Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Get a better idea of what beacoup bucks means. If it means 10k+, do you think you could get that type of raise elsewhere or by changing jobs?

Also depends what your experience / age / career prospects are. I know nothing about paralegal stuff.

I'd go for it if your boss thinks you can do it and the company is willing to give you a substantial raise. See if you could get a new title out of it too. Senior paralegal or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah your skill set and GPA scream consulting. Stuff like an Agile cert would help there but it's not needed.

E: I dunno about the US but I know Deloitte Canada has a winter cycle and is attempting to move away from the fall / winter hiring cycles anyway. It can be about just getting your resume to the right people

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd take a real serious look at the HVAC career to make sure it's all that you think it will be.

That said I left a job that was fine but has no long term future (retail commission sales) and went like 30k in debt to get a degree at age 28 and 4 years later am way better off for it in terms of career opportunity.

Basically... Make sure that you're going to get value for time / money if you decide HVAC is the right choice for you.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is career specific training an option for some of that downtime? I find aiming for certifications to be a fairly focused use of such time.

Are you in a position to do any business development? That would be another option that is fairly task focused.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
At the end of the day if it doesn't work out at this place you can always go back to being a consultant.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xguard86 posted:

+1.

On the topic of project managers:

I've noticed "project manager" gets used as a general job title on general business reports (job aptitude, employment #s etc.) but it seems like the title is so broad, its practically meaningless.

There are project managers in many different fields. For example, construction and technology. Is there really enough similarity to change industries, or even report on as one bucket?

Obviously there are going to be industry specific skills. Directing IT projects isn't the same as directing construction projects. But it's a lot closer than the difference between programming and plumbing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What amount of money do you need to make to take B.

Tell them you have another offer, and that while you really want to take the job because it is a great fit, salary is a factor in your decision. Wait for them to make an offer. No matter what that is, ask for more. How much more depends if they’re above or below the amount you need. If they respond and are still too low, take job a and keep looking for your dream job.

Maybe go to the negotiation thread too.

No such thing as a job for life, especially one that isn’t interesting to you, stop thinking about A that way.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t think that’s actually true. Lots of people want consistent work that they can plan their life around. Rather too dull than too busy.

I wanted the peaks and valleys and ended up doing sales and then going into management consulting. You do need to figure out what your actual skills are though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Having citizenship seems like a big one.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It says I should look into being a CEO or chief executive. I’ll get right on that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You don’t need a reason to look for a new opportunity. Don’t bring up what’s happened at your current org, it just hurts your negotiating position. You like where you are but are looking for more challenging work or to grow a specific skill set that you aren’t able to grow where you are right now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did you screw yourself irrevocably by doing what you did?

No.

Should you look for a better job?

Yes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wolfy posted:

Kind of related to this discussion, how soon is too soon to leave your first professional job? I’ve been here 10 months. The company is a train wreck and I’m looking to get out ASAP.

I got my company to poach someone who was at a competitor for like 4 months because I knew she was good. She had done some co-op with them previously, but this was her first full time professional job. On the way out one of the directors tried to play the "you'll ruin your reputation by doing this" line on her. Luckily she knows that the only thing the next employer will see is that she was worth giving an immediate promotion, salary and commensurate responsibilities.

Too soon is entirely situational and just depends on why you're leaving and what you're leaving to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Management consulting

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I graduated last June and I've been job hunting for a full year now. I'm trapped in part time retail hell and I want out. Trouble is I am having a hell of a time finding entry level positions for anything right now, Ottawa's Indeed page is a loving ghost town for new hires. I have a degree in English and a writing concentration, but at this point I don't even know what kinds of jobs I should be searching for. I've done the usual Google search of "what kind of jobs can my degree get me?" but there is nothing out there for entry level proofreading or editing or even loving data entry. Anything that is out there is always prefaced with "must have x many years of experience" or its some patronizing retail outlet posting a bottom of the barrel retail position because "gently caress English majors what are they good for anyways?" bullshit.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how I can broaden my search or reframe myself as someone worth considering?

Speaking as someone who lives in Ottawa - this is a government town.

You need to be all the gently caress over government jobs. Apply to casual postings for GC. You have a degree, all you need is an in. You’ll get that via applications and possibly looking at temp degrees.

You have a degree, you can use email and write properly, you’re already overqualified for most CR positions and AS1 positions.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s a challenge getting in, but you just need to keep sending in resumes and stretching experience to fit the minimum quals.

Also recommend talking to temp agencies. A temp contract is a good way to transition into a casual and then indeterminate position.

Seriously, if you have a degree in English you’re at least qualified for a CR position.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well I've been put into the inventory for a couple government jobs in Ottawa. So now I'll just have to wait a few months years to see if they slot me into an opening.

Good luck!

The trick with GC is just to keep at it. Eventually you’ll get in, and once you’re there’s a lot of options available.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Option 1 is bad, option 2 is potentially (likely) fine. The conversation you want to have is with a lawyer though, not your company’s hr department.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

Just lol if your resume isn't just this with your name scrawled on top in crayon.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, this is nightmare fuel

tag yourself, I'm delegation poker

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah that’s the problem, I don’t want them to take too close a look at my pay. I’m currently making more than two of our four managers in other departments and I think keeping my mouth shut is probably best. This company is terribly run and no one seems to know what everyone else is doing so it might be best to let my salary slip through the cracks and just take on the new position with no real change.

Just make sure you keep getting paid your commission.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That situation sounds awful and you should probably turn it down and keep looking, unless this is like your dream job or something.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don’t trust your boss.

But also - this is your chance with this company and you probably won’t get another one. You need to poo poo or get off the pot. There isn’t a choice here between taking the deal or staying in your current role. There is a choice between taking a deal (ideally better but good luck) or finding a new job with another organization.

Or doing first one and then the other, which may actually be the best plan, because moving to a bigger city with a new title and responsibilities should open up better opportunities. So don’t trust your boss, and make a plan for where you’ll be a year from now that doesn’t include working for this company even if you take this job.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And being paid a lower salary is worth hundreds of thousands by the time you retire also.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of some non-administrative assistant jobs for a BA in English? I've pretty much exhausted my searches for those jobs in Ottawa, and proofreading positions are nonexistent. I just want a job where I can go through someone else's drafts and pick out formatting and grammar errors so that they look nice before they go to print, but I can't find any of those jobs which makes me wonder if they even exist. It feels more like companies just decided to say "if you have a degree in anything you're already qualified to do your own grammar checking, sorry English Majors but your field has been cut in half by cross-trained degrees."

Technical writing / comms?

And I dunno if you mean admin assistant in the sense of an AS government position, but the AS category means basically anything, so don’t stress too much on the categorization.

There’s a CRA job fair next Friday if you’re interested.

https://careers-carrieres.cra-arc.gc.ca/gol-ged/wcis/pub/rtrvjbpst.action?pi=3863BB41B6A41ED9AFA740C2BB41EBD2

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

Its going to be a rough couple quarters, yeah.

Gonna be really good after those quarters though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know consultants who work for the big 4 who only have degrees like that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This type of aggregate data is completely meaningless to your personal situation.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Democratic Pirate posted:

Relevant text I received this morning from a relative who is in their first month at a big consulting firm:

“Big 4 needs to quit loving around and just put “you’re gonna be a senior consultant’s little powerpoint bitch” into the analyst job description”

:lmao:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I knew a guy who took a year off at a big 4 firm to travel Asia and he came back and got promoted the next year. He was burning oil for like 3 years on a major project right before that though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Odd Mutant posted:

My Supervisor is leaving in ten days and they're looking for someone to fill in the position. I've been working for them for two years (if you count my contractor days). Should I try to apply? I don't exactly know how well I'd do but I'm figuring hell, why not, I've seen other supervisors be incompetent and worse case scenario there's always failing upwards.

if you think you want to, yes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why out of supply chain? Leverage your experience and add the tech side to it, consulting loves ex military.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Supply chain isn’t going anywhere. If anything in order to improve your margins in a world with lower globalization / more expensive manufacturing you need to be even leaner.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lots of people work 40 hours a week in jobs they don't like or that aren't "fulfilling", and shift their attention to other parts of their lives. Personally I don't get it, but I've worked with enough people who view jobs as just jobs that I think it's a pretty valid approach. Public sector can be good for this.

Also - as someone who goes through what I think you're talking about - sometimes just moving to a new place can give you a boost for a year or two. Maybe it's not going to be your forever spot, but even just doing the same thing with different wallpaper can help a lot.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Charging student rates makes your worth that of a student. Nobody, even not for profits, pays 35 bucks an hour for executive coaching.

Either give it away for free as a way to get in the door and feel good and then charge real rates, or just charge real rates.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thebardyspoon posted:

I suppose the question that makes this wall of text fit in this thread is, is this a common feeling when you move up to a new role with responsibilities that are really outside of the wheelhouse of the previous role?

I can’t speak to the career specific question, but I can to this. Yes, it is common to feel out of your depth. It can be really frustrating to work in this kind of environment, so I get where you’re coming from.

Based on what you’re describing, the people you work for think you’re doing fine, which means you probably don’t need to worry about suddenly getting canned. One thing that might be helpful is breaking down your work into “known elements” and “new elements”. It’s very unlikely that it’s all new, and every learning experience will involve new elements. It sounds like this one is just a bit more heavily weighted towards new stuff. Even so if this is the same space you’ve been working in previously, it’s probably more like 75/25 known/new. Focus on the new stuff and really learning how to do it, and that will ratio will get better.

And remember everyone who takes on progressive responsibility is flying by the seat of their pants. We’re all faking it to some extent.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also good, though this may depend on your locale etc, is just doing whatever IC work (IT stuff fits here) but in a slower paced industry. Specifically public sector.

I know many people who took the government job so that they could do 37.5 hours / week in a fairly low stakes environment and enjoy their evenings and other time off.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the good news is now is the best time to apply for consulting jobs as demand is very, very high.

the bad news is that any strat/management joint is going to bin your fresh-out-of-undergrad resume if your GPA starts with a number less than 3, so you should probably look elsewhere

I've been in conversations where we're seriously suggesting hiring people with no degree. Standards right now are extremely no bueno. Even so, yeah this seems dubious.

I do know a guy who had like a 2.6 from waterloo engineering who got in though, and that was in normal times. Showing up to recruiting events and really standing out, or creating personal connections through other means can bypass some of the standard hiring rules.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Go read the negotiation thread and then don’t say a number.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Generally speaking, project management seems like it would be a good fit and aligns with some of the stuff on your resume.

Agreed with this. Doing it remotely may be difficult but is certainly possible. You may need to invest in some relevant industry certifications.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Excrucian posted:

This is honestly a relief to hear, and I should probably poke my head into the PM thread too, in that case. The PM certification I was aware of, the PMP, takes years of employment as an actual project manager though. When you say relevant industry certifications, are you talking about certs that aren't related to project management itself, but are related to, say, a tech field or pharma or what-have-you?
The PMP definitely takes a few years, although you can speed it up with 40 hours of coursework, and I would say they take a very loose definition of PM work.

For traditional Pm, you can maybe find your way in via a CAPM. For other fields I’d look at Agile certifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I would just say that you were hit by layoffs in your first two jobs. Which is true. That’s some bad luck, not a personal failing.