Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
My Supervisor is leaving in ten days and they're looking for someone to fill in the position. I've been working for them for two years (if you count my contractor days). Should I try to apply? I don't exactly know how well I'd do but I'm figuring hell, why not, I've seen other supervisors be incompetent and worse case scenario there's always failing upwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

if you think you want to, yes.

I kinda don't, but I think I should want to want to.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Is it worth going to college at 34?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

It's worth it for some people. What's your situation, what do you want to do, and how would a degree help you get there?

I would like to earn more money than I do now before I retire when I'm 60, and I'm wondering if an average business degree will earn me significantly more money before retirement or not, or if I'm going to end up in roughly the same place but now with $40,000 less dollars.

Right now I'm a computer toucher for United Health Group and I wound up on a pretty easy team, but the pay stinks and I think being degreeless is going to remain a ceiling above me, but also there's people on my team who have a degree and their pay stinks too so lol.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 2, 2021

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

25-30 years is still a while. Even modest returns pay off with compounding and that timeline.

That's if you're also going to put effort into making the degree worthwhile by pursuing opportunity. If you graduate and just keep chilling where you're at for 15 years...

I mean yeah I guess that's why I'd like a degree, I want more mobility and to be able to successfully pursue more jobs. And if I leave this one, to be able to not worry about being degreeless getting the way of maintaining my position on the career totem pole or whatever (that whatever being not ending up in a call center.) But you know, if at the end of the day I'm not really making much of a financial difference when I retire then what's the loving point? My SO has a four year accounting degree and makes .39 more cents than I do (same place.) :\

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 2, 2021