Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey all question for you. One of my former coworkers talked me up to the owner of another company who called me and was very interested and excited about getting me on board. He said for me to send him my resume and some other info which I did about a week ago but haven’t heard anything back. I have a feeling because I’m on workmans comp he got scared off but do you think I should send a email to him asking if he received the resume? I’m just confused.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I’d figure I’d be like “Hey saw you had a great event this weekend the photos looked fun! Was just checking in to see if you received my email earlier I. The week? I know sometimes Google can eat up emails with large amounts of attachments”.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve been out on workmans comp for the past three months. I returned to work on Wednesday and immediately got written up for “destroying company property” (they had asked me to return my company laptop while I was away and I did, except I signed out of iCloud and made a new profile so they could log in...) and told I couldn’t return to my normal job or use company computers. Anyways, my lawyer says there’s nothing I can really do and that they’re allowed to do this but I can see the writing on the wall that they’re just waiting for me to hit MMI to fire me, so my question is, while I await this time coming do you guys know of any handy skills I can pick up on the side whether it be learning a program or something that would make my resume more attractive? I don’t have a college education so I’m expecting to have to work a shotty retail job until I luck into another position again but I’d like to try to improve myself in the interim. Thanks all.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don’t have a resume but I should make one and I’ll post it in here. I’ve worked at this company for 13 years and never once got written up. My immediate boss quit a month ago and I think they wanted to sweep me away also with her but because I’m on workmans comp it made things troubling. Capitalism sucks.

Anyways Python is a great idea and I’m a little familiar with it already. I work in marketing and web design so it can absolutely help out with that. Thanks for the idea and I’ll double down on learning it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Probe posted:

What state are you in (or the claim for that matter)? It far more likely they'll look to settle your claim when you hit MMI and I'm assuming your attorney has taken your case on contingency and is still looking to get paid and as such needs you to settle as well. Very rarely will a settlement for a WC claim not also include a release and resignation so you probably won't have to worry about getting fired since you'll be resigning soon. If they do fire you and you pre-injury employment was great or at least problem free you should explore the idea you've already partially articulated more fully - that your employer is retaliating against you. This could add some value to your claim.

This made me feel a lot better, thank you so much. I know it’s be stupid of me to quit because I would lose the potentiality of retaliation or a bigger settlement. I’m in NH right now. My employer has made me do 3 different jobs since returning which go against the doctors orders...just building a case I guess.

Sorry I haven’t gotten back to this thread yet about my skills and such just been super busy. I promise to get something together.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shrimpwhiskers posted:

Hello thread! I am trying very hard to move out of retail and into office work. The true end goal is to work in motion graphics, but I also need to not starve while I work on my demo reel, so yeah. I have skills in: prepress, print production, minor graphic design (layouts/logos), and general customer service (which I'd like to think I am actually good at).

Things I could learn that wouldn't be too far out of the way to the end goal: actual graphic design, Java (scripting language base for After Effects/other animation programs). Are either of these worth spending time on so I can make an actual living wage?

It’s extremely competitive now a days with the rise of youtube and you tubers for video editing unfortunately. Even more so graphic design where it’s really a position of having to know someone to get in and even then my graphic design knowledge is like a small subset of everything else I do. It’s hard.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was in marketing but got laid off last week :v

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No problem wish I could be more help. I’d say make use of your friend as that’s the way in the door is knowing people.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wtf the average 31 year old male makes 60k? I make like 30k

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Algorithms seem like a silly way to test people.

I'm not a programmer yet, well I freelance and teach myself. Hoping to get a real job eventually but don't think lol ever be able to pass a algorithm test

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish I had one to be honest. I've been self teaching for like two years now. Is there a good place to hire or get one?

Also yeah alot of tutorials and such seem to miss the final steps of putting all that logic together or really getting above the surface level. Take a look at my last two months of posts in cavern of cobol to watch me in real time learn a technology stack and sql because all the tutorials just stay on a very basic level

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Love Stole the Day posted:

That does sound like a good business opportunity, yeah. On paper, that sounds like what schools and boot camps should be for, doesn't it? I imagine they're all too expensive, though. Is Lambda School still a thing?

Apart from that, I guess that's where a community has to fill the gap with charity work.

I feel like I've seen a site for mentors before, kind of like italki for language learning. I think it'd be a good idea even just to have a coach to say "work on this, work on that".

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I always use that thread. I love CoC

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are most of the jobs for programming in cities? I live in rural new England and have never lived in a city.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sucks. That said I always wanted to live in Philly or move back to Tampa

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how rural, we talking like Jackman, ME, or like Lunenburg, MA? at least where I grew up in very rural Vermont, bandwidth is gonna be your biggest hurdle to securing a remote job. Have to be in a decent sized town to get good coverage.

I live on the border of northern VT and NH lol. I basically would have to move to Burlington or Boston/Manchester but there doesn't seem to be many jobs in NH for programing. I loved in Tampa for like a year and loved it, I worked for Disney in their Travel Operations division out there so it would be a option.

Currently i freelance web dev (nothing big though, mostly wordpress) so I do have freedom to work wherever but I see this train coming to a stop eventually as I hate having my own business

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When do you know that your portfolio is “ready” and how do you guys go about sharing things that you created / worked on that aren’t personal projects but professional projects? I have a pretty big project I’m working on now that I’m extremely proud of (so far…) and would like to show it off, but obviously I don’t want to let any tom dick or harry have access to another companies data and software.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello Goons, i'm not sure if this is the "right" thread or not but I have a question about invoiced and quotes. I am a freelancer but mostly work for one client as a contractor at $25/hr doing web dev.

They ask me to put together quotes for them that they then charge to their clients at the quoted rate, which is all fine and good. The thing is though, I never hit my quoted amount of money and feel like i'm leaving something on the table. For example, I hand coded (i guess) a web "app" for one of their clients at a quoted price of like $9k, but going by the amount of times i've remembered to keep time, i've only earned about $5k. I don't neccesarily feel right billing for the remaining $4k as i'd have to break it down hourly, but i'm not sure what the right thing to do is. I mean i'm quoting the folks who contract me at a price that they're getting irregardless from the client, so i'm wondering if I should just bill for that full amount or what.

Thanks for your help!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, they're charging above what i'm charging, but they're offering additional services (marketing copywriting, graphic design etc) so lets say I put a quote in for 8k they'll ask for 13k.

I don't have a contract, they just ask me for a quote and say "okay sounds good". I want to charge the remainder of the money but i'm afraid if they ask for a time sheet then I have to quickly make it all up lol.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I know I'm making very low amounts, to the point where I've had other clients pay me triple what I quoted them to be nice. My goal is still to get a real development job at some point but I don't think my skills are there yet and I live in a rural area. Freelance it is for.now

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's true lol. I guess something non freelance with benefits etc. Although it's nice making my own schedule and traveling whenever.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you for that. Yeah I guess I'm in this weird grey area with the way I work and this contractor. They originally"hired" me on at 25/hr bit then immediately asks for quotes. Like I said though I'm freelance so there's no contact in place. I dunno. I'll probably just charge the full amount for this project since I've probably gone over the hour count anyways by now.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I meant to say contract but I bet that still applies also lmao.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha yeah. I was in a desperate place and the person who hired me on is a client from my previous emoyer. I have already reached out to find a lawyer to look at my stuff though! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks that's a great post. I shouldn't have said I don't keep time tracking , I keep time tracking but I usually don't track everything, which is my bad. I don't usually charge for meetings either, even if it takes a while which I should do.

I didn't realize that about the stigma with solo devs. I worked with people in different professions the past 13 years including management but didn't factor the other thing. I would like to go to the corporate world though. I should start applying to a job like that.

I'm super underpaid which sucks especially like you said, for the custom apps in a real programming language. Granted most of my work is wordpress brochure sites but every once in a while I require something more in depth.

I'll see how the client feels about me billing full for this project. I need to track every minute of time also. Any reccomendationa on the best way to do this?

Thanks for the help goons.