Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Yeah, if I were that AI, I would have taken the deal, then declared war again once the treaty expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, that was a thing in Shadow Magic. It's also how I beat the last map pretty handily when my main hero was nigh untouchable and could double-strike counter-attack with a life draining lightning mace.

You could also research just about everything by the end of map #2, and then just summon armies all over the place in the later maps.
I gave 2 of my heros Drain Will+Dominate, allowing them to convert the toughest anything they came across.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

teb1288 posted:

Is there a way to encourage my computer allies to actually do anything?

I am playing on the final Commonwealth loyalist campaign and having some difficulty breaking the two remaining computers. The first two computers I managed to kill in ~25 turns but now I am on turn 80 and just trading cities back and forth. On the other hand my two allies have 24-32 units sitting on every one of their towns that would easily break the computers. At first they used to cast spells frequently but now they aren't even doing that.

I tried to leave them cities to take on the way but they showed no interest in going after them. If I gift them cities at the front do they at least move forces up to defend?

You could try razing the cities instead of trading them, to break the stalemate.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Is there plans to have an expansion pack to the campaign? It kind of seemed like it ended when there was still more to go.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Thyrork posted:

Gerblyn, had a crazy thought, hes the raw:

My turn:
I cast Mana Fuel Cells on one of my cities.
Your turn:
You disjunct it. The spell is put into a "flux" state, disabling its effect.
My turn:
I get a popup saying "This effect is being dispelled! Do you want to counter?" to which i can spend mana (Mana, not casting points) to sustain my effect while swatting off your Disjunct. The flux effect ends.
Your turn:
You disjunct Mana Fuel Cells again, disabling it once more.
My turn:
The cost for me to counter you again rises significantly, i decline stopping it as i dont have the mana stockpiled, but i have the spare casting points so i simply recast Mana Fuel Cells which replaces the fluxing one.

The "Flux" state is to keep Disjunctions power as is. The mana cost will bite into any remaining issues involving stockpiled mana without costing casting points. The mana cost can be equal to the casting points of the original spell multiplied by whatever formulae you deem balanced. Plus, you might see a rise in banking mana so you can safeguard your world ending spell for longer! :haw:

Could also invite another Avatar spell, one that makes the curve of rising mana cost lessened while its in effect. Some kind of "Flux Insulation" spell.

Some sort of 'disjunction ward' like the one you get in aow2 might solve the city enchantment problem, if the ward itself becomes a city enchantment that protects the city. I think the disjunction thing works fine in tactical combat, although it might be nice to get a small bonus from big spells that get disjuncted before they go off - a disjuncted mana core explodes for some minor damage, a chaos rift or beast summon summons one last thing before it goes (although in the latter two cases you have already got some value out of it before the opponent even gets a turn.) I usually just try to bait out the enemies casting points with big hero spells, and save the massive ones for last (and hope).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I just discovered something really fun. Explosive Death stacks - so if you have a dreadnought hero, summon 5 spy drones, then your flying bombs can explode TWICE. And then there is the shrine of the scarlet destroyer, but I haven't tried that yet.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Are there any decent custom maps/scenarios that other people have made? I did a brief search and found some, but they're terrible.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Another argument for frostlings is that there is very little in game that actually does frost damage. Faerie fire and shadow stalkers are about the only representatives I can think of, whereas fire has dwarves and draconians, flame tank and other dreadnought things. Lightning is represented pretty well with high elves and sorceror things.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tiny Chalupa posted:

As someone who just picked this game up is it worth messing around with the Tutorial or should I just hop in a random map and figure it out? I've put 200+ hours into Civ 5 and hope this will solve the same sort of itch

Any starting combos I should avoid or is it pretty forgiving if I wanna be a Goblin Sorcerer/whatever?

In many maps you'll get cities of whatever race, so even if you're a goblin doesn't mean you can't have draconian/orc cities.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

vulturesrow posted:

How polished is the game right now? Looking to get the half off deal on Steam and just want to know how frustrated I'm going to get. ;)

The AI needs work (When it gets to the point where you're going to beat it in a battle, the AI razes every city near you and retreats to its throne city), but otherwise its great. Worth getting now, because they're working on fixing the AI problem.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Good lord. The bolded parts do not follow. This is the attitude responsible for the legion of garbage early access titles infesting Steam.

If the game needs AI improvements to be worthwhile then you should recommend once those improvements are finished. Saying that you should buy it now because fixes are supposedly coming is idiotic.

I mean that its worth getting now that it is on sale, for those considering getting it on sale.

quote:

This is a good game in case anyone is wondering. So, on the dreadnought campaign: I think it's dreadnought match 2 or 3, we're chasing after the traitor and hunting them down. I start the map without any cities and have to move in and take one. WHAT DO? I tried and got utterly railed.... Maybe I didn't move fast enough? next time I should try and take the first city ASAP, I think I took it around turn 16? I could possibly have taken it a few turns earlier, which might have helped.
I found in this campaign that your heroes carry the team a lot. If you're going to kill Larissa, head straight for her throne city and take it. If you choose not to kill her, take Carishars first city (the goblins) and then get the giant dwelling. Those giants will really help you out against Carishar. Also, make sure you get the items off whichever hero abandons you. If you pick Larissa you get her in the next campaign and lose Valery, if you kill her you get a dwarf theocrat in the next one.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 26, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

I havent played in ages and when I did it was mainly SP. Is the late-game tier-4 spam an issue still?

They did a balance so that lower tier units are more useful late game and tier-4 class units require an extra building to build, so its not as much of an issue. I didn't play it when it was, though.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Thyrork posted:

The groups public and in the OP, :getin:

Yes, be more aggressive. The campaign punishes turtling pretty steeply, especially early on. If you ever feel you've hit a wall, you've taken too long. In situations like that, just replay the map. You will do better the second time now that you know where early conquests await. :black101:

Half the time i dont get the room to breath and explore the maps because im too busy murdering my way through everything.

Speaking of the campaign, I really liked the final Edward Campaign vs the elven court. It played out much differently to other campaigns because you don't get any heroes and I found I had to rely more and more on regular units. It also punished my early game turtling when I saw a massive army approach and raze my outlying cities (despite my allies having massive stacks that could have fought them off, they decided to just let them pass).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Redeye Flight posted:

Picked this up in the Steam sale, working through the campaign on both sides... on easy. I really enjoy this game, and the setting, but I am NOT good at it.

My big problem is that turtling is my preferred tactic, just because I like having big armies and the big flashy units, but those always take too long. So by the time I can hit those units in, say, Edward's fourth mission, the enemy has assembled an unassailable fortress of bullshit. It doesn't help that I always want to do exploring and dungeoneering, which also takes extra time.

On the last campaign I turtled a city with 3 stacks (including two heroes), and the AI just hoarded stacks of 6 around it, occasionally attacking and failing to take the city. It got to the point where there were about 15 stacks of enemies just surrounding the city.

On that note, you can fairly effectively defend a city against a superior force with a team of 4 archers and 2 reasonably tough melee units (to defend the gates). Until they bring in hordes of fliers.

If you're playing as Edward, get him a mount that gives fire protection and research unstable mana core and/or hellfire, just spam them. Especially good against cities, because you start off further away from the enemy. (if you don't get the mount, you can always cast fire halo first, but they might dispel it.)

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 30, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a way to speed up all of the animations? I was playing through my first random map and towards the end when I have like 4-5 groups, I'd have really appreciated faster animations.

Also, nothing quite like rolling into a city with nothing but Hell Hounds and a fire immune hero to ruin everything with Hellfires.

Do you mean combat animations? Double click attack/move/use ability on the target and it speeds them up.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I got it during the steam sale and the only time I made Settlers (on a random map) was when there was a group of 4-5 resource nodes within a modest domain reach. The rest of my empire was conquered or bought out.

If you can't afford to build up a city, at least make them produce Merch and get money from t-shirt and mug sales or whatever.

on campaigns at least, there is usually fairly obvious spots for building new cities which have several resources clustered together.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Smiling Knight posted:

I've not finished the campaign yet, but so far turning the elvish rogue into a melee murder machine has been fantastic on normal. Go for any talents that directly affect melee capabilities (first strike, projectile resistance), utility stuff to make it easier to get to enemies (passwall, sprint), and all the rest into attack/defense/hp. Meanwhile, secondary heroes get built as casters. They can use their own mana to cast spells while the main elf establishes a beachhead. By the time her HP as worn down, she has killed a bunch of enemies and given time to bust down the doors.

Charm is super useful, too. Especially with Orc Priests/Succubi to curse your enemies and reduce resistance.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Arrrthritis posted:

Rule of thumb for the campaign? ABC

Always
Be
Conquering

There's a city underground right above where you meet Nomlik. Take it and do whatever you want with it. Then go westward bound to destroy her capital (taking any cities you can along the way.)

I had big trouble when I first played that mission but on the second playthrough it was a lot easier. I just steamrolled over the goblin cities and had my leader make a beeline for the dragon dwelling, picking up the orc hero on the way and leaving the other heroes to hold the land I'd taken. Once the egg hatches getting to the dragons is easy, and once you get a dragon or two and level it up on smaller cities/stacks you can seige their capitals.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Redeye Flight posted:

Each campaign is six missions long, on either side of the choice.

I've been trying to play through the loyalist sides but goddamn do I hate being a dick in games.

Also Promised Lands is pretty much the longest mission on the Elven side that I've yet come across no matter what you do, so don't fret. Inversely, Haunted Nirvenkiln takes for loving ever.

Ironically, the Edward loyalist campaign is less loyal to the emperor than the Edward torchbearer campaign.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Antti posted:

My second go at the second Elven campaign mission is going a lot better, although interestingly I think it's starting to get sloggy again. Let me explain:

I built up two cities before declaring war; the one over the elven ruins, and another one hugging all those gold deposits near the river south of the eastern desert. I levelled up my heroes using neutrals, scoured the underground area you can enter to the east of the city spot south of the desert, and built up a fuckton of flamers, some raptors and a few battering rams, while maxing out upgrades to my throne so I could crank out flyers.

I then proceeded to curbstomp the underground goblin city and the first aboveground goblin city. Underground goblin city was turned into a beetle factory, and I pushed to the orc sorcerer to grab that city. By that point I had enough momentum to crush and conquer the next goblin city as well, and then the druid guy flew over to Dragon Peak to get that loving gold dragon.

However, I think I waited just a little too long to build up my forces early on to make the rest smooth sailing. At this point the war turned into a charnel house. Dragon Peak traded hands three times while I went around and razed the big orc city in the desert and the little goblin city to its west. (An act of evil? gently caress YOU! I'm not holding these cities so I'm burning them!)

Basically, gently caress Manticore Riders. gently caress them. Also gently caress Warbreeds. I've got three Horned Gods, a storm serpent and several big mean spiders and I've got orc shock troops and poo poo on the way. I'm hurting for good ranged and I hear there's elven cities down there somewhere but if I go activate them now I suspect the orc bastard will go curbstomp them. I need to cripple him first.

I think I love this game. It's the kind of game that gives me a hard time and I enjoy it regardless. Haven't had a game like that in a long while.

Don't neglect level 1/2 units. Goblin swarm darters completely ignore line of sight penalties, so you can march them right up to the city walls and slaughter things on the walls pretty easily. Eventually they'll leave the walls, but you still get an advantage.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Redeye Flight posted:

I am really bad at this game. Part 4 of the Elven Campaign on normal and I'm just completely locked up. Isabella is just spewing out endless Shadows and Succubi and I don't have the tools to kill them fast enough. Meanwhile she's ALSO putting out two city enchants per turn, so I'm just drowning under brigands while dispelling Incite Revolt and the shadow thieves are taking my econ to poo poo.

Edit: I should note, I beat both sides on easy, rebel path. Decided to up the difficulty and this is harder than I expected. I suppose the answer is to just move even faster towards crushing her stuff, but it feels wrong to just ignore all the cool other stuff on the map. I'm not even sure I can move fast enough to stop getting bogged down by Millis.

I had something similar, eventually bet it by finding the teleporter to her throne city and sending a hero stack through. The teleport is on an island in the SE. You only need to take out the leader and the throne city, you don't have to take the horde of other cities that spit out shadow stalkers. Don't forget to rescue the dreadnought on the way past the teleport (he's in the dungeon)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Smiling Knight posted:

After completing the Elven campaign on normal, I decided to jump into the Commonwealth one on hard. Not having resurgence on all my heroes makes it a whole new ballgame!

I found it didn't matter that much in the campaign, as most heroes are mission critical and if they die in tactical combat, you fail automatically. It does help with your leader having resurgence, though, because it makes them the most expendable of your heroes.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

madmac posted:

That's an oddly specific complaint, in my experience city founding barely plays a role in AOW 3 campaign play at all. Mind you, I don't bother building cities outside of the scripted events giving me pioneers to build in certain locations and the AI isn't big on expanding either, so eh.

I do dislike the city density on most of the campaign maps, though. Cities everywhere, and far too many overlapping domains. I'm not hating on the campaigns exactly, it's just that they're very different from normal play for a variety of reasons. I never played the original so I can't really comment there. I did beat the first AoW 2 campaign all the way to the last mission, where I sunk a bajillion hours in, realized I goofed and couldn't summon the willpower to restart the unbelievably gigantic map.

Never finished the Shadow Magic Campaign for whatever reason. It seemed like I'd always get a whole bunch of missions/hours in and then screw myself over with saves somehow.

On a side note, I've never liked the save system in AoW, especially for campaigns. I always end up having to create and manage a crapload of custom saves and restart points for myself because the game just keeps a single autosave, it's aggravating. Compare to any given HOMM game which automatically creates something like 10 rotating auto-saves and lets you re-play any mission you've unlocked by selecting it directly from the campaign menu.

One of the post-release patches changed AoW3 saves so that you get an automatic save on the turn you win a campaign. So you can pick up the campaign from any point, if you've finished it (eg. the torchbearer/loyalist branches)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

The Royal Scrub posted:

I think I did do that, some tooltip said we recommend starting with the Elf campaign and it was pointing to that button. I feel like the one I played could have been the first mission though, it was the Elf chick's brother getting killed and then I teamed up with the Draconians to kill Orcs.

Yeah, thats the first elf one.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

pigdog posted:

Finally finished the elf campaign. This is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played because the core gameplay is good, but the campaign missions are so shittily designed. (Can't not play the campaign either, because of OCD.) That last mission must have taken me 2 weeks with constant restarting. loving hell.

Which branch of the elf campaign? I found that the torchbearer elf campaign wasn't too hard because you get quite a few heroes at max level, and you can simply fly around Sundren with a stack or two of flyers and assassinate each players leaders one by one (Throne teleport reroute works on every leader, not just the two you need to get to win, and puts you at peace with anyone you've captured). The loyalist campaign is harder because you have less heroes and your allies are crap

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Veyrall posted:

I thank you immensely.

Draconian Druid also gets Draconian Shamans, which can be very powerful versatile. Use their fire bolts against goblins and orcs since they resist poison
Tip - in tactical combat you can farm xp for some spellcasters and heros by having them constantly cast spell abilities on whatever friendly unit is nearby - dispel magic is the easiest for this, but other ones can work too. You can siege a city, and just sit away from the walls with your spellcasters having a wankfest until they level up.
Bonus points if you manage to take an AI city which has a settler in its army - the settler just flees to the back, and you can surround it casting entangling touch and every now and then hitting it (because if combat goes on too long without something being damaged it becomes a draw)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Carnalfex posted:

Huh. Maybe it was just dumping crappy items? There is no way to get rid of items you no longer need (like a slew of basic bow/wand items) apart from just dropping them on the ground. It is weird they were all on that water dungeon though. Quirky.

The only times I've got that many items is in a campaign after maybe collecting 3 maps worth of equipment.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Carnalfex posted:

Sure, but the game dumps heroes on the player through a firehose, which means they are either a mediocre combat unit or a stack leader if you luck into a theocrat/warlord for the most part. Still, players can limit the amount of heroes they get in a game but the default is pretty high for each map size (I think it's 5 or 7 for medium maps in addition to the leader?). While hero hiring could perhaps be scaled based on how many heroes a player already has, that is still kind of a backwards not-quite fix to spellcasting focused heroes being hampered by a basic game mechanic. They are already tough enough to use early (when it matters) since mana is tight in the early game. One city buff can eat your entire mana income, to say nothing of essential scout summoning and combat spells.

That actually touches on something else, though. The economy is in a weird place because early on you have one city, and your ability to spend money is strangled by that so you pile up gobs of cash. Mana is at a premium as you have very little income - almost entirely luck based around getting nodes near your first city. As the player builds more cities, each city can not only have more nodes but build mana producing structures as well. These additional cities provide more production with which to spend gold, so cashflow starts going negative and you start spending money as fast as you can get it. The cities do not improve casting skill though, so your mana income outpaces your ability to use it and only goes up from there. That being said, a big part of the reason mana is hard to spend in the mid-late game right now is the ease with which the AI can spam dispels - if players could reliably keep enchantments on their cities they would certainly find ways to dump their mana. This will probably fix itself with the new disjunct mechanics in the expansion.

Are you saying that secondary heroes being able to cast more spells/spells out of combat would be a good way to address the mana flooding? Because if so, that's a great idea.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ojetor posted:

How is everyone saying Archdruid heroes suck when Dreadnought heroes exist? At least Archdruids get decent spells plus healing and healing aura. Dreadnought heroes are pretty terrible, except maybe when you're playing a Dreadnought leader.

Dreadnought heroes get a musket, which I quite like, and firebomb and some useful resistances and army buffs

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

a!n posted:

They can also do stuff with your siege engines which is pretty helpful.

Repair machine certainly is, but quick reload is completely useless unless you have dreadnought units.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Just finished the first mission on the halfling campaign. First off, mounted archers are insane, my capital got the focus chamber (+2 ranged, +1 lightning for archers) and the stables of vigor (fast healing, free movement, high morale for mounted units) so my mounted archers already start with a big bonus. Then the warlord skill that gives +15 HP and constant levelling of them and by the end of the game I had several stacks of mounted archers at champion 2+ with 100+ HP. Sprint is also awesome for them.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Has anyone else noticed that the sorceror spell "age of magic" still says it increases your casting points by 50, whereas what it ACTUALLY does is halves the casting cost of all spells (including hero spells in tactical combat).

quote:

Umm, we didn't actually add a Halfling Dreadnaught You'll need to make your own in the leader editor.

But there is a halfling dreadnought hero - the one who arrives in the first scenario with some party robots?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

madmac posted:

Man, Naga dwelling really is the best dwelling. There isn't a single thing you can build there that isn't awesome. Putting together Naga raiding squads, all with swimming and fast regen and really tough in combat is so satisfying. Matrons might be my new favorite support unit too, at least once they hit gold and get Call Lightning. Naga are amazing.

Oh, and Gluttons are terrifying to fight sometimes. During the second Halfling Campaign I had one taunt my ~120 HP literally invincible Shadow Stalker and all I could think was, "Whelp, this is where we all die." It's a well designed Tier 4, has an obvious weakness (Slow and low defense, shoot it!) but can still trip you up with Taunt and Gas Breath and ordering a frontal attack against the thing feels exactly like you're just feeding it and making it stronger, because probably you are.

Ah, I loved that shadow stalker in that campaign. You could pair it with a bunch of apprentices and have them heal it, then stun the enemy for massive backstabbing bonuses.

I also liked the 'summon lesser elemental' spell on that mission, I summoned a horde of lesser elementals and levelled most of them into regular elementals. Blight elementals are pretty cool in an elemental army (they disgust all the enemy halflings!), although I found the earth elementals tended to eat most of the blight damage from the enemy shamans. Then again, they had regrowth so they took a lot of damage but didn't die.

I also love the new treasure site bonuses. I built a city with the Sunken city (Sirens + Mermaids) and the altar of bound souls (support units get Resurgence and +1 resistance) and created a murderstack of Sirens plus their Kraken buddy. They'd easily take down stacks of 4 manticore riders, often dying in the process but resurging.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Redeye Flight posted:

In the first mission of the campaign, my halflings uncovered a "Cloak of the Young Adventurer" from a site. It's green. There's also an item now called "Delicious Second Breakfast" that gives any hero the same recharge ability the Brew Brother has.

in AoW shadow magic there was a Halflings Ring that granted invisibility and (I think) physical protection.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

madmac posted:

Got around to finishing the last Halfling Mission last night. That was fun, and if the Seals mechanic consistently leads to massive King of the Hill battles even in RMG then it's definitely a pretty cool endgame alternative. My strategy for that map ended up being 90% Nagas. I didn't have the time or economy to really get anything rolling from the Halfling outposts that was nearly as good as a bunch of leveled up Snakemen grinding their way through enemy hordes.

Naga really shine more in meatgrinder fights, I find. They're very slow and in smaller skirmish battles it's easy enough to carelessly let one guy get isolated and beaten down, but in a large scale battle being able to slow-roll everyone just by being immune to attrition makes a huge difference. The fact that playing Theocrat means these are all very devout, heretic smiting Snakemen and the Matriarchs get the free medal and healing spell just makes it all better. Though I hear Druid Naga is even better in some ways...

I can see why Necromancer was announced early, as the campaign ending is completely unsubtle in indicating they're coming.

Ah well, time to go through the billions of map settings and character creation options and decide what I want to play first.

I know what you mean about the halflings, I kept getting my domain invaded by shadow stalkers and halflings basically have nothing that can combat them effectively. I ended up taking them out with a team of naga matriarchs and a hero with a flying mount.

I did manage to get Ham Binger to convert a few of the enemies apprentices, which was very useful. He ended up with a murderstack (with resurgence) that I gradually added gluttons to, running between two of the seals, while the other heroes would desperately try to defend my cities. I stuck one gold medal apprentice on one of the seals to hold it and only had to return periodically to clear the spawned defenders, the AI seemed to ignore that seal completely (Perhaps because the other two were easier for it to access)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Carnalfex posted:

As it is, alignment does almost nothing *except* determine your alignment with bots, but yeah it does kinda of feel tacked on without a purpose. It could be thrown out entirely and it wouldn't really affect gameplay. In order for it to be linked to more things and feel more important, though, the player would also need to have more viable control over it. As it stands most choices that give you good or evil points are choices that a player is going to make based on their actual needs in the game. You aren't going to migrate a city to end up with terrible climates for the inhabitants, that is just poor planning, and maybe you really need a city there and have no problem defending it, so burning it down is a bad call too. The only option remaining gives good guy points. Fighting guards that try to run is similar. You'll want to fight or not based on your ability to mitigate any damage you take in the fight with defense, healing, etc. If you can't afford to take the time to do that or will take losses you take the free win for the resources. Declaring war and peace is based on your needs to actually win the game, too. Everything that you can do to get light/dark side points has them tacked on to a different gameplay decision that you need to make based on its own merits.

I always thought the alignment system would work a lot better if it was decoupled from actual gameplay decisions. This could go hand in hand with something I've seen a lot of people mention, the inclusion of random event popups similar to many other 4x games including the original MoM. Instead of simply having them say "red mana nodes give more income" or "a merchant gives everyone some money" or what have you, have then throw up a little FTL style choice and the choices are labeled as good or evil. You could even have the alignment choices have multiple possible outcomes the way FTL does so a player can never be 100% sure of the outcome and it doesn't get boring.

You could go completely the other way and make alignment a much more integral part of game mechanics as well, having it cut off access to some abilities and open up others, or give penalties for using those abilities. This would make it hard to switch back and forth between light and dark, and make the choices feel more important, but you would really need a lot of work on diplomacy options and reasons to do things other than murder other players all the time. As current gameplay stands all players want to be "light side" early while expanding as they want free wins from guards and to buy up neutral towns to expand extremely quickly and give their economy a kickstart, then completely 180 and go full evil to murder opponents and burn down orphanages as the only way to win is through stabbing people in the face. You could even do this and have event popups.

An alignment system might work better in a game like civ where diplomacy is a major gameplay element and military action is only a part of the game, but aow plays more like a boardgame and combat is the entire focus. Either way it would take a bit of work to really shake up the current setup if alignment was going to really mean something, especially if it was going to matter at all in human player interaction.

Speaking of random events, what would people be interested in seeing in that regard? While SoTS was far from a perfect title it did have some very memorable aspects, and one of those was the random events. It even had super random events that could throw a wrench in the plans of everyone playing and really shake up a game. Things like having a giant monster show up that could permanently delete entire planets or that forced all players into peace for X turns and would slap around anyone that started a fight until they left (but you could theoretically kill) really changed the feel of a game and could force players to band together, go into a cold war, or form impromptu alliances as they threw the balance of power around. Also the peacekeeper sounded like it was voiced by a hobo screaming from the bottom of a trash can when it threatened it was PREPARED TO TAKE STEPS BEYOND YOUR IMAGINING if you picked a fight. These sorts of things were often hilarious and definitely very memorable, generating some amazing stories and gameplay twists, which in my mind is a big reason to have random events. Not every event needs to be drastically game changing, of course, and if such events were included I could totally see them as an option toggle since some players just want to simcity. What are other people's opinions about alignment and events?

The Civ4 mod Fall from Heaven 2 did random events quite well. It had event popups that would give you a choice, and some choices were unavailable depending on your alignment, race, religion or civics. Each choice often had a reward or penalty associated with it, too. They also had random NPCs heroes that would spawn, and one feature I liked was the armageddon counter. If there were too many evil civs doing evil things (like razing cities or even just existing) the armageddon counter would go up, and would trigger events such as blight (Massive (global) health penalty to all cities, poison damage to all units), and later on summoning the four horsemen of the apocalypse if the count went too high. You'd get other things, like changes in the random events and hell terrain spreading faster when the counter went up.
Random, scripted events (or triggered events) would be a great addition to age of wonders, in my opinion. For example, randomly spawning groups of NPCs when a top tier spell is active (such as a bunch of neutral hostile sorceror units spawning during "Age of Magic", rogues during age of deception, theocrat during armageddon)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

eXXon posted:

Does incite revolt actually work against the AI? I spent like 7 turns maintaining in the Isabella/archipelago map against multiple disjuncts and nothing happened. I never even got a popup saying "rebellion due in x turns". Then it got disjuncted away from 200 strength in one turn, and a few turns later I got incite revolt placed on one of my cities with a trigger in 3 turns.

revolts happen when a city is unhappy, not because of the spell. So Incite revolt can cause rebels to spawn but only because it makes them lose happiness. If you choose a wild magic rogue then you can use incite revolt and warp domain to make extra unhappyness (and camp some armies outside their gates for the enemy at the gates bonus)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Lorini posted:

I need help with the Animate Dead terrain. What I do is manual combat, but I use auto-combat within the manual combat. But even if I don't use auto-combat, the Independent's guys constantly get re-born and every time I die. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

If you can, sit your troops on top of the corpses of the independents. That will prevent them resurrecting.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

madmac posted:

It increases the number and strength of neutral defenders, so at max setting basic gold mines and stuff will have five guys guarding them instead of three, for example.

It also means that a 'mythical' treasure site will have 3 tier 4 class units protecting it + support, which means you really do need your own T4s to take it out.

Is it possible to get the expansion special buildings (linked to treasure sites) in the original campaign? I'd quite like to replay it, with the additional expansion stuff if that is at all possible.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
In the upcoming expansion I'd like to see army bonuses appear on non-hero units. It already kind of does with the bards skills that bards and some halflings get. The gold dragon also gives a buff to the whole stack. If the frostlings were a race, then the Ice queen could do things like give all units in the stack +1 frost damage. Necromancers, too, could have some sort of lich lord that gives bonus damage or other buffs to all undead.

• Locked thread