Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

What's your actual job function? Do you enjoy it? Are you good at it? Is there something else you'd rather be doing?

Hey really helpful template snipe! Here goes:

Job function:
i work for a gov dept in sponsorship, so im a critical friend to gov-funded public organizations. i lead a team that organises forums for the orgs and forwards testy commissions from the center of gov about how many people they employ and how much they spend.

Do you enjoy it?
No - it's boring and fiddly. There is a lot of chasing people for updates, proofreading my direct reports' notes of meetings and screwing around with powerpoint slidepacks.

Are you good at it?
it's an easy job and well paid for the public sector but despite (or because of??) that i feel disengaged. i do the bare minimum as ive done in all my jobs to date

Is there something else youd rather be doing?
In the area I'm working in now, I'd prefer to be a consultant and go around telling other governmental depts or orgs what assurance procedures they should have in place and then leave it up to them to implement. is that a thing? I dont have a law degree but it's some well known orgs ive worked with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
ha youre right. i meant consultant not as in Bain Consulting but in the sense of a outside-gov contractor who swans in and out and doesnt have direct reports.

i used to make a point of chatting to facilitators when they came in to deliver nothing-special learning and development, to learn their setups. they were all sole traders, one man bands who declared minimum wage income. i dont know if flesh and blood facilitators are going to be around for a while though.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
yes sorry i definitely didnt mean i wanted to work as that sort of consultant. i just meant external hire.

is there a sabbatical thread in BFC? that's my first move, a bit of travelling. it would be interesting to see how many people go back to their old jobs and how many do something new

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
interesting insight, thanks. luckily a new job at the same wage would be open on my return so nothing to lose but some pension contributions. id also expect some of those now in less well paid jobs to maybe feel it was worth it? depends how grasping the family is i suppose

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
im sure you're doing this already but you should def be putting the cv out there with the stuff on it about being able to hit aggressive ops targets, manage the team, turn around one of our local problem employees and build a good working relationship with the local team. the civil service will be more than happy to employ you

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
i already mentioned the civil service!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
hello it's me, the career breaker. is pluralsight any good for keeping my eye in with training and stuff? or should i do something with coursera or whatnot. im going to be exporting fmcg to my home country so dont necessarily need a qualification but some theory would be good around product design and packaging etc.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
someone mentioned remote working so ill share this link which compares the cost of being a digital nomad in various countries https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/best-countries-for-remote-working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
probably, im in colombia myself

ive another link too for that PM guy who likes helping others etc. https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/skills-assessment is a questionnaire that suggests a few roles at the end