Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Guinness posted:

At this point, when I review resumes and interview people I'm more skeptical of people that have been at the same place for 10+ years than I am people that have moved around a bit. In general the world just doesn't work that way anymore and it shows a lack of drive and self-worth. It's obviously not black and white and it's case by case, but there's a trend.

Yeah if you've got nothing but ten years of 1 year stints, that's not a good look either. As always the answer lies somewhere in the middle. After 7.5 years in one place no one is going to give you any guff about leaving.

I think it depends. A 10 year engineer with the same company doesn't make me pause. Should they put every promotion they got while doing the exact same job? They also could suck, but still want to talk to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Guinness posted:

Yes, listing your promotion history is both honest and shows career/skills development and makes spending a long time in one place make more sense.

But if one has been doing the exact same job they don’t really sound like promotions...

Even if it’s “just” going from engineer to senior engineer, theoretically that promotion should come with (or be a recognition of) more responsibilities and leadership roles, technical or otherwise.

It is usually pretty obvious from the CV or cover letter or what they have in there resume even if they don't break it down. It is probably a industry thing honestly. People are welcome to break it down though but honestly I look at your resume for probably 30 seconds

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would be curious what you find out. In my experience you are either a good manager or not and the training will not help. Sounds like you are a good manager. I would say at least 95% of the managers I have worked with have had zero training. So you probably have more already than most.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Meanwhile in Denver my GF pays her hygienist $40/hr (first job out of school...).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

poo poo I was pretty happy to make $14/hr after grad school.

Yikes. I hope that was 30 years ago.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nope, ~8. I chose...poorly. Should’ve spun the wheel again, I guess.

Yeah, bummer. Hopefully things are better now though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not sure what thread might be the best place to ask this but here goes: I start my new job on Friday and I'm trying to fill out a lease application for a room so I'm closer to work. They're asking for proof of employment. Even though I haven't started yet would it be appropriate for me to ask my employer of they could provide me with some proof of employment so I can speed up the rental process?

You offer letter usually works. I never had a problem using it for this when changing jobs and moving cities.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You could mention your desire to move back in a cover letter. Not sure if that would be a plus or not but possibly?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lockback posted:

Oh poo poo, I totally misread that, I thought you said you moved back to the EU. Yeah, so that does change things a bit. You can mention you are planning on moving back, but without a hard date most companies are not going to trust that too much.

Do you have a relation's house near a city you can use? Saying that you are moving back there on such and such date might make things easier, then you can figure out living arrangements later.

The lack of definite date was where I was unsure of how valuable mentioning if would be. I think I would still bring it up. Hard to say though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you want to do concrete and soils testing there are tons and tons of places that do it from small firms to the big boys like Terracon and Kleinfelder. The have labs and people who go take the samples or do inspections. Is that what you are looking for?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You might ask in the engineering thread if anyone in central Texas knows of the smaller firms. Not sure if central Texas is DFW or Austin or where exactly. These might be good to apply to:

https://jobs2.smartsearchonline.com/kleinfelder/jobs/jobdetails.asp?jo_num=52595&apply=yes&cityZip=Texas&

https://jobs2.smartsearchonline.com/kleinfelder/jobs/jobdetails.asp?jo_num=52651&apply=yes&cityZip=Texas&

Do you have any of your testing certs? If not I would look into getting ACI Concrete testing grade 1 at a minimum.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Isn't a bachelor's in Psych basically worthless outside of menial office jobs that require a bachelor degree to get the job (basically the job you have)? Seems like you might right where you expect to be based on what you have done for a degree and with it since then. If you had an engineering degree my response would be way different.

That said if you think you are worth more money go find a better paying office job or a psych job. Nothing stopping you from using the experience you have to jump around and make more money. You really should be able to make more money now that you have some experience.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Aha this mf thinks there’s less chasing people around for updates and fiddling with decks in consulting ayyy lmao

All I know is McKinsey, Deloitte, and Accenture are realllllllly into fiddling with Powerpoint slide decks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is all strat and mgt firms

For sure. Those are the ones I have worked with though since we have money to burn I guess.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cingulate posted:

I thought in tech people get suspicious if you stay with One company for too long.

I don’t know. I have a PhD in bullshit studies and a slightly milder form of Aspergers than my underlings, how does that qualify me for anything?
Maybe I’m just concerned cause it seems too good to be true.

You started a job, you got pushed into (what sounds like) pseudo management, next stop actual management. This is how it happens all the time.

Talk to you current boss about how you are enjoying the roll, looking to expand your leadership skills, etc. You are on the path if there ever was one.

E: you don't have to jump jobs. It is just the best way to increase your income. There is nothing wrong with sticking at one place. When you decide to more on you will be able to easy explain why you loved working there and are ready for a new leadership challenge.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Where would you recommend?

There is a guy on SA who always seemed to crush it. Not sure his username or if he is still active though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I had a former boss spruce mine up (mostly just formatting) and it helped significantly. 1 for 12 isn’t actually too bad, depending, I’ve definitely had runs where I submitted dozens and got basically nothing.

A guy who works for me has tracked every job he has applied for since starting here 10 years ago. Last I saw he was 120 apps, 5 interviews, 0 offers. granted he was trying to push his boundaries and pushing for leadership. Then he had twins and I am not sure he has applied to a job since...ha

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lockback posted:

I've been a manager for almost 13 years. The answer is no.

If you're still torn even with the money thing, I think there's a lot to cut up though. If you're coming in at the top of the pay range that presents other problems, it's super rare for someone to get promoted to a new pay grade within a year or even 2 of getting hired, unless they are absolute entry level.

I agree with all this.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ultrafilter posted:

The problem is that at a lot of companies, there is no IC track beyond a certain point, and that point is often pretty early in your career. So your options are to job hunt--possibly requiring a move--or to go into management or to stagnate.

That is our company. I am 34 and on management track. Could move up to director and VP if I wanted to go for. One of my engineers is 34 and he is tapped out (we technically have one more engineering level but lol. it is so fake, not one under 60 has it).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fatman1683 posted:

For someone who's trying to make the jump into management, are career coaching firms worth it? I've been in IT engineering for about 13 years and I just started my MBA, so in about two years I'll be looking for some kind of management position, ideally on a career path that ends in CIO/CTO.

I don't really know how to market myself for that kind of job, or what other skills I should try and develop between now and then. Would it be worthwhile to engage some sort of outside assistance?

I would have been applying to management roles 2-3 years ago and went down the MBA route (if needed) once you were in the roll. So I guess I would start applying now. What opportunities for leadership assignments do you have at your current place? volunteer for those.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Xguard86 posted:

I've been part of not 1 but 2 leadership programs that sort of flamed out due to externalities. Idk if they're just kind of that way or I had bad luck. So not surprised it's defunct and I'd very much deprioririze that angle.

Same here. If the programing is rolling then do it. But not sure how much it will really help.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I know this but at the same time the thought of betraying them is really hard to get over. Even thinking about it is making me lose sleep.

I made this move about 3 years in. It resulted in a better city to live in, more pay, better career track, and has been great all around. Start getting the resume out there. Worst case you practice interviewing and polis the resume. Best case you move to a better job for way more money. You are 1000% replaceable, just get to it man.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HCFJ posted:

What is a good career path if my goal is to work the least hours possible?

Define least and define how much money you want to make. What are your skills now?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ideally you would have had a job lined up last fall to start in January. That ship has sailed though. Get employed as fast as you can. If you find a better job, change jobs.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nirvikalpa posted:

I got invited to the final round of interviews for a policy analyst position for a small city government. I'm not going to count on getting this job but is this a sign that I should keep looking for a regular job?

I would be applying to jobs every day until you have one at a minimum.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A policy job with a government sounds 100% like a normal job and much better than vista. Maybe pays well, has benefits, etc. VISTA is going to literally take anyone who can help.You laid out your apprehension with VISTA a few posts ago. Has that changed? It will look fine on your resume I am sure. Government job seems real good though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you are interested in the trades you usually can learn on the job. If you become a lineman you can make some serious bank, especially if you are willing to travel and work longer days. most trades take a bit of time to get up to that level of pay but they are a good option.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Maybe look into consulting at companies like HDR, Black and Veatch, Burns and McDowell, Terracon, Klienfelder, TetraTech, and others like them. Maybe look into soil boring companies. These jobs are probably not as flexible as you are asking for but might be worth looking at. The enviro services companies like AECOM and Tetratech tend to have field positions doing animal and plant surveys.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If every manager had to have managed before there would be no managers...

OP I would push to get into the new role ASAP as you want it. get out of the doing two jobs situation.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

For sure. I made the transition 6 years ago. My boss was clear on cutting off the old job as quick as possible, it was really helpful when I think about it.

Management isn't for everyone though, typically hard to know until you try though. OP does seem a bit apprehensive but maybe it is because of what the old roles would have been.

Also OP try not to have more than 6 direct reports.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I made this decision 6 years ago. Go technical IC or move into management. I went with management and mostly don't regret it. I am still involved in technical stuff but do zero design or reviews. More high level planning and decision making these days. It was a tough decision at the time but ultimately the right one for me.

Pay wise i think it will depend a lot on the company. A guy who works for me with the same experience but IC role (my best engineer) makes about $20k less than me and i have a 3% higher bonus Target. When he gets to the highest level (one more to go) we will have similar pay with me most likely making $5-10k more plus the bonus difference.

It is definitely a different role, expect to complete the rare engineering task. You also have to deal with personnel and the issues that brings.

I can't say what you should do but if you stay IC you will probably be in that role long term unless you change companies.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Not a direct answer but if you don't have enough work ask your boss for more work. Maybe you did already.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm approaching 35, needing a career change as posted previously, and this is something I worry about constantly. In the past, creative fields seemed safest, but ChatGPT and a zillion different art bots have proved that wrong. Are there any other fields/roles that support remote work and have a more inherent resilience to AI takeover?

Engineering feels pretty safe for now and generally seems to support remote work. That is a big undertaking as a career change though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am a civil engineer (so obviously that is the best). Electrical seems like it has good remote capabilities. I do think a new engineer benefits from in person time the first couple years but i know lots of people who never have been to an office. Engineering is a hard field of study (typically) so you will want to really be committed to it if you decide on that path.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Glad you are out. Go loving veg out all weekend doing whatever brings you joy and happiness.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

But I don't think that the OP should have the conversation at all, because I don't think they're really in a space where they can do it without getting in to sour grapes poo poo that will have a negative impact on their career.

Completely agree.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Corporations always want to hire ex military so you could do what you like and see what happens. I am fairly sure a better gig will be there with your credentials.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ultrafilter posted:

IMO, if you have a boss who supports your career growth, they're worth following.

This can't be overstated. It doesn't always work out as your boss can only do so much but knowing they will go to bat for you and knowing they already have in the OP's case is good stuff.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

How much longer can you live unemployed? Seems like you should take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpeedFreek posted:

How do I ask this without giving out too much information? I work in power generation and transmission with experience in distribution, its a very small industry in terms of at or just above my level everyone knows each other. I'm pretty sure I've worked with or know some of the other goons in this field without knowing for sure.

I'm looking at every option to get out of my current job where I've been underemployed for a while now but keeps me in the field. Without getting too specific think of my current job as a combo of relay and test, controls engineer, power tester, electrician, and so on. How do I move up to SME, professional test witness, or site manager type work.

I'm tired of fixing the half assed work of these engineering firms for a a third what their site guys get paid for more hours than they work. These companies start with Bur.. McD..... , Dash..... , Qualit... , Sar.... & Lund... and they all suck to some degree or another because they gently caress up simple poo poo constantly. How can I be proactive, but profitably for me?

Do you work at the Utility and are dealing with consultant terribleness? I am not quite sure but sounds like yes. I guess I see two paths. Push to move up in your current org or go work for the B&Vs of the world. You will know your current org best and how possible that is. All the big power consultants are looking for bodies right now so that seems like an easy move if you want the money. The industry is generally booming on capital build out although I have heard of a few utilities makeing some cuts.

I am 15 years in on the Transmission Line side and currently work at a large utility. Happy to DM if you want to.