Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I'm happy where I am right now as a manager for a small test prep company (10 employees). I was promoted earlier this year and negotiated a nice raise thanks to the smart people of BFC. Things I think worked for me:

- Working for a small company. There's no chance I would be able to take on the roles I have at a big-box prep place, and it's a lot harder to stand out if you're one in a thousand other employees. That said, I'm pretty much at the top where I am now. I think it's good practice to move up in a small company to get managerial experience and then move to a larger company if that's what you want.

- Adding extra value. I've always pushed myself to do the best work and volunteered for projects that would help my skills grow. That's led me to a place where I'm a pretty irreplaceable part of the company, which definitely helps for negotiations.

- Social stuff. I'm a huge introvert but if I were a dick to people I could never be a manager. I try to be friendly and helpful and I think it's definitely helped me get where I am.

Now, I love my job and don't see myself leaving anytime soon. However, my goal is to be able to travel much more than I am right now. So I'm working towards that by doing a number of things...

Pushing towards online development of our materials.
Diversifying into side businesses. Now that I have some free time, I'm moving into developing my online freelancing work that will hopefully push me towards more independence. I don't ever want to HAVE to do one job.
Networking with other people in different fields so that if I need to switch jobs, I will have a number of prospects already lined up.

moana fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Wagoneer posted:

I've already made the mistake of telling the internal recruiter what I currently make. She said I "had" to and I foolishly disclosed.
Just for other people, I think this is a great way of responding (from InterviewMastery):

Response Strategy
1. I was paid well and in line with job market conditions.
2. You'd be happy to discuss salary history later in the hiring process
3. You're interested in the opportunity so far

Specific Examples
When asked “What was your most recent compensation?” state the following (or something similar that is comfortable for you).

“I was paid well in my last position and in-line with market conditions and the results I delivered. I will be happy to discuss my compensation history in detail when we have decided that I'm the right person for this position.”

If they asked again;
“I realize that you need to make certain that my salary expectations are consistent with the salary range. To ensure we are aligned, please tell me the salary range and I'll let you know how my salary matches the range.”

If they ask yet again;
“When deciding on a position I consider the following factors; quality of the opportunity, quality of the company and the people I'd be working with, long term growth potential, location and compensation.
Compensation is the least important criteria I use to evaluate a position. So far I'm impressed with what I have learned about this opportunity and remain very interested.”

Apart from that, if it's a computer issue ("I need to put in a number into this field to continue") a good response is: "Okay, just put $1 and we'll revisit it later."

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

I don't want to get all E/N, but suffice it to say I am 30 and I need a new gig. My problem is that while I like working and I am not lazy, I have no specific work related aspirations (except totally unrealistic hopes that I cannot alleviate myself of, such as 'become a novelist' ).
Two years ago I started writing and now I make five figures a month as a novelist. It's only unrealistic if you plan on not working hard.

I really like Paul Graham's essay How to Do What You Love: http://paulgraham.com/love.html

"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. It causes you to work not on what you like, but what you'd like to like.

That's what leads people to try to write novels, for example. They like reading novels. They notice that people who write them win Nobel prizes. What could be more wonderful, they think, than to be a novelist? But liking the idea of being a novelist is not enough; you have to like the actual work of novel-writing if you're going to be good at it; you have to like making up elaborate lies."

didn't realize it would be so apropos, but there you have it :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

Any specific advice for that path? (I will accept 'Don't.')
Write. Try it on weekends first. See if you like it. If you like it after writing 30,000 words, then feel free to message me with any more questions about how to start.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

MoosetheMooche posted:

I am a good writer/editor
With the recent boom in self-publishing, there have popped up a bunch of writing/editing opportunities. Do you have an online portfolio? I would start doing editing for people on the cheap and then raise prices once you know better what you're doing. OR start writing on your own. This avenue is more volatile but can have high reward. Freelance writing opportunities are also doing well, I think we have a thread on that..?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

The job switch to SF would set you up for moving back to Boston later at a much higher pay level if you decided you didn't like California. If you don't think you would burn out at 50 hours a week, then that's the direction I'd lead. And honestly, if the work is more interesting, 10 more hours a week isn't going to hurt you as bad.

Have you ever lived or visited SF? It's a very different feel than Boston.

The other main difference, which might not be too problematic if you're a guy and a recent college grad not looking to settle down, are the dating possibilities. I've heard from all my friends in SF that there are very few women available compared to men. Not sure how good/bad it is in Boston, but dating pool is usually one of the other criteria for young workers, so that's something to consider. I'd suggest picking up Richard Florida's Who's Your City from the library to read through and see if you've missed any other important factors in quality of life. But yeah, don't burn bridges in either case.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

If you're also good at English and standardized tests in general, Manhattan GMAT pays their tutors super well. If not, then math tutoring on your own or through a small boutique tutoring company will net you the most $$.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Valex posted:

I've been interested in tutoring but I got the impression it was more of a part-time gig. Would it be possible to make a livable wage from that?
I did tutoring as my primary gig for the past seven years and worked my way up to managing a test prep center. At the start it was around $20-25/hr, I forget, but they bumped me up to eventually $45/hr, then I got a salary of $72k + benefits/bonuses as a tutor manager. The billable rates were crazy; right now they charge $150/hr for my tutoring and I get half of that, but in NYC I know boutique firms that charge $250/hr. Manhattan GMAT I think pays $100/hr (independent contractor). You can do very well if you build a name for yourself and don't sell your services short.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I taught high school and would not recommend it. If it's one class, then maybe. You will want to murder, that is for sure.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

For what its worth, you work like half the year and get a million days off. Also you might feel some personal satisfaction if you teach kids with no opportunities and convince some of them that they can make something of themselves.
You've never taught high school, have you?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Radbot posted:

How do you make that jump - from a job you like and are comfortable in, to one that's a total wildcard but that promises to pay more?
I would say just make sure during the interview process that you're vetting them as much as they're vetting you. If you can, go on a lunch with the people you'll be working with. I've done tons of lunch interviews, it really helps to get to know candidates better. Apart from that, I dunno. I quit my awesome cushy job last year to work for myself, and it was scary as hell but totally worth it. Remember that the biggest factor in happiness is whether or not you like your coworkers, and decide based on that.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

That's so awesome!! Here's hoping it goes through for you :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

I do feel overwhelmed at the prospect of just... starting on my own. I've felt that way before, though, and I know that a lot of the time that overwhelmed/terrified feeling is just what learning really fast feels like. I kinda needed to be reminded of that. :)
The important thing is to keep pushing yourself into that danger zone of steep learning, no matter what your field is or how far into your career you are. Hard is good. If something is hard to master, then there aren't that many people who are going to put forth the effort to master it. You win, because you're the one who's willing to learn the hard stuff.

Guiness is totally right. Never stop learning. That alone will put you leaps and bounds ahead of everyone who stopped after "I got a degree."

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Tacier posted:

After turning 30 years old last week I've been having a huge, prolonged panic attack about my non-existent career.
gently caress careers. Few people in our generation have careers; the world is changing too quickly to settle in a career path. I switched my focus completely just before I turned thirty and I expect that I'll be changing fields in the next few years. At least you found out what you don't like to do, that's worth something. What do you like to do? What skills do you have?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

CHARLES posted:

I've got a part-time research contracting job currently that runs until next year. It pays 40K (pre-tax, no benefits) and I can do most of the work from my house (so no commute). It's also in a field that's related to my career interests and there's a potential for a full time position with the company down the line. I could see myself picking up spec work to fill out the hours down the line and maybe push my pre-tax earnings up to 55K through those.

At the same time, I've recently received a different full time job offer for a position that pays 54K + benefits valued at 30% of salary. Downside is that the position is a tech-support position/training position that's not really my career focus and that I would need to do an hour and a half commute to each day. The organization is involved in work relevant to my interests and I could build a professional network there, but this particular position is not directly involved in doing any of that work.

That's a big pay gap (over 30k if they actually value those benefits correctly) but I still would not take it. Assuming that's a full commute of an hour and a half, you're giving up a lot of hours for a pay bump to do full time work you're not interested in. I'd keep the part time job that you enjoy and focus on building skills and side income apart from the job. You can also stash away more money pretax if you work both for an employer and self-employed.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

Can you tell me more about that last bit? Like if I have two jobs I can contribute extra money to a 401K or something?
Not two jobs but one job as an employee and one as a self-employed person. You're likely not near this level yet with your income but yeah, once you're saving past the max you can split the contributions as both employer and employee. Opening up a solo 401k for yourself as an employer allows you to put part of your self employed profits into retirement accounts pretax. Depending on how much you make, you can shelter up to $53k, and twice that if you're making a shitton of money across both your own business and as an employee.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2013/06/06/sep-ira-vs-self-employed-401k/
http://www.financialsamurai.com/how-to-save-more-than-100000-a-year-pre-tax-open-a-sep-ira-or-solo-401k/

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Earth Table posted:

Second, that earnestly helps me feel better. Thank you. I came across as rambly, but I guess what I'm trying to ask is what I can do right now to bolster my career/earnings. I know I have to figure out what I really want to do.
Most of your early career will be fumbling around trying to figure out the intersection of what you like and what you're good at. As long as you keep on pushing yourself to learn different and harder skills, one of them will eventually click for you.

God, and if you know InDesign, you can get tons of gigs helping people format their lovely books and workbooks. I loving hate Indesign with the passion of a thousand suns.

it is posted:

Holy poo poo I know it's only 8 days in but good call. It's like every single thing in this job was designed to motivate me. Maximizing all my numbers and talking about people's businesses all day is fun. I actually want to wake up in time to get to work at 8:15.

Now I just have to see if I end up being good at this :D
Yay, a success story! Congrats :toot:

RC and Moon Pie posted:

So, uh, does anyone perhaps have further suggestions?
You're asking how to make a living with creative writing. A crapton of people want to do the same thing. Do you have any specialized skills? I think there's a freelance writers thread either here or in CC you could look at, but be aware that this isn't going to be an easy way to make a living.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

buglord posted:

The problem with the self reflection is that I could answer all those but I'm pretty sure I would be wrong. I wanted to go into archaeology, and while it was cool, it was not at all what I expected and was happy to get out. This lab job wasn't something I was looking forward to. While its not my ~dream job~, my boss gives me a lot of control on how I do projects and at what rate. I thought I was the type to like very structured work, but it turns out that I flourish in very "open ended" jobs.
Honestly, can you not try doing any of the things you're interested in part time outside of work? Like, people who do homebrewing and eventually open their own brewery, jewelry makers who sell on etsy, etc. It's more independent and less teamworky than you describe, but there are online communities around just about anything you can learn.

I was teaching math when I started learning graphic design and writing, and in a few years i was making more from my side stuff than my actual job. Met lots of cool people at conferences, in local groups, etc. You get that steep learning curve that's so fun.

In my opinion, you should always be learning new skills, developing the ones that interest you and seeing where they lead. You don't need a job to develop skills for a lot of stuff. Pick something with a low cost of entry, try it for a bit, rinse repeat.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

nitsuga posted:

Teaching has always interested me, but so do a number of other things (some trades, dentistry, even career counseling). I’d need schooling for these and would make less to start, but I am in a position that I could manage that. I want to do some volunteer work to hopefully find some more clarity, but I’d really appreciate hearing anything from anyone who has thought about or navigated a change like this.
Teaching is one of those things that everybody likes to think they would enjoy. You think back to the teachers who inspired you, the great teachers who taught what they loved and whose students admired them.

That will not be you. For the first few years, and perhaps indefinitely, you will be the teacher you hated. The teacher who can't even get to the material because the students run wild, because classroom management is 99% of the difficulty of teaching. You will be unfair and make mistakes every single day. Your kids will despise you. You will work long hours for low pay. You will spend hours on lesson plans that suck. You will spend hours on lesson plans that never get used. You will fail miserably in your first year, because even if you are halfway decent at teaching you have this expectation you've built up in your head and reality will come nowhere near it.

Teaching is not fun or easy for the first few years, and I think you would be insane to go back to school for it.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

nitsuga posted:

It sounds like you’re speaking from experience. Are you still teaching? If not, what did you end up doing instead?

I still have some questions to answer about this, but I definitely get how teaching may not be the most sensible choice.

I guess I’m curious about anyone who’s made a relatively major career change. Where did you end up? What would you do differently if you could?
I taught for one year in public school. Then tutored for a private prep company making twice as much handling 1/30th as many students. Teaching math had been my dream since forever, like when I was five I lined up my stuffed animals and taught them addition,. I had been tutoring since I was 13. That first year teaching was the worst year of my life. I spiraled into depression and weighed 95 pounds by the end of the year. I had kids who loved me - not enough. Top performances in student testing- not enough. So much of the job is classroom management and that sucks so much rear end.

What I say to anyone who asks is that if you want to teach, it needs to be your absolute passion, and even then it's not enough most of the time. You won't get paid poo poo, will have zero prestige ("those who can't, teach") and you'll be working in the most broken lovely system possible.

After tutoring I made another big career change into self publishing romance novels and made a crapton of money. Taught myself photoshop and did some graphic design work. Now I'm switching careers again into financial planning. Just keep trying out new things, keep learning new skills, and you'll find something that works for you. Don't hesitate to jump at new opportunities if you have a good net to fall back on, and keep learning things so your net gets stronger. Hang out with people who are smarter and older and better than you and ask for their advice all the time.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I thought it was great personally. Surprised it only took a year to find out it wasn’t what you wanted, but even before that, did you not student teach during college?
Student taught, handled classfuls of tutoring students, the works. Nothing prepares you for having a class of your own where nobody else is there to help discipline.

Bi-la kaifa posted:

For the last 4 years I've been teaching. For the last two I've been running a middle school classroom. The first year was hell, and the second wasn't a whole lot better. If my SO wasn't a teacher I don't think I would have made it through, and probably would have gone back to school for something else. Once I got my own class and figured out how to manage the little hormone monsters it became kind of fun. Most of the time though you'll be living for the next stretch of vacation time.
My SO lasted exactly one DAY teaching middle school. Godspeed to anyone teaching those ages.

What skills do you have? I was making decent money making book covers for self publishers. If you can learn about Facebook ads/ SEO/ other internet marketing skills, you won't have to go back to school to switch fields. What do you want to do?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I've gotten a couple PMs about the romance novel thing, so here's my quick and dirty rundown:

1. Read the self-publishing thread OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639693 Sundae also made a crapton of that sweet sweet not-at-all-sweet-romance money, so listen to what he says.

2. Understand that romance in particular has gotten pretty well saturated. I wrote from 2012-2016 or so, beginnings of the Kindle era. Now it's much harder to break into the market. If you're not tied specifically to romance, consider targeting other less served niches: cozy mysteries was an underserved niche as of a couple years ago, not sure what else is out there now.

3. It's easier to make decent stable income from microniches: historical gay romance novels, polyamorous rom-com, serial killer dark romance, Quaker sweet inspirational... just to name some niche examples from the romance genre. You won't have the breakout potential of a general billionaire romance, but you also won't be competing against as many authors. Your fans will be more loyal.

4. Do your research before you start writing.

5. This isn't an easy way to make money. I made a crapton of money, but I also wrote 25 novels over the course of 3 years and handled all the coverwork, formatting, marketing, newsletter, book bombs, etc. That's a lot of work, and most people aren't cut out for it. I liked writing but even I burned out pretty quickly. Don't know if I should have to say this, but: if you don't like writing, don't become a writer!

6. Nonfiction can be pretty lucrative if you have specialist knowledge, especially tech stuff. Those books also tend to have more longevity than novels.

7. Plenty of networking opportunities online for every genre under the sun. Join writer groups and bounce questions to indie authors who are successful. Make sure you have done the work (written a couple of books) before approaching successful indies to ask for advice. Don't ask them to read your books, they will not want to. Ask them if there are online groups you should know about, because that's what's going to help you.

8. Can't be said enough: pick indie authors whose books sell well in your chosen subgenre. Read them, study their marketing and covers and blurbs, emulate style without plagiarizing. Study the heck out of what works, and then do it again but with your own twist. Most of my money was made with kinky billionaires in the wake of 50 Shades.

9. Your super original novel that's completely unlike any other book out there? Nobody wants to read that poo poo, that's why it's not out there. There's nothing new under the sun, but if I told all of you to write a romance between a firefighter and an arsonist, each one of you would write completely different novels in completely different styles - that's part of why writing and storytelling is so awesome. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, just make your wheel the sexiest wheel possible and people will buy it.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Good info. Is fantasy still a poo poo show to try and get into?
You talking about wizards and orcs or about sexy dragonkin who sex each other up? Because I know someone making a million a year and you can guess what kind she writes.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

shrimpwhiskers posted:

Do you have, like, infinite self control? I have an art degree and photoshop skills.
I started out using GIMP which, in fact, does require infinite self control. What I did was start out charging $10/cover for book covers from desperate self publishers and built up a portfolio. Got more clients, charged more, got better, charged more, got more clients. After a year or so I was asking $200/cover, extra for the createspace version. Same with any entrepreneur thing, just keep getting clients until you have to turn them away, then raise prices.

If you have no dignity, people will pay top dollar for sexy art of themselves as their fursonas or bronies or whatever. I don't know if it will make you want to kill yourself less than retail. Sex sells in any form imaginable.

KillHour posted:

A million a year? gently caress, smut pays.
It does, but she is also a hilarious and talented writer, and she pushed out two full length novels a month. Targeted the BBW market with curvy heroines and hunky shapeshifters. Her fan base is rabid.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah I’d figure I’d be like “Hey saw you had a great event this weekend the photos looked fun! Was just checking in to see if you received my email earlier I. The week? I know sometimes Google can eat up emails with large amounts of attachments”.
Cut the last sentence imo. End with the clear question of what you want him to reply to.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Is it hopefully a jump in title, like associate manager or something? Because if so, I would take it and job search like heck.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

If you're entrepreneurial, marketing with an emphasis on video content could be very lucrative.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Fionordequester posted:

Marketing with an emphasis on video content... What do you mean? As in, I keep producing content, just, I put more effort into advertising it?
As in, when I go to financial planning conventions, there is a person there with a setup that you pay to go in and have them record you and edit up your video. They charge a lot. So you could be that person.

Obviously you could pick a different industry to try to get into, finance is just what I'm familiar with, but being able to slap some captions and a nice intro/outro onto raw video footage is a ticket to printing money if you can get a toehold into some industry. I'm also a self publisher and authors pay lots of money for video book promos. Get yourself a drone and edit together wedding videos. Video tours are big right now in real estate for obvious reasons. If you really enjoy doing video, it's totally a viable field to launch into.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Farming is great until you realize you have to do it every day or hire someone to take care of everything for you, or your goats and chickens and corn and whatever will die. No breaks, early rising, it sucks when you HAVE to do it.

How close are you to early retirement? If your wife is willing to move, you could probably save a lot more money living in not the bay area and get some land you could work on for fun on weekends. What do you do on weekends now? Because if it's not gardening things then you probably don't really want to farm, you just want something different.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not go in to management in a company with incompetent management would be my advice on that specific path. you will learn extremely bad habits.
Would it be worth it to push for management and then switch jobs once he has the title?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

rainmstr posted:

Hi,
I'm a high school junior. Recently I have gotten a real inspiration and passion to try and become a Game Designer.

Let me preface this by saying if you were 30 years old and asking this, the answer would almost 100% be "don't do it." Here are my reasons:
- Turning a hobby into a career sometimes makes you lose passion for your hobby. If you do this 40 hours a week, will you hate it? How much time do you spend doing it now?
- Everybody thinks game design is cool, therefore game design is a field that is wildly underpaid. Just know that going in. You are probably not going to get rich ever doing this. Is that something you care about?
- You really have to be the tits to go pro in this field. I don't think "good tier" cuts it. Hopefully you're being modest. I don't know how far modest goes in this field.

If I were you, and I wanted to break into the field, I'd learn some coding to go along with the graphic design. I would spend the entirety of my junior year making some sort of demo game - ideally a live phone app or similar. If you don't have anything else on your resume, you need something like that. OR, I would shoot for an entirely different career and work on game design as a side project.

To be brutally honest, if you've just been "looking into portfolio ideas" for two whole months without producing anything, then no, game design is probably not your field. If you're serious about this, produce something.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Look around job postings and see which ones look like you want to do them as a next step in your career, then ask for that title. Also, i am curious: What the gently caress does an ontologist do?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Or post your own thread and link it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Excrucian, if you're into technical writing let me tell you that can be a very lucrative career, and it's one of the easiest to do remote (not sure about breaking into the field remotely though). Although if I were starting a new career now, "Will my job be replaced by AI in the near future?" would be a top consideration.