Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I wonder if they're considering hybrid classes, so I can combine Dreadnought and Theocrat and get my Machine God Omnissiah on :psylon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is Rhianna Pratchett writing for AoW3 too? Not her and her dad's usual cup of tea, but Overlord 1 & 2 had some great writing and if Terry could write serious stuff well (better than the usual comedies actually since I love Night Watch and Small Gods), she probably has the chops for it too.

EDIT: Rihanna :blush:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 8, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Raygereio posted:

If I can't put a tophat on my monocle wearing goblin pope, I'll be very disapointed.

Oh yeah, that reminds me:

Will you be able to "multi-class" your Wizard/Hero? Like a Dreadnought/Sorceror for techno-magic shenanigans and Theocrat/Warlord for being a badass crusader wizard? Or are specializations going to be another version of that?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, I'll be fine as long as I can roll out my good old Steam Tank, shooting cannonballs at trolls and scalding goblins to death. And then it lets down a ramp and squads of drunken sentient beards jump out and gun down the survivors and hack at them with bayonet-axes :getin:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo, Notch was the backer on this game? Didn't know much about him and Minecraft, popular as it was; only about some tiff he had with Yogscast and various bad stuff in MC's development.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Notch is basically the prime example of a huge gaming nerd with more money than sense, and it turns out that very good things CAN come of that!

Hell, he's getting us AoW3 and I'm totally cool with that. The only "recent" fantasy TBS that really drew me to it is Fall from Heaven: Master of Mana, and that's a mod of a mod of a mod! Good on him on potentially bringing back the subgenre.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Earth magic, or wind, one of them gives erosion which lets you level mountains and let fourth your armies of doom! :black101:

If you're playing Humans, you can also fly your armies over them in zeppelins.

Oh poo poo, AoW3 is going to have zeppelins.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Am I mistaken, or is that music in the video a remix of one of the tracks in AoW2? I'm getting nostalgic just from listening to it (and watching the video, of course).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm curious to see if customizing your race/character goes beyond your class: so far Dreadnaughts have that steampunk thing going on, and Theocrats blend the crusader theme with literal angels from the heavens, but will going Dreadnaught always mean steampunk stuff and et cetera? Will your alignment + race will have a combined effect on how your dudes look, so evil Dreadnaught Dwarves would be amoral, jingoistic imperialists or evil Theocrat Humans will summons demons instead of a heavenly host? Ramshackle, Mad-Max-esque Goblin technology that would make 40K Orks proud?

i want to believe

vvv: Oh well, I'm sure what I want to see is a bit much, especially in these times where asset creation isn't cheap. I'm still glad that classes work across all races and you can get fun stuff like angelic goblins!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 11, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Just trying to imagine Dreadnought Frostlings. Would there be giant penguin musketeers?

On a more serious note I guess with the class/race choices any Frostling combination would play too similarly with freezing the map being your main concern every time.

Instead of steam power, they skipped right ahead to cold fusion :rimshot:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

avoraciopoctules posted:

Update: http://www.ageofwonders.com/expanding-the-website-leader-class-pages/

Apparently, your Flame Tank brigade won't need to worry much about friendly fire.

Not much new stuff, but it's going to be nice having something to look forward to as the game nears release. I'm still hoping for cross-class stuff!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I was expecting a chainsaw sword, so much for steampunk :cheeky:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Elyv posted:

What has chainsaw swords except for WH40K?

Dungeons of Dredmor!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Leal posted:

Oh my god, that dwarf with the halo :allears:

That's the neat thing too! You'd expect the Dwarves to be the gearheads, but Humans taking up technology in the pursuit of progress and power is a tried-and-true archetype, leaving stories open for unconventional stuff like monastic Dwarves and roguish High Elves.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

But that's not really how it would work though. Buffing your infantry unit would still only give that unit as a whole 2 extra armour, bit its attack would drop proportionally to how much health it has lost.

Pretty sure that's how it worked in Master of Magic. Kept normal units relevant with enough buffs, which was pretty great for races with magic schools poorly suited for direct combat but had kickass units like the Dwarves or Halflings.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Prism posted:

Master of Magic was really bad at balance, though. Small units were usually better just because they got so many attacks.

The game was fun way back then, mind. But not balanced at all. I think I personally would like it to be a little fairer than MoM got.

Oh no, it's true that Master of Magic is unbalanced to hell. I just appreciated how it avoided stuff like Dominions 3 where even the most badass standard unit is pretty much chaff once you reach a certain point, and the only things worth using then are sacred units (stacking easy buffs), thugs, or Supercombatants (where half their effectiveness comes from breaking the game mechanics over their back).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

It really isn't. Archdruids respect death as a natural part of life, so maybe our undead Archdruid just prefers the decay side more? That said though, I'd still prefer a Necromancer class over an Undead race. All the races are equal in death after all?

More mushrooms and toadstools than greenery, I suppose.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tomn posted:

Personally, I'd be pretty interested in a "First Age" fantasy game where the whole point is to leave behind an awesome legacy worthy of being remembered by future, lesser generations, whether it's done through crafting amazing artifacts, leaving behind incredible monuments, achieving legendary heroics and even engaging in epoch-marking wars.

Bonus points if the ending consists of various adventurers picking over the ruins of the civilizations in play, marveling at what they've uncovered.

It's been a page or two, but I'm pretty sure this is exactly what Toady is hoping to accomplish with Dwarf Fortess, once both Fortress and Adventure Mode are in gear.

Well, either that or a sentient AI that seeks to remake the real world into the True Dwarf Fortress.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can blight be removed without Creation magic? Red's starting position in the Caldera scenario starts you balls-deep in blight, and it sucks for morale.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there a rule of thumb for where to settle cities? There's the mechanic where their growth slows down when their domains start bumping against each other, but since even the most pimped-out city can only produce one unit at a time and that even the smallest city can build enough stuff to make a profit eventually, is there really any point to not building as many as possible if your specializations are geared for maximizing your economic strength?

Also, the X Domain and X Empire spells are obviously paired together so you can change your empire's terrain to your liking as well as keep your cities happy, but your units won't get the preference bonus, right?

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 5, 2014

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got to wean myself off building themed armies :( Two Halberdiers, Two Musketeers, a Priest, and a Knight may look cool, but they'll get murdered by any half-decent mid-game stack the AI can field. Six units just isn't enough for "themed" armies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I imagine there's room for keeping T1-2 units relevant through experience levels. There's already a mechanic in place for that with the Arena and other buildings of its kind; it's just that the boosts need to be bigger and/or more significant.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

I'm certain humans would be more interesting and stronger if there were some sort of sea-only resource that makes naval combat more interesting and worth your time.

Some sort of deep/shallow sea system where the shallow seas have some interesting resources as well?

You know, I could actually see some potential for an expansion pack here. The Commonwealth discovers a new continent and starts colonizing. Pirates, extra naval maps (like raging storms and so on), resources you can only find at sea! :allears:

Let's go get that oil. Shades of Warcraft II, and the beginning of RTS e-sportsssss

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do Support units always heal their stack on the overworld? Some racial units don't have heals, and I'm wondering if they have to take Theocrat for regenerating health in that case. Also, does the amount of Support units in a stack affect the heal rate?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm feeling real constrained by the 6 unit limit per stack. It's like I only have enough muscle to pick two from maintaining a line, doing flanking, or providing support, and that's with only the racial T1-2s. It gets a lot messier once you factor in class units, especially Dreadnoughts and their big guns.

And yeah, it makes the T1-2 unit power gap really apparent since that one space could go to a T3-4 unit instead, and the sheer difference in stats means that not doing so is going to gimp the hell out of your army.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MrBims posted:

Up to seven stacks can participate in a battle - the stack targeted to be attacked, and the stacks on every tile around it. If you move your stacks in pairs, you will have up to 12 units in a battle if one is attacked. If you move your stacks in triangles, you will have up to 18 units in a battle if one is attacked.

It's more of a concern to me in early game, where you need a good mix of T1-2 units that can fight while lacking the production ability to maintain multiple stacks. Past that, it all tends to become full stacks of the biggest and baddest units so a good army composition doesn't stay as relevant anymore.

• Locked thread