Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Dantes posted:

Because next season they are going to hunt down Longinus lance in a temple with mystical monks ?

I kind of hate you for reminding me of that :sigh:

But yeah, I'm catching up on this show because of my love for Strike Back, and even though I'm only on episode 2, it's enjoyable so far. Job is pretty amazing, I think he's my favourite character and hope he shows up in Banshee. Characters like him and Lafayette have a direct line to my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Bown posted:

I did not know this! poo poo.

So with Strike Back, is it only the latest season with Cinemax that's really good/has the awesome production values? After digging this and hearing a ton about the cinematography on that show, I'd like to get into it, but it's not the sort of thing I'm usually into so I have no problem skipping the early seasons if they're not as good.

The first season isn't Cinemax, but the following two (subtitled Project Dawn and Vengeance) are. The first season with Richard Armitage wasn't bad, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, but you can definitely see the difference when they get that Cinemax budget. More expansive shots, better practical and computer effects, and a bigger cast. So yeah, you could technically go into Cinemax's Strike Back without watching the previous season, because they almost wipe the slate clean (different cast, different locations, even the organization has a more military feel than the first season), but the Armitage season is still a good watch on its own. Also it's really short, 6 episodes if I remember that right? And each Cinemax season is only 10 episodes, split into five 2-episode arcs. If you have the free time, I'd say just go ahead and watch it all, it can't hurt any.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So I heard that they aired a behind the scenes type sneak peek for Strike Back after Friday's episode. Did anyone catch that, and can they describe what was in it? I've been waiting for word on the new season since October when they announced it, and I haven't been able to find any mention of this sneak peek on youtube or the Cinemax site.

I'm also really excited for this finale. Banshee was a show that took me a couple of tries to get past the first ten minutes, but I'm really glad I did. This is some fantastic television, and I'm really sad that it's just about over for the year.

VVV Right?

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 12, 2013

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Alright, I return to answer my own request, but here's the teaser promo for the next season of Strike Back! I can only assume it was the one that played after last week's Banshee?

The week passed so quickly, it's almost over :(

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
My brother's response to my being uncomfortable every time they were on screen together: "What, he just sees himself in her :haw:"

Also, I've watched the MMA fight scene like 10 times now, and I still jump every time Hood breaks the guy's arm.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Oh poo poo, because January's not too far away, is it? Where's the year gone?

That trailer looks pretty incredible. Last season was one of those shows where the end of every episode had you thinking "poo poo can't get any realer," and then showed you how wrong you were the next week. Don't know if I'll be able to physically deal with it if they ramp it up even more this season.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
That was such a great episode. The brutality and the drama and stuff were great and all, but the little comedic bits put it that extra level up. Burton and the jacuzzi remote, and Hood being so entertained at Siobhan kicking her ex's rear end, they were just perfect.

Also Job's outfit at the beginning. That was wonderful :swoon:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
The suspense with Burton is killing me. On the one hand, I love that they're keeping him in the background and letting Kai show that he's perfectly capable of taking care of himself, even in the face of a gang of thugs, but on the other hand, I really need him to wreck poo poo. I waited all last season for it, though that bit with the guy and the bottle was pretty cool. It's just that every time he takes his glasses off, it's like Stabler rolling up his sleeves, but without the payoff. In this last one, he just took out one guy's knees, and then mic-dropped the baseball bat. It's too much. Too much. Unleash the beast, Burton. Preferably this season.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I liked that we got to take an emotional detour from the action of the show, like a breather without actually taking a break from episodes. With shows like Banshee, where they do fantastically well already with fusing dramatic performances in with the action, you get these times where you wonder "could they do as well if it were purely drama?" The creators took a gamble with this, and I think it paid off.

But I did get pretty excited when I recognized Rebecca from Strike Back (Lyne Renee) at the car, and that was sort of a dead giveaway for that spoiler. Was expecting her to have a bit bigger role than that, considering.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Dantes posted:

I liked how they showed us that the character themselves realize how empty their life is and how little they have to live for. Also, and this is totally me injecting stuff in the show, it felt like the episode in a Gundam show before the last stretch and every named character get killed or worse.

That's exactly how it felt to me. It feels like the calm before the storm. The creators mentioned before the season began that each episode gets crazier than the last, one-upping itself constantly, so this random period of calm has got me really tense about what's coming next.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, they've really been relying on that style lately. I like it for the most part, but I think someone noticed how awesome it looked in a previous episode in relation to the emotions in that scene, and is running the risk of overdoing it now in every episode following. It has the most impact when it's uncommon, when we're not used to seeing it and so it has a more visceral effect. I sure hope they tone it down for a little while, then bring it back for truly gripping scenes, because it's a great technique when used wisely.

And yeah, someone needs to buy the sound effects team a beer, because the opener was just brutal. I didn't know what was going on with the noise, except for being grossed out, and then they showed the meat grinder and it was just like... noooo. I didn't like you, Little Hood, but you didn't deserve that.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
My favourite part of this episode was having my brother watch it after me, and just watching all the awe and love at Job's opening turn to borderline tears at his Meet Joe Black moment. Dude has a serious crush for Job, and was super psyched to see him alive.

That, and him describing Burton walking around "with his fuckin' Goodbye Horses music" taking his glasses off and on and off and on. Burton and Rebecca being catty to each other :allears:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I'm going to have to watch the episode over again, because I didn't even realize the first time through that seeing Fat Al wasn't part of the flashback. Carrie's hair being entirely different didn't even click with me until they were sorting the guns on the bed later on in the episode. Jesus. Even when Hood mentioned being a soldier before he met her, all I thought was "Goddamn, how young was this kid when he started soldiering?"

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Actually, finishing the episode, other than a few moments, it felt kinda... blah. I mean, compared to all the hype that the lead-up provided, the entire post-Rabbit's death part was garbage water, and felt really tacked-on. Like they remembered the show was called Banshee, so let's zip on over and have a couple short scenes showing how much we can gently caress over the folks back home. The thing with Emmett and his wife was over and done in what, 30 seconds? I was so unsatisfied with that. Like, disgustingly unsatisfied, after that emotional episode before. (Also I can't believe they did Julian Sands so dirty like that. What a waste of an actor. I was convinced they were going to keep him around to be an even bigger bad next season for revenge reasons, since apparently Rabbit used to be scared of him, and they'd need something from the past to keep the Carrie plot action-relevant, rather than just family drama-relevant.)

It didn't feel like an organic season finale at all, once they moved past the New York parts. I mean, I understand why they'd want to keep the two places separate. Compared to breaking up the flow of the New York storyline to check in on Rebecca and Alex and everything, I can see why choosing to just pile everything onto the last 15 minutes was the lesser of two evils, it just felt rushed and bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So Trieste Kelly Dunn and Matthew Rauch (Siobhan and Burton) have shown up in NBC's new show Believe as FBI agents. Thought that was pretty funny, seeing them playing coworkers. It's still so weird seeing him all animated, and not wearing the bow tie and glasses.

• Locked thread