Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'm kicking myself for not hearing about this game before, but I'll definitely be following updates closely. Just seeing the Dreadnaught in his full suit of armor with a cup of tea managed to really hit a chord, as well as the game being gourgeous and looking like a fun as hell 4X from such an early stage.

Gerblyn posted:

Well, thematically a Wizard's Tower doesn't really make sense in the game. Half the classes aren't actually magic users, after all.

Just thinking about this though, the idea of a Leader "Retreat" where passive abilities are increased still has merit. Like the Sorcerer could conjure world changing spells from their tower, the Dreadnaught could improve construction rates at his workshop, a Warlord could raise veterans at his Headquarters, etc. Just have them take over and retrofit the same neutral building.

But yeah, can't wait for more glimpses at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dumb question: have you guys considered letting Dreadnought classes build railways over their roads? Between A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, I'm growing fond of light steampunk in a medieval setting. The idea of pikmen formations unloading from boxcars just sounds wonderfully anachronistic.

Serious question: is Dreadnought really the name you're settled on? Perfect name for the massive landship from the trailer, but a little awkward for the name of a person.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 10, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I won't be happy unless my tiny iron horses are physical units and high-speed transports. :colbert:

Really, I'm just considering what Dreadnought gameplay would be like. Just idle speculation, not really asking for requests. Maybe a number of researchable spells are replaced with permanent upgrades for units, like upgrading human musketmen to riflemen with increased accuracy.

I'm ready to get World War One up in here is what I'm saying. Emphasis on defense, mobility within borders, and a handful of really solid siege breaking units. Stat buff and debuff related spells like gas canisters, health packs, increased morale. The Dreadnought decides his battles at the walls of a city, either his or yours.

(Also, looking back at the trailer it looks like there'll be Dwarven Musketmen and some sort of fighter plane unit?)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

toasterwarrior posted:

i want to believe

I think it's going to be fairly consistent between races going by this concept art:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just saying a little variation is nice, like maybe bat wings instead of angelic wings for evil-aligned theocrats. I just find it funny that the theocrat class is so bound to Christian symbolism, with halos and angels.

Also, really intrigued by the idea of turning the Archons/Highmen into the Undead faction (love the little detail that they're not skeletons but pale skin stretched over bones). That and what I've seen about the campaign suggests some pretty interesting writing.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 11, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zurai posted:

There's still alignments, it's just that it's decided through actions in game rather than chosen at the start and locked in. Or so we've been told, anyway.

Found something to that effect trawling the official forums. What I thought was interesting is that alignment is also effected by stuff like the personal profile and colors you choose for your faction. (link)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gerblyn posted:

This. I'm pretty sure that alignment is entirely based on your in game actions, with some minor racial modifiers. AFAIK your choice of color has no in game effect.

Sorry, that was a pretty terrible misread on my part. Note to self, get more sleep.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bloodly posted:

I've always found it odd that tech and magic are often at odds. Are there many things where they work together, not one taking the place of the other?

I think part of the problem is that "magic" in fantasy settings is rather undefinable as a whole. What magic IS and what it can do varies wildly from work to work, and is often marked as "anything 'science' cannot do, or is not aware of". Stuff like summoning, teleportation etc. don't operate within the normal bounds of physics, but on the flipside if magic were sufficiently understood in any given setting it would be a science unto itself.

Fortunately though, this setting doesn't seem to focus on a magic/technology rift, but rather the conflict between immigrating humans and the magical creatures they're displacing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Personally would have waited for the Landship to come back for support but drat that mana core spell is devastating.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Splicer posted:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. No Frostlings, no Undead as playable sides :argh:

Just trying to imagine Dreadnought Frostlings. Would there be giant penguin musketeers?

On a more serious note I guess with the class/race choices any Frostling combination would play too similarly with freezing the map being your main concern every time.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Taerkar posted:

I am disappointed with the lack of Tigrans. Many of my stacks in AoW 2 and Shadow Magic would include Cat Riders or Prowlers, mainly because I love melee-capable archers and things that can circumvent walls.

Yeah, I would have swapped Goblins with one of the series' more unique races. And while your LP is great, there's a good bit of lore that's difficult to find online, so a summary would be really appreciated.

EDIT: Undead Dreadnoughts would be loving :black101: though. Just imagine using smog to blot out the sun, stoking the furnaces of your infernal warmachines with the corpses of the vanquished, and your skeleton musketeers turned charcoal black stained from soot and charred by unholy flame.

:allears:

EDIT 2: Keep in mind this would be returning AoW I/II undead. I actually REALLY like the design and assumed backstory for the new Archon Undead. I imagine that the Archon eventually defeated the necromantic undead and were called back to whatever land they came from. Some stayed for whatever reason and the holy magic that empowered them faded, leaving them the withered husks you see today, desperately fighting to maintain their heritage and relics in a world that no more use for them.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 23, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Found some quality screenshots of the Gamescom demo at Riotpixels.com http://ru.riotpixels.com/games/age-of-wonders-3/screenshots/

Also, looking at some of the chatter about the video and a ton of people are concerned about how mobile the cannons are, being able to move quite far and then fire. I do kinda agree that it's different from most strategy games, but with how important AoE attacks seem to be in this game I think that mobility is vital for cannons to align their lines of fire.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

If I haven't played AoW:2 or AoW:SM is there enough difference between them to justify buying both or should I just purchase Shadow Magic?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Extended version of the Gamescom demo with a look at character creation and a different outcome for the battle at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDKVGMgmae4

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The currently known leader classes are;

Warlord
Theocrat
Rogue
Sorcerer
Dreadnought
Archdruid,

Right? Most of these classes seem to be based on combat, magic, technology, or maybe diplomacy with the rogue. Do any of them have bonuses to economy? Because some of the more powerful all-around factions in games are economic powerhouses (looking at you, Civ 5 Venice and Arabia).

Still, I guess it'd make a good addition to an expansion pack, adding Halflings and a Merchant/Magistrate/Doge/ Bureaucrat class they'd be best at.

Edit: Whoa new page.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 4, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Raygereio posted:

In one of the videos the Rogue was described with "Fantasy Gaddafi". I have a feeling that class is not very diplomacy oriented.

Hey, threats, bribery, and assassinations all take place off of the battlefield, so it counts as "diplomacy" :ese:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Typical racist bias, putting the human in front of everyone else.

(The cover looks great)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

DIRE PENGUINS :black101:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Can I ask what the new direction for the Draconians was? They seem closer to green brown Draenei now.

E: And I can totally respect shifting the addition of Necromancers to DLC. For it to be a proper class you'd have to redo all the normal racial units to be undead in a way that's different than the emaciated Archons.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 15, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gerblyn posted:

I have no clue, the first concepts for Draconians was similar to what we have now, then we remade them to be have more raptor like faces (like in older AoW), then we remade them back. As far as I know this was all art decision stuff, I don't think there's much beyond it than what people thought would look better :shrug:

Thanks for the response Gerblyn. Wasn't saying they looked bad, just that it's very different than previous games and on the whole they look more demonic than draconic.

Splicer posted:

e: I'm assuming that there's going to be several DLCs containing additional race packs so I'm guessing it'll all come right in the end, I just wanted to make the point that wide racial choices are important for reasons other than just gameplay variety.

This brings up a good point though: Would it be better if the Undead were introduced as a race, or Necromancers introduced as a class? (Or both?) Would having necromancers as a class replace your units with skeletal versions of the same race, or would normal units be used and instead you are able to summon units like Bone Horrors, Zombies, and Vampires?

Actually this would probably be prohibitive to develop but it would be rad as hell if the frontline grunts of an undead army were based on the people you killed, so after conquering a town of dwarves your next batch of skeletons produced would be short and stocky.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Right but that excludes the possibility of having undead musketzombies or undead Dire Penguins, which is totally unacceptable.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

That's why the smart undead commander will have a Bone Horror to shamble out and topple the tank or wheel out their own flame tanks, the scorching heat matched only by the screaming hatred of the soul bound flesh to metal of the truly infernal contraption.

Just because the skeletons are brainless doesn't mean they're stupid.

E: Though I totally agree with the below \/\/\/ I feel that the races that were removed (Tigrans, Frostlings, Undead) rely too heavily on altering the environment, which may be at odds with the economy of a given class (Really hard to justify an Undead Archdruid) Definitely hope they're added as DLC but certainly understand why they are out of the game right now.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 15, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just don't want to go too far in the opposite direction either: Civ 5 had a problem with Infinite City Sprawl, but now it's punished so much people are sticking to 4-5 cities for the entire game on every map.

Actually this is a good line of conversation, are there "citizens" of any sort or do cities automatically gather resources in their zone of control? And are there ways to expand those worked zones?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gerblyn posted:

Elven cities like forests, for example, and tend to get unhappy if someone comes along with a huge tank thing and chops them all down.

Which is an interesting conundrum for an Elven Dreadnought player :haw:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Snow Job posted:

Single shot ranged units sound odd with this game's rules. Crossbowmen (and worse, siege units) are probably going to be zooming around like mongol horse archers if they can fire after moving maximum distance.

Well we know that musketmen and cannons can only fire every other turn: it's still funny to see a bombard scooting to the far side of the battlefield and shoot off a round though.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Astns posted:

Holy poo poo I wasted hundreds of hours on the first 3 AoW games & I'm just hearing about this now!?

That said I am disappointed by the seeming lack of undead. Armies of endlessly resurrecting zombies & turning huge swathes of land into a barren skeleton themepark were a big plus in the previous title.

Thread consensus is that it'll probably be part of the first DLC if only because including undead/Necromancer brings up significant questions about the class/race design of the game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Babyface Mingo posted:

Hahah that's loving stupid that they have exclusive pre-order / deluxe edition scenarios.

Well part of that depends on the quantity/quality of the exclusive content and how quickly it is made available to consumers that didn't preorder. I'm of the mind that if they were to provide exclusive content that they should only offer one package instead of a preorder and a deluxe. Maybe if the deluxe package came with one of those old fashioned high content rts manuals or some other swag but with just a scenario and soundtrack I don't think so.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Never forget Victoria, where you can trade for all the land in the world within a few ingame months.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Okay Porkface, since making interlocking AI systems that can accurately discern human planning and respond accordingly, what 4X has the best AI?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Well firstly I would argue that EU4 isn't a 4X in the way that games like AoW, Civ 5, or MoM are. The paradox line are closer to historical simulators than the board game/tabletop game that the traditional 4X seeks to emulate. Part of the reason EU4 diplomacy works well is because EU4 has no victory conditions, whereas Civilization explicitly has a diplomatic victory option. In EU4 you can just cooperate until the clock runs out but in Civ somebody has to win. And because you can win diplomatically it means that a degree of obfuscation or randomness is necessary for there not to be an absolute best way to win.

So yes, in a game where one quarter of the definition is "eXtermination" it should be more difficult for the game to end in a giant hugfest.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I know stats are subject to change, but do we have any noteworthy strategies developing yet? I still want to run a musket-cannon-engineer heavy dreadnought army with a focus on keeping ammunition in the air, with cavalry/tanks/other auxiliary units riding nearby. Based on the videos I've seen the musketmen have a decent melee attack as well as the devastating ranged attack. Are there any specific hard counters for them?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Demiurge4 posted:

They have relatively short range and can only fire once before having to reload, which I think takes an extra turn or two. The fact they have short range makes them vulnerable to cavalry with the charge ability and presumably blind effects.

Well the idea was to have enough engineers in the stack to make sure every musketman can fire every turn (I think 1 engineer to 2 musketmen). But blind effects are pretty nasty and yeah there's some serious damage dealing in a charge. But yeah, I guess the musketmen can't always tank enough damage for everyone to close the range.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Well the problem here is that unlike ruins or relics in most games (civ 5) you usually have to fight something to get treasure, and I don't think anyone wants to lose a scout to dragons, or alternatively be interrupted every four turns with a challenge the scout has to ignore for you to then send a detachment from home base to clear out the mine or temple or whatever. Plus keeping the turn by turn exploration in the player's hands allows you to more directly experience what's being discovered instead of glancing at the minimap every so often.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Joined the steam group, but severely disappointed you didn't choose Age of Blunders 3 as the name. :colbert:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So you can get heroes of different classes, how easy or difficult would it be to obtain units of other classes outside of single unit conversion spells?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Looking at some of the forum posts it feels reasonable to guess that the Highmen Archon Undead would be included in DLC as a playable race while Necromancers would be included as a playable class. While I do really like the aesthetic of the undead archons, it does clash with my concept of skeletal musketmen, and from what I understand about the lore an Archon Warbreed doesn't seem all that possible. I know the devs can't actually comment on this anytime soon but I guess it's one of those things that is still pretty hotly discussed in the developer knife-pit

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Classes:

Necromancer
Bard
Merchant/Doge

Races:

Halflings
Frostlings
Azaracs

I can definitely see a Doge/Merchant class working on buying and selling units among players (even letting players set prices). Give them spells like Market Crash, Bribery, Monopoly, Embezzlement, or Death & Taxes that mess with how much gold per turn everyone gets or steals gold from other players and let them have stuff like Landschneckte and Buccaneers and you've got a solid, unique class.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

A big downside to the Class/Race combo thing for this game is that it adds tons of extra work to add any new classes or races, since you basically have to create a new set of combinations every time you add anything. Right now there are 6*6=36 combinations, but adding just 1 new race and 1 new class jumps that up to 7*7=49 combinations, so they'd have account for 13 new combinations with just those!

A smart developer would have the "uniforms" of class specific units automatically overlay a stock racial unit, so the only work needed would be to double check the model for clipping issues. For things like the Warbreed it's a little more involved but that technique should cut down work time drastically. I think that's what the devs have done, but I would need Gerblyn to confirm.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Looking back on the thread and looking at preview videos I'm disappointed that Dreadnoughts don't get to replace their roads with railroads. I'm not entirely sure what all the benefits would be, but I still want to bundle pikemen and musketmen into boxcars and ship them from city to city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Deltasquid posted:

Looks like plan Elf Musketmen is go, then. :getin:

Actually, if the terraforming is so easy I think it's a viable strategy to create forest superhighways like another overly expansionistic 4X leader Hiawatha! :argh:

• Locked thread