other specialization's 4.

I couldn't find it in the patch notes, whats the new explorer skill?

• Locked thread