Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calax
Oct 5, 2011

my dad posted:

Female Darkside Twi'Lek named R'andayn

Personality: Space Libertarian

Somewhat of a mirror-image of Mort, I guess. I want to see Mort's utter disgust when they eventually meet. Twi'Lek because... Honestly, I picked a random race.

e: Added an apostrophe to the name, it's Star Wars after all.

To be fair, you could also run with a Light Side and Mort would probably still be disgusted because of slavish adherence to the Jedi. And if we're playing basically as the Anti-Mort, Mirialan is a better bet for a species than Twi'lek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

OzCavalier posted:

IIRC, all the Jedi I saw when playing my JK were all Body type 1-3... it's the Sith that seemed to have a inordinate number of Body Type 4s.

Especially Mort's master, Darth Diabeties Baras...

Well part of that is probably that the Jedi are (in this at least) all about meditation, being giant dicks, fighting, and being republic military "advisers". Meanwhile the sith can, in theory, just lay back and be almost complete hedonists while doing whatever tasks they're ordered to by their bosses.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Inferior posted:

I dunno, the woman (Moracen) gives off some slightly Sithy "the rules don't apply to us, we're special" vibes. I usually take the neutral route of not snitching on them, but persuading them to break up anyway. Taking that route also gives you the option to literally tell Moracen "Guess I've just ruined your entire life, huh." which is good for a laugh.

Although, the "persuasion" doesn't take much persuasion. It's more you basically telling them that you're not sure the relationship is the greatest idea in the world... and the guy INSTANTLY breaks it off completely.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

Poor Juhani. I mean first there was the fact that even much younger me could tell there was content related to her cut from original KOTOR, and now this.

This whole mechanic of becoming an immutable subclass at level 10 is such a transparent way to try and have 8 'classes' while still having only four plotlines per side. They might as well have had you pick at creation.

This is kinda what I was getting at with my discussion on RIFT in the other thread. Where this says pick at 10 and that's your class, RIFT gives you the same number of talent trees, but lets you mix and match as time goes on. To put it in TOR terms, instead of being locked into a secondary class at 10, you'd just pick your three starting trees, and over time you'd get access to the other trees.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Off the top of my head, Karen Traviss wrote two gay Mandalorians, Bioware wrote Juhani, and IIRC Visas Marr by Obsidian was supposed to be bisexual. It's a bit odd when the supposedly cosmopolitan, generally tolerant and diverse Star Wars civilizations have less canon gay people than the Catholic British Space Nazis over in WH40k.

Well, the Exile did have "Force Sex" with Visas.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

Wait, what? Since when is catgirl a lesbian?

(And not just an annoying side-character to be picked up and never to be used again).

She was intended to be the romance, but like they said, LA flipped it's lid so they basically tore that all out. The subtext and a few lines are still there, but it's mostly gone.

It's also why her conversations just die after a bit.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

... that first image makes me think there should be a comical "SPROIINNNGGGG!" effect thrown in.

That said, I think this is the first point where you have to ask "Sooo... why is the Smuggler technically republic?"

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Honestly, it seems like the republic has about 2000 "elite squads" based on how often you run into them in various quests.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

Admittedly this is just from seeing shots of it and not playing it because the only computer I have that's good enough to play much of anything is a mac, but I'd almost say they didn't go dreary enough on the surroundings. The color palette of the planet is dreary but too light in color to really be oppressive. I mean, you can definitely make a starting area for an MMO without bright colors, Tirisfal Glades does it quite well in WoW. It works because the surroundings are all sort of dark and ominous as is the skybox, to really sell that you're in a place of death. It also makes it even easier to create points of interest at that point because pops of color really show up well.

Obviously you can't make a Star Wars area an undead hellscape but if you darkened the skies and just in general gave it a visual feel that matched how dark a lot of the content was it would work a lot better, because it'd really drive home that you're fighting a pointless and brutal conflict over a world that's not even worth having except to stop the other side having it. Instead it's just boring, neither being colorful nor properly bleak.

EDIT: Going back and looking at the screenshots, the missed opportunity glares even more. The skybox was already full of horrible smog clouds and then they have to screw it up by a) having bright edges b) making everything look so well lit that I didn't even notice it should be darker until I really looked. I actually remembered the skies as clear, because the lighting makes it seem like they should be.

One thing that screenshots don't get across is the fact that there's constantly respawning mobs of troopers that are shooting at each other (including rockets across a bridge at one point). And while you may be in a few areas of some green, most of what you see is either military bases or towns, so everything is concrete grey or a building interior. On Hutta, Typhon and Korribon, you get at least one other major questing area. Ord Mantell is basically a town, and the other questing areas make you feel like you're hiking to mount doom to get to them. Due to both terrain and the atmosphere.

The major memory I have of the place (from about 6 months ago now) is getting frustrated because my path between my quest hub and the zones I needed was A) narrow as all heck and B) had constantly spawning enemies. Well, and one area around a shield generator that was just confusing due to it's loops.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Aleator posted:

The area between the quest hubs and the "designated quest zones" are fairly wide and clear of enemies. I don't remember them being that obtuse. On the other hand, several of the questing zones have narrow canyons that branch into them that have an extremely high enemy density. I don't remember exactly where, but one of the roads to one of the villages was a bad example of this.

I remember for the first area after arriving in town, you have to troop down to another village, with mobs on the way, then the village is full of enemies (but people still live there) and THEN you troop back to be sent to almost the exact same area except to a little beach for a quest with a stupid low drop rate. Then the military base which is a road of enemies. It starts clearing out after that, but that entire part feels like a slog.

This is also at the point when every mob goes down rather fast, with later planets seemingly built around "strong" mobs being the norm, and champions being a challenge every so often.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

OzCavalier posted:

Agree completely that Kilran is one of the best villains in the game. I've run Esseles with numerous people on 4 different servers, and I've never had a single person say that they thought Kilran was bland and boring (especially compared to later Flashpoint/Operation "bosses".

It's even more amazing that he's considered one of the 'best' villains, and yet you never get to actually fight him.

You do, he's one tough SOB too.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Given that one of my abilities is literally hit man with gun, and that it's one of my most damaging ones somehow, all I can say is that guy who got hit must have been roughly 5 or so levels ahead of the soldier.

Hilarious part? The other class you could have taken is based more around getting in melee... so smacking somebody with your gun, and your fist, and your boot, is more damaging.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The other major way essles ends (in general with public groups) is that you can tell the ambassador that you were asked to leave her behind and she promptly flips out on the guy who did it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, and the first one's usually pretty easy to solo if you're a few (about 6 or so, maybe 8-10 if you're squishy) levels above the flashpoint.

I think Essles and Black Talon are used to earn "social points" and influence with your partners at later levels due to farming.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Inferior posted:

I'm always a bit confused by moments like this. The Jedi don't seem to have any formal power in the Republic, but the game throws out scenes like this where all the Jedi get huffy about not being told about the Secret Weapon.
Eh, I'd make a politics joke here but :effort:

I get the feeling that the Jedi are supposed to be a standing army, but every time a conflict pops up it's drafts for everybody, and the non-force-users end up making their own bloody army and running the show.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dolash posted:

It blends a lot of elements - state religion, knightly order, federal police force, first and last lines of defense. Officially the Jedi have little to no power, but they're nevertheless included in just about everything worth being included in.

Once again Kreia and KOTOR 2 have all the best deconstructions of Star Wars, since it's suggested that the Republic is just a shell for the Jedi. Their philosophy calls for a great and just society of all peoples that they might serve (and police, and advise). The Republic is just the government the Jedi have shaped to fit them, just as the Sith hammer an Empire into shape around themselves that fits their beliefs.

This could be a really interesting perspective on the entire Star Wars story, which of course means that it has never and will never be done.

Well, I think it depends on the writer as to how integrated the Knights are into the story. In the Tales of the Jedi comics, the Jedi are treated more like they're their own member nation of the Republic (including having a specific "Jedi Planet"). And they're also getting at least one Jedi to play peacekeeper on each planet in the Republic. But the Jedi aren't automatically given command of armies because "oooohhhh lightsaber!". In fact, two Jedi are helping conquer a star system with Empress Teta, but aren't more than her bodyguards.

On a meta standpoint, Jedi are in charge because they're friggin Jedi. They're the self insert fanfic of every kid.

Now that I think about it... maybe the Jedi/Republic relationship is more like the one between the Imperium of Man and the Adeptus Mechanicus in Warhammer 40k.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Psion posted:

There needs to be a Godwin's Law about 40k references.

Would you have preferred I said the Catholic Church and the Kings of Europe during the Dark Ages?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Scoundrel animations are hilarious. And it is kinda funny because the agent equivalent, instead of using his boot, yanks out a giant fuckoff blade and stabs it into his enemies sternum.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Act 3

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Master Arca looks good...

Previously while alive!

I think he's missing a few wrinkles.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Inferior posted:

The three inhabitants of the Noetikon of Light are Master Noab Hulis, Master Nomi Da'Boda and Master Wole Vahn. Of the three Nomi Da'Boda is probably the most interesting- she was a big hero of the Tales of the Jedi comic series, was head of the Jedi Order following the Great Sith War and has been referenced throughout the Star Wars Expanded Universe since. She used to be called Nomi Sunrider but mysterious copyright complications led to the name change. Of the others: Noab Hulis was mentioned once as being a Jedi Master in the Tales of the Jedi companion book, and Wole Vahn is a new character.

Noooot quite. Nomi Da'Boda wasn't ever in the Tales comics, it was Nomi Sunrider. At some point one of her kids family name became "Da'Boda" through marriage and a decendant ended up as a crazy wrinkled force-hobo on Nar Shadda, but that isn't for a couple thousand years.

And Nomi Sunriders master was a dinosaur.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Thunderfinger posted:

What else has the female Sith inquisitor been in?

*one quick IMDB*

Basically nothing. Three out of the other four entries on IMDb are "Woman" "receptionist" "reporter". The last is not out yet. I'm a bit suspicious because she does wayyy to good a job at the Sith to have it be her first VA.

I think that one of the worst parts, to me, about the whole "Must have it voiced!" thing, is that it kinda ruins the ability to roleplay. IF you're a female trooper and want to RP as a nasty bitch, the voice doesn't work right.

And even then, sometimes the voice WORKS, but it's in such a way that you feel like your character is less malacious about what they're doing, and more "sorry I have to burn out your eye sockets with rusted spoons... it's for the greater good!".

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Has the stupidest light/dark choice involving politics on this planet shown up yet?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dolash posted:

Once we're through with Coruscant you'll be able to look back and judge which one you found the most galling. I found Senator Kayl's dilemma pretty reasonable, since Darkside options are often "greater good/the road to hell paved with good intentions", especially with the Republic.

Edit: VVVV There's actually a smuggler ability called that. "Shoot First".

I'm referring to one that involves the democratic process, a stupid senate aide, and the stupidest LS/DS option around.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Inferior posted:

I've put this image in to show off how Jolune holds her lightsaber while running- the Jedi and Sith characters hold their sabers differently depending on their class- Knights & Warriors hold their sabers forward in a “Western” swordsman stance, while Consulars & Inquisitors hold their sabers behind them in a more “Eastern” samurai (or at least the samurai cliche) style. I thought it was a nice touch.
There's more variation than that. Jedi Guardians are very foreward with their swords. Juggernauts (the Sith equiv) stand and with the saber hit at their hip point out like a phallus.

I don't know about the multi-saber guys, but these two made me lament making my Sith the Murauder and my Jedi the tank. The sith just looks more badass.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

This, plus a single-bladed saber for Kira. Double blades are for posers.

You calling Exar Kun a poser?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

He got smugged to death (undeath? re-death?) by Corran Horn, so yeah.

But he also managed to kill C'thulu, President of the Galactic Senate.

As to the saber decision. I realize that you can use single sabers as a shadow/assassin/sentinel/Murauder, but don't you lose out on damage from that second strike on everything?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

The thing you're discussing is exactly why they've got armor type limits for transmog. in WoW. You need to be able to visually distinguish what sort of character someone is as best as possible (though there are still funny things you can pull like my warlock friend who's got a whole set of gear mogged to look like priest cloth).

Well, not just the "looks like another class" thing. But I've seen warriors scampering around looking like Conan the Barbarian, but that look is usually given to Rogues.

The hard part with TOR is that all the gear looks the same no matter the spec/advanced class, except the weapons. All the jedi/sith are gonna be wearing robes, with only Juggernaughts and Guardians getting armor. And there is no major distinction between their role and what they're wearing, so a Guardian's three specs all look exactly the same. In WoW you can usually tell tanks and healers based off of something they're wearing/buffed as (shields, type of weapons, Shadow Form for the "not healing" priests...) not so much here.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

He said he doesn't consume fan fiction.

I'm now imagining Cheryl attempting to devour a stack of paper like it's nobodies business.

Also, on taris, be prepared for one of the most confusing Dark/Light choices. Although realistically it's not even Dark/Light.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

should be noted, siding with the more recent owners=dark side, siding with aliens=light side.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The odd thing about Taris is that it should be partly like Telos (given they're basically doing the exact same thing on the two planets). I mean they obviously had to scale down the level of damage done by the bombardment, but the more I think of it, the more it seems like they partly wanted to just toss Telos in, but an exec said "screw you, it's Taris!" and they had to retool everything.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Servetus posted:

I don't know, on Telos the only ruins they put in was the underground bunker, the planet's surface was wiped clean and they were actually trying to create an ecology by dropping dangerous animals from other worlds, which I suppose makes sense to an ithorian. On Taris the planet city got smashed but the planet seems pretty alive, no real ecosystem damage other than the Rakghouls

[EU Nerd]
Plus, with the Muur Talisman, the original source of the Rakghoul plague, buried beneath the Ice of Jebble for the last few centuries the only way there could still be Rakghouls around is if enough of the planet's surface survived to sustain them. [/EU Nerd] :hist101: (this needs a lightsaber and a different helmet)

Well, that was my point (the upper paragraph), there's been 300 years since the Telos restoration, so what we get from Taris could have easily been reworked to an out of control ecology on Telos. And with the Bunkers etc it'd make more sense to have at least a few pieces of rubble left from the restoration program (before things went wayyy off the rails).

As to EU nerd, I will be going off in the current Knights of the Old Republic LP once they reach the planets in Tales of the Jedi.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

To be fair, Malgus still has a jaw, he just had a grenade explode in his face (I think it was the third trailer?)

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ToztqqDcaY
Yep, the Third trailer "Hope" And it was a rocket fired by not-Temura-Morrison

Calax fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 11, 2013

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

All I can see in this update is one name. Rieekan.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dolash posted:

Whoops, didn't mean to do that. Let me fix that.

And fixed. I usually set to unlisted, must've forgotten. It'd be a real tragedy for people to miss the smuggler's delivery of his killer line. Some [flirt]s are better than others.

I find it makes an odd sort of sense that those videos were private.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

That fight is arguably one of the hardest you'll come up against. You have to use every tool that he game gives you to kill him in just the right way, and even then you're still teetering on the edge of getting sliced in half.

Unless they nerfed him since I spent half a day trying to kill him and reading a variety of forums about how to pull it off.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Has Scourge actually shown up in KOTOR and KOTOR 2, or is this a shoehorned character into those stories?

In the Revan Novel he turns up and has a vision of the Knight player character being the one to defeat the Emperor... so when Revan is about to with the help of the Exile, Scourge walks up and kills the Exile allowing Revan to be overpowered by the Emperor.

I sort of imagine it as a teacher going "no no no no, this won't do... the light side can't win yet!"

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Archonex posted:

Plus, Shadows of the Empire N64 was the best Star Wars game and i'll hear no back talk about it. :colbert:
Tie Fighter would like a word with you sir.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Inferior posted:

I'm pretty sure Belsavis itself is in the same boat, it originally showed up in books set around the prequel time period with the implication that it's only recently been settled (and nothing about any ancient prison). I guess you could handwave that it was abandoned and then rediscovered later.

Still, it's not like any of it is canon any more. :v:

First mention of it was Children of the Jedi I think (at least in our chronology).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Who in the world could possibly think that a loving Voss faction was a proper expenditure of dev time? Every time I learn more about this game it looks more like a partially averted trainwreck.

I'm not even sure about partially.

• Locked thread