Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Pierson posted:

Usually the reward is a ton of exp compared to a normal quest and sometimes a good item on top of that.

I do not think this is accurate. From what I recall, BAM quests actually do not tend to have any better rewards than a "normal" quest, and in fact often had worse. Most the exp/loot advantage comes from actually killing them BAM itself, which tends to be more exp than a quest turn-in and they seem to drop much more money as well as occasionally better loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
As a lancer I haven't had much trouble soloing BAMs yet. It's probably much slower than DPS classes, but it's pretty much effortless.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pierson posted:

Also, in later zones, enemies will have 'gently caress you' dodging movements designed to make them move out of the giant skill you just queued up, their bigger attacks will seriously hurt you and their cues become harder to see and quicker. It's still basically mobs like any other MMO has but they do get trickier to kill as you go through the game.

Usually the reward is a ton of exp compared to a normal quest and sometimes a good item on top of that. They also give something like ten times the exp of a regular mob. They're really for group quests and social grinding though, get 3-4 people to kill a bunch and it's a blast.

ten times? more like 40-50

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Soloing the first BAM, the Basilisk, is great experience. You can get somewhere around 25% to your next level from killing one. And killing one should take about as much time as doing a single quest, but killing Basilisks will net you more experience. Try to get a good weapon from BoL and it'll go even faster. At higher levels it isn't worth it to solo, but the Basilisks are absolutely worth it.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Actually, what are those non-BAM but still have special icon mobs? They usually look just like regular mobs but hits harder and have more HP. I never had any issues with fighting them (though never for a quest or anything). But for the first time, in Essenia (sp?) zone, I fought a pair of mantid looking things that I actually thought was somewhat tougher than soloing BAMs in that zone.

I mean, soloing BAMs in the zone takes much longer and more risky, but I usually can avoid or mitigate too much damage. But those mantids... They attack so fast so that every time I attack, I end up having my health taken away... Couple potions later I finally killed them, and ofc they dropped nothing...

What are those things?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

lethial posted:

What are those things?

As far as I can tell they're just generic "world boss" mobs that aren't flagged as a "party monster" or whatever the other icon is. Originally I was thinking they had special drops like rare named spawns in other games but really most the time I find them empty. They do seem to follow the traits of slightly more HP and way more damage than normal.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Trihugger posted:

Soloing the first BAM, the Basilisk, is great experience. You can get somewhere around 25% to your next level from killing one. And killing one should take about as much time as doing a single quest, but killing Basilisks will net you more experience. Try to get a good weapon from BoL and it'll go even faster. At higher levels it isn't worth it to solo, but the Basilisks are absolutely worth it.

Not on a priest, at least, in my experience. I fought the thing for 5 minutes, saw it was still at 80% HP and said no thanks. Of course priests aren't exactly super masters of damage output. I also find it mildly annoying that of all my healing options, only two (so far at least) actually can be used on me. The self heal, and running up to stand in the regen circle. Everything else is other only. So even if I wanted to fight a long slow war of attrition and constantly heal myself, I don't really have many good options for it. But that's a digression. Soloing BAMs on a priest, doable but incredibly boring.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

If you're in the right level for some of those named monsters, they'll drop cool stuff like exp boost orbs or blue and green items. I grinded a level or so off of the Hyena one in Colossal Ruins and made a couple hundred gold in drops in under an hour.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

If you're in the right level for some of those named monsters, they'll drop cool stuff like exp boost orbs or blue and green items. I grinded a level or so off of the Hyena one in Colossal Ruins and made a couple hundred gold in drops in under an hour.

Err... really!? Right level? Do I have to be within some level range to those named mobs?

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
You shouldn't be soloing BAMs for the XP or loot. Grouping for them, or just doing regular quests will get you faster XP and probably more loot. It's also a shitload faster.

You should be soloing BAMs because it's fun as hell.

You're fighting an enemy that's been designed to fought by a bunch of people, and it shows in how much damage it does and takes. It's exhilarating knowing that if the mob gets a couple hits on you, you're toast. They're bigger and stronger, and yet you can avoid all of their clumsy attacks and manage to still smack them around. Then they enrage and the attacks aren't as clumsy anymore so it takes everything you have just to stay alive.

Until you can predict what the BAM's going to do, you're going to die. It's going to be at 10% HP and get a lucky hit in. It'll randomly decide to walk through you and stunlock you to death. The fight will move into another BAM's path, giving you two angry behemoths to fight. You'll lose crystals, time, and money spent on consumables for little gain.

If that's not your kind of thing, just group the quests or skip them altogether. They're rarely storyline quests so there's no harm in moving on to the next quest. But if that sounds right up your alley, you'll have trouble going back to the regular mobs.

(Disclaimer: There's nothing fun about soloing BAMs as a Priest or Mystic. You'll die of boredom before the mob's at half health.)

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Alkanos posted:

You shouldn't be soloing BAMs for the XP or loot. Grouping for them, or just doing regular quests will get you faster XP and probably more loot. It's also a shitload faster.

You should be soloing BAMs because it's fun as hell.

You're fighting an enemy that's been designed to fought by a bunch of people, and it shows in how much damage it does and takes. It's exhilarating knowing that if the mob gets a couple hits on you, you're toast. They're bigger and stronger, and yet you can avoid all of their clumsy attacks and manage to still smack them around. Then they enrage and the attacks aren't as clumsy anymore so it takes everything you have just to stay alive.

Until you can predict what the BAM's going to do, you're going to die. It's going to be at 10% HP and get a lucky hit in. It'll randomly decide to walk through you and stunlock you to death. The fight will move into another BAM's path, giving you two angry behemoths to fight. You'll lose crystals, time, and money spent on consumables for little gain.

If that's not your kind of thing, just group the quests or skip them altogether. They're rarely storyline quests so there's no harm in moving on to the next quest. But if that sounds right up your alley, you'll have trouble going back to the regular mobs.

(Disclaimer: There's nothing fun about soloing BAMs as a Priest or Mystic. You'll die of boredom before the mob's at half health.)

Yeah. Also, it can be a little addicting... I got brave enough with soloing BAMs starting in that desert zone, and while frustrating a lot of times (esp. when that archer pks you just as you are about to down a BAM) the experience is very exhilarating. I don't dare try to solo the special ones like ones for guild quests though... Since for those things, if I mess up just once I am done, that or I have to spend a lot of time running around so that I can bandage...

I also love the design of the BAMs that I have seen. I esp. "liked" the one in the desert that has little flower looking thing that pokes out of the sand. I mistook it for a regular named mob once and I was "pleasantly" surprised... :P

On another note, at around what level do we start to really accumlate gold? Judging by the LFG channel, higher end equipments are like 20k-30k at a minimum... I can't imaging ever saving up that much gold...

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

The very best buyable equipment in this game costs 30k. You don't need that unless you're filthy rich.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

lethial posted:

On another note, at around what level do we start to really accumlate gold? Judging by the LFG channel, higher end equipments are like 20k-30k at a minimum... I can't imaging ever saving up that much gold.

Once you stop spending. Throw all armor but jewelry into the broker.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Around level 40-45 is when I started seeing the gold start to pile up from quests. Previously, I had skipped a few quests when I started out-leveling zones, but once I saw rewards start yielding more than a gold upon completion, the money starts pouring in.

As far as hunting BAMs, don't be afraid to hit Y and check out the LFG tool. This is different than the looking for dungeon tool. It shows others in your level range who are looking for more, most often for BAM hunting. If you don't see anyone else looking for the same BAMs you are, write up a description and start LFG yourself. Depending on the time of day, you should start getting offers soon.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Welp, saw the Unified Field Labs new mount for the first time, looks really loving freaky.

Also, my screenshots look terrible, I have no idea if there's some settings I could set so it saves them in higher quality png which would be nice.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Alt-PrintScreen -> mspaint -> upload to something that is not imgur.com

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

You can also play it through steam and get the overlay for screenshots. You just, for some reason, have to rename the launcher to just Tera.exe and then put that in steam. For some reason using the normal launcher name doesn't work. :iiam:

Also, I seem to be finding gold accumulation quite easy, I think I'm pushing about 2k at level 37 now. Part of that may be boosts from selling various goodies that came with the elite sub that was my leftover time. Keys go for a ridiculous amount, almost certainly more than you'll get by actually using them on lockboxes.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

That turtle mount owns really hard.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Odd question, does each new account get 3 keys for lockboxes? If so, are people spamming new accounts and grabbing 3 free keys then selling them and sending the money to their main account through the mail system?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Fixit posted:

Odd question, does each new account get 3 keys for lockboxes? If so, are people spamming new accounts and grabbing 3 free keys then selling them and sending the money to their main account through the mail system?
The 3 lockbox keys were compensation for recent server downtime, I doubt they're giving it out to completely new accounts. If they are... that's one heck of an oversight.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Pretty sure the 3 keys were only claimable for a limited period as well. I thought I saw some complaining on the forums from people who didn't log in fast enough to grab them.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Pretty sure the 3 keys were only claimable for a limited period as well. I thought I saw some complaining on the forums from people who didn't log in fast enough to grab them.

Ah, that would make sense. Otherwise that would ruin the economy for selling keys.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You can actually just paste your clipboard on imgur.com so there's no need to save it using paint first.

Kantom
Nov 22, 2010
I've just got into this game now that it's free and it seems for some reason I'm unable to extract anything. I've found a few posts around the internet documenting similar issues but no fix. Anyway, if I completely ignore crafting am I missing out on much? Playing a warrior if it matters.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Nope! The only thing that will give you much tangible benefit while leveling is Alchemy, and if you extract for alchemy you get staff making junk and not potion making junk.

As far as your extracting issues, is your extraction skill high enough level? You have to buy a dumb scroll to level it up.

Paraduck
Jan 7, 2010

OMG I'M A CHOCOBO.
KWEH! KWEH!
Sorry if this has already been covered, I looked over the OP and didn't see anything about this specifically.

Just saw this is now Fee-to-Play, I have an account that has Founder-CE status. What does that mean for me?

Paraduck fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 14, 2013

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Paraduck posted:

Sorry if this has already been covered, I looked over the OP and didn't see anything about this specifically.

Just saw this is now Fee-to-Play, I have an account it has Founder-CE status. What does that mean for me?

You get massive priority in the login queues, you still can ride your lion erryday, and they extend their eternal love to you.

e: Really, if you have a founder account very little will seem different. You don't have character creation limits or anything like the free people would. They changed the high end enchanting stuff so you can't get it from the vendors anymore and now it comes from dungeons or the cash shop. You can still sell it on the auction house, so now you just get it from there instead of an NPC.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 14, 2013

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What do the emeralds do? The ones that you get when you enter the code in backwards?

Kantom
Nov 22, 2010

GaylordButts posted:

As far as your extracting issues, is your extraction skill high enough level? You have to buy a dumb scroll to level it up.

Yeah the skill is definitely high enough. When I drag items into the extraction interface nothing happens, the item just stays in my inventory as if I hadn't dragged the item at all. There are some threads about it with no suggested fix, but if I'm not missing out on much then I'm not really bothered about it.

RubyX
Apr 10, 2010
Fallen Rib

Hashal posted:

And ping only affects how long it takes the packets to reach the server. If you have a 200ms ping and press activate a skill 1 second after the next, it isn't going to make the skill land 1.2 seconds after the first. It will still be 1 second apart. They would just land at the server at 0.2 and 1.2.

That's the thing though - They WOULD be 1.2 seconds apart. What you describe is how every other MMO ever works. But Tera doesn't. It's easy to see if you try both the US and the EU versions.
That said, it's true that it affects archers much more than other classes.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Paraduck posted:

Just saw this is now Fee-to-Play, I have an account that has Founder-CE status. What does that mean for me?

http://support.enmasse.com/tera/tera-rising-play-for-free

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

What do the emeralds do? The ones that you get when you enter the code in backwards?

Vendor junk that sells for like 1000g per emerald.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Vendor junk that sells for like 1000g per emerald.

Oh holy poo poo nice

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

What code? Or is this an US only thing?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Demicol posted:

What code? Or is this an US only thing?
Any physical retail code can be entered backwards to receive the Tawny pack, which includes two emeralds.

Tokaii
Mar 8, 2004

Oldest Goon
July 29, 1942
I often play mmo's to max level and then quit because I'm too old and slow for the speed and complicated mechanics of many end-game raids. A few games have offered other things to do at max level. What is the end-game situation in Tera?

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004

gibbed posted:

Any physical retail code can be entered backwards to receive the Tawny pack, which includes two emeralds.

At first I thought it was a joke, but sure enough I put the box code in backwards and it took it and the two gems, two scrolls and mount were in my claim list.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Tokaii posted:

I often play mmo's to max level and then quit because I'm too old and slow for the speed and complicated mechanics of many end-game raids. A few games have offered other things to do at max level. What is the end-game situation in Tera?

The only real raids in the game right now are 5 man raids, there's a end game one that 7-20 but it isn't really needed. That being said, normal mode dungeons at 60 are not too complex to pass but the hard mode dungeons (for better gear) need you to learn about what boss does what. I'd say the end game fights are pretty fast paced in hard mode, but when it's a 5-man you can usually learn what you're doing wrong.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

killstealing posted:

You can actually just paste your clipboard on imgur.com so there's no need to save it using paint first.

That takes aeons though.

^^ Hardmode Dungeons in this game are significantly harder than in most other MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Is a 35 minute queue normal for founders accounts, did something bug out, or did a shitload of people just get retail copies?

• Locked thread