Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Doublepostin but:

I'm going to put a thread in SA Mart for people who want to buy copies of the book/upgrade from the pdf in a few days. I'll link it in here once I do.

The first Fünhaver Monthly will be out not long after everyone gets their books. PublicOpinion is doing some art for it :toot: . Here's the table of contents:

quote:

Play Advice - easy Last Stand hacks
Dungeon Creepy Crawlers - Düngeön rules preview, Class cards
Thunder Lizards - A collection of dinosaurs
Giant Threats - New giant monsters and playable giant Bio-Armor
Ragnarök teaser

Overall that's going to be 5-6 new Bio-Armor equivalents and about the same number of monsters, which means about 25-30 new powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gently caress yeah. I'm pretty psyched for this. Glad I was part of the kickstarter.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

If we preordered from the kickstarter, are we going to have a chance to send you our address? I sent an email to someone on the team, because I was moving, and I was told to hold off until it was actually shipping.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Kevindanger posted:

If we preordered from the kickstarter, are we going to have a chance to send you our address? I sent an email to someone on the team, because I was moving, and I was told to hold off until it was actually shipping.

Yes, please send me an update to funhavergames at gmail or through the Kickstarter messages.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, so Last Stand at PAX.

As I said, I ran two demos that were powered by me walking around the tabletop area with a handwritten "sign" saying "ASK ME HOW TO SAVE PAX FROM GIANT BUGS". I did have people ask me who didn't end up playing, but I still managed to point them at the PDF/Amazon copies.

The games went pretty well, but I know I screwed up a lot of the rules. Which was my fault, I decided to do this at the last second, so I had to speed-read the rules.

Still, the seven people I got to play had fun, throwing cars through buildings and powerbombing stinger bees.

I did have a few rules questions, though:
1) How many tokens does the GM start with? I was fighting with the Tarantank, and I made the mistake of only giving myself 3 tokens the first game, which meant the first time I lost the gamble I was cut off from its best attack.
2) Can you use any stat with a card, or are the individual cards tied to specific stats?
3) How do you earn more tokens outside of gambles?

If I had it all to do again, I think the biggest change I'd make would be making preset suits instead of doing a draft; when you're trying to do the whole thing in an hour and a half/two hours and explaining the rules while people are sorting through cards gets things off to a slow start.

Still, everyone enjoyed stopping giant insects from destroying downtown Boston and hopefully at least some of the people I talked to/played with went on to get the game.

My biggest regret is that I didn't get a picture of myself with the sign.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Evil Mastermind posted:

1) How many tokens does the GM start with? I was fighting with the Tarantank, and I made the mistake of only giving myself 3 tokens the first game, which meant the first time I lost the gamble I was cut off from its best attack.

Infinite.

quote:

2) Can you use any stat with a card, or are the individual cards tied to specific stats?

With any card.

quote:

3) How do you earn more tokens outside of gambles?

The GM can bribe you into courses of action with tokens, when the GM spends enough tokens, through some field effects, through some powers, giving in to social combat, through the initiative bribe and a few other parts.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Still, the seven people I got to play had fun, throwing cars through buildings and powerbombing stinger bees.

:toot:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mikan posted:

Infinite.

Then I think I'm missing something; if I have unlimited tokens then why do monster powers say "Wager 2"? Is that just something to keep the power descriptions in line between GM and players?

quote:

With any card.

Okay, good, that's what I thought. (Except when the card specifies, of course)

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'm pretty sure that when the GM wins a wager, the tokens don't count as 'spent'. When the GM has a pile of spent tokens equal to the number of players, all the players get one. A string of lost wagers or heavy powers funnels a huge stream of tokens to the players.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

When the GM "spends" tokens, they go into a pool in the center of the table. Once that pool has tokens in it equal to the players, all the players get to take one of the tokens.
When a GM power is a Wager, it's a chance the tokens don't get added to the pool. When the GM wins the Wager, the tokens don't get added and the players aren't gonna get more tokens as a result of the power. If the GM loses, they go in the pool same as spending.
It's on page 20 of the book.

beaten to questions about my own game, a shameful designer

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That rule, incidentally, is one of the most wonderfully self-balancing things about the game. It adjusts to a GM's miserliness/generosity, it adjusts to giving monsters really unfair but pricey powers and it even adjusts to play style. Makes it a drat pleasure to write for.

What I'm saying Mikan is let's write more. I'm already spoiling my next project on G+.

e: Actually I've been spoiling it for a while, hope you read the old thread! :v:

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mikan posted:

When the GM "spends" tokens, they go into a pool in the center of the table. Once that pool has tokens in it equal to the players, all the players get to take one of the tokens.
When a GM power is a Wager, it's a chance the tokens don't get added to the pool. When the GM wins the Wager, the tokens don't get added and the players aren't gonna get more tokens as a result of the power. If the GM loses, they go in the pool same as spending.
It's on page 20 of the book.
Ah, gotcha. That would have changed how I ran the demos then.

quote:

beaten to questions about my own game, a shameful designer
I missed a lot of obvious rules, a shameful demo GM

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Now that Kickstarter copies are on their way, Armory Decks can be purchased on The Game Crafter. The print book can be purchased on Amazon or directly through me, and I'm working to get the DrivethruRPG print on demand copies looking decent.

The first backer copies should start arriving early next week. It's very exciting. It's also very exhausting, because I am writing a lot of thank you notes and drawing on card decks and setting up unique content for some people.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder what this little guy is so stoked for???

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Looks like he just won a wager and did big damage to his foes.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

PublicOpinion posted:

I wonder what this little guy is so stoked for???

That little guy is the Cyclosa Mech Spider, and he's probably the biggest of the giant monsters I've ever written. :3:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I made the cover for this yo. :woop:

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

ravenkult posted:

I made the cover for this yo. :woop:

That reminds me! There are people who want to order prints of the cover, and I haven't heard back from you by email yet. If you have prints to sell I know a few people who want to spend money on them.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Mikan posted:

That reminds me! There are people who want to order prints of the cover, and I haven't heard back from you by email yet. If you have prints to sell I know a few people who want to spend money on them.

Actually I never got an email. I can put it up on Redbubble for cheap or something.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Link it in here if you do and I will point people to it, that cover got an excellent reception. (A bit too excellent, I've seen way more blogs and g+ entries talking about the cover than the actual game.)

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Mikan posted:

(A bit too excellent, I've seen way more blogs and g+ entries talking about the cover than the actual game.)

That's what happens ~*kickflips out of thread~*

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The cover is rad, but I'd hazard a guess that you'll see more gameplay discussion once hard copies are in our grubby hands.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I know books were supposed to start going out Monday, and there's a lot of books to get through the mail, so when should we start worrying if they haven't arrived? I'm antsy for giant ants.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I'd say start worrying around May. I have a lot of books to ship out, solo, while also taking care of my mom after some nasty surgery complications. That gives me a fairly limited window to hit the post office and work on things - I expect to still be shipping this whole week and, worse case scenario, a day or two next week.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mikan posted:

I'd say start worrying around May. I have a lot of books to ship out, solo, while also taking care of my mom after some nasty surgery complications. That gives me a fairly limited window to hit the post office and work on things - I expect to still be shipping this whole week and, worse case scenario, a day or two next week.

Have you considered asking to see if people in your area would be willing to lend a hand? I know that's what the Dungeon World dudes did.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Yeah, I have folks who are helping me out with things. The guys mentioned in the credits section have been incredibly helpful with keeping the process running. It's still slow with everything going on though.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
So I've been toying with my own homebrew game for the Fortune System some more, and think I have gotten most of the mechanics hammered out. Have 3 or 4 new token types, a couple unique mechanics to add to it, a half dozen field effects, and a rough outline for a handful of monsters.

However, one of the things I was considering was having 'Frame powers', where when you rip the frame from a creature instead of a power, it grants you a power, much like ripped and slotted powers do. These powers, however, wouldn't be 'normally' usable during a session (like ripped powers are), and also can't be chosen for slotting at the end of the session (Although you can choose them as your choice of what to keep, during the session wrap-up)

Instead, building a new Bio-Armor would be changed from the current system (1 frame+4 powers) to just using 3 frames. One frame determines the 'chassis' of the frame, that everything else is built on, and only offers narrative effects. Then the other two can be used for its powers. This could help give powers that don't really fit as slotted powers, but could still work well on an armor itself, like the default Ant's armor powers. Normal slot-able powers can be turned into a frame by sacrificing another slot-able power, leaving the balance for slotted powers the same as it already is.

Thoughts?

Also hey, made a thing. Not quite as fancy as I planned, but I might pretty it up in a PDF editor some time or something. Print it out, make 3 cuts between the powers on the bottom, and then you can tear the ripped powers off to hand to players, and if they keep a power, can rip the slotted power off for them.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ceetee posted:

Thoughts?

I think that works pretty well, and makes things simpler. Ripped powers can be a headache to keep track of during play. One of the things I talk about in the FM is how to deal with that.

Ceetee posted:

Also hey, made a thing. Not quite as fancy as I planned, but I might pretty it up in a PDF editor some time or something. Print it out, make 3 cuts between the powers on the bottom, and then you can tear the ripped powers off to hand to players, and if they keep a power, can rip the slotted power off for them.

This is really cool! I tweeted this out so more people can see it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I put the Last Stand poster up on Society6.

Poster

Get free shipping with that link until April 14th.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
Planning on running a campaign soon, and I had two questions.

First, am I right in assuming that characters can not die? The book mentions some narrative ways, like removing armor, but in combat itself, are they unkillable? And does this in turn extend to all fortune system games?

And second, how exactly does the 'damage over time' token work. The PDF never mentions how to handle condition tokens on monsters. I assume it acts the same as on players, and they can use that to pay for token costs in place of putting a token into the GM pool?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Ceetee posted:

Planning on running a campaign soon, and I had two questions.

First, am I right in assuming that characters can not die? The book mentions some narrative ways, like removing armor, but in combat itself, are they unkillable? And does this in turn extend to all fortune system games?

And second, how exactly does the 'damage over time' token work. The PDF never mentions how to handle condition tokens on monsters. I assume it acts the same as on players, and they can use that to pay for token costs in place of putting a token into the GM pool?

I can't remember where it's written, but I'm pretty sure the way condition tokens work on monsters is that they're permanent EXCEPT for ones like Paralysis tokens where there's a specific "Take damage, remove token" trigger.

Also, Mikan, how's shipping coming along?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
We had someone missing during our regular Diaspora/Bulldogs mashup game last night, so I broke out Last Stand. I had people make characters the same night as our Diaspora ones, just because we have a tendency to skip nights when someone can't make it. We generally play pretty densely packed player-driven games so it's a tough to have someone miss a week when something comes up.

Anyway, it was a ton of fun! We had Ant, Crab, Pistol Shrimp, and Mantis agents up against a Queen Bee, some Boomers and Stingers, a Centepede, and The Crusher. I ended up getting the Ant down to 2 HP at one point (Boomers hit like trucks), but the Crab was hardly touched. I'll likely have to add an extra monster or two next time we play.

It sounds like the box sets/armory decks might be getting some field effect/sector cards, but even without that I think I came up with a decent solution:

Still can't wait to get my hands on the cards though. I'm a total sucker for card-based mechanics, and while we've already done the draft it'll be cool to let everyone ditch the little slips of paper we're using for the armory items (though we're still stuck with them for ripped/slotted abilities unless I can come up with something else).

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Its here!

:eyepop:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

ravenkult posted:

I put the Last Stand poster up on Society6.

Poster

Get free shipping with that link until April 14th.

I got the biggest size of the print and it showed up yesterday. Holy poo poo it's pretty.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I have obtained the power of BIO ARMOR.

My box of cards had Breath of Fire on it, and I am also completely envious of everybody who hasn't shipped yet because I just accidentally helped inspire the custom stuff they're getting, and it is awesome.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

neongrey posted:

I got the biggest size of the print and it showed up yesterday. Holy poo poo it's pretty.

Glad you liked it. Free shipping through Sunday, worldwide, right now.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Mine arrived! Custom power: #1 Director :cool:.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nice! I got Fly Bio-Armor. It's pretty great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just opened mine up while going "Holy poo poo holy poo poo yessss" over and over again :v:

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

NinjaDebugger posted:

and I am also completely envious of everybody who hasn't shipped yet because I just accidentally helped inspire the custom stuff they're getting, and it is awesome.

I am pretty sure I am going to have to release Last Slam to the world at some point as its own thing, because it has been way too much fun to write for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mikan posted:

I am pretty sure I am going to have to release Last Slam to the world at some point as its own thing, because it has been way too much fun to write for.

But what will the attributes be? Barkley, Jordan and...?

• Locked thread