Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

So you're a couple steps above me in the corporate rat race, but I'll give you my impressions.

Choice #1 is basically what you're waiting for. Leadership in a new market, no fixed role means you are in the drivers seat, could be a tremendous amount of work and could permanently burn you at this company but it's a real, big O, Opportunity. The kind of thing you look back on and say "My life changed quite a bit because I took that" for better or worse. These don't come along too often but that doesn't mean they should be blindly leapt in.

Choice #3 is trading increased quality of life in exchange for career velocity. I'll give you a little crystal ball hint: You won't be really any happier in your life with more money and a higher title. So if you took this option you could be much happier if you put your energy and extra time into something else. Or you don't and you could get very bored and bitter. As a guy with kids and outside work interests I've made that trade a couple times and I'm really really happy I did, but also I'm a middle-manager with an outside-the-core team so take that for what it's worth.

I see no benefit to #2 unless there is something specific you think you can do or the team is in an amazing locale or something.

And yes, you should try to influence this, but soft touch usually goes further in these kinds of things. CFO wouldn't be sending you on these fact finding missions without wanting you to make some sort of decision, but also realize there may be running cogs you just don't see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm in the UK at 27 years old and I've never had stable job. My work history has wide gaps in it on account of me making poor life choices.

Beefeater1980 gave you some great advice. I'll add that go do a couple days of gig economy enough so you can fake it then lie and say during the gaps that's what you were doing. It's a plausible story, it doesn't really hurt anyone, and while you'll still need to deal with explaining why you quit your jobs at least you're keeping discussions around professional spheres which is easier for most people to talk about and most employers to listen to.

I usually discourage lying in resumes/interviews but this is a place where I think it's justified.

Based on the fact that you have some artistic talent and writing ability, I'd also look at something like this:
https://generalassemb.ly/education/user-experience-design-immersive/london

I have no idea if this is a good bootcamp or not but just giving you an idea of what exists in London. You need to have your poo poo together to jump into one of these, and realize it WILL be hard but a decent, reasonably low stress (compared to manual labor or food service) job could be at the other end.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
#1 could open doors succeed or fail.

If you want to brand yourself as a growth kind of guy then here is the opportunity. Even if you fail, well these things often do and people know that. They will value your experience regardless. You might need to change companies and aggressively network to capitalize.

#2 could actually be good if you're interested in that country. It would also be good experience as you've gone abroad and kept a ship afloat (versus launching something). Like #1 it's kind of a brand: you're a steady hand.

I think no matter the choice, you should be trying to decide what you want and lobbying for it. The worst thing is to just sit and do nothing.

chessrp
Jan 1, 2020
I’m looking for a highly efficient way to make a living, and I’m wondering if cybersecurity could be it.

I’m 30. Although I consider myself to be intelligent, dependable, and hardworking (if and when necessary), I haven’t made a comfortable income at any time in my life. I’m looking to change that. An acquaintance who has worked in cybersecurity for the past 3 years says that his 100% remote job requires 4 hours of work per week and pays 6 figures. If I could find a job that was even 1/2 as good — i.e., a remote job working 4 hours/wk for $50k — I think I would be pretty happy.

As an undergrad in my late twenties (B.S. Horticulture), I stumbled into entrepreneurship. I started a company and raised $70k by (1) pitching my startup in pitch competitions and (2) getting university and state grants. After graduating, I raised ~$200k from angel investors. As is common with founders, I’ve taken a very low (<$20k) salary. I literally eat oatmeal, rice, and beans every day.

Because this is getting old, and I’m not sure if I should keep pouring all my time/energy into my startup, I’m looking for advice on which positions I should apply for based on my work experience. My tentative goal is to eventually end up in cybersecurity, making a living by not working that much. My hypothesis is that getting a job in the IT field in general (as a UI tester, for instance) will eventually lead to an open door into cybersecurity.

I’m wondering if my logic/plan makes sense given my work experience (below). If not, any advice on coming up with a better plan is much appreciated.

Founder/Inventor (1 issued patent, 2 others pending); 2016 - present
1. Define scope and objectives/direct a team of developers including hardware, software, firmware, and enclosure designer to take two different IoT products from POC to alpha, beta, and then sales phase
2. Identify bugs and propose solutions (i.e., translate customer “needs” into new features), validate fixes, and ensure follow through to all product/test phases
3. Perform all aspects of testing (e.g., functional, API, mobile/web UI, UAT); hands-on experience navigating Postman
4. Develop and contribute best practices and standards for deployment across multiple medium/large scale projects/accounts
5. Communicate test status to internal project team and clients
6. Direct contract manufacturer to ensure successful hardware assembly, flashing, testing, and potting
7. Present to decision makers at three major corporations in the market regarding hardware and/or API integration, licensing, and acquisition
8. Exhibit at or attend 10+ industry trade shows to develop business-development relationships with strategic partners and to acquire new customers
9. Manage relationship with network service provider (Comcast machineQ); negotiate low, “grandfathered” service rates and acquire a $10,000 subsidy for product development
10. Provide monthly progress reports to investors

chessrp fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 1, 2020

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Your profile could be a good fit for product positions. Feature decisions, stakeholder mgmt, communication, leadership etc. Pay is good hours are generally decent.

There aren't too many entry-level positions and the career path is not well defined. But that might to your advantage as someone accustomed to those things.

I don't think you'd even need to start entry-level if you got some nomenclature down and sold yourself well. Some companies love former entrepreneurs in those roles.

Sales might be an option too although it would most likely be 40+ and travel. Some sales guys have carved out a very cushy position with repeat customers and referrals.

I don't know too much about cyber security, but the guys I know who are good are very passionate. It's def a hot job right now, but are you interested in the field or just the $/time ratio?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

"I only work 4 hours a week" sounds like either false boasting, not exactly true "I don't consider the time spent in meetings, logging updates, doing audits "work" even though that accounts for 25+ hours in a week", or he is underutilized and eventually that'll catch up with him. Also, even if he is only working 4 hours a week security jobs are not typically that unless he's doing his own consulting work, in which case he's only billing that time or committing fraud. I would probably be realistic and not count on the "job that puts me in top 10% of income earners for only working the length of an extended Lord of The Rings movie per week". Things that sound too good to be true, you know?

There is no such thing as "Wanted: Entry level cyber security person with no security background for 100% remote work". Because, uhh, that sounds super duper risky. Usually to fall into a role like that the pathway is going through some combination of sys/cloud admin, light touch development, and some specialized experience with industry specific ISO/NIST and industry specific standards. Its kind of a tough thing to jump into entry-ish level with that goal in mind.

Xguard86 posted:

Your profile could be a good fit for product positions. Feature decisions, stakeholder mgmt, communication, leadership etc. Pay is good hours are generally decent.

There aren't too many entry-level positions and the career path is not well defined. But that might to your advantage as someone accustomed to those things.

I don't think you'd even need to start entry-level if you got some nomenclature down and sold yourself well. Some companies love former entrepreneurs in those roles.

Sales might be an option too although it would most likely be 40+ and travel. Some sales guys have carved out a very cushy position with repeat customers and referrals.

I don't know too much about cyber security, but the guys I know who are good are very passionate. It's def a hot job right now, but are you interested in the field or just the $/time ratio?

Yeah, completely agree. You are an IoT Product Manager already, with an inside track to management. Go pursue that. It won't involve 4 hour workweeks, but neither does cyber security. It's a good job and you have a helluva head start down that track.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm an MD (late twenties), but rules and regulations mean that the ability to actually practice medicine varies from country to country, so I'm probably sticking to my home turf (W. Europe) since it's far easier and I like the political climate. I'm currently pursuing a PhD as well (clinical research), and I was wondering about non-hospital/practitioner jobs. How do you get your foot into the door in the private sector as an MD? I don't have an MBA or anything, never wore a necktie, etc. Are there even any private sector places specifically looking for MD/MD-PhDs? I've mostly seen pharma orgs looking for anyone with a pulse and a biomedical degree.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

I'm an MD (late twenties), but rules and regulations mean that the ability to actually practice medicine varies from country to country, so I'm probably sticking to my home turf (W. Europe) since it's far easier and I like the political climate. I'm currently pursuing a PhD as well (clinical research), and I was wondering about non-hospital/practitioner jobs. How do you get your foot into the door in the private sector as an MD? I don't have an MBA or anything, never wore a necktie, etc. Are there even any private sector places specifically looking for MD/MD-PhDs? I've mostly seen pharma orgs looking for anyone with a pulse and a biomedical degree.

Not in medtech but my wife is and works with a number of clinical researchers.

Yeah, in the States its mostly pharma/med-tech. Places like Medtronic hire lots of MDs, though what might be tripping you up is they frequently don't 100% require an MD, but it is a huge advantage and will change your career path quite a bit. You don't need an MBA (eventually it may help) but as to specific technical expertise that will depend wildly. It may be tough until you actually get that Clinical Research PhD, but at that point I imagine lots of doors will be open.

You might want to see if theres a higher-end 3rd party recruiter around in the med-tech industry. They might be able to walk you through realistic scenarios, and I imagine a lot of PhDs are hired via that route.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Working in the States is a big 'if' for me, though. Foreign MDs being worth less and the political climate and all. At least the language isn't a barrier.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

please knock Mom! posted:

Working in the States is a big 'if' for me, though. Foreign MDs being worth less and the political climate and all. At least the language isn't a barrier.

I mean, I'm not going to pretend to understand the intricacies of medical licensing, but I know first hand that when I recently was looking for a new primary doctor in my large metropolitan area (because I had moved), more than 50% of the doctors who were actually available to see patients had foreign MDs. A lot from the Philippines, etc.

I suppose this cuts both ways. These doctors are clearly working for large urban healthcare providers. But I suppose you could also argue that the reason they were available to see patients (while other doctors were not booking new patients) is because they were foreigners.

It's America though, so being a vaguely whitish European foreigner might actually get you more patients. We just distrust the brown doctors here.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

SlyFrog posted:

I mean, I'm not going to pretend to understand the intricacies of medical licensing, but I know first hand that when I recently was looking for a new primary doctor in my large metropolitan area (because I had moved), more than 50% of the doctors who were actually available to see patients had foreign MDs. A lot from the Philippines, etc. I suppose this cuts both ways. These doctors are clearly working for large urban healthcare providers. But I suppose you could also argue that the reason they were available to see patients (while other doctors were not booking new patients) is because they were foreigners. It's America though, so being a vaguely whitish European foreigner might actually get you more patients. We just distrust the brown doctors here.

I'm brown. The summary is that to practice medicine in the US, you need to pass the multi part US medical licensing exam which is just a ton of expensive hoops to jump through. And yeah, if you're a non-competitive MD (international w/o pedigree, for example) you're most likely going to do primary care a lot. Anyway, I'm more looking for non-practitioner type things. I can be a practitioner over here just fine, but it's nice to have other options.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think a lot of those medtech companies do a lot of overseas work too. So even if you don't want to come to the US I would expect the private clinical research jobs would be broadly similar.

Also, most of those jobs you can get in the US without being licensed. That doesn't solve the political climate problem, but having a PhD and working in the medical industry mostly solves those political problems around these parts!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It sucks that primary care is considered a bad position; everyone needs primary care all their lives and specialized care only occasionally.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

taqueso posted:

It sucks that primary care is considered a bad position; everyone needs primary care all their lives and specialized care only occasionally.

I like primary care. It's just undercompensated and there's not a lot of room for research, so since I'm mainly looking for non-practitioner avenues to pursue I didn't mention it. I'm really mainly looking for alternatives in case I don't want to go back to practicing after my doctorate.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I didn't mean anything against you or really anyone deciding how to make their future better in this hosed up world, I was just reminded that it was a thing.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You seem to want to practice medicine, at least based on the response that you can't move, but are getting a PHD that would move you away from practicing.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Well the PhD is a pathway to specializing over here since it's a clinical one linked to a teaching hospital. Right now, I'm pretty set on practicing. However, I wanted to know about some avenues for not practicing, and I got some cool answers. Thanks for the help, guys.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Tell me how to get elected to the United States House of Representatives.

Link your best resources, my friends.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The requirements for getting on the ballot are going to vary by state. Check here for general information.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

grab onto the coattails of some slimeball that's already there and can grease the skids for you

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

• Go to your local Election Office and ask for a copy of the voting records for your district for the past 3 elections where the job that you want was on the ballot.
  • Compile a list of people who voted in every single one of those last 3 elections and group them by neighborhood.
  • Look up the results of the past 3 elections to see how many votes they needed to actually win.
  • Spend all day every day traveling around from neighborhood to neighborhood and knocking on everyone's doors based on that list you made in the earlier bullet point to ask them to sign a petition to get you on the ballot.
  • Assuming you got enough signatures, do another go-around to remind them to vote for you and to thank them for their signatures.
  • Make some sort of tangible paper thing that you can leave on everyone's doors or give to them in person that covers the main point(s) that you think will convince those "good voters" to vote for you.
  • Call or e-mail as many of those people as you can in the final week of the campaign to remind them why they should vote for you and ask them to remind their friends, family, or neighbors to vote for you as well.
  • Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 5, 2020

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

chessrp posted:

I’m looking for a highly efficient way to make a living, and I’m wondering if cybersecurity could be it.

I’m 30. Although I consider myself to be intelligent, dependable, and hardworking (if and when necessary), I haven’t made a comfortable income at any time in my life. I’m looking to change that. An acquaintance who has worked in cybersecurity for the past 3 years says that his 100% remote job requires 4 hours of work per week and pays 6 figures. If I could find a job that was even 1/2 as good — i.e., a remote job working 4 hours/wk for $50k — I think I would be pretty happy.

As an undergrad in my late twenties (B.S. Horticulture), I stumbled into entrepreneurship. I started a company and raised $70k by (1) pitching my startup in pitch competitions and (2) getting university and state grants. After graduating, I raised ~$200k from angel investors. As is common with founders, I’ve taken a very low (<$20k) salary. I literally eat oatmeal, rice, and beans every day.

Because this is getting old, and I’m not sure if I should keep pouring all my time/energy into my startup, I’m looking for advice on which positions I should apply for based on my work experience. My tentative goal is to eventually end up in cybersecurity, making a living by not working that much. My hypothesis is that getting a job in the IT field in general (as a UI tester, for instance) will eventually lead to an open door into cybersecurity.

I’m wondering if my logic/plan makes sense given my work experience (below). If not, any advice on coming up with a better plan is much appreciated.

Founder/Inventor (1 issued patent, 2 others pending); 2016 - present
1. Define scope and objectives/direct a team of developers including hardware, software, firmware, and enclosure designer to take two different IoT products from POC to alpha, beta, and then sales phase
2. Identify bugs and propose solutions (i.e., translate customer “needs” into new features), validate fixes, and ensure follow through to all product/test phases
3. Perform all aspects of testing (e.g., functional, API, mobile/web UI, UAT); hands-on experience navigating Postman
4. Develop and contribute best practices and standards for deployment across multiple medium/large scale projects/accounts
5. Communicate test status to internal project team and clients
6. Direct contract manufacturer to ensure successful hardware assembly, flashing, testing, and potting
7. Present to decision makers at three major corporations in the market regarding hardware and/or API integration, licensing, and acquisition
8. Exhibit at or attend 10+ industry trade shows to develop business-development relationships with strategic partners and to acquire new customers
9. Manage relationship with network service provider (Comcast machineQ); negotiate low, “grandfathered” service rates and acquire a $10,000 subsidy for product development
10. Provide monthly progress reports to investors

Do you run your business and life like Tim Ferris? I’m getting that vibe. If so, reassess.

If not, let me know where you find the 2 hour a week 50k job. I’ll pick up 20 of them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK effortpost incoming: I need a career path. I've got a degree in audio/visual production, but didn't go to Hollywood/NYC to pursue it when I had the chance and now I'm definitely too old (40) to be chasing that dream and being a PA. Instead I spent the last ten years in B2B sales, client onboarding (teaching my company's services to end users) and various computer-toucher but non-coding skills. I took a bunch of (near-useless) career-coaching tests online that were hilariously buzzfeed quiz level (1-5, would you like to Assemble Cabinets? How about design a national ad campaign? gee lemme think if I'd like the prestigious, high-paying creative job vs manual labor :geno: )
I just legitimately have no idea what sort of roles to target. The problem I face (I feel) is that I just didn't specialize and carve out a niche to exploit, I'm just a generally useful and trainable guy to have around, but I don't know what careers/jobs that translates into. My biggest strength is probably being able to 'walk in both worlds' and translate nerd into commoner, and my biggest weakness is poor time management. I work best under high pressure; if given time to gently caress around I will.

Help?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

OK effortpost incoming: I need a career path. I've got a degree in audio/visual production, but didn't go to Hollywood/NYC to pursue it when I had the chance and now I'm definitely too old (40) to be chasing that dream and being a PA. Instead I spent the last ten years in B2B sales, client onboarding (teaching my company's services to end users) and various computer-toucher but non-coding skills. I took a bunch of (near-useless) career-coaching tests online that were hilariously buzzfeed quiz level (1-5, would you like to Assemble Cabinets? How about design a national ad campaign? gee lemme think if I'd like the prestigious, high-paying creative job vs manual labor :geno: )
I just legitimately have no idea what sort of roles to target. The problem I face (I feel) is that I just didn't specialize and carve out a niche to exploit, I'm just a generally useful and trainable guy to have around, but I don't know what careers/jobs that translates into. My biggest strength is probably being able to 'walk in both worlds' and translate nerd into commoner, and my biggest weakness is poor time management. I work best under high pressure; if given time to gently caress around I will.

Help?

Sales Engineering would be a potential role, those roles can have a range of technical requirements but can be pretty lucrative. You should also look at various account management roles, technical skills can be very valuable there.

If you have some domain specific knowledge you can look into product management, but time management there is really important.

What skills and domain knowledge do you have? With the experience you describe it's probably going to do a matter of jumping to something not too far away from what you have been doing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shrecknet posted:

...my biggest weakness is poor time management. I work best under high pressure; if given time to gently caress around I will.

If you haven't already, you might want to look into ADHD symptoms and see what other ones you have.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Technical training is literally a job that exists, and it pays pretty well. It generally involves travel, though.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.
Is it a huge faux pas to apply for jobs that say "Remote - US" when I live in Europe?

The background: I'm a US citizen, currently living and working in western Europe. I plan to move back to the US in about 8-12 months (waiting on some personal stuff to happen first). I have decent job security right now, but I'm looking for something new for various reasons. Many US companies that I'm interested in have some kind of presence in my current country - even if it's just a handful of sales reps and account managers - but my type of role tends to be based in the US. Of course, I'd be fine with working weird hours and/or traveling as needed. I don't have kids and my schedule is super flexible. FWIW, I have "director" in my title but that's kind of artificially inflated, so I'm looking at senior-level individual contributor roles.

I usually have a "can't hurt to ask" attitude about work things, but I know that can irritate people. My industry is pretty small and I don't want to be remembered as an applicant who was stupid or oblivious or entitled.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't think it would annoy people if you are qualified (I always like to see qualified people apply even if there is a location/salary/whatever problem. It lets me know what the market is). However, in general it's a giant PIA for a US company to manage a W-2 Employee overseas. Some companies may be able to manage it if they have a present in the EU though.

So I'd say go for it but expectations should be pretty low on getting any sort of response.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You could mention your desire to move back in a cover letter. Not sure if that would be a plus or not but possibly?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

spwrozek posted:

You could mention your desire to move back in a cover letter. Not sure if that would be a plus or not but possibly?

I don't think he was planning on moving back? I wouldn't say that unless it was true, moving back like that is a huge pain for both sides and it'd be tough to keep up a charade.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

Lockback posted:

I don't think he was planning on moving back? I wouldn't say that unless it was true, moving back like that is a huge pain for both sides and it'd be tough to keep up a charade.

I do plan to move back, because of non-job-related stuff; I'm hoping it will happen this year, but realistically, it'll probably be early next year. But I would definitely strongly prefer to keep the same job before and after the move, if I can.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Clowning posted:

I do plan to move back, because of non-job-related stuff; I'm hoping it will happen this year, but realistically, it'll probably be early next year. But I would definitely strongly prefer to keep the same job before and after the move, if I can.

Oh poo poo, I totally misread that, I thought you said you moved back to the EU. Yeah, so that does change things a bit. You can mention you are planning on moving back, but without a hard date most companies are not going to trust that too much.

Do you have a relation's house near a city you can use? Saying that you are moving back there on such and such date might make things easier, then you can figure out living arrangements later.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lockback posted:

Oh poo poo, I totally misread that, I thought you said you moved back to the EU. Yeah, so that does change things a bit. You can mention you are planning on moving back, but without a hard date most companies are not going to trust that too much.

Do you have a relation's house near a city you can use? Saying that you are moving back there on such and such date might make things easier, then you can figure out living arrangements later.

The lack of definite date was where I was unsure of how valuable mentioning if would be. I think I would still bring it up. Hard to say though.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, it's tough... I'm waiting for legal process to finish in my current country, and it involves the government, so the only timeline they'll give me is basically :shrug:. And I need to be employed here until it's finished (so I'm only looking at companies I know have a legal entity over here). I guess I'm waffling because the safest thing to do is stick it out in my current job, but there's a bunch of management upheaval and office politics and other stuff that's making me want to leave. There's one open position that I would be interested in even if I weren't trying to escape that crap, so I'm thinking about applying with a brief explanation of the situation in my cover letter, just to test the waters.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a 30 year old, and I'm looking to change fields and careers. Throughout my undergrad and graduate academic career, I've studied religion (mostly Catholicism and Buddhism), using different disciplines to find some unique point of view that culminated in a published peer reviewed journal. After a bit of a quarter life crisis I started working retail, and hated it, and then I managed to get an adjunct position with a local community college and managed to hate it somehow even more. To make a long story short, even though my department heads desperately wanted me to return this past semester an incident where a student nearly hit me left me with panic attacks so severe I could barely finish out the semester, let alone teach another one. I managed to leave on good terms with my department heads, who seemed to genuinely understand my predicament, but it left me unemployed and burned out of the one career my degree was useful for.

I've since been looking into administrative work and research work, with little success. I don't know if it's a problem of me not selling myself well, or what, but I'm thinking of going back to school for a more relevant degree. I'd like to work labor relations between management and workers with unions like SEIU or AFL-CIO, which obviously requires me to learn labor law. Does anyone know if a certificate, in combination with my education and experience, would make me competitive? Or should I go for a master's degree? I'm mostly looking into paralegal work, but its lack of credentialing and consistent duties and requirements makes it difficult to figure out what I'm missing. Any advice would be most appreciated, even if it's just "lol dumbass" even though that's not really advice

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
Hey all. Hope this is the right thread to post in about this. All I want to do is have a job where I mess around with computers all day. Currently in helpdesk and am becoming rather drained of it and want to move into something more comfortable. I have about 3-ish years of experience in the IT field and I feel like I would be a decent sysadmin. I'm aware that in IT, experience is king. Do I need to just suck it up and continue to be a helpdesk corporate slave? I have heard that some people on SA offer resume writing services and I feel that such a thing can help me get what I want. Can someone point me in that direction?

Thank you so much for your input!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SGR posted:

Hey all. Hope this is the right thread to post in about this. All I want to do is have a job where I mess around with computers all day. Currently in helpdesk and am becoming rather drained of it and want to move into something more comfortable. I have about 3-ish years of experience in the IT field and I feel like I would be a decent sysadmin. I'm aware that in IT, experience is king. Do I need to just suck it up and continue to be a helpdesk corporate slave? I have heard that some people on SA offer resume writing services and I feel that such a thing can help me get what I want. Can someone point me in that direction?

Thank you so much for your input!

There is a Resume thread where you can post your resume and what you want to get out of it and you will get some very good (and direct) advice.

For your particular situation, I'll try to give some advice here. I've been managing support, sysops, devops and software engineers for the past 10+ years. What is holding you back is probably not time but skills and qualifications. There are a few things you should be doing to get ready. Straight Sysadmins are becoming rare and sysops/devops are way more likely fits for new comers. So to do that you need some development/automation skills. I'd suggest a Python Git repository with some examples, and if you don't know Python spend 6 weeks learning it and I am sure you can find some tasks in your job that can be automated to build those skills. Doing some hands-on work with AWS/Azure (there are cheap/free learning accounts available), Learning Groovy/CICD (Udemy works here) and maybe learn some containerization topics like Kubernetes or PCF or whatever.

I'm giving you probably 3+ months of work to get to even "Some Skill" on these, but you'll need to think out to that point. There are $100k+ jobs available within a few years if you can move forward with these skills.

You should also consider finding a role where you can grow more technically if you think that's a problem at your current place. Application Support can be a lot more technical than Help Desk, where you work directly with engineering and doing more B2B work. You might even want to consider doing that even if it is a small step back in salary. Of course, taking a new job might delay before you get the next one to plan accordingly.

Sharing your resume in the resume thread (same forum as this) is a good first step though.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm currently making around $17/hr with a monthly bonus (calculated in an annoying way) that equates to roughly a $1-$3/hr boost for that month, so essentially I make between $17-$20/hour. It's not TERRIBLE, and I have benefits, but I feel like I could probably get more somewhere else. But I'm not sure if it's even worth doing that, this job has enormous flexibility to the point where I could probably work a part time job simultaneously without it impacting my performance here, plus I'm planning on substitute teaching once or twice a week in a month or so and I should be able to do that without having to lose a day of pay at this job. I'm not entirely sure if the money I'm making now is good or not, it's a relatively low position and I don't have a ton of experience in jobs in general. Is it smarter to stay here where the pay is okay/decent and I have the flexibility to do a lot of stuff, or should I find another job that (theoretically) pays me more but I lose the flexibility? This isn't a field I'm planning on staying in long-term so I'm not really getting much out of it other than the pay.

I feel like I should stay but I want people to validate me

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
I do digital marketing for a company that does events.

Should I start looking for a new job now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm currently making around $17/hr with a monthly bonus (calculated in an annoying way) that equates to roughly a $1-$3/hr boost for that month, so essentially I make between $17-$20/hour. It's not TERRIBLE, and I have benefits, but I feel like I could probably get more somewhere else. But I'm not sure if it's even worth doing that, this job has enormous flexibility to the point where I could probably work a part time job simultaneously without it impacting my performance here, plus I'm planning on substitute teaching once or twice a week in a month or so and I should be able to do that without having to lose a day of pay at this job. I'm not entirely sure if the money I'm making now is good or not, it's a relatively low position and I don't have a ton of experience in jobs in general. Is it smarter to stay here where the pay is okay/decent and I have the flexibility to do a lot of stuff, or should I find another job that (theoretically) pays me more but I lose the flexibility? This isn't a field I'm planning on staying in long-term so I'm not really getting much out of it other than the pay.

I feel like I should stay but I want people to validate me

Are you in school or otherwise gaining some skills that are going to help you get to whatever field you want to get into? If not, then staying in a relatively low paying dead end (by your description) job is probably not a good idea, even if there is flexibility. Otherwise no one can really answer the "Flexibility VS Money" question other than you. I personally favor flexibility quite a bit, but I think you will very, very quickly find that $18-$20 an hour will be pretty limiting as you start getting older. I can't really tell you what that's worth though.

riseofmydick posted:

I do digital marketing for a company that does events.

Should I start looking for a new job now?

Its going to be a rough couple quarters, yeah.