Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Tell me how to get elected to the United States House of Representatives.

Link your best resources, my friends.
  • Go to your local Election Office and ask for a copy of the voting records for your district for the past 3 elections where the job that you want was on the ballot.
  • Compile a list of people who voted in every single one of those last 3 elections and group them by neighborhood.
  • Look up the results of the past 3 elections to see how many votes they needed to actually win.
  • Spend all day every day traveling around from neighborhood to neighborhood and knocking on everyone's doors based on that list you made in the earlier bullet point to ask them to sign a petition to get you on the ballot.
  • Assuming you got enough signatures, do another go-around to remind them to vote for you and to thank them for their signatures.
  • Make some sort of tangible paper thing that you can leave on everyone's doors or give to them in person that covers the main point(s) that you think will convince those "good voters" to vote for you.
  • Call or e-mail as many of those people as you can in the final week of the campaign to remind them why they should vote for you and ask them to remind their friends, family, or neighbors to vote for you as well.
  • Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Someone linked me to a big career advice post over on Reddit's Screenwriting community and I thought that this part was insightful:

(Apparently BLCKLST is a website where screenwriters and directors rate and critique one others' stuff on a scale of 1 to 10)

quote:

The bar isn't two 8s on the BLCKLST. That's barely worth noting. The bar is two 10s.

I'm speaking philosophically here, not literally. What I mean is that there is a difference between getting invited into the room and getting invited to the table. The key to making it in Hollywood is everyone taking your screenplay and sharing it because it was so amazing. Everyone wants to be the person that discovered you. Terry Rossio speaks about this on his Wordplayer site: Until you have that screenplay that people will fight to get made, not just nod their head and say, "That's good. That's professional level," you're really just another talented schlub.

SO many times on this site, the advice that the key to getting an agent or attention in Hollywood is "just" writing an amazing screenplay gets shot down. Why? Because they think they wrote an amazing screenplay and it doesn't get noticed. They didn't. They wrote a great screenplay when great screenplays are a dime a dozen. You need to write an exceptional once-in-a-lifetime screenplay. The bar is that high. Quite a few of the professionals here have talked about how they advanced by sharing their work with peers, who got excited and shared it with others, and that led to a producer sharing it with someone. The key, nearly always, comes down to excitement over the work. So aim for those two 10 scores. Nothing else will put you over the hump. They may move you incrementally forward and get you into the room. But getting a seat at the table requires much more.

Source Link

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

If there is so much demand, why is it so difficult to find a job?
Because the way the industry decides whether to hire people isn't very good, but it's the best way they know how.

quote:

So I can be ready (assuming I am cut out for it) in as little as 6 months?
You'd need a good sherpa because there are many rabbit holes you can fall into and we have no way of knowing which specific tools the job will need because we can't know which job you'll end up getting.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
There are a lot of things to learn about, a lot of things to specialize in, and a lot of different tools that each do the same thing (even within the same programming language). So, if you're going to do this in 6 months then you'll need to know exactly what to learn, what to learn next, and what to ignore for the time being.

Programming tutorials, books, courses, etc never tell you what to do after you've finished going through their material, and they don't explain where the stuff they're teaching you fits into the big picture. So it will be very easy to get lost or waste those 6 months without a sherpa of some kind.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

I wish I had one to be honest. I've been self teaching for like two years now. Is there a good place to hire or get one?

Also yeah alot of tutorials and such seem to miss the final steps of putting all that logic together or really getting above the surface level. Take a look at my last two months of posts in cavern of cobol to watch me in real time learn a technology stack and sql because all the tutorials just stay on a very basic level

That does sound like a good business opportunity, yeah. On paper, that sounds like what schools and boot camps should be for, doesn't it? I imagine they're all too expensive, though. Is Lambda School still a thing?

Apart from that, I guess that's where a community has to fill the gap with charity work.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

I feel like I've seen a site for mentors before, kind of like italki for language learning. I think it'd be a good idea even just to have a coach to say "work on this, work on that".

I imagine if you post in the Newbie thread in CoC saying "here's what I know already, I want to get a job doing this, what should I learn next?" they'd probably point you in the several good directions. Then the forum can be your guide!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Excrucian posted:

what is the use case for LinkedIn? My impression was that it was a rich-get-richer environment, where people who had good connections and strong resumes were able to leverage them through LinkedIn, but that it wasn't much use in cultivating those connections in the first place, or in launching a career.

This is correct imo -- just like with a resume or a college degree, it's all about "social proof". That is, "of course I'm worth special treatment in your hiring process, because just look at all these big name organizations thought I was worth it!"

When you already have those things, then amidst the copy-paste spam sometimes a big company will privately invite you to apply and give you special treatment through their process, which is the only real sure-fire way (that I've consistently experienced) to get through the resume black hole and the run-around. Of course, I always fail those interviews because I just can't get good enough to pass the algorithm lottery consistently, and the things people value most about me are not the kind of things they filter for.

The only reason I got my foot in the door was because SOME RANDOM INTERNET GUY took pity on me and gave me a chance (thank you again).

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
In a Large Organization™, leadership changes caused my Director, with whom I have a great working relationship, move to a different area of the company.

Last time she moved, I followed her and got promoted.

Talked with her again, and she's okay with doing it again! Can relocate anywhere I want, is fine with some kind of compensation increase (though of course no numbers) to help convince me to move, and is okay with doing the promotion thing again (at mid-year, and only if I can have show at least decent results to help her convince the VP).

Options are:
  • Stay in the current org, which is the company's primary revenue center, with managers who I either don't know or don't have as much trust built up with, under a new VP who had an awkward first impression of me, to do the tech equivalent of janitorial/waterboy work for teams that didn't think much of us before the re-org but are extremely competent at their jobs. Career growth would involve: becoming an expert in their domain and finding opportunities among the table scraps of work they leave for me to do. So, I'd have to work my way up, reputation-wise, and I'd stay close the coding stuff.
  • Move to the new domain, under a director I like, in an (IC) Tech Lead Software Engineer role, with the verbal promise of a promotion at mid-year if I can deliver at least decent results to make it easier for her to justify it to the new VP (i.e. the same deal as last time, which worked out). Career growth would involve: convincing the leaders of other orgs' engineering teams to prioritize migrating off the old stuff and onboarding onto the new stuff that we didn't make, and giving those teams the support they need after they onboard. So, I'd be getting further away from code compared to the above option.
  • Same as the second bullet point, above... but instead it'd be in a Technical Product Manager role instead of a Software Engineer role. The director thinks I'd do well in that career track, but I'm wary and skeptical of it because even though I get along very well with PMs... I think there's a bigger need for people to actually do the work, than there is for people to organize the people doing the work... and I'm good at actually doing the work, so I think I'd contribute more as a Tech Lead. I almost wish I could have both roles at the same time, if I'd also get both compensation packages!

At my current level, I feel like career growth is more about influencing across teams about technical stuff, and so I'm inclined to go with the second bullet point, above, but the trade-off is that it's more of a sales/marketing role rather than an engineering role... but, isn't that a lot of what tech leadership is about? Don't know, just thinking out loud.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I do run a full-rear end Jira triage and everything, I think I'm just a little concerned I won't be taken seriously.

I hereby give you permission to feel like you should be taken seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
My org within a Large Engineering Organization did layoffs recently, some of which included managers... and so now the IC:Manager ratio is 14:1.

In order to reach what I assume is the ideal ratio of 6:1 (because 6 engineers for a Scrum team is the standard), they would need to double the number of Managers. So, there's an opportunity there and I'm wondering if I should raise my hand to try it. Since the tech industry isn't looking good due to rising interest rates, I wonder how my layoff-ability would be affected between switching from the IC track to the Manager track.

Also, stereotypically people with high compensation ratios are the prime targets for layoffs... but I can't know what my compensation ratio is, and so I wonder how that'd change if I switched tracks as well. (edit: I've seen almost everybody who makes that transition get a promotion as they make the transition, and so it could be a shortcut to climb up to the next pay band)

Does anyone have any strong opinions about making that transition in the current economic environment of today? Or is the economy a non-factor when it comes to individual career paths in the tech industry?

(edit: the general advice is that I should stay on the IC track for as long as I can, and so that's my default position... but I see an obvious opportunity, and I'm not sure if I should/want to take it)

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2024