Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

tearshed posted:

Tera newbie here. Holy smokes! This game feels fluid. I'm in australia and it feels like I'm playing with 150ms ping or something. Much better than WoW response times. I think they use some cheats though, like when you cast an instant ability while moving it sets you back a little bit.

Question: Me and a group of friends (5-6 of us) all started playing tera F2P a few days ago. Some of my friends said they got "item claim" mail and it had keys in there for opening locked boxes. And those boxes had gems worth 100-200g! But I never got any keys? I only have a weird mask in item claim. What gives?

Also the experience of [Area] chat in the starting area (1-10) is so extremely Barrens Chat-like. No wait, it's worse :nms:

I really wish there was some in-depth explanations about this game. Shared bank? Huh?

Last thing: someone hit me up with some good zerker chains, if any exist.

Oh god that chat. Looks like area chat is back in low level zones. Just disable them and you won't have to listen to the creeps.

Having lag will sometimes rubber band you back when casting skills. It may not be very noticeable but this can be extremely annoying when dodging such as you trying to teleport out of a big move and it snaps you back to where you were before and kill you. If you lag don't pick a sorcerer or mystic!

Banks are shared for every character on your account. So you can put something in there swap to another character and pick them up for items that say no trade. I actually like it this way. I wouldn't need to swap around characters trying to find that one item I left in one of my many characters like back on WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

After awhile you get used to the Elins really. It is quite hilarious to tank giant BAMs as an Elin. What I find most offensive is Amani females though. Apparently forcing all the women into high heels wasn't enough, for a race with hooves they decided they need to chop away the back to give them high heel hooves. What kind of stupid sexist crap is that!

But they do look somewhat ok just the feet are really really distracting.

Alavaria posted:

Actually, this reminds me of something. Looking at the forums is confusing because this was something that is different between the NA and Korean versions of Tera. Namely, the hitbox normalization - I've seen people say either way on the whole "blocking hitbox" vs "being hit hitbox".

According to my understanding, these aren't the same, which makes sense, since blocking also depends on facing. But when they normalized the Elin/Popori "being hit" hitboxes to the size of humans/elves, they apparently did not do so to the "blocking" hitbox, which means there's an area ahove your head where you can be hit (in the air) but cannot block, because your hitbox for the blocking move does not go that high.

Can anyone with some experience with an Elin/popori (both were renormalized) tell me if you've experienced something like that?

There are some boss attacks like the sloth boss in BT and snake naga monsters who do jump hits and goes through my block even while facing them. From what I hear though, every tank has that issue regardless of race. Other than that I am able to block everything on my Elin Lancer.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

lethial posted:

Oh, does anyone have a issue where sometimes cross parry doesn't activate? I know that DFA and evasion can't be blocked out of, but I have had occasions when I finished a skill yet my cross parry is still not up despite my trying. Is this to do with lag?

Some attacks will not let you block out the animation. Some skills when you cast you are committed to, such as spring attack, wallop, challenging shout. I'm not sure about warrior I haven't played one after the blocking changes. Sometimes getting hit will stagger you stopping you from blocking for a short while leading you to more staggers and more hits and death. Sometimes block just doesn't register for some odd reason but you can just hit the block button again. Block is weird sometimes.

Phosphia posted:

I thought both large and small hitboxes were pushed toward a middle variable. Do you have any source on this?

On a related note, do mind that lock-on skill are as they have always been. You'll get complains when playing an Elin Lancer.

No one has actually complained about my Lancer yet, but they might be silently seething behind their monitors.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Beach Party posted:

Little late in answering this (thread is moving fast!) but i was experiencing this last night when tanking Cultist Refuge on my popori lancer last night. On the last boss, i could block every attack he threw at me except his charge forward attack. He would just run over me every time no matter if my shield was up or not.

Charge attacks cannot be blocked because BAMs are able to walk through you and then hit you when they are behind you knocking you over. You can counter this by tanking with your back to a wall, or dodging to the side and having them shoot away (not a good choice unless soloing)

Wall tanking example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7GSysjt-B4&t=263s
Side dodge example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TbPPt20Adk&t=255s

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I have an elf, human, and an elin and I haven't used a single cast-able racial once. Mostly because its on a one hour cooldown and I never cast because I forget I even have it. And secondly its not really important enough to fit on my completely full skill bar. Just pick a race for looks.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Thievery posted:

I thought Popori just looked like raccoons or whatever. I then went into the Popori character creator to actually see what they were.

Oh my word. I have never been so wrong.

If you make a popori make sure the tails match. Don't make like a ferret popori with a stupid raccoon tail. That totally doesn't fit and drives me crazy.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

lethial posted:

I have brought up an issue I had with this in the previous thread. But here is the issue I seem to get when I try to get myself back up against a wall: I get into situation where my whole view is taken up by the BAM and I can't see a thing, needless to say I miss all the tells.

I think it is because in those cases, I am somewhat under the BAM and my camera can't decide what zoom level to use, so my view is literally akin to having the BAM sit on my face and the only thing that I can see is the texture of its butt...

This is not a FOV issue either. :/

It depends on the walls, some are see through, while some zooms you in on crotch. Its all trial and error to see which walls are tankable at. If there isn't a choice you'll just have to tank by sound.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

tearshed posted:

Warringah mall/Brookvale/Sydney/NSW

When I went looking for Tera copies on the EB website a few days ago, the website said they had limited stock. Now it's in stock? Dunno. I also called the day before I picked it up to reserve a copy. Also Tera is the 2nd best selling pc game according to EB :psyduck:

Anyway, call before you go in to see if they have any in stock.

This is genius. Make founders skip queue, have a long queue because founders keep skipping ahead of f2p people. People get fed up and buy up all remaining unsold copies of Tera. Extra profit!

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

When you reach 20 you meet your first BAM, the basilisk. Its most likely going to stomp you into the ground the first few times trying it.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

If you can solo it fast and efficiently its actually a lot of exp. Its also quite fun and challenging to do so.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Paraduck posted:

Sorry if this has already been covered, I looked over the OP and didn't see anything about this specifically.

Just saw this is now Fee-to-Play, I have an account that has Founder-CE status. What does that mean for me?

http://support.enmasse.com/tera/tera-rising-play-for-free

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Who are these crazy stalker witches sending you love letters!

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Aww it doesn't work for my key. :saddowns:

It has to be a new key that hasn't been used yet.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Guild is full again and theres a list of goons lining up on applications!

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Paraduck posted:

Just downloaded this last night and played a little this morning as a Slayer. Got to level 12 and out of the starter area. Still not to sure how I feel about this game though, gotta put more time into it I guess.

Honestly the first time I went from its ok to its amazing was after doing my first BAM and doing a dungeon.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

The best part about that mount is sitting on your golden throne looking down at all the plebeians without one!

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Its voting time again! For those who doesn't know to vote

Click Arun where we are located at and find our guild Dragongod Knightkings and vote. Once you have voted for us, also drop some votes for our allies, Touch Fluffy Tail and No Fun Allowed on their respective continents. If I'm correct you need to be level 40 to vote after the f2p changes. You can only vote once per account.

Lolicon decide to run for Ostgarath this time, which means we more than ever need votes to win!

We're third! Don't get stuck in Arcadia or we'll be the noob vanarch of noobs!

I also have a feeling we're not getting votes from our allies, or maybe Lolicon just has that many allies.

Velveteen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 16, 2013

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Retro Access posted:

So guys I'm sorry about that lovely ACHM run where I sucked on my priest.

http://i.imgur.com/ApIYeoJ.jpg

Any advice? I don't really want to do it again. I hate it. Now I have a clear on that character, I probably won't. But eh, it's easy up to the point I can't tell what the hell I am doing.

BTW I hope people don't mind my borrowing of people from my guild on PVE to help out with queuing MC and ACHM with the SA guild on PVP. I hope you don't mind that I'm in my own guild on PVE. Everyone's been getting a go at dungeons though, so it helps both guilds I think, to have a higher amount of people they've been able to play with.

(The warrior that queued in with us was from my PVE guild.)

At least we still beat it, even though it didn't really feel like a victory. Have to thank the warrior and sorcerer for staying with us the whole time though. From what I know, the healer spams heals to make them follow you and dispel/heal every now and then when needed. I'm pretty sure we all knew what to do its just little things happening like a fat dps getting stuck in a corner right before the burn phase. Or the boss summoning a stupid jellyfish just as burn phase is starting and stuns everyone.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

You can still purchase a box copy of the game to get founders. As long as you have the code.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Carecat posted:

They could do something to make warrior tanking slightly easier. 9M is your largest taunt range and evasive roll constantly moving you and the boss, it's harsh.

Speaking of tanking, I'm in agreement with my friend that they should let berserkers tank as well to widen the number of classes that can do it. You've got one class that levels poorly and isn't very cool and the other is very demanding on player skill. Berserkers already have a block, slap the two warrior stances and Battle Cry on them too.

The lancer's challenging shout is also 10m. As a warrior, you also have block so there is no need for you to constantly roll around the boss. Just spam your threat moves and you can get your resolve back to block more. Your highest aggro move is torrent of blows which reduces the chance of you being knocked down and reduces your damage taken by 1/2 while casting it. Its a wider arc than shield counter and can be used every 7 seconds. I don't think theres anything significantly different from lancers and warriors in tanking. Warriors also have superior debuffs with combative strike and traverse cut.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Meta Ridley posted:

So I just hit 60 yesterday for first time with a slayer.
Not really sure what my priorities should be at 60 though, is there any 'i just hit 60 what do i do now' guide?

Also the items confuse the gently caress out of me. I am so afraid to buy anything, I have about 9k gold and don't want to blow 7.5K on a T14 weapon just to realize I bought something that should never be masterworked or gets replaced in a week in a random dungeon.

There are a few levels of T14 gear. Nexus < Abyss = Queen's Wrath < Regent < Visionmaker. Nexus being the weakest is the cheapest and easiest to get. You can do Nexus for reputation and buy it or run Nexus Traverse raid that spawns after a Nexus is completed. It can also now we sold on the broker. Abyss and Queen's Wrath are exactly the same stat wise. Queen's Wrath however looks the same as Regent and is therefore more expensive. How much you value looks is up to you. Regent is slightly better than Abyss but not too much. What they get is a proc on their weapon that adds a lightning DoT. On armour they can buff certain skills.

Visionmaker has higher stats and have a stun proc on the weapon instead. It shares the same armour skills as Regent. Visionmaker also has PvP stats on it making it the best pvp and pve gear in the game. However to get Visionmaker requires a lot of money and farming bop drops off hard mode bosses.

Its best to just buy Abyss or do Nexus Traverse for Nexus gear (drop rate in NT has been nerfed so probably might not get anything anymore)

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Best looking mystic ever, I need a snowsuit for my elf.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Retro Access posted:

Little encouragement to those in MCNM now.

Cleared during nexus lag, (first time, no wipes):

Archer (second time in, Jax quest armour, +8 regent bow (no good bonuses.)
Lancer (t13 lance +9, non MW nexus gear up to +6 and +9)
2x Berzerkers, these were geared in nexus +12 weap and regent chestplate but one had no clears til today.
Mystic using the goddamn much maligned game controller and my advocacy for it is the reason I'm usually snubbed. Second time in on this char (my main is sorc.) All nexus gear, all possible heal bonuses bar one on gloves, +10 weap +8 robe +6 gloves and boots.

Very, very, very loving slow but great practice for all involved.

Why are your party bars misaligned! Thats so distracting.

I did fraps our run in MCNM yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGAiEIdE_S0

I was confused at the first boss I was told to run out of the aoe when I had a DoT on me but I guess I wasn't supposed to do that as people were dying.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Eigo posted:

Forgot if I posted this before, but I'd like to buy a copy of TERA or two for a couple friends (and using the bonus gifts myself) from an Aus goon or something. I'd pay $15-20 per copy if anyone can still manage the $12 copies at EB Games.

e: I have PMs, but you can reply if you want to contact some other way!

What a jerk stealing all the boosts that your friends get.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I hate all pubbies and I hope they all quit. Who are these people who have never ran CoF before and refuse to admit or tell anyone and then wipe the group. This is not the first healer that doesn't know what dispel the boss with plague is. Not the first healer who doesn't have plague on their bar. But this is the first healer who never even learned the skill. Are you serious? Why would you not keep it on your bar? Or why would you not learn the skill at all? To save yourself 10 silver from the trainer?

I could tank mark 1 through the the enflame but they don't deserve loot. I rather get nothing than the healer getting something.

I guess I'm just bitter failing PUG after PUG.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

I can relate to the frustration and I am the type who always makes it clear in chat when I am not familiar with an instance/encounter/role that I perform, but it is also worth pointing out that a lot of pubbies have been trained to stay silent. Announcing that you are new to an instance even with the intention of being open to learning how to do it can get you kicked. This sort of thing is not exclusive to TERA but present within most MMOs. I guess what I am saying is that the core problem is the community of people who don't want to play with others that are going through their learning curve phase.

While I always speak up anyways, I would be a liar if I didn't also say that sometimes I hold my breath because I do get kicked sometimes.

The saddest part is, the dungeons itself isn't very hard. Its quite easy, there are just a few things you need to do to prevent wiping the entire party. If they knew exactly what to do then it could all be prevented. Staying silent about it would get you kicked faster when they find out you screwed up because you're new when someone asked if everyone has done the dungeon before. I will always say if it is my first run, or I'm not familiar/confident enough to tank without taking excess damage so they should stay alert for heals. Maybe its because I am a tank but I found most people will be glad to help. Everyone has gone through this situation before and passing down knowledge is always satisfying. I'm usually ok with pubbies, but if they wipe the group for a dungeon that has a 30 min timer for the dungeon and a 1 day lockout, I will get annoyed. Especially when all it takes is one click of a spell. If it fails, they can say something and I can kite the boss until he/she can dispel it again.

I will only kick someone if they are extremely undergeared or AFK at the start. Like wearing PvP gear to get into queue for ACHM when your PVE ilevel is 141 with greens.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Buhbuhj posted:

Side saddles are how ladies avoid showing their lady parts. Let's just forget that when I run forward with my Castanic she's constantly flashing her panties.

Side saddles are terrible. Women would secretly ride normally when men aren't around. Not to mention you need the help of others to get into a side saddle. But onto Tera, Elins and Amani doesn't ride side saddles. So pick one of those two if you want to ride normally!

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Alavaria posted:

There's the golden throne thing, is that side saddle as well?

You don't ride it, you sit on it

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

KaneTW posted:

First try on MCHM with 3 experienced people and another goon, got to 70% twice. Not bad with 2 newbies I guess. Probably would have gotten better results later but I was getting tired and it's like 6am.

I also found out that first two bosses drop Abyss. I think I'd actually rather waste my 2 MCHM cooldowns for first 2 bosses than do ACHM ever again.

Is the first two bosses difficult? If not then why are we doing ACHM ever!?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Eigo posted:

For all the fun we had!

4 and a half hours of fun

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

To me I don't think Elite is worth it. I don't really run enough dungeons for the 1/2 cooldown. Atlas is nice but you get so spoiled you forget all about just taking a pegasus or scroll. You only really need it if you are doing a lot of dailies. That brings me to another point. Doing 20 dailies a day is really long, tedious, and boring. It only nets you 2000g and a bit more from credits a day. The double exp is good but there are so many boosts on the broker for cheap its not worth it just for that. I suppose if you run a lot of dungeons, and you really need money, Elite is ok. There are so many ways to make money and if you are at 60 long enough, you'll have so much money you don't know what to do with it.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Congratulations! We've become the most hated guild on the server is just 1 short hour. The tears, the anger. If you are a lowbie, now is probably not the best time to level because it seems like every guild is out to declare war on us. People are even going to talk to GMs to get us removed from vanarchy. Why add the option to disable PvP if no one is going to use it? This will be a fun vanarchy.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Theres an event going on

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/guild-recruitment-video-contest

Totally should use the whispers and rage for it!

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Alavaria posted:

Yes, us dancing in Lumbertown, newbies running freely across the bridge, gankers with red names on the bridge getting nothing done. And a steam of angry messages.

"Wouldn't you like to have fun in Lumbertown? Join us today! :shobon:"

That is totally doable...

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

So much rage yet only 8 gvgs!? Shameful.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm still not sure if people are going to hate us and try to get us out of vanarchy like reddit or if we have lowbie support that we won't fall out of vanarchy next term. Seems like finding allies now would be quite hard for next term since TFT and NFA pretty much abandoned us. That and the whole server seems to hate us, or at least the most vocal members of the server.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Phosphia posted:

This is simply amazing. Let's prove them wrong in you not being able to get re-elected, that would put the buckets of tears to a test.

Arcadia first pick next term! See if they want to kick us out or get Ostgarath for themselves.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Warriors and Lancers are melee classes that are able to tank if thats your thing. Warriors can go assault stance to DPS or defensive stance to tank giving you a lot of versatility. Lancers are pure tanks but with the damage buff they can hit pretty hard for a tank. Tanks also get instant queues and are in high demand at level 60 along with healers.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

SPQR just asked us if we are willing to do some friendly GvGs with them. If enough are willing we can set one up and fight with them. Just for fun not for rubbing faces in.

According to Ferret, they are our allies when he was guild leader and they have been voting for us the whole time!

Velveteen fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

PvP gear is expensive and grinding it is tedious. Especially tedious when you go into BG without them and get destroyed by everyone with gear. You do 60 damage crits while taking 98k crits from everyone and flopping over dead every 20 seconds. I wish the good PvE accessories didn't come from PvP. I should just go back to being a carebear.

• Locked thread