Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Sorry is this is too open ended or just plain wrong for this thread, it seemed like the best fit aside from opening a new one. I'm currently working in pharma as a scientist after 5 years I have discovered that I hate it. I want to transition to something else and would like to know what's the best way to start this process?

Do I choose what I want to do and try to work towards it or do I find something that my skill set can be shore horned into?

Should I plan on having to go back to school for engineering or project management depending on what I look into doing?

When I'm talking to prospective employers either in person or in cover letters how the hell do you convince someone to consider you when you're coming from a different field?

Would it be weird to 'sample' prospective jobs as an intern when your 30?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
27 and I am currently doing Technical Support for a Hospital, despise it and the career path I've chosen (IT Support). I've done it for a little over three years at this point and really want out of it, but don't really know where to go. I graduated from school with a specialization in Digital Media, and plan on going back to school to get a certificate in Sound Design. However, until I have the money for that, I am still stuck in the position I am in. I don't know how to do a lateral move using the skills I have with technical support. My dream would be working outside a bunch, but I know that isn't realistic. I just don't have a clue what else I can be doing with a degree in Information Systems/Digital Media. I don't think I would hate what I'm doing half as much if I was at a company that I was interested in, but the job listings are so barren in that (Seattle/Tacoma area), and really don't know what I should be doing. I know I should be doing something more creative than being a computer janitor right now.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Combatace posted:

but the job listings are so barren in that (Seattle/Tacoma area)

Not sure where you're looking but the general tech industry is bananas in the Seattle area. Anything but barren.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

Not sure where you're looking but the general tech industry is bananas in the Seattle area. Anything but barren.

I know! I am using Indeed and Dice primarily for my search. So much of what I see is contract work which I really don't want to do, and couple with a general lack of passion for the industry, I probably am not giving some of the things I see a serious chance. Part of it is also I just never know what to search for. IT Technician? Computer Support? Desktop Support They all come up with the same positions, and none of them are exciting to me.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Sorry is this is too open ended or just plain wrong for this thread, it seemed like the best fit aside from opening a new one. I'm currently working in pharma as a scientist after 5 years I have discovered that I hate it. I want to transition to something else and would like to know what's the best way to start this process?

Do I choose what I want to do and try to work towards it or do I find something that my skill set can be shore horned into?

Should I plan on having to go back to school for engineering or project management depending on what I look into doing?

When I'm talking to prospective employers either in person or in cover letters how the hell do you convince someone to consider you when you're coming from a different field?

Would it be weird to 'sample' prospective jobs as an intern when your 30?

Hoping someone can help on this post, since I'm in a structurally similar situation.

Currently in a Wall Street finance job working 60+ hours a week (often much higher than 60) doing work I don't enjoy. Making matters worse, I'm based out of a satellite site, so pay doesn't really align with the job requirements. Looking at my current situation, I can go elsewhere and get paid better for working the same hours, or (my preference) have a better work/life balance for flat or a slightly lower pay.

Thing is I want to stay in my current city (family/fiancee are here + i like the city), so job market in my field is incredibly limited.

Does anyone have experience with making a radical career shift like this? Especially with a goal of changing work/life balance?

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Does anyone have suggestions for how to get/prepare for quantitative UX researcher roles? It seems like a lot of them are a bit geared towards PhDs who decide not to go into academia. I'm not sure how one is supposed to compete with this without getting a PhD, but getting a PhD without the intent to actually become an academic seems like a bad idea.

I have an OK background, with a semi-related undergrad and a few years of applied psych/econ work w/ professors in the field. I can't tell if I need to just get a secondary or tertiary degree though. I'm planning to reach out to people on Linkedin with questions, but would love any suggestions or advice.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I work in ecommerce fashion marketing and work for a completely unknown manufacturer that owns several brands but does hundreds and hundreds of millions in revenue each year. I am more or less a one man band at my company working on the ecommerce end of things (marketing & project management) while my other coworkers are working on merchandising and buying.

I see the ceiling because I work for the CEO (I am in my late 20s) and I can't really get above him so it's either I grow with the division or people are going to get hired between me and him. I'd like to move toward doing only marketing for very high end brands (think Louis Vuitton, Chanel, etc) but have run into a lot of trouble getting jobs at these companies because of my experience. Lack of general luxury experience is the big problem, my company is really mid-market ONLY. I have had several interviews at places and I have heard this several times. I don't think my career is going anywhere here and I need to boost my resume I think.

A recruiter reached out to me for an extremely well known high end retailer (think Bloomingdales, Barneys, Neiman Marcus, etc) for an ecommerce project management role. They want someone who is young and has experience in several different parts of ecommerce but can also project management. I would work for an agency and be embedded in the retailer as a 'permanent consultant' and work out of the retailer's office. Should the contract run out with this retailer, I would shift over to a different project (they have several clients).

I think this may be a good move for me but I wanted to check with you guys. I don't really want to do project management but I think getting this retailer on my resume could be a big boost because it is extremely well known, it will legitimize my resume and give me the 'luxury' experience even though I am doing only project management. What do you guys think? On top of that, I may see a 10-20% salary bump which is nice but not really that important to me, I am really more into this for increasing the visibility on my resume. My fear is that if I do this job then when I try to leave this retailer my most recent experience is going to be purely project management. Is that dooming me on my resume? Should I really only be looking for marketing jobs? Is having this big time company on my resume really going to make things easier?

Curious on your thoughts thanks!

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 15, 2017

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005
My brother has a bachelor's degree in psychology and is not sure what to do next. He is interested in a 4 month program offered by the University of Miami to obtain a paralegal certificate. Can anyone with paralegal experience give more detail on what paralegals do and what he can expect?

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Fratstar_Eatpuss fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 20, 2017

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
You could widen search toward jobs related to "Marketing" "Marketing Coordinator" etc

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So here's a question. I have degrees in Chemical Engineering and English and law degree. I was working in a specialized field in a state legislature's nonpartisan legal division for 4.5 years. I recently received an offer to be a legislative liaison (kind of like a lobbyist - mainly I thought you were responding to legislative inquiries and doing budget management) for the agency that regulates the area I specialize in, and took it. I thought it was going to be a great chance to get real policy experience and a chance to advocate after being behind the scenes for so long.

Well, it turns out this was a huge mistake. I thought I was being hired to be a subject matter expert, but what I'm actually doing is taking other subject matter experts to meetings, inviting legislators to parties, actually attending said dinners to gladhand, etc. I've been there a couple weeks and I already want to blow my brains out instead of going to the office. There's a little bit of actual policy work, but much less than I expected. I'm a pretty introverted person and the social aspects of this job are stressing me out to the point that I can barely eat and I've slept a max of 4 hours a night since I started. I think the expectations on both sides were somewhat off from reality. I feel alone and rudderless despite my coworkers insisting everyone has my back (by going to meetings with me so I don't have to answer legal or policy questions myself).

My old job has told me they would like to have me back and would call me whenever they were ready to repost the position. It wasn't ideal, but it was a hell of a lot better than this. Do I have to stick this out and give it a chance, or is it better to just be honest and tell the new job I don't think this is going to work out ASAP so they don't waste more time and resources than is needed, and can get someone in place before budget negotiations really heat up?

Fortunately my wife makes enough that finances wouldn't be an issue even if it took me a while to either get my old job back or find something new. I'm just sort of struggling with the next career move from here - this has just been the biggest mistake of my life and I am not sure how to proceed without making it worse.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

So here's a question. I have degrees in Chemical Engineering and English and law degree. I was working in a specialized field in a state legislature's nonpartisan legal division for 4.5 years. I recently received an offer to be a legislative liaison (kind of like a lobbyist - mainly I thought you were responding to legislative inquiries and doing budget management) for the agency that regulates the area I specialize in, and took it. I thought it was going to be a great chance to get real policy experience and a chance to advocate after being behind the scenes for so long.

Well, it turns out this was a huge mistake. I thought I was being hired to be a subject matter expert, but what I'm actually doing is taking other subject matter experts to meetings, inviting legislators to parties, actually attending said dinners to gladhand, etc. I've been there a couple weeks and I already want to blow my brains out instead of going to the office. There's a little bit of actual policy work, but much less than I expected. I'm a pretty introverted person and the social aspects of this job are stressing me out to the point that I can barely eat and I've slept a max of 4 hours a night since I started. I think the expectations on both sides were somewhat off from reality. I feel alone and rudderless despite my coworkers insisting everyone has my back (by going to meetings with me so I don't have to answer legal or policy questions myself).

My old job has told me they would like to have me back and would call me whenever they were ready to repost the position. It wasn't ideal, but it was a hell of a lot better than this. Do I have to stick this out and give it a chance, or is it better to just be honest and tell the new job I don't think this is going to work out ASAP so they don't waste more time and resources than is needed, and can get someone in place before budget negotiations really heat up?

Fortunately my wife makes enough that finances wouldn't be an issue even if it took me a while to either get my old job back or find something new. I'm just sort of struggling with the next career move from here - this has just been the biggest mistake of my life and I am not sure how to proceed without making it worse.

Go back. It's ok if it isn't working and it isn't worth your mental health.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Anyone out there in GIS? I'm trying to learn as much as I can but don't have much of place to start. I'm stranded for the second major time in careers and probably going to have to try something new (already have BA and MA in history). GIS was suggested in a thread I posted about environmental science-type degrees and jobs, and it at least has job prospects (environmental seemed more up in the air).

Aside from my degrees I've been all over (accounting/data entry, defense contracting/radiation safety, and last was oilfield/radiation safety). Only thing is I'm basically tethered to S. Texas.

Job search isn't going well and I'm near taking my old job back but I'll be out of town for extended periods. It will hopefully allow me to pursue a new degree though. Just can't pick something that bombs.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

gvibes posted:

I am mentoring a college kid, and am looking for any ideas on careers paths.

He's an economics major at a good midwest state school. OK grades (B+-ish). He claims to be somewhat competent programming with Swift and R. He seems like he wants to go into programming, but he doesn't really have a rigorous CS background.

I have told him that, to get a real programming job, which it sounds like he wants, he's going to need to show some actual work product, like a working app, which he is working on.

If he can't pull that off for whatever reason, what are some other career path options? Seems like there should be all sorts of banking/finance options, but I am having a hard time narrowing that down into something concrete. Prop trading is big in Chicago, but that seems to require more quant-ey type people. I'm trying to think of some areas where he can use a kind of generic economics background to do some data analysis/modeling type work.

In Chicago, if it matters.

Sorry for vagueness, but I went tech->law (for tech clients), and little visibility outside that.

Thanks all.

"Data Scientist". Make him learn Python.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Punkbob posted:

"Data Scientist". Make him learn Python.

if he has social skills consulting firms are looking for that profile but like, smarter/better.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FWIW, I have an Economics BS and became a Sr. Software Dev without formal training. I did take some programming and data modeling classes in college, but no heavy CS. But I'm a huge nerd and legitimately self-studied and built some apps and web pages and poo poo, and also worked in Software QA & automation as a transition step. So it definitely can be done, but it's not something he'll just fall in to without some real intentionality.

I've toyed with the idea, and even interviewed for, roles in data science, and it's a big murky field that means something different to everyone. At some places it's a fancy sounding title for a spreadsheet jockey, and at other places it's the team of multiple-PhD having statisticians doing actual, statistically valid analysis on enormous data sets. And there is everything in between. Ultimately it didn't really appeal to me, but it does to a lot people and there's a lot of job potential there since it is so nascent.

And yeah, if he's sociable, any sort of consulting is an option, too. I'm technically a consultant, and having some soft skills for dealing with customers and their engineering teams directly goes a long, long way. In consulting I'd rather than a B+ developer with good social/people skills than an A+ autist.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Hello everyone! I need some career advice going forward, and who better to provide it than total strangers?

About Me:

29, female, Bachelor's in art (:saddowns:), 7 years of administrative/general office experience.

I'm thinking of changing gears to IT because 1) Administrative pay blows, even if you move up into management 2) The ceiling for general Admin pay also blows 3) Since almost every office needs an Admin, my resume is starting to look more and more all over the place based on the goals of the office I worked in at the time.

I'm thinking of going into IT because it looks like it pays more overall, has more options for benefits, and looks like a stable choice going forward because people will NEED computers for the foreseeable future. As an added bonus, it appears that some particular types of IT even allow working from home (this would be huge for me, because I have several chronic health problems).

Is there any certification I should look into for entry-level work? Currently unemployed due to my health problems and waiting for a surgery appointment to pass, but this is also a great time to take any needed courses to switch my career focus so that after the surgery I can hit the ground running. If I had to pick a particular area of IT I was interested in, it would be security/antivirus, but I'll freely admit to not knowing jack poo poo.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Caveat: I've never worked in security, but I've worked closely with security teams through a lot of my career, both at the companies I've worked at, and responding to questions from security teams at other companies.

You said "security/antivirus" as an area of interest - managing an antivirus deployment is not a role I've ever seen in the broad spectrum of companies I've worked for and with.

Security can be a lot of things - you can go full nerd with networking security and spend your entire time in logs and terminals, you could be focused on vendor evaluations for a large company, etc. The less technical the role, the less valuable you are generally going to be and the more boring paperwork and regulation wrangling involved.

Here's an example of an Application Security Engineer role for a SaaS company I used to work for - https://www.jobie.com/s/4JkX2BDLAj

As you would imagine, good companies want good people with solid qualifications. Be prepared to slog through a lot of bureaucratic bullshit in entry-level security jobs unless you get super lucky, while you build up the experience and credentials to jump into a 'cool' company. Modern security engineers need to be comfortable getting their hands dirty with the details, which means developer skills.

Try figuring out how to answer the question "Why do you want to work in security?" Replace "security" with anything in "IT".

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

devoir posted:

Caveat: I've never worked in security, but I've worked closely with security teams through a lot of my career, both at the companies I've worked at, and responding to questions from security teams at other companies.

You said "security/antivirus" as an area of interest - managing an antivirus deployment is not a role I've ever seen in the broad spectrum of companies I've worked for and with.

Security can be a lot of things - you can go full nerd with networking security and spend your entire time in logs and terminals, you could be focused on vendor evaluations for a large company, etc. The less technical the role, the less valuable you are generally going to be and the more boring paperwork and regulation wrangling involved.

Here's an example of an Application Security Engineer role for a SaaS company I used to work for - https://www.jobie.com/s/4JkX2BDLAj

As you would imagine, good companies want good people with solid qualifications. Be prepared to slog through a lot of bureaucratic bullshit in entry-level security jobs unless you get super lucky, while you build up the experience and credentials to jump into a 'cool' company. Modern security engineers need to be comfortable getting their hands dirty with the details, which means developer skills.

Try figuring out how to answer the question "Why do you want to work in security?" Replace "security" with anything in "IT".

Thanks for the informative post!

What you said about people wanting qualifications is pretty similar to other industries I've looked into. Of course there's the ugly loop of "need experience to get into this entry-level job that you need to take in order to get experience". For that reason, I'm willing to accept peanuts/lovely jobs for a while. What I really need to do, if IT works, is get my resume focused on that instead of random desk monkey bullshit jobs like I have been doing previously. (And honestly my standards aren't that high...30k would make me happy. I haven't made more than $15 an hour yet.)

Does developer skills mean programming? That's the one thing that scares me, to be honest. I'm more of the creative/artist type, hence the Bachelor's Degree in art, and absolute poo poo garbage at math so if programming is anything like math doing it would be a nightmare.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

extra row of teeth posted:

Thanks for the informative post!

What you said about people wanting qualifications is pretty similar to other industries I've looked into. Of course there's the ugly loop of "need experience to get into this entry-level job that you need to take in order to get experience". For that reason, I'm willing to accept peanuts/lovely jobs for a while. What I really need to do, if IT works, is get my resume focused on that instead of random desk monkey bullshit jobs like I have been doing previously. (And honestly my standards aren't that high...30k would make me happy. I haven't made more than $15 an hour yet.)

Does developer skills mean programming? That's the one thing that scares me, to be honest. I'm more of the creative/artist type, hence the Bachelor's Degree in art, and absolute poo poo garbage at math so if programming is anything like math doing it would be a nightmare.

Pardon, I wrote my last post in a bit of a hurry and didn't communicate everything I meant to.

I see security as particularly bad with regards to the entry-level experience because it's such a low population specialization within technology roles, generally. Take, for example, technical support roles. Often times you can work your way into a tech support engineer role with a good company as long as you have the right aptitude and have made a decent showing of trying to learn relevant technology on your own terms. Most companies with dedicated security staff can't afford to screw around with low impact headcount so you're most likely going to be a peon in a terrible company that isn't going to be accommodating to your interests of working from home, flexibility, etc.

Basically, the aspects of a technology role that sound appealing to you are pretty unlikely to materialize in the short to medium term (in my opinion) with a focus on security. That's me done being a negative nancy, let's try to skin the cat with another approach. There are lots of ways to get into a tech-orientated role (within a tech company, even) without being a coder (I'm an example of this).

Let's run through some quick assumptions based on what you've posted thus far.

You are okay at dealing with people. You're not shy about hard work or paperwork. You're not particularly enamored of a highly technical role, you just see a tech gig as a way of bettering your life and career. You are more of a creative type. You don't have previous history of hard technical skills (e.g. coding or equivalent).

Roles that you might not have considered but might have a good opportunity to transition into, within the tech org at a company, or a tech company overall:
Development UX/UI.
Technical writing.
Executive assistant (specifically within a tech company or org) - the executive assistants for the product orgs at companies I've worked at are very well taken care of and appreciated.
Project management.
Recruiting.
HR.
Marketing (either creative or strategic).

Some of these are more likely to give you the flexibility you're ultimately looking for, but they're all solid options for building a career that can be tied into the technology sector and the great benefits and opportunities connected to it, without needing to be a coder or technical rockstar equivalent.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A lot of small medium tech organizations appreciate someone who can do a few things across a product or team. You might need to pick up some basic tech skills (SQL excel skills basic CS vocabulary) but the minimum skill can be quite low if you can sell yourself well enough in an interview.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely adverse to learning any programming or new things. Not interested in Marketing or HR (honestly, I have experience in a couple of other industries that would make hopping into either field under marketing/hr much easier than trying to do it in an IT-related industry). Marketing is too stressful and competitive, as I have sales and a little bit of marketing experience and wasn't a fan. HR is just meh, I'd do it if the opportunity arose but I really want a technical high-demand trade under my belt so that no matter which way the economy swings, my job prospects are safe.

Sounds like IT security is barking up the wrong tree. Are there any IT jobs that are more technically-inclined but still have a low experience requirement? What certifications should I look into getting in order to hop into a job?

Thanks for answering all of my questions by the way. :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In the mid/long term there are very few technical high demand trades that are truly safe.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah, I mean this whole country isn't exactly in 100% secure mode right now.

Today I went to an IT job fair at a local college and shmoozed with a few of the people behind booths, explaining my overall situation and if there were any ideas or entry level positions available for non-students. One person offered to take my resume and consider me for "spider programming", which he said didn't really involve much coding at all. It sounds like a great way to get my feet wet and to see if this is really where I want to go.

I also overheard the term "IT Boot Camp" thrown around a bit. Is that a scam or worth it, and if so are they a good way to augment a resume that otherwise has absolutely nothing to do with IT?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There are a handful of bootcamps that are arguably worth it, but probably a whole lot more that are wastes of time and money. And likely very location dependent as well with connections and opportunities.

But my company has now hired six grads of one of the OG bootcamps in Seattle over the past couple years and they've all been great. Four of six are still with us, and the two that left went to high profile companies. Our hit rate for good candidates, albeit junior, has been way better than the usual recruiting sources. With some good dev lead support and mentoring we've been able to get them up to speed and valuable fairly quickly.

I have a few friends who have gone through the same bootcamp and have grown into quite successful development careers. They legit worked their rear end off and hustled hard, but still.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 5, 2017

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Every mention of bootcamps requires a post about Haseeb Qureshi:
http://haseebq.com/farewell-app-academy-hello-airbnb-part-i/
http://haseebq.com/farewell-app-academy-hello-airbnb-part-ii/

tl;dr: choose wisely, work your rear end off, network.

Also having all the soft skills of a professional poker player is good.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I guess this is as good a place to post this as any.

I've been kinda unhappy at work lately. They laid people off recently, morale is low and we're all overworked. I got my annual raise, which is a measly 2.5% cost-of-living raise. That being said, the work itself is enjoyable and I like the people I work with. I threw my resume out to a few companies to see if anything stuck, and our one direct competitor brought me in for an interview and really want to hire me. These are engineering positions in northern Indiana.

Pros of taking new position:
I'd make 13% more per year (77k to 87k)
They're better organized and are ISO (which we're not at my current company) and so have things like standards and procedures.

Cons of taking new position:
It's further away (50 miles one way vs 25, about 50 minutes to get to work vs 30 now. Additional mileage is all highway. Specific locations are Bristol, IN for current job, Sturgis, MI for possible new job)
Lose any 'seniority' I might have - I'm a shoe-in for a management position if I want one here, but I don't know if I'd want one here - there isn't much organization.

Still... it's a decent chunk of money. I'm legitimately torn right now. I don't want to leave but I don't know if I want to stay.

I could keep looking for something closer - time is on my side, since I'm employed currently.

Thoughts?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Sounds like you're already on your way out due to disorganization, the tiny COL (if that even) raise is just icing on the cake.

I would start interviewing in the mornings and tell your current company that you're running morning errands. Start ramping up to full interview mode and see what's out there.

I went through this a few months ago and waited longer at my current company than I should have. Once you have that first bug to leave you should listen to it and get ready to move, in my experience it only grows with time.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Is moving an option? If so, would the new company possibly reimburse you for some of the moving costs?

10k is a lot of money when you're making under six figures, but a 50 minute commute each way is pretty soul-crushing. Just wait until the weather's bad.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

Is moving an option? If so, would the new company possibly reimburse you for some of the moving costs?

10k is a lot of money when you're making under six figures, but a 50 minute commute each way is pretty soul-crushing. Just wait until the weather's bad.

I love my house, the area I love in, and the school system my kids are in, so moving really isn't an option.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Sounds like you're already on your way out due to disorganization, the tiny COL (if that even) raise is just icing on the cake.

I would start interviewing in the mornings and tell your current company that you're running morning errands. Start ramping up to full interview mode and see what's out there.

I went through this a few months ago and waited longer at my current company than I should have. Once you have that first bug to leave you should listen to it and get ready to move, in my experience it only grows with time.

I sent my resume out to a number of companies, so something else might stick. The one that I interviewed with already is our direct competitor and I knew they'd call and extend an offer - now that they have, I'm freakout out over it because I don't know if that's what I want.

I hate change and I don't want to switch jobs, and I feel pretty secure here, but it's been getting worse and worse since I started. Nobody is set up to succeed and it's pretty miserable being given a 400 hour project that's going to be late in a month.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 10, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CornHolio posted:

I love my house, the area I love in, and the school system my kids are in, so moving really isn't an option.

Then I'd personally advise against a 50 minute commute which will easily turn into an hour and a half when the weather is really bad(and I'm assuming you get lake effect snow). With a 30 minute drive each day to work, you already don't have a lot of free time, and you'd be losing at least another 40 minutes of that each day.

But I'm pretty hardcore against having to take any long driving commutes so YMMV

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

I feel pretty secure here, but it's been getting worse and worse since I started. Nobody is set up to succeed and it's pretty miserable being given a 400 hour project that's going to be late in a month.

I'm going the other way and saying get out, this sounds pretty bad :)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just got the formal letter and their benefits information.

I pay $293.08 over two weeks for my health insurance right now, but thats for $900 individual deductible / $1800 family deductible, in network.

The new company is $1200/$3600 but only would cost me $234.07 every two weeks.

I would get two weeks vacation this year, three starting next year. Here I'd have to wait four more years to get that third week.

Man... This is a hard decision...

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CornHolio posted:

I hate change and I don't want to switch jobs, and I feel pretty secure here, but it's been getting worse and worse since I started. Nobody is set up to succeed and it's pretty miserable being given a 400 hour project that's going to be late in a month.

This is your problem. You feel like you are in a safe spot but you need to realize that you could be the next one out the door.

The way you talk about your current job sounds absolutely miserable. I've been there, also felt pretty cushy while having a horrible job. Moving to greener pastries was the best thing that happened to me career wise.

The commute is longer, maybe you can negotiate a work from home day a week to compensate?

I think you already made your decision to leave, you just need to realize that your current job is a hellhole (for you) and it's unlikely to improve anytime soon. The offer you have is a lot better, why not go for it?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
^ Yep

This company knows you kick rear end enough to give you an offer already. Go for broke and negotiate for more money / vacation / 2 WFH days a week.

:getin:

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts/advice, positive or negative, on my situation.

I'm currently an editor at a trade publication (tech-ish; boring office machinery mostly) and last year, I had an opportunity to take a coding bootcamp course at no cost to me and I will be graduating from it this weekend. The class was a great experience, I feel like I can do things I never thought were possible for me. I question how ready I am for an entry level job, and I plan on continuing to build my skillset up. When the class is done, I'm building a website for a friends new recording studio. That should be a decent resume item.

I think I'm going through a period of major self-doubt right now, but I am trying to remind myself I've made strides. I have a much more professional presence now (including a logo!), I'm going out and networking, and I'm chasing any and all opportunities that even sort of interest me. I think being 27 and no where near where I'd like to be in life plays a huge role, but I know this insecurity is useless.

I honestly have no idea what I want to do now. Development is cool, but I really enjoy writing and would love to merge the two. Maybe technical writing? Working on documentation? Anyone have any advice on breaking into this? I already know I should be contributing to open source, and I look forward to having time once final class projects are through. Anyone have any similar life experiences?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I don't know about tech writing but I know about the software Dev industry.

Long term: communication skills can take you far in tech post hands on keyboard. Many places also appreciate it in direct coding jobs as prof software development is very much a team activity.

You still need the chops to enter the field and later having something worth writing or talking about.

I think your challenge now is being able to secure that first dev job, assuming you take that path. Interviewing really is a crap shoot and pretty much a separate skill in some areas.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Looking for outside perspective.

I'm a graduate-educated scientist making a hard exit from academia, and recently took a job doing science writing and editing. It seems like a pretty easy, albeit dull job that pays well enough, and has the benefit of working from home. I have opportunity for advancement and feel comfortable in the environment, but I'm worried about feeling stimulated and engaged in the process, and beyond the flexibility of the position, I'm honestly not super jazzed about much in the job. I started very recently, but I'm at-will and can leave at any time.

I just got an offer for a nonprofit that, while outside my field, offers the potential to wear a number of hats (some science-related and some not) as well as an immediate title that includes the word "Director." This job has comparable pay and is also work from home, so these factors are essentially unimportant. This job has the potential to be very interesting and stimulating, but I am concerned about my sense of community and teamwork. Even though my current position is work from home, there is a team environment and I have the option of going to an office with others. This nonprofit gig would be entirely remote, and I would only have a home office. In addition, I'm not entirely sure how well the staff and I would get along in the new position. All our conversations have been fine and cordial, but I hardly see us being anything more than colleagues, and I'm coming from a life where I've always been actual friends with my coworkers.

It boils down to - The new job is likely harder, but comes with the commensurate title and such. I'm leaving academia specifically because I'm against the culture of "do what it takes to get the job done," and I feel this new position will focus more on that than my current position. I like the idea of working for a nonprofit, and I have the added benefit of believing in their mission, but I'm afraid of the social and team aspects of the job. Additionally, while I know that this should not factor into the decision, I'm skittish of having the conversation that I'm leaving my current gig before I've really even gotten started.

I actually turned down the new gig already, but got a phone call today asking me to reconsider, and by god, I'm reconsidering. My gut says the devil I know is better than the one I don't, but when I really sit down and think about pros and cons, I'm not sure that I will have long-term fulfillment in my current role, and this new gig has the potential to really be interesting and engaging.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Does the non-profit have a public facing component? Are you going to be partnering with external stakeholders like other organizations or private individuals? Will you be developing a volunteer program for your organization? If yes to those things then I think you'll be seeing people and making new connections with them. If not, I don't know. You're being a little vague about the nature of the work, but the non-profits and public sectors I have interacted with have dealt with outside parties a lot and my role was meeting and working with them. As the director for an organization, I would assume you would be interacting with people with some regularity but idk the specifics of your situation. I think I can understand your anxiety about developing relationships but you'll have other opportunities to meet people.

If I were you, I would take the new gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Recently went back to school and got a BA in Economics. Since then I have been working for a bank as a low level paper pusher for over a year now, I have 4 years previous banking experience. I supervise a small group of people who do loan maintenance work. I don't use any software that would help me out at any other company (well I guess Outlook and Word). I have pretty good to advanced people skills.
The bank I work for is slowly going down.

I applied for a transfer to a difference department, but they wanted someone who already has the experience.

I live close to San Francisco and always dreamed of being a financial analyst (the reason for the BA), but am I too late to start? I would be ok making $50k-70k to start if that meant I could write Financial Analyst on my resume and learn the skills.

What can I do to improve my chances to get my dream job? I used R in my economics classes, take a python class, I guess?
Should I just settle and use my experience to become an underwriter?

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 13, 2017