Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
One of the VPs in my company sat down with me for a skip-level meeting. He told me he looks for 3 things when he promotes someone:

1. The smarts to deal with the new position as well as deal with unexpected situations
2. The humility to learn to deal with the new position, as well as the ability to learn.
3. The hunger and desire to work for the new position, as well as the passion to excel at the position.

He told me he really sees me as strong in #1 and #2, but he definitely wants to see me get better at #3 before he would consider promoting me. It wasn't disheartening to hear as much as inspirational in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Fraternite posted:

So what's the plan he's signed off on where you can get the opportunity to measure your development over time at #3? And what's the VP's timeline for you if/when you show success by meeting his expectations by that date?

If you don't have answers to these questions there's a good chance you're getting smoke blown up your rear end. Written critiques with mutually-agreed on goals and terms of success is how serious career development happens. Vague verbal promises about the future is how people get indefinitely strung along.

Thanks for this. Its really putting things into perspective for me. I'm going to mention getting some goals and terms of success in place with my new manager to ensure that I am able to move forward with my career development. I honestly appreciate the other feedback on this as well.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

Be proactive with this. Have ideas of what you think would be really good goals and objectives, and have a clear development objective. Do you want to go up the next level? Have a plan that gets you there.

I know this will sound cheesy, but seriously, use the SMART concept when defining your goals. I usually have my people only take on a couple things at a time, but under the framework of some broader plan. You will look like a rockstar if come up with a plan and execute against it. Will also show the drive your VP is looking for.

This is all about what you do, how well you execute, and how well you communicate your success up the chain.

More good advice! I've set up a meeting for next week to go over these goals with my supervisor. I have a week to come up with these now and to really break down where I want to go within this company over the next year.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do you want to be a project manager? There is a way to move up in that field, but it may not really be what you want... That being said it is an entire career/industry.

What are some of these career paths that people may not want?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Xguard86 posted:

I used to list my excel skills as average because I assumed everyone knew how to use vlookup and shortcuts and all those kinds of formulas. A recruiter I worked with said "haha no put master you're deeply underselling"

So if you're any good at all at least out advanced.

The things people don't know how to do in Excel is mindblowing. You figure they could at least understand that Excel is more than something used to track project progress.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Yay :unsmith: just got word that I got a 11% raise.

The biggest thing coming out of the meeting is that I need to start learning how to be a much more strategic thinker. Does that basically mean I need to be able to anticipate what executives want to hear and be able to communicate to them in a way that makes sense to them?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Maybe your company could pay for it? I was able to swing a Certified Scrum Master class with Jeff Sutherland through my company since we were starting to heavily apply agile scrum to a lot of our project management work.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I know you're in the US, but if you were, you'd be able to take a education tax credit in most casees since its work-related and improving your overall skills.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
A bit of advice needed, especially for those people who have jumped from FTE status to contractor status. I currently make around $95k a year + benefits. There're a few potential offers through recruiting companies that pay $75-$80 an hour for the same work that I'm already doing. I live in the Bay Area right now. Outside of having to pay for insurance, not getting IRA matching, and no free money from choosing an HSA, are there any other potential gotchas in this situation? If I jump back to becoming a FTE again in the future, will this affect my overall career path by being a year-to-year contractor?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Alright - want to see how other people feel about this.

I have two offers on the table, both of which are for a large clothing retailer in San Francisco.

1. Contracting position with a company. Through a contractor - they're offering me a wage of $72.50 an hour and I get benefits through the contracting company.

2. Consulting position at another company, but they are working with the company mentioned in #1, I'd just be a FTE with this company. Salary is $145k and I get full-time benefits through #1.

I'm much more leaning towards #2 and I can't find any benefits in being a contractor outside of slightly more pay (even thougH i have to pay double-tax on it.

There's a third option - working with one of the biggest retailers in the world at their Labs division. I've heard both good and bad things at this company as well. I'm not sure what the offer is yet but it should be competitive with either one.

What would you choose??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
ONe last thing - the contracting position has "the potential" to become full-time. My understanding is that these large retailer tech divisions generally hire via contracting rather than straight up FTE. That's a consideration but I don't have anything in writing regarding this so there's risk associated there. Has anyone else had any experience in terms of contracting -> FTE?